As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spec Ops: The Line] Good Story, Bro!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    From Jan David Hassel on twitter:
    If you're a designer with experience in developing sandbox or open-world games would you kindly apply here: bit.ly/15juoGp #GameJobs

I was already looking forward to their next project and now I'm more interested.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kewl. If they make another installment into the Spec Ops series, I think they'll probably go in a slightly different direction somehow. I think an important part of The Line is how it's so unique. They could still go that grim, but at themaybe tackle a new set of issues. Keep that originality.

cB557 on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    So, some other notable moments:
    White Phosphorus: Tried it a few times without using the white phosphorus, but it didn't exactly go well. So, I used the mortar. I knew there was something about accidentally hitting civilians... but it hit me hard nonetheless. I never thought to even check out what the gate was at all. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that, but the fact that it never even occured to me... that's not even a moral quandry, that was just stupidity, and because of that, dozens of civilians burned to death. After that seen, I just walked head on into the soldiers. I considered just ending the game right there, with my death. When I respawned, I just sat behind a car, trying to decide whether to kill myself again. Then someone went down. I don't know whether it was Jugo or Adams, but I decided I should at least try to get them out of that city alive.

Water tanks: I shot him. It was another one of those things where I didn't have enough time to think hard about what was happening. I suppose he endeared himself to me when he didn't try to kill me on sight, and I could understand the logic behind his deciscion, even if it wasn't the course of action I'd have taken. I didn't think he deserved to burn to death.

Phosphorous
    I recall not wanting to make the decision because I was worried things would go bad but at the same time I had the feeling of running out of time and needing to push forward. That need to push forward is a monster.

Honestly I saw it coming, I went "sigh, vidja gaemz" and just jumped in whole hog and started firing. When it got to the end I went "well, this is kind of obvious" so
    I hit the start of the bridge directly and it still propagated across,
    and it made me go "yup I get that this is necessary for the story to get told, lets keep going." This isnt a negative just more of a "ok, fine, this is the best you could do to get this done".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    Waaaah, waaah! I had no choice! I used my brilliant mind to see through the stupid forced choice of using the WP! Waaah, waaah!

But seriously. I loved the game. Uncharted 3 left me disgusted at all the killing it was making me do when all I wanted to do was to adventure and find treasure.

• Options
    Anybody seen Rambo : Last Blood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjK_AqaXTPY

At 18:40. It is basically the indie ending to Spec Ops. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    There was a chance of Spec Ops getting a comic book to promote the game:

http://steininger.blogspot.de/2012/10/spec-ops-line-comic.html
    http://steininger.blogspot.de/2012/10/spec-ops-line.html

It looks good.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I will check both of those out this weekend.

• Options
    It's just concept art.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Yeah, but I'll check it out anyway. I was also refering to the video.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I just started and finished this at the weekend and I'm finally going back through this thread, reading the old discussions and the like. I think my own personal take on 'that scene' is:
    it's kind of like a videogame Milgram experiment. The debate over the WP scene seems to fall into that "I was only following orders" reaction, wherein the developers expect you to keep playing because you paid your money for a video game and you want to see what happens next. That's basically your validation, your excuse, for continuing. Some people feel cheated by that, like stopping playing the game isn't a valid choice, so to that I ask: what would make you stop? What content would be too objectionable for you? Bad gameplay? Broken mechanics? You just watched a representation of a war crime but that didn't make you (or me) stop playing. Walker screamed at Lugo "THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE", that was his order. You kept playing because you weren't going to stop, "there is no other choice". I think that's a fascinating aspect to it all.

edit: some of the discussion on the previous page about even the grenade launcher, made me remember this excellent/genuinely disturbing account from a PTSD sufferer (which is probably something you shouldn't read if you suffer from it, because I have to imagine it's just rife with triggers)
    http://www.newstatesman.com/voices/2013/05/scars-you-dont-see-what-its-live-ptsd

Spec Ops though, man. Just incredible. It used to be Half-Life 2 was the game I wanted to buy for people like some kind of videogame evangelist, but now I think it would be this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    From facebook:
    "We are kicking off Trick or Treat Week with a real Treat - We are proud to announce that we are bringing 2K's award winning crittically acclaimed experince of Spec Ops: The Line to the Mac! Select fans of Digital Tribe Games will win a Steam Key to this outstanding title. Just click on "Like" and send us a private message saying "TRICK OR TREAT"

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I think that counts as a "trick".

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Oh boy! Now we can destroy the minds of a whole new demographic!

Bring me your delicious tears.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Y'know, I've never replayed this game. Did the one run, and that's it. I suppose it's like with ME, it's boring to make the same choices again. But I feel like that sorta goes against the message of the game a bit.

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    I just started and finished this at the weekend and I'm finally going back through this thread, reading the old discussions and the like. I think my own personal take on 'that scene' is:
    it's kind of like a videogame Milgram experiment. The debate over the WP scene seems to fall into that "I was only following orders" reaction, wherein the developers expect you to keep playing because you paid your money for a video game and you want to see what happens next. That's basically your validation, your excuse, for continuing. Some people feel cheated by that, like stopping playing the game isn't a valid choice, so to that I ask: what would make you stop? What content would be too objectionable for you? Bad gameplay? Broken mechanics? You just watched a representation of a war crime but that didn't make you (or me) stop playing. Walker screamed at Lugo "THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE", that was his order. You kept playing because you weren't going to stop, "there is no other choice". I think that's a fascinating aspect to it all.

edit: some of the discussion on the previous page about even the grenade launcher, made me remember this excellent/genuinely disturbing account from a PTSD sufferer (which is probably something you shouldn't read if you suffer from it, because I have to imagine it's just rife with triggers)
    http://www.newstatesman.com/voices/2013/05/scars-you-dont-see-what-its-live-ptsd

Spec Ops though, man. Just incredible. It used to be Half-Life 2 was the game I wanted to buy for people like some kind of videogame evangelist, but now I think it would be this.

My only issue with using it for videogame evangelism is that you kinda need to have some background on the military FPS genre. The whole idea of heroism/glorifying war doesn't come through if you aren't aware of what Call of Duty is like.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Y'know, I've never replayed this game. Did the one run, and that's it. I suppose it's like with ME, it's boring to make the same choices again. But I feel like that sorta goes against the message of the game a bit.

This isn't a game that I can go back to and experience anything close to what happened that first time. I know this, so I know it will never be reinstalled. I made my choices. It was exilarating and beyond horrifing for me. The only point would be to go back and examine my choices, but that examination of the choices would be tainted with the knowledge of what happened.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think any subsequent playthrough for Spec Ops could deliver the same as the first playthrough did. I do want to go through the co-op at some point, but I don't know when I'll ever play through the singleplayer portion again.

I did it in one sitting, and the milgram experiment analogy that was mentioned earlier in the thread was only semi apt for me - I felt that I had to keep going, even as things got worse and worse, no matter what, I had to see it through. Not because of "orders" though, but because If I didn't, than everything I did would have been for nothing. I had to find some conclusion to the story so that I could find some way to 'excuse' everything that I had did up until then.

So I wasn't continuing because it was 'my job' or because I was 'just following orders', I was continuing because, as we sunk deeper and deeper, as we pushed The Line farther and farther, I had to know that there was a point to everything that had happened, so in a weird way I was trying to justify the means to an end even as the means grew worse and worse. I killed a few people, and I had to know why. I killed a few more people, and I had to know why. I
    burned an entire group of civilians to death in the most horrific way possible, I doomed an entire city to die of thirst, I unloaded round after round into an angry mob of people

and I had to know why.

Which, to me, is pretty fucking deep for what looked like a typical manshoot. I knew a bit about the slow descent and atmosphere that the game had before I played it from the Steam thread, but I can only imagine what was going through the mind of the typical cowadootie dudebro gamer who bought it because it looked cool and went in completely blind.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I just wanted to top off the headshot cheevo. I wonder if the
    angry mob of rock-throwing civilians
    counts, that's gotta be at least a couple dozen right there. Of course you can only get like two or three, they're so quick and all, but still... ooh! Ooh! Does
    shooting yourself
    at the end count? I feel like it should, that's robbing you of a kill otherwise, and...

...what? What's everybody staring at?

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Lux wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

My only issue with using it for videogame evangelism is that you kinda need to have some background on the military FPS genre. The whole idea of heroism/glorifying war doesn't come through if you aren't aware of what Call of Duty is like.
    I don't think this is the case. It's pretty standard for games to cast the player in the role of the powerful hero who overcomes all odds to achieve victory. I think that if you are aware of what videogames are like, you can probably extrapolate that in the military shooter genre Good Guys win, Bad Guys lose and England America prevails.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Stolls wrote: »
    counts, that's gotta be at least a couple dozen right there. Of course you can only get like two or three, they're so quick and all, but still... ooh! Ooh! Does
    shooting yourself
    at the end count? I feel like it should, that's robbing you of a kill otherwise, and...

It's just a game.

I still wanna get the last audio logs I'm missing but a friend has my copy.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Stolls wrote: »
    shooting yourself

It's just a game.

I still wanna get the last audio logs I'm missing but a friend has my copy.

I missed a few myself, and I admit I'm almost curious enough to give it another go. Almost.

I think it's a credit to the game that there's actually a compelling mystery dangled in front of the player. Questions like "Who knew about the storm beforehand? What exactly happened to the 33rd? Why was Konrad's message broadcast just now? Why is everything so fucked up here?" are all front and center, and the game did a great job making me want to know more, even as things got progressively darker. It has a sense that even if it was played straight - not necessarily "America fuck yeah", just less "THE HORROR THE HORROR" - it still would've had an interesting story to tell.

To me, that made later events hit all the harder. God help me, but I still wanted to know, even after it was abundantly clear that nothing good lay ahead.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Interesting bundle: http://www.2kgames.com/blog/ring-in-the-holidays-with-2k-s-new-29-99-holiday-bundles
    With one of the biggest shopping seasons of the year quickly approaching, 2K is ready to celebrate the holidays and ring in the New Year with an assortment of great deals! Available for purchase now at online and/or select retailers, fans, friends and families can kick-off their holiday shopping sprees by taking home some of the most popular 2K hits bundled together for the low price of $29.99*

blog_bundles_newoutlaw-17536-cropped.jpg

Man, playing BL2 after Spec Ops is an awful experience.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    "Rouges and Outlaws Collection" is the absolute last place I'd put a game that's whole point is "See what happens when you just follow orders."

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Except the point was that he didn't follow orders.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Well, yeah your right.

He didn't, but YOU follow video game orders.

I dunno, I didn't state it correctly, but I don't consider him a "rouge" or "outlaw".

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Well, technically, you can still be rouge and follow orders. You just need a lot of make-up.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Well, technically, you can still be rouge and follow orders. You just need a lot of make-up.

Tactical rouge camo. Hides the blood stains.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i really think Rouge-likes will be the big trend next year.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Hopefully their next project will be something that makes people feel bad for playing Candy Crush Saga and other facebook/browser/phone time waster games.

What have you done, your children starved to death while you were beating that level, monster!

• Options
    Kewl. If they make another installment into the Spec Ops series, I think they'll probably go in a slightly different direction somehow. I think an important part of The Line is how it's so unique. They could still go that grim, but at themaybe tackle a new set of issues. Keep that originality.

I have seen a few minutes of that Viscera cleanup game and I've thought of a game where you need to investigate war crimes on a sci-fi setting. Kinda like Mass Effect made by the Witcher people.

I got the Witcher 2 for the 360 but I have barely touched it. I want to play the first one before I get into it.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Hopefully their next project will be something that makes people feel bad for playing Candy Crush Saga and other facebook/browser/phone time waster games.

What have you done, your children starved to death while you were beating that level, monster!

You were not there! YOU WERE NOT THERE! :P

From facebook:
    Happy launch day everyone! Spec Ops: The Line for the Mac is now available on Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/50300

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Oh, even better, a game whose twisted unfolding narrative villainizes twitter.

All through the game you are led to believe that you are posting witty bon mots but in a surprise twist it is revealed that you were actually calling all your co-workers racist epithets and then you are fired and die homeless.

Too close to reality or too far from fun?
    ok, i'll stop now

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    The game has a 75% discount on XBL during the 2K sale.

From Yager's facebook page:
    This goes out to all the skilled Technical Artists:

YAGER is growing and there is a lot to do for passionate and skilled individuals. Right now, we’re looking for a Technical Artist with experience for an exciting new AAA IP.

We want someone who believes it’s their job to work together with a team to deliver a great product, fixing problems when necessary but also supporting the team in taking care of their own problems. Someone who inspires others with their self-driven mindset, who owns things from start to finish, who loves to make others more effective and finds the right tools to do so. In short, an awesome person who likes to push things.

I hope they reveal that soon.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    my interest level in another dead island game raised from 0% to 3% with the announcement that yager is developing it

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Before they made a Spec Ops game the Spec Ops franchise was almost literally the worst military shooter franchise in the world. So, maybe they'll do something interesting. But we'll see. Without the same writer as Spec Ops there's no reason to think things will be amazing, and I guess that guy isn't back for this game, is he?

• Options
    Doubt it, Walt moved to a 2K office in Frisco.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The gameplay of Spec Ops is nothing special, it's only when combined with the setting/themes/screwed up imagery/etc that it became something impressive. So adding just the gameplay team to a completely lifeless franchise like Dead Island (no pun intended) gets a big ~whatever, who cares~ from me.