Options

[Sleeping Dogs] You slut! You dishonor our family!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

Dang, didn't go back to it after I started the Island dlc.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Wow, that's surprisingly abrupt.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wow, that's surprisingly abrupt.

yeah, last I heard they were working on some bad sounding riot game, sounded like State of Emergency, but they were doing stuff. V.abrupt. :<

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I saw this thread bumped and hoped for happy news.

Instead you tear my heart out. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sorry. What happened to the Triad Wars project? I don't recall seeing it out there.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Triad Wars had an open beta in 2015, it was not well received and was quietly cancelled in January this year.

This was that other thing they were working on;
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/412720/

Only came out a couple weeks back. Must've done horribly to shut down so soon...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Sorry. What happened to the Triad Wars project? I don't recall seeing it out there.

It ended after the beta didn't go so well. Smash and grab was probably an attempt to use what they learned.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    such a shame since Sleeping Dogs was a solid game. really didn't get the attention or praise that it deserved it seems. hopefully the folks at United Front will all be able to find somewhere else to move onto.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    such a shame since Sleeping Dogs was a solid game. really didn't get the attention or praise that it deserved it seems. hopefully the folks at United Front will all be able to find somewhere else to move onto.

I feel like the problem that Sleeping Dogs had was that many wrote it off as a generic GTA clone, when it did actually have a pretty unique (and awesome) flavour to it.

More open world martial arts games, please.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    One of my fav games

Sad to see there might never be a sequel :(

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Does Squeenix own the IP? If so, there's a teensy sliver of a chance we could see something again.

...then again, we're in an era of a shrinking number of increasingly-familiar AAA games. Which doesn't leave room for something that sold modestly at best.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

I feel like the problem that Sleeping Dogs had was that many wrote it off as a generic GTA clone, when it did actually have a pretty unique (and awesome) flavour to it.

More open world martial arts games, please.

i know i did at first. if it hadn't been free on the 360 i doubt i'd have ever gotten round to it. did purchase the Definitive Version to try and make up for it though i guess that was too little too late.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I ignored it at first too. Bought it on the 360 when I heard it was good. Then I bought the defnitive edition on XBone. And again on PS4... it was a really good game! Sad news to hear the studio closed :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not a giant GTA fan and I only got this when it was dirt-cheap. Turns out I liked it more than all the GTAs to that point.

• Options
    also the fact that it was a re-branding of an attempted True Crime reboot didn't help it initially. that series was god awful and being tied to it even tangentially was always going to hurt.

• Options
    also the fact that it was a re-branding of an attempted True Crime reboot didn't help it initially. that series was god awful and being tied to it even tangentially was always going to hurt.

I remember reading about it in Game Informer when it was a True Crime game and it didn't light any fires under me at all. There's so much about the game that's great but doesn't come through until you play it.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This bums me out tremendously

But then, I don't know why or how United Front avoided making a sequel to Sleeping Dogs for so long

Maybe it cost too much? That's the only thing that made sense to me, because why else would they make Triad Wars and Smash + Grab if they could make Sleeping Dogs 2

I guess they were hurting a lot more financially than I always thought. I figured Sleeping Dogs did pretty dang well critically and commercially after it came out and surprised everyone

I'll have to replay it soon, in memorium

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

But then, I don't know why or how United Front avoided making a sequel to Sleeping Dogs for so long

Maybe it cost too much? That's the only thing that made sense to me, because why else would they make Triad Wars and Smash + Grab if they could make Sleeping Dogs 2

I guess they were hurting a lot more financially than I always thought. I figured Sleeping Dogs did pretty dang well critically and commercially after it came out and surprised everyone

it certainly surprised everyone, and it did well critically but i don't think that ever really translated into sales. also it released in a period where even big sellers were seen as disappointing by Square-Enix due to them losing big on some FF stuff. also i think it was SE that pushed them towards making Triad Wars instead of a real sequel, so i'm not sure how blame you can lay at the feet of United Front on that one.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2016
    Fuuuck.

I am sad to see the studio close, I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs a lot.

But also, stop closing studios! Its hard enough finding a job, without when they keep flooding the market.

Morkath on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    I had always held out hope for a sequel. Very bummed.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

it certainly surprised everyone, and it did well critically but i don't think that ever really translated into sales. also it released in a period where even big sellers were seen as disappointing by Square-Enix due to them losing big on some FF stuff. also i think it was SE that pushed them towards making Triad Wars instead of a real sequel, so i'm not sure how blame you can lay at the feet of United Front on that one.

I wonder how much they lost on the pricing mix up too, that happened pretty close to the release date iirc.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I'm super bummed about this. Asides from RDR, Sleeping Dogs was that only other game where I got fully immersed in the world. Loved the protagonist, loved feeling like I was exploring a piece of Hong Kong, really enjoyed the soundtrack, and the fighting was a hell of a lot of fun.

Seems they lost direction after they released Sleeping Dogs. Triad Wars was a mistake, they should have just went for a sequel instead of following in this Free 2 play bullsh**.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Sleeping Dogs was Shenmue... except it was good.

Yep, I said it, needed to be said.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Took me a while but I finally finished the game. Dim Mak for everything.

Disappointed by ending. Kinda saw that coming.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the FFXIII period, where everything else was expected to shore up disappointing sales on that front (see: reactions to Tomb Raider being the bestselling TR game ever as "disappointing")

• Options
    Yup, sales expectations for AAA games have been rising steadily as production costs have gone up. It's very possible Sleeping Dogs never recouped its budget. Though that's not necessarily a criticism of United Front, as that budget was probably set by Squeenix.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

The main game ending, or the DLC that is basically an epilogue/actual ending?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yup, sales expectations for AAA games have been rising steadily as production costs have gone up. It's very possible Sleeping Dogs never recouped its budget. Though that's not necessarily a criticism of United Front, as that budget was probably set by Squeenix.

it's a bit muddy since the game started life a True Crime reboot under Activision. i'm not sure anyone has ever spoken about how much changed between Activision pulling the plug and SE picking up the retooled game, or how far along it was in development. i don't think it was close to finished, but SE picked up more than just the concept i'm sure.

• Options
    edited February 2017

The main game ending, or the DLC that is basically an epilogue/actual ending?

Main game.

I think I've only got the kung fu island dlc.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited February 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You mean Activision. Game was dropped by them almost going gold and Squeenix picked the game at bargain price.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah the main cost for actual distribution and marketing was probably lower than most of their other western releases in that time window

Though really, my comment is just an excuse to repost the first (and my favorite) trailer for the game and be sad that the game will probably not see a continuation for years, if at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE2ADqLuzvU

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    We may never again get another Sleeping Dogs game, but at least we are getting a movie, with Donnie Yen.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    We may never again get another Sleeping Dogs game, but at least we are getting a movie, with Donnie Yen.

That's amazing

A film doing well is the best route to getting a new game at this point

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    could even be the first genuinely good video game movie. i wonder if they'll go with the same general story, or just something that follows the same themes.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    could even be the first genuinely good video game movie. i wonder if they'll go with the same general story, or just something that follows the same themes.

I'd be very cool with them going after the themes and making Sleeping Dogs an anthology umbrella for crime fiction in China.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I feel like Donnie Yen is a little old to be playing Wei Shen exactly as he is characterized in the game, but they could easily tweak the story to fit the actor.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I feel like Donnie Yen is a little old to be playing Wei Shen exactly as he is characterized in the game, but they could easily tweak the story to fit the actor.

this is why i'm wondering. like you say, they can certainly tweak it so that it's essentially the same only with an older Wei Shen but they could also just use the game as a jumping off point. have a similar story, explore the same themes, but not doggedly* adhering to the games story.

*yes that pun was intended.

• Options

I'd be perfectly fine with movie Wei Shen occasionally stating he's too old for this shit.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Why not use Wei Shen's VA who is a Hong Kong actor?

• Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why not use Wei Shen's VA who is a Hong Kong actor?

Donnie Yen's been in previous stuff by the director so it may have been a package deal to get them on board?

Steam Profile