As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadow of the Colossus movie.

13»

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think the movie would have to have no dialogue at all, really, to make me happy. I think it would even work better to have Dormin be silent; maybe have hieroglyphs in the temple demonstrating what he has to do to resurrect someone. Or even some creepy happenings as the temple opens to him and communicates with him (wordlessly).

The only word Wander speaks should be "Aggro!", and eventually "AAAGGROOOOOOO"

I don't think they'd do it that way, but I can hope.

As mentioned, it would have to be a slow movie, one with a visual emphasis on landscape, on the smallness of the protagonist as he makes his way through wide shots of ruined castles and rolling hills and craggy mountainsides. But at its root, SotC is not a very action-packed game; you spend a lot of time just traversing the countryside. That's not great movie material. It would have to be a short film, or they'd have to add some events in - puzzles to solve, obstacles to deal with, dream sequences, monologues, etc. - between colossi. And all 16 would clearly not be in it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    You could really do the whole thing with only one colossus.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    You know, people keep saying there's nothing to do in SotC between killing Colossi other than ride around and see the sites. Well, that's just not true. You can totally hunt down silver geckos on the save shrines and find all the life enhancing fruit on all the trees. Granted, it's not much, but it is there. And there are benefits from doing so. It's just the game doesn't really point this out to you at all. I also made a game of catching the birds at the main temple and riding them around as much as they'd let me. Same with the eagle that soars by you at times--you can jump off your horse and grab that sucker and fly around.

As for a movie? Yeah, I could see that, but it'd need some pretty heavy changes to the structure. You'd need to go back and forth at times between Wander and the group that's pursuing him. Also, you'd need to personify Dormin somehow. Give him an ethereal body of some sort. Maybe, as others have said, cut down the number of colossi. Hmm, have to think about this some more.

steam_sig.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You know, people keep saying there's nothing to do in SotC between killing Colossi other than ride around and see the sites. Well, that's just not true. You can totally hunt down silver geckos on the save shrines and find all the life enhancing fruit on all the trees. Granted, it's not much, but it is there. And there are benefits from doing so. It's just the game doesn't really point this out to you at all. I also made a game of catching the birds at the main temple and riding them around as much as they'd let me. Same with the eagle that soars by you at times--you can jump off your horse and grab that sucker and fly around.

Yes, the publisher forced the designer to add in some 'bonus content'. The intent of the game is still to provide you with a singular purpose, and one of a very sinister nature.
    Yeah, I could see that, but it'd need some pretty heavy changes to the structure. You'd need to go back and forth at times between Wander and the group that's pursuing him. Also, you'd need to personify Dormin somehow. Give him an ethereal body of some sort. Maybe, as others have said, cut down the number of colossi. Hmm, have to think about this some more.

Right. In other words, you'd have to completely ruin the point of the narrative in order to put it in movie format.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Yes, the publisher forced the designer to add in some 'bonus content'. The intent of the game is still to provide you with a singular purpose, and one of a very sinister nature.
    Yeah, I could see that, but it'd need some pretty heavy changes to the structure. You'd need to go back and forth at times between Wander and the group that's pursuing him. Also, you'd need to personify Dormin somehow. Give him an ethereal body of some sort. Maybe, as others have said, cut down the number of colossi. Hmm, have to think about this some more.

Right. In other words, you'd have to completely ruin the point of the narrative in order to put it in movie format.

Why, because Dormin being a bodiless entity that was torn to pieces is somehow dreadfully important to the narrative? Hell just make him a floating mask that only appears in dreams.

• Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, pretty much. I mean, you could hit all the highlights, such as they are, and just interject a bit more characterization and whatnot. But it wouldn't be the same. By its very nature, a movie never could be.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't understand all this "there's too many colossi" talk. Fuck sakes. You show the one's you have time/money to do well, and then just do a montage of Wander getting is kill on and being corrupted. You do one or two, to show him learning to cope with trying to kill thing that are hundreds of times his mass, skip the middle where the narrative doesn't advance much, and then do the just obscenely huge one at the end.

What's next, "How horrible, there's no way to adapt Time Attack mode to a movie."?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The only Colossi that really matter to the emotional narrative are the first and last. The others are somewhat filler, though filler that serves a purpose.

The last Colossus cannot be the only one, it just wouldn't work in terms of narrative. Two Colossi would feel arbitrary. Maybe three? The first, a filler for a good action scene and some added space for characterization, and then the last? Three is a good number, people never question why things come in threes.

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    As long as they don't over complicate it, the movie should be fine. Simple, much like the game, is what will work best. Have some colossi, expand the back story a bit, and make it intense. And don't give it a happy ending.
    Wander doesn't need to live and ride of happily into the sunset with Mono.

steam_sig.png
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    A SotC film done right would be totally unmarketable: an art film sensibility with a Blockbuster budget.

Hachface on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Ryadic wrote: »
    As long as they don't over complicate it, the movie should be fine. Simple, much like the game, is what will work best. Have some colossi, expand the back story a bit, and make it intense. And don't give it a happy ending.
    Wander doesn't need to live and ride of happily into the sunset with Mono.
    That would really ruin a plan to do ICO as a sequel, too.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Every video game is art. Shadow of the Colossus is a good video game, but it's entirely possible that the things that make it interesting in one medium may not survive the transition to another one.

I imagine it will be quite visually stunning. That aspect should translate well.

They are going to be temper to make it something more than the tale of a boy and his horse fighting giants. They are going to write dialogue.

Those are pretty big potential hurdles.

I kinda wish it was Michael Bay. I mean I'd be able to ignore the tacked on talking, and focus on the important bit : the big tall terrible giants.

The big tall stereotyped giants and their fart and urine jokes.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    They need to at least do three colossi. One for the realization that doing it is pretty evil the middle one to show his transition to evil looking weirdo and then the last.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    They need to at least do three colossi. One for the realization that doing it is pretty evil the middle one to show his transition to evil looking weirdo and then the last.

It shouldn't be apparent that it's evil at first, not until he takes one or two down first. Not sure which Colossi represents the loss of innocence. Maybe #5? The bird is already one of the coolest looking Colossi, and it's content to ignore Wander until he starts shooting at it.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    A SotC film done right would be totally unmarketable: an art film sensibility with a Blockbuster budget.

Seriously. I can't see them doing a live-action version of it.

It's likely going to be a kiddie-fied CG version, something like How To Train Your Dragon... except it'll be How To Stab Your Colossus.

I'd rather they spend their time and effort to make a good NieR live-action movie. Starring Ron Perlman.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    NieR would still have to be more of an art-film than a blockbuster, and they'd have to convey how important words and language are in the story without fucking it all up or making it sound dumb.

How could they do nier without drakengard and huge babbies?