As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ron Gilbert's "The Cave"] Out now on Wii-U, PS3, XBOX360 and PC

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Played the demo on Xbox, bought on WiiU shortly thereafter. Shoulda just bought on xbox... WiiU dl speeds suck butts!

Im incredibly surprised by how good this is. Do the characters' special abilities actually serve a purpose? In the demo at least, i saw no use for the Time traveller, hillbilly or twins' abilities.

theres an area specifically tailored to each character right?

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but I also definitely used the Time Traveller's ability in the
    knight's area to get the dragon's key

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's out on Steam! I'm DLing it right now.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    These twins are fucked in the head...

Having a blast with this game so far. It's very similar to Portal in terms of "Aha!" moments. Did the Hillbilly's area last night, and made it to the twins area before stopping for the night. I wish there was a button you could hit to make the group stay together, and then split them up as needed, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Lots of fun so far, but got stuck in the Mine Cart section
    top cart, where you have to hit the track switch... it won't let me interact till I'm already past the switch. Seems like this is the right solution, but my input is delayed somehow

Oh well.

if you haven't figured this part out yet
    you can't use your hands to interact with the switch

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think there's a bug for the hillbilly's area. This at the very end.
    The hay bales that block your way out don't go away like they should. I only stood there for about a minute or two, but I felt like they should have disappeared more or less instantly. I had to log out to go to bed, but when I came back in today the hay bales were gone.

YL9WnCY.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Hey Rorus or C2B, do you think you could edit the subject line to reflect more platforms? Just don't want people to think "oh I don't have a Playstation" and miss this.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I just got the play this for about 15 minutes this morning before work...This probably was just coincidence thats not specific to that character, but as my first character i picked the scientist, then moved to the right and saw gordon freeman's crowbar, i had to laugh.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The hay bales that block your way out don't go away like they should. I only stood there for about a minute or two, but I felt like they should have disappeared more or less instantly. I had to log out to go to bed, but when I came back in today the hay bales were gone.

THis happened to me too. I just ran back to the left, a couple times, and finally they collapsed.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular

THis happened to me too. I just ran back to the left, a couple times, and finally they collapsed.

i found that they collapsed when i ran through them with the hillbilly. when i tried to run through with the others first they wouldnt collapse

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
    edited January 2013
    moleface wrote: »

i found that they collapsed when i ran through them with the hillbilly. when i tried to run through with the others first they wouldnt collapse

Likewise.
    moleface wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Lots of fun so far, but got stuck in the Mine Cart section
    top cart, where you have to hit the track switch... it won't let me interact till I'm already past the switch. Seems like this is the right solution, but my input is delayed somehow

Oh well.

if you haven't figured this part out yet
    you can't use your hands to interact with the switch

Yeah, I took a step back and slapped myself for being blind.

So finished my first run with Hillbilly, Twins, and Adventurer. Currently running Knight, Time Traveler, and Monk.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    I seem to have hit an impasse. Just after the twins' area
    there are two directions i can go. One requires the Knight i think, the other has a door with lights similar to the time traveler. I have her with me, but the door is locked.
    I've run back and forth a million times, and im sure im missing something easy... but i just cant see it.

Good god, im dumb... Figured it out.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Really, I kind of wish the Cave configured itself to the group that enters instead of just having locked off parts. I thought that was what was happening when they did that falling bit at the start.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The knight's ability to survive falls is the best

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2013
    Finished the twins area, just about melted my brain figuring out the time traveler's area, finished the zoo, made it to the next area, activated the final cave painting for the twins... and my WiiU hardlocked. I had not saved at all.

Fucking AWESOME

Edit: Oh sweet merciful zombie Jesus! It auto saves! Crisis averted!

Skull2185 on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The time traveler one is a little twitchy.
    You need to make sure one of your guys is holding the boulder when you switch. You can't just block it.

I like how allot of the cause and effect really makes no sense.

Krathoon on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The time traveler one is a little twitchy.
    You need to make sure one of your guys is holding the boulder when you switch. You can't just block it.

I like how allot of the cause and effect really makes no sense.

I liked the little touches on the Time Traveler one.
    Especially the corpses when you're doing the stuff that involves leaving one of the characters holding something up, since you're basically leaving that character to rot until they die and their corpse continues to hold the boulder/well rope up.

Until you switch back to them, at least, and then everything's okay.

Wibbly-wobbily timey-wimey stuff at it's finest.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Finished the game with the Time Traveler, Hillbilly and the Twins.

I thought the twins were effed up, and they are. The Hillbilly though... he's really effed up... Gonna do Knight, Adventurer and Scientist next. Probably finish the monk with the time traveler and whoever i like best from playthrough 2.

Really pleased with The Cave. Very fun little twisted puzzle game.

edited January 2013
    It's a lot of fun, but A) There is no character to the characters. I enjoy their little backstories, but...I don't know why they have to be completely silent. Some of the NPCs you meet have more character. I'm also noticing a serious lack of character skills coming to play. Maybe it was my Scientist/Hillbilly/Time Traveler combo, but I just cannot remember situations where my character skills came in useful outside of that character's specific act where it's built around that skill.

I think the game is similar to Quantum Conundrum in that, while fun, it never reaches that level of excellence you'd expect from the pedigree.

One creepy spoiler for second-playthrough.
    The three trinkets you get for the gift shop are the desired items of whomever you used for your last playthrough, complete with their skeletons.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Found a bug in the PC version that let me completely bypass the knights area. not that I wanted to. (I couldnt get back up to do it). The area where there are two flat plates, right before the knight area, i had a character hanging on the rope of the right one, and climbed the rope to the top, but it let me keep on climbing, then i started walking left behind the wall until i fell behind the scenery until i hit an open cave where it deposited me.

Beat it with knight/twins/scientist last night, its a fun game, but the fun factor is reduced by the technical problems and some gameplay elements that could have been done better. I'm sure ill at least beat it with every character, if not every combination.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Huh. Beat the game again, and watched the credits this time. Ol' Cliffy B was a playtester on thus game.

Turkey
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's a lot of fun, but A) There is no character to the characters. I enjoy their little backstories, but...I don't know why they have to be completely silent. Some of the NPCs you meet have more character. I'm also noticing a serious lack of character skills coming to play. Maybe it was my Scientist/Hillbilly/Time Traveler combo, but I just cannot remember situations where my character skills came in useful outside of that character's specific act where it's built around that skill.

I think the game is similar to Quantum Conundrum in that, while fun, it never reaches that level of excellence you'd expect from the pedigree.

One creepy spoiler for second-playthrough.
    The three trinkets you get for the gift shop are the desired items of whomever you used for your last playthrough, complete with their skeletons.
    Unless you don't leave the cave with the object of their desire ;)

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
    edited January 2013
    Massive bugs in the time traveler area/puzzle. Playing on Wii U with three local players.

First of all, non-camera-focused players can still use their powers when they're in other time periods. You go to where they would be standing if they were there, they press their special ability button and you see all the effects. They can also sort of jump/jiggle/move objects they are near or grabbing.

But the worst is horrible bugs with the primary puzzle. Early on I figured out that
    we needed to go to the past, hold the boulder away from the crack, go to present, hold the well crank, go to future and hopefully get the bucket.

We followed through on those steps though and had trouble the whole way.
    First, if you don't hold the boulder close enough to the crack, it is still sitting there being held by a skeleton in the present, and despite having a well in the present there will never be a busted well in the future. It's possible that this is intentional, that the skeleton eventually gave way and the boulder destroyed the well? Just seemed really counterintuitive. If you hold the boulder close to the well's location in the present, it will simply be gone in the present and you will get a broken well in the future.

Second, no matter how much I held the crank in the present, the bucket would never show up in the future. I had no idea what we were doing wrong. I went on Miiverse, I went to GameFAQs, I came here. No help. After an hour of messing around and more time looking for help, my friend noticed the bucket appearing for a split-second when we went to the future, but then it would disappear. Next time he grabbed it as quickly as possible, and held it briefly, but it disappeared from his hands. He went elsewhere, we changed time periods again and changed back, and suddenly it was in his hands again. We solved it as quickly as possible and left the area super pissed!

So that's the worst.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I'm kind of annoyed at how easy the 'good' endings are to get, if you know how to get them. And that on the other hand some people (relatives of mine) never find them because their playstyle means they'd never do that, because it doesn't do anything in most games.
    By which I mean keep talking to the shopkeeper after getting the object. I always keep clicking on people to hear all their dialogue, so I found it easy. Some people don't do that though, because 99% of the time it's 'why are you still here' if anything at all.

... Theres good endings?

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    ... Theres good endings?

Yeah I just figured this out today as someone had posted a picture on MiiVerse that showed a branching path on the little boxes in the slideshow mode.

Also, this is pissing me off, but I've beaten the game twice now and both times I am missing exactly one picture for one character (so now two). It's annoying the hell out of me. I'm on my 3rd playthrough and I bought the other two I was missing, so hopefully I'll find the missing pictures this time.

Anyways, spoilers:
    So is The Cave supposed to be Hell? Or Purgatory or something like that? Obviously each character represents one of the seven deadly sins, but I noticed a few other weird things. At the very end when you are going back through to find something to exchange for your gifts, one of the areas that used to be a water spring is now a flaming pit. Kind of seemed to me like when you were going back through that area and everything was being packed up in boxes, like you were seeing "behind the scenes", maybe that was meant to be a little "behind the scenes" bit too? Also I noticed the ladder you climb out at the end seems to go nowhere - the camera pans up to solid dirt. Maybe just a weird transition, but maybe not? And maybe this was a coincidence, but my second time through, the first set of treasures I had to find for the gift shop were the exact same three characters I picked my first time (not the case the third time through, but two of them I was using were characters I had already played through once, so maybe that screwed something up - can't have the Hillbilly grab something from a Hillbilly skeleton :P)

Edit:
    I'm also noticing a serious lack of character skills coming to play. Maybe it was my Scientist/Hillbilly/Time Traveler combo, but I just cannot remember situations where my character skills came in useful outside of that character's specific act where it's built around that skill.

Some of them are useful outside their area. Monk has a few uses (ex: you can steal the key in the Knight's area through the bars without actually solving that puzzle), Time Traveler can get through a couple areas without waiting on a lever - same with the Adventurer (there are a decent number of hooks). And there are a decent number of things to hack for the Scientist (in fact I think I was able to "hack" the battery at the very beginning before stopping the dripping water to remove it without the bucket). Twins are probably useful too.

Otherwise I agree, the special skills are generally not used much. The Hillbilly is by far the worst too - he can be used in like 2 places :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Oh wow! There are good endings. Just got Hillbilly's. Neat!

I dont think the characters are supposed to represent the 7 deadly sins. None of them represent Sloth or Gluttony. I think its just a group of 7 assholes.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Given the way it's presented (and the previous works of the authors) I think the Cave is pretty much what he says he is....a talking Cave with whatever a person most desires within. It's very unlikely he was meant to be 'hell' as such.

As far as the characters, their stories as you find them is basically the 'buildup' to the crime they are going to commit, and the cave creates a representation of that (ones like the kids literally, ones like the knight in which he commits a crime similar by 'cheating' of a sort). The endings are the result of whether the choose to follow their original path or not. As the Cave says 'whether they learn anything'.

So it's likely they got plucked out of whatever bad situation they were in (that they caused) right before the critical moment, and it doesn't seem to matter the location or time period, as characters like the knight and adventurer (and kids) are obviously from different time periods.

Honestly, and I know this is silly, if I had to compare the Cave as a character and how he works, it would be 'Q' from star trek. Very powerful, with a set of rules for himself that he never bothers to explain, and a 'now what did we learn' attitude, but with the intention of actually teaching something beyond the levels of snark. And then Voyager happened and they ruined his character, but let's just forget that happened.

Astale on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I dont think the characters are supposed to represent the 7 deadly sins. None of them represent Sloth or Gluttony. I think its just a group of 7 assholes.

The Knight is Sloth
    because he does nothing while the dragon burns the kingdom
    . I think the Twins are gluttony but I haven't gotten to their story yet.

The rest:
    The Monk - Wrath (anger over being passed over causes him to kill his Master)
    The Scientist - Greed (she sold nuclear secrets to bad people for money)
    The Time Traveler - Envy (she was jealous of the other guy getting Employee of the Century or whatever)
    The Adventurer - Pride (essentially vanity and considering herself the best treasure hunter and hogging all the glory)
    The Hillbilly - Lust (he lusted after the woman and burned the carnival down when he couldn't have her)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Turkey
    He should have based it on the nine circles of hell, because I do not want to play a third time just for one character.

YL9WnCY.png
    Hmm, You make a compelling argument, Warlock.

Kim kong
    Hmm, You make a compelling argument, Warlock.

Not really because there's still no gluttony.
    You could argue that the twins' area is based around food, given that you have to feed the dog and poison the soup...and you could argue that the twins are gluttons for freedom or something, but both of those are big stretches.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Am kind of stuck at the beginning with the Monk, Twins and Hillbilly. I have 3 of the 4 tickets, but cannot trick the weight teller. Tried outsmarting him with the barbell but either my timing is off or the approach is wrong.

Any hints?

Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    Am kind of stuck at the beginning with the Monk, Twins and Hillbilly. I have 3 of the 4 tickets, but cannot trick the weight teller. Tried outsmarting him with the barbell but either my timing is off or the approach is wrong.

Any hints?

Indirect spoiler
    EVERY vendor has a purpose

A little more
    You're on the right track

Complete spoiler
    have the magician make the dumbbell invisible

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Joe Dizzy
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So this game is wonderful and magical, really brings back all those monkey island, day of the tentacle, flashback feelings, finished my first run with time traveler, monk and adventurer. Time traveler was easily the best, my only complaint was the ending felt very anticlimactic. Gearing up for knight, scientist, twins run through now.

Playing this has made me realize I've neglected xbox arcade for too long, so maybe not the right thread for it, but if I want to follow the cave up, as an old school adventure gamer out of the following what do you recommend?
    Limbo, Shadow Complex, Deadlight or I Am Alive?

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
    Geth
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So this game is wonderful and magical, really brings back all those monkey island, day of the tentacle, flashback feelings, finished my first run with time traveler, monk and adventurer. Time traveler was easily the best, my only complaint was the ending felt very anticlimactic. Gearing up for knight, scientist, twins run through now.

Playing this has made me realize I've neglected xbox arcade for too long, so maybe not the right thread for it, but if I want to follow the cave up, as an old school adventure gamer out of the following what do you recommend?
    Limbo, Shadow Complex, Deadlight or I Am Alive?

Haven't tried Deadlight or I Am alive but both Shadow Complex and Limbo is really enjoyable. Shadow Complex blew me away when I bought my xbox a few years ago, Limbo is really different but beautiful. Depends on what you are in the mood for. Action or a more artsy experience.

Looking forward to trying out The Cave but can't understand why they decided on 7 characters. You need to replay the game with the same characters to get every story or did I miss something?

Richard on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Really, the game the cave most reminds me of is Trine (2), if you haven't already played them

steam_sig.png