As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ron Gilbert's "The Cave"] Out now on Wii-U, PS3, XBOX360 and PC

124»

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Shortcut re: The Zoo.
    The Monk can nab the hotdog out of the vending machine at a distance and skip that entire section.

True!
    You can also hang onto a hot dog from all the way back at the beginning of the game and do it. I did that, but then it turned out that it made me miss out on a cave painting beneath the room beyond the crystal monster, and I was sad.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Missing portraits does seem to be the problem with shortcuts. Any shortcuts I've found, I've then ignored in favour of a more full exploration!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I just finished with the Knight, Adventurer and Scientist. I thought it was really good, and it's very pretty!

Good difficulty level on the puzzles too.

PSN: Honkalot
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Missing portraits does seem to be the problem with shortcuts. Any shortcuts I've found, I've then ignored in favour of a more full exploration!

It does seem like they threw in a lot of annoying platforming elements just to pad the length, and make the puzzles more annoying than they need to be

steam_sig.png
    I am starting to get very annoyed at the monk bit.
    Walking slowly with the blossoms and controlling the character is not exactly easy with the camera movement. And I fail at the start because sometimes he enters the ladder and drops them. And then when I was almost done he accidentally selected the pedestal and dropped them. I have soon spent as much time on this single annoying thing as half the time the time traveler museum took me without using a guide.

And then the accidental double click to drop because he didn't turn his back on the first click.

Holy god damn shit fuck this thing.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    When possible, I'm doing the initial exploration of any new area with the Hillbilly, because I do so love his flappy walk :)

Regarding bad/good endings (Hillbilly and Adventurer):
    I assume the good endings involve putting out the fire and not killing the other adventurer? Because if so... oops.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    When possible, I'm doing the initial exploration of any new area with the Hillbilly, because I do so love his flappy walk :)

I assume the good endings involve putting out the fire and not killing the other adventurer? Because if so... oops.

Nope. There's only one way to get the good ending on each character, and they're all the same.

@Honk You're playing on PC I assume? Do you have access to a 360 controller? I don't know how the PC version controls, but on WiiU (and I assume 360) it was fairly easy.
    Lightly push on the stick to make him walk, and as soon as the chimes start moving let go and he automatically turns his back to the wind.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    This game controls better with a 360 controller. The kb&m controls felt weird.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited January 2013
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Nope. There's only one way to get the good ending on each character, and they're all the same.

@Honk You're playing on PC I assume? Do you have access to a 360 controller? I don't know how the PC version controls, but on WiiU (and I assume 360) it was fairly easy.
    Lightly push on the stick to make him walk, and as soon as the chimes start moving let go and he automatically turns his back to the wind.

Yeah I am on the PC. I tried with the arrow keys but they were even more unreliable than with the mouse.
    The problem was that when the camera travelled the distance between the cursor and Monk would increase and he would start sprinting. Click area around objects is huge so I wouldn't get past the ladder 6 out of 7 times. :|

Finally did it though!

Honk on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Yeah I am on the PC. I tried with the arrow keys but they were even more unreliable than with the mouse.
    The problem was that when the camera travelled the distance between the cursor and Monk would increase and he would start sprinting. Click area around objects is huge so I wouldn't get past the ladder 6 out of 7 times. :|

Finally did it though!

Hold shift to walk. I know, I know, you never have to do it anywhere else before or after in the game.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Honk
    Just double dipped and got The Cave on Xbox for some easy bleep bloops.

Im sick...

I am, however, looking forward to running through the game 5 more times. :rotate:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I think the game should have had some randomization in it. Those "static" levels should have been randomized with some other levels to keep things interesting. I really don't get why they did not make the map rearrange itself when you first start. Just make everything modular and connect them with crazy transitions. It really seemed like a no-brainer and would have added more to the mystique of "The Cave".

Krathoon on
    Turkey
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I'm playing this along with my boys. They are 7 and 12 and loving it.

Hmm, stuck in the wall in the adventurer's section. To save and quit or to just force quit to dash?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hmm, stuck in the wall in the adventurer's section. To save and quit or to just force quit to dash?

Can't suicide? Both triggers does it.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    I didn't know that! In the end frantic button mashing jiggled me through the terrain close enough to a grapple point to allow me to swing free. Lucky it was the adventurer.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I've gotten stuck in terrain, and fallen through the ground. To fix just swap to another character, and move far away from the stuck character. Then swap back.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I've gotten stuck in terrain, and fallen through the ground. To fix just swap to another character, and move far away from the stuck character. Then swap back.

The ferris wheel in the hillbilly's section fucked me out of a no death run last night... Time Traveler got stuck having a siezure in one of the gondolas. Had to suicide.

Didn't die anywhere else in that run >:C

Can't you force quit at that or a similar point to save it?

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    http://www.1up.com/features/se7en-double-fine-adventure-game

^ good article about this game. Warning, tons of SPOILERS so don't read if you haven't beaten it with all 7 characters.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    i was trying to avoid spoilers, and just spoiled how to do the good endings, and Im glad I did, because I never, ever would have done that.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Rhesus Positive
    Finished The Cave at 100% twice now. Once on WiiU and once on Xbox. Some of the Xbox achievements led to to additional content in the game that I wouldn't have seen otherwise on WiiU, because I didn't think to do those things.

The ladders in this game are wayyy too buggy to have included a "No Deaths" achievement, though... Finally began quitting to dashboard if I died and restarting at my last checkpoint.

Finished The Cave at 100% twice now. Once on WiiU and once on Xbox. Some of the Xbox achievements led to to additional content in the game that I wouldn't have seen otherwise on WiiU, because I didn't think to do those things.

The ladders in this game are wayyy too buggy to have included a "No Deaths" achievement, though... Finally began quitting to dashboard if I died and restarting at my last checkpoint.

Which ones? I actually did the postcard one on Wii U just to see if anything would happen (it didn't :()

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Its nothing that really adds to the game, but
    Stuff like running back to the princess' room to see how the king reacts, or jumping on the parent's bed as the twins.

just little things.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Wait...there are 'good' endings??

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Its nothing that really adds to the game, but
    Stuff like running back to the princess' room to see how the king reacts, or jumping on the parent's bed as the twins.

just little things.

The second one I did. Surprised you could do the first. I guess I just sort of expected them to not bother putting anything in there :P

• molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

yup. they are my favourite part of the game too. doing the regular 'bad' endings and then going back and see how things turned out for the better was really enjoyable. to see the 'good' endings:
    talk to the shopkeep at the end of the game when he gives you the thing you desire most. you will eventually return the thing you desire most back to the shopkeep. leave the cave without your desired item and see the good endings

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
    Finished with all good endings and YouTubed the bad endings. Loved the gameplay for each area the first time around but was getting entirely narked off with the repetition when I was doing each of the shared areas for a third time. Even with the shortcuts there really is too much recycling in the level structure for me and I'm sad that it sent me away from such a great game under a cloud of annoyance.

Yup,
    Keep talking to the gift shop guy at the end to give your heart's desire back.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Been playing through this for a little while and just completed a no death run that Steam didn't care about so I'm still one achievement short. :( Is there a known issue with using the hillbilly, monk, and twins for that? I needed them for the fortune teller and it was going well so I just continued and got no achievement.

camo_sig2.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    moleface wrote: »

yup. they are my favourite part of the game too. doing the regular 'bad' endings and then going back and see how things turned out for the better was really enjoyable. to see the 'good' endings:
    talk to the shopkeep at the end of the game when he gives you the thing you desire most. you will eventually return the thing you desire most back to the shopkeep. leave the cave without your desired item and see the good endings
    Weird, because they are my least favorite part of the game since it's literally making you play the game with absolutely no variance a second time. And this is a game where you already have to beat it a third time just to play that seventh leftover character.

YL9WnCY.png