As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ron Gilbert's "The Cave"] Out now on Wii-U, PS3, XBOX360 and PC

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I am alive is..........an experience. Even though there is combat in the game, it's pretty much a puzzler. There's no real platforming (you generally can't try to make a jump that's instantly fatal, he just goes 'that's too far' or something; exception is swinging on the grappling hook), but you climb all over the place to the point you could get a fear of heights just from the game. The puzzle part is that everything eats into your stamina as you take actions, so you have to time your movements, plan out routes to find rest points, and scavenge for supplies that can help cover those last few feet for difficult climbs (there are a decent amount of times where you just can't do it without some sort of backup equipment or consumables, and the consumables you have to be careful with as you find people who desperately need them that you can rescue). There are also environmental hazards like dust storms that eat away at your stamina and block you from regenerating it, stuff like that.

Combat too is a puzzle, in that your person is, well, a strong guy, but nothing superhuman. Guy with a gun takes you down in one or two shots, even if you get an armored vest off of one of the heavier enemies that MIGHT push you up to three, depending on where you get hit. All melee kills are contextual, as in you push them off a cliff, or you engage in a mini machete fight. And the machete fight is EASILY interrupted if there is more than one enemy around, so it's pretty much for taking down the last enemy only. You also can intimidate enemies, forcing them to back off if they don't have a gun and you point one at them (even if it's empty). They get wise to tricks eventually, but you can also do fun things like holding them all up, seeing which one is the first to try and mouth off and convince the others you're bluffing (since that means he's likely the 'leader') and then shooting him in the face as he taunts you; this can sometimes cause the others to straight give up and drop their weapons (letting you knock them out easily).

For example, you get into a new area, and a gang of four, two gunment and two with knives, come up. You've made no hostile moves yet, so the leader, one of the gunmen, comes over taunting you, gives you a shove. Then you suprise attack him with your knife, grab a bullet from the gun he drops, while the other three are startled you quickly target the other gunman and put him down with one to the chest, then sprint over to him to get a bullet from HIS gun (and to prevent either of the others from going for the dropped gun, which they can do), then turn to the other two who are running at you/gun and hold them up. Then order them to back up, directing at least one near a bonfire or ledge, then kick them to their death. Last one, realizing you have no intention of letting them go, charges you where you take him down in a knife fight. Fight done, and you've even gained a very valuable bullet! That's a basic situation, and they love to throw curveballs at you, especially once you get the bow. So it's not really combat so much as planning out your 'moves' to clear a room.

I don't think it's a game I'd play more than once. It's actually quite good, it's just it has almost no replay value. Climbing the same building twice does nothing for me, and combat, once you've figured out the best 'solution' to any fight, isn't really any different. So it's a decent cheap purchase, and I've played far worse games that thought themselves worth a full retail price tag.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    All I got from that was "Get Mark of the Ninja instead"

You could elaborate on that just a tad. All I've heard about it is literally "It's a 2d stealth game. And it's good". Which was vague enough that I've never even looked it up on youtube.

So tell me about it!

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Finished my first runthough. This game is slick as fuck. Love the art style and narration.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • JRootabegaJRootabega Registered User regular
    This game's pretty neat. But I'm kind of annoyed at a puzzle plot hole in the knight's area:
    I used the time traveler to warp through the dragon's gate and grab the coin, while the knight was distracting the dragon with his holy shield. But as soon as I left, the princess started complaining about someone leaving the dragon gate open, which, obviously, is necessary to the game. But I never even touched the dragon key. Seems like they missed a pretty obvious puzzle permutation.
    Kind of takes some of the clever feel out of the game.

BloodySloth
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    JRootabega wrote: »
    This game's pretty neat. But I'm kind of annoyed at a puzzle plot hole in the knight's area:
    I used the time traveler to warp through the dragon's gate and grab the coin, while the knight was distracting the dragon with his holy shield. But as soon as I left, the princess started complaining about someone leaving the dragon gate open, which, obviously, is necessary to the game. But I never even touched the dragon key. Seems like they missed a pretty obvious puzzle permutation.
    I did the exact same thing (for the express purpose of not having to open the door so the dragon could get out) and got really frustrated when the game totally ignored it.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My lack of adventure games has rotted my mind, I can't get past the bell monster.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2013
    Cantido wrote: »
    My lack of adventure games has rotted my mind, I can't get past the bell monster.

Me and my gf took like, 30 minutes on that one too. Here's a hint:
    Some of the items you can carry have multiple uses.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Cantido
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Hmm, You make a compelling argument, Warlock.

Not really because there's still no gluttony.
    You could argue that the twins' area is based around food, given that you have to feed the dog and poison the soup...and you could argue that the twins are gluttons for freedom or something, but both of those are big stretches.

I don't think it's a super big stretch.
    I guess it's a bit of a creative interpretation of gluttony, but the twins are given the entire world and they waste it. Their parents have given them a number of ponies and dogs and whatever else, and they just kill them or throw them away because they get bored and are spoiled shits. And, of course, there's the wasting of good food (poisoning the soup) which is one of the ways to commit the sin of gluttony.

Skull2185
  • JRootabegaJRootabega Registered User regular
    JRootabega wrote: »
    I did the exact same thing (for the express purpose of not having to open the door so the dragon could get out) and got really frustrated when the game totally ignored it.

Stay strong, brother. We will be the wind beneath our own wings!

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Hmm, You make a compelling argument, Warlock.

Not really because there's still no gluttony.
    You could argue that the twins' area is based around food, given that you have to feed the dog and poison the soup...and you could argue that the twins are gluttons for freedom or something, but both of those are big stretches.

I don't think it's a super big stretch.
    I guess it's a bit of a creative interpretation of gluttony, but the twins are given the entire world and they waste it. Their parents have given them a number of ponies and dogs and whatever else, and they just kill them or throw them away because they get bored and are spoiled shits. And, of course, there's the wasting of good food (poisoning the soup) which is one of the ways to commit the sin of gluttony.

Yes, having finally played that section, I think this is accurate. It's sort of an expanded definition of gluttony, but they put the food things in as well to bring it all home :)

Anyways, I have now beaten it with everyone, which means I now have to go through and get the GOOD endings for everyone (or the bad ending for the Twins I guess... I figured I'd get the good ending for them just in case it gave me both slides, which it didn't... but I'd have to get that one eventually so whatever).

Also I managed to break the game :P Just before the Twin's area there is a bone pit where you can get Femurs if you click in it (used for a puzzle with the dog). Except you can keep clicking it and it will constantly spawn Femurs. And I figured out while trying to solve that puzzle that the game seems to only spawn a set number of Femurs (makes sense, don't want to crash from a memory overflow) since it would remove Femurs my other characters were holding. Anyways, I got all the way to the Desert Island area and the Femur that you need to solve the puzzle was gone. Yup, I despawned it. *sigh* LUCKILY, I saved & quit and then continued again and that seemed to reset the missing Femur (also moved my boat backwards for some weird reason).

Side note about the ending -
    I found it interesting if you get the good endings for everyone you actually get to see them standing on the surface at the end rather than disappearing after they climb the ladder :P Apparently the camp fire is a secret hatch they climb through.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I remembered that I had bought this, so I sat down and played it. My first playthrough was Scientist, Knight, Monk. Endings:
    Bad, good, bad. I didn't realize there was an option until I'd gotten the Scientist up the ladder and was goofing around with the Knight. I figured the Knight wanted to hang onto that can of creamed corn more than the sword, and his good ending was satisfying. Once I realized that, I figured that the Monk would be "happier" with the inner peace of realizing he was a murderous bastard than turning good at the end, so I let him keep it. :P

I only had one bit of actual trouble that took me a long, frustrating time to figure out:
    The third mine car. I was convinced there was a glitch that wasn't allowing me to click on the switch with the necessary timing.

I almost broke one of the puzzles, too...
    I had a hot dog from the vending machine at the very beginning, and I almost skipped through the recorder/adventurer bit at the zoo, but I was a tad too slow and got eaten before he got to the bridge.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So this game is wonderful and magical, really brings back all those monkey island, day of the tentacle, flashback feelings, finished my first run with time traveler, monk and adventurer. Time traveler was easily the best, my only complaint was the ending felt very anticlimactic. Gearing up for knight, scientist, twins run through now.

Playing this has made me realize I've neglected xbox arcade for too long, so maybe not the right thread for it, but if I want to follow the cave up, as an old school adventure gamer out of the following what do you recommend?
    Limbo, Shadow Complex, Deadlight or I Am Alive?

Off topic BUT
    Shadow Complex is one of my top 3 xbox games both generations. It is seriously good.

Limbo is incredibly refined and every bit of it is fantastic, though it is short.

Recommend that you get both.

PSN: Honkalot
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    By the way, we stopped playing at
    the zoo
    where my sister's character was
    eaten and appears to be DEAD dead.
    Is that supposed to happen?
    Will we get back to three characters soon enough? I assume so since I keep hearing about getting different endings for three characters at a time.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    By the way, we stopped playing at
    the zoo
    where my sister's character was
    eaten and appears to be DEAD dead.
    Is that supposed to happen?
    Will we get back to three characters soon enough? I assume so since I keep hearing about getting different endings for three characters at a time.

It's a ruse, and a very obvious one since the narrator clearly explains the rules of the cave early on. Go find the beast and everything* will be revealed.

*Not everything everything. You know what I mean.

Capture.jpg~original
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    this time traveler section hurts my brain.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote: »
    this time traveler section hurts my brain.

The best section.
    I kept saying 'Hey, why don't we just off his ancestor and be done with it?'. Little did I know.

Capture.jpg~original
  • picerjamopicerjamo Registered User new member
    That game was a childhood treasure. Its also the type of game i could play and have my wife "coop" with some backseat controllering.a18.jpgk3.jpg

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    100% done with The Cave. Both endings for each character, and all cave paintings found. I really enjoyed that game! Played through it 5 times to get everything, and I loved it every time. Playthrough three and on were a breeze because the puzzles are a cinch when you know the solution already. :P

Almost an hour and a half for the Time Traveler the first time, maybe five minutes the next time.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    The wife and I are on our first playthrough. Do the 8 or so paintings you get for each character have any affect on the game whatsoever? Also, where in the game does it tell you what the special abilities do?

NNID = Zepp914
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    You could elaborate on that just a tad. All I've heard about it is literally "It's a 2d stealth game. And it's good". Which was vague enough that I've never even looked it up on youtube.

So tell me about it!

I'll throw this in a spoiler since it's not really the thread for it, but if you don't care to look it up on youtube you probably don't care to go searching around other threads (assuming we even have a Mark of the Ninja thread).
    You play a ninja and actually get to act like a ninja. You're not invincible and your success or failure depends far more on planning, sneaking, and understanding enemy movements and abilities than how quickly you can mash the attack button and then run off and hide. The character has access to numerous styles and pieces of equipment so even though we're playing the same level of the same game our choice can make for completely different experiences. I might take the style that lets me sprint silently and take two distraction items (things like remote flares and noisemakers) while you might take the style that lets you always succeed in stealth kills (usually a simple QTE) and take two combat items (things like ravenous insects and spike mines). The game is also phenomenal at communicating things to the player. I know exactly when I'm visible because the character changes color depending on whether he's in shadow or not. I know whether an enemy will be alerted when I do a loud thing because the game shows me an audio radius before I take that action. The whole thing is designed around being challenging without feeling cheap (in my opinion). It doesn't hurt that the art is fantastic, too. It's also possible (with the exception of a couple "boss" encounters) to clear every level without killing anybody, and your score doesn't suffer for it as you get a bonus for every enemy you sneak by undetected and then big bonuses after the fact if you didn't kill anybody and another for not raising any alarms.

camo_sig2.png
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    The wife and I are on our first playthrough. Do the 8 or so paintings you get for each character have any affect on the game whatsoever? Also, where in the game does it tell you what the special abilities do?

The paintings just provide you with backstory on the characters.

As for the characters' abilities, I don't think it tells you in game anywhere, but I can list em for you:

Hillbilly can hold his breath forever underwater. Useful to gain access to his section, and maybe one or two explorations areas.

The Twins can creat weird clones of themselves to hold switches or pressure plates. DIdn't find a use for it outside of their area.

Time Traveler can phase through thin walls and doors. Can be used to skip a step in a puzzle in the KNight's area, but outside of her area, not too useful.

The Knight can protect himself with a divine shield of some sort. This includes negating damage from long falls.

The Monk has telekineses, and I only ever used it in his area. I didn't even know it was telekinesis until I got to his area the first time...

The Adventurer can swing from hooks with her grappling hook. One or two uses outside of her area.

The Scientist can hack electronics. There's a few doors she can permanently open by hacking a console, but still not useful outside of her area.

Really, the most useful character is the Knight. He can make sections like the minecart puzzle go by faster.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    histronic
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It tells you in game if you check the controls or help or whatever. Nice pictures of everyone's abilities.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

As for the characters' abilities, I don't think it tells you in game anywhere, but I can list em for you:

Thanks, I figured out what the Knight's ability was, but I couldn't figure out the Twins' ability at all.
    It tells you in game if you check the controls or help or whatever. Nice pictures of everyone's abilities.

I somehow missed that completely. Thanks!

NNID = Zepp914
    edited January 2013

Hillbilly can hold his breath forever underwater. Useful to gain access to his section, and maybe one or two explorations areas.

The Twins can creat weird clones of themselves to hold switches or pressure plates. DIdn't find a use for it outside of their area.

Time Traveler can phase through thin walls and doors. Can be used to skip a step in a puzzle in the KNight's area, but outside of her area, not too useful.

The Knight can protect himself with a divine shield of some sort. This includes negating damage from long falls.

The Monk has telekineses, and I only ever used it in his area. I didn't even know it was telekinesis until I got to his area the first time...

The Adventurer can swing from hooks with her grappling hook. One or two uses outside of her area.

The Scientist can hack electronics. There's a few doors she can permanently open by hacking a console, but still not useful outside of her area.

Really, the most useful character is the Knight. He can make sections like the minecart puzzle go by faster.

Places to use other characters:
    -Monk can grab the bucket from the well at the very beginning, skipping that entire puzzle (you sacrifice the cave painting behind that well though, unless you have the Time Traveler).
    -Scientist can "hack" shorting (i.e. electrocuting) fuses to remove/add them without getting electrocuted. Useful at the beginning and very very useful in the Hillbilly's area
    -Monk can grab the key to the dragon's gate in the Knight section (huge time saver, not as much as using the time traveler to skip THAT step, but still :P). He can also grab the treasure without getting scorched (so no distraction needed).
    -The Twin's ability can save some time when you have switches that hold open doors, but only while being used. This way you only need to use one character (The Twins) instead of two (one to hold the switch and one to walk through the door). Off the top of my head, one place is in the Zoo to escape the Crystal Monster's "lair"
    -The Time Traveler can hover over water. Not a huge deal but it probably saves a few seconds in areas with lots of water (i.e. the desert island).

Also:
    -The Scientist can hack the "Ancient Arcade Game" in the future area of the Time Traveler's section to get it working. This doesn't seem to actually do anything, it's just neat :)

The Hillbilly, as far as I can tell, is 100% worthless though. I thought maybe he could pull the underwater switch in the desert island area, but nope! That would have been a huge puzzle time saver because the puzzle to drain that section is annoying as shit.

The Twins *should* have been useful for the middle mine car puzzle (the one where you have to constantly balance the weight on the two platforms) but their ability is so flakey that it always disipates before you want it to.

Overall, I'd say the most useful characters are the Knight, Monk, and Scientist. They have the best abilities that have multiple uses all throughout the game. The Knight's ability to ignore fall damage with his power is possibly the most useful given how terrible the ladders in this game are :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I still brought the Hillbilly with me the most because his goofy floppy feet and silly run animation made me laugh. Uselessness be damned!

Also, the Scientist's long fall animation was great. Like "Ugh... I do not have time for this bullshit!"

• BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    Having the twins do the scientist section by themselves feels so right

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
    jclast wrote: »

So tell me about it!

I'll throw this in a spoiler since it's not really the thread for it, but if you don't care to look it up on youtube you probably don't care to go searching around other threads (assuming we even have a Mark of the Ninja thread).
    You play a ninja and actually get to act like a ninja. You're not invincible and your success or failure depends far more on planning, sneaking, and understanding enemy movements and abilities than how quickly you can mash the attack button and then run off and hide. The character has access to numerous styles and pieces of equipment so even though we're playing the same level of the same game our choice can make for completely different experiences. I might take the style that lets me sprint silently and take two distraction items (things like remote flares and noisemakers) while you might take the style that lets you always succeed in stealth kills (usually a simple QTE) and take two combat items (things like ravenous insects and spike mines). The game is also phenomenal at communicating things to the player. I know exactly when I'm visible because the character changes color depending on whether he's in shadow or not. I know whether an enemy will be alerted when I do a loud thing because the game shows me an audio radius before I take that action. The whole thing is designed around being challenging without feeling cheap (in my opinion). It doesn't hurt that the art is fantastic, too. It's also possible (with the exception of a couple "boss" encounters) to clear every level without killing anybody, and your score doesn't suffer for it as you get a bonus for every enemy you sneak by undetected and then big bonuses after the fact if you didn't kill anybody and another for not raising any alarms.

Don't know if we have a thread on it, as I couldn't find one but I'm also awful at using just about every feature of the vanilla forums system, so maybe I just can't even search right, not ruling that out.

But sounds pretty neat. Enough to look for on steam sales anyways. Thankee for the explanation!

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

So tell me about it!

Don't know if we have a thread on it, as I couldn't find one but I'm also awful at using just about every feature of the vanilla forums system, so maybe I just can't even search right, not ruling that out.

But sounds pretty neat. Enough to look for on steam sales anyways. Thankee for the explanation!

No problem. I'm probably confusing the Steam thread for a (probably imaginary) Mark of the Ninja thread. That's the problem with the Steam thread - I end up thinking it's the everything thread.

camo_sig2.png
    I started playing this and am enjoying it so far!

I had to stop now immediately after the Knight's section and I have a brief question:
    Directly after the "Castle" there is one of those transition falls into a new area. Mr Knight dropped his sword and it is stuck in the rock in the pool of water you land in. Felt weird losing it directly after you gain it, is there a way to get it back?

• AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Played through all 7 characters, fun game, all the charm and humour i expected from double fine.

Have to confess i looked up a guide for the time traveller area, i WOULD NOT have done it without it.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Played through all 7 characters, fun game, all the charm and humour i expected from double fine.

Have to confess i looked up a guide for the time traveller area, i WOULD NOT have done it without it.

You are weak. That area was straightforward as all hell.

20 laps around Monkey Island, you slacker.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Shortcut re: The Zoo.
    The Monk can nab the hotdog out of the vending machine at a distance and skip that entire section.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Skull2185
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

Its that goddamn rolly rock.
    You HAVE to move it to the right, and you HAVE to hold it. I was moving it all over and blocking it with the character, and nothing! Ugh... it was a little annoying. Finally figured it out though

I loved all the exhibits in the future museum. It was like Futurama.

Lanrutcon wrote: »

Its that goddamn rolly rock.
    You HAVE to move it to the right, and you HAVE to hold it. I was moving it all over and blocking it with the character, and nothing! Ugh... it was a little annoying. Finally figured it out though

I loved all the exhibits in the future museum. It was like Futurama.

Yeah that puzzle was a little too picky. I figured it out on my own, but only after a lot of red herrings thinking I was doing it wrong because I didn't have the thing exactly right.

The Zoo esque:
    I came there from the adventurer's area. I found some spooky looking gates and a guard dog but I decided to explore a bit more before trying the levers out and stuff. Then I accidentally dropped down into the zoo and my party auto-followed. So I am wondering if I missed exploring something there, which would make me the sad because I seem to have collected most of the cave paintings so far.

Honk wrote: »
    The Zoo esque:
    I came there from the adventurer's area. I found some spooky looking gates and a guard dog but I decided to explore a bit more before trying the levers out and stuff. Then I accidentally dropped down into the zoo and my party auto-followed. So I am wondering if I missed exploring something there, which would make me the sad because I seem to have collected most of the cave paintings so far.

Nah, that was just the Twins' area. I mean, you missed out if you had the Twins with you, but I don't think you could progress if you did.

Honk
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Finished my first run. Knight, Monk, Scientist. Good endings (as any good point and clicker would get) and all portraits.

Highly enjoyable stuff and looking forward to running the remaining victims through the cave. Nice blend of point and click style with some light platforming. Restored my faith in Ron which had been a little shaken when Death Spank wasn't quite for me.

Not sure how jazzed I am at the thought of running the same guys again to see their bad end, but we'll see. Might be Mr. Google and his friend the YouTube kid show me how that goes down.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Once you've beaten it a couple times you can get through really fast. So that helps if you are playing the same sections over again. There are only a couple puzzles that are really tedious (i.e. all the minecart crap because of the ladders)

Ok! Thanks for the heads up!