As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

YA[Programming]T :: Interview? That's an MVC thing, right?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Name the machine "cloud"

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    This server is Cloud, this one is Tifa, this one is Sephiroth...

OrokosPA.png
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

I've backed up Aeris, just in case.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

I've backed up Aeris, just in case.
    Why can I restore any other server but not this one!?

steam_sig.png
  • SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My objection to the term stems from its use as a descriptor for a feature rather than an era. Stop trying to sell cloud-based this and cloud-based that like it's some fantastic new technology which solves all problems. Products ought to be marketed as they always have been, with the fact that they're running on a remote server being nothing more than a footnote.

There is no need to grant special attention to the notion of centralized utility computing. Anyone who needs to care has already weighed the factors involved, and is keenly aware of the industry's steady march back toward the land of thin clients, as in the Days of Olde.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The "at some point in the future" project I thought was going to involve just myself has turned into "the next" project and grown a bit in scope. On the upside, I get a junior developer who can deal with that whole UI bother for me. On the downside, I can't just use any tech I want.

The rough idea is taking info from our desktop app and making it available to Joe Consumer (our client's clients) via The Cloud (tm). Also, a whole ton of back end stuff and integrating it with our other online services that may or may not yet exist.

My original plan was to use Django since I'd been looking for an excuse to do a project with it, plus it sounded perfect for use in displaying db information in various ways. I gave the junior dev a dirty look when he mentioned PHP, but he moved on to Java (and some frameworks I'm not familiar with). The boss, who is a developer, thinks RoR would be perfect even though he only develops in old languages. While I could just insist on insist on one technology, it would make my life much easier if it was "our" choice instead of mine. So far, I've written up some sensible requirements that happen to lean more towards Web2Py or Django.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Well, "the cloud" was supposed to entail something different, some sort of distributed system for storage and processing.

But people just say anything that's remote is "the cloud." And in the examples here even internal to LAN/WAN is "the cloud."

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Have you guys been keeping up with this Flame malware that infected the government machines in the Middle East? Pretty crazy stuff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_(malware)
    Like the previously known cyber weapons Stuxnet and Duqu, it is employed in a targeted manner and can evade current security software through rootkit functionality. Once a system is infected, Flame can spread to other systems over the LAN or via USB sticks, and can record audio, screenshots, keyboard activity and network traffic.[3] The program also records Skype conversations and can turn infected computers into Bluetooth beacons which attempt to download contact information from nearby Bluetooths.[5] This data, along with local documents, is then sent to command and control servers.[3]

• Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    Well, "the cloud" was supposed to entail something different, some sort of distributed system for storage and processing.

But people just say anything that's remote is "the cloud." And in the examples here even internal to LAN/WAN is "the cloud."

This. While I hate the misuse of the term, oh how I wish we could migrate to the "cloud". For a small company without the resources ($$ for hardware, let alone the people to maintain it) to scale easily with owned hardware, the "cloud" just makes so much sense. I can add another node behind the load balancer in 30 minutes? Yes, please.

We have so many data sources that at this point my main database is growing at 1GB a day. I'm coming up very quickly on a decision to buy a fuckton of servers to properly load balance/failover or somehow justify using the cloud. But HIPAA :rotate:

Woot427 on
    edited May 2012
    Ah HIPAA.

I'm still waiting on HIPAA to lay into the medicaid meaningful use stuff for their design criteria.

Yup yup, let's keep on with 128 bit AES over the wire but 256/512 bit hash passwords stored locally and never to hit the web! Smart thinking there.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    It's been a while since I've asked so here it comes again: What music have you guys been listening to while programming? My newest favorite song is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6CeR8tdmXs

@bowen I think that you'll like it. I know you listen to classical at work but I think the above would also find a place on your playlist.

I think music is the only way I can keep my mind programming. Otherwise I find it too easy to become distracted.

Unfortunately I don't have speakers on my rig. Hopefully I'll remember to check it out.

Ahh, crap. I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse every time I bring up music in this thread, but I love listening/finding new music.

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've asked so here it comes again: What music have you guys been listening to while programming?
    This only sort of counts as music, but I've been watching the VH1 series Metal Evolution while writing code at work. I've found it strange how well I'm able to pay attention to both it and the code I'm working on. Normally when I try to watch something like that I end up either working or watching, but not both.

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That's good stuff, but the background harmony is a little overbearing for my tastes.

Recently, I mostly listen to the albums that these are from:

But also, this:

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
    Listening to the Frizzle Fry atm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zQKqgNAeE

OrokosPA.png
    Wow I like that Of Monsters and Men song.

And I've heard that Primus song before. Good stuff. :)

I listen to a lot of Primus lately. Just ain't getting old.

OrokosPA.png
    Of course another song I listen to alot is Baba Yetu from Civ IV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G30MhXmlZGE

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It depends on my mood or how close the due date is. If I have plenty of time I will listen to something like Autechre or Red Sparrowes or something else that will stay out of the way. If things things are getting close or I just want something more more intense to try to push code out of my brain, maybe Animals as Leaders or older The Sword or Omega Massif or something.

Really it is basically the same as music I normally listen to, except I'm even less likely to tolerate vocals unless they're in the background.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Quick Access question:
    I have a form that's using drop down boxes to select criteria, and then passing those criteria to different queries where the Criteria for the field each query is looking for is something like:
    Field: Field Office Name
    Table: Field Offices
    Sort:
    Show: Yes
    Criteria: [Forms]![MainForm]![cbFO] or [Forms]![MainForm]![cbFO] Like "0"

The different queries all seem like they're doing the same job as my main two queries just with different criteria to narrow the results, and it seems like I might be able to remove them if the following is possible, or better:

Would this work? If I combine them into one, where the fields are:
    Field: Field Office Name
    Table: Field Offices
    Sort:
    Criteria: [Forms]![MainForm]![cbFO] or [Forms]![MainForm]![cbFO] Like "0"

Field: District ID
    Table: Districts
    Sort:
    Criteria: [Forms]![MainForm]![cbDistrict] or [Forms]![MainForm]![cbDistrict] Is Null

Field: County Name
    Table: Counties
    Sort:
    Criteria: [Forms]![MainForm]![cbCounties] or [Forms]![MainForm]![cbCountise] Is Null

Edit: It does work. I really should test things out more before asking for help.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I find music keeps me from reading when I work. It's bad when I need to read documentation or understand some confusing code, but it's good in the sense that it keeps me off forums and such.

For work music, I like the softer side of electro-industrial or EBM

or floaty (non post-punk) goth and ethereal

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    It depends on my mood or how close the due date is. If I have plenty of time I will listen to something like Autechre or Red Sparrowes or something else that will stay out of the way. If things things are getting close or I just want something more more intense to try to push code out of my brain, maybe Animals as Leaders or older The Sword or Omega Massif or something.

Really it is basically the same as music I normally listen to, except I'm even less likely to tolerate vocals unless they're in the background.

I'd never heard of Red Sparrowes before but that song you posted was really good.

edited May 2012
    I'm really enjoying Covenant too. Ah I love new music! e: and Elyria

urahonky on
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    You know I had REALLY disturbing dream once with that song playing in the background.

Like the kind of dream where you wake up and you wonder exactly how fucked up you are if that's the kind of things your subconscious comes up with.

Also hurray for amusing ancient WoW references in my final database project...
    class Customer:
        def __init__(self, customerID):
            self.id = customerID
        def name(self):
            return "Captain Placeholder"

Edit: Most of the people from Red Sparrowes recently started a new project called Marriages that's more typical indie rock, but its still really good.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I listen to a lot of Primus lately. Just ain't getting old.
    Frizzle Fry and Sailing the Seas of Cheese never get old. I really love those two albums.

• HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    I've been listening to a bunch of stuff lately on Spotify. I can't listen to much when I'm doing a lot of hard thinking, but when the design is done and I'm in implementation mode it's primarily been Radiohead (greatest hits), Sleigh Bells, and a dubstep playlist.

Also, if you like electronic music and haven't heard the Shatter soundtrack (PSN game from a couple of years ago), it's pretty much the perfect coding music.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    I pretty much never listen to music while programming. But when I do, string kinda-technoy-stuff is pretty great.

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    When I start debugging, I sometimes start playing the Skyrim theme song in my head.

You know the one?

... but there is one they fear. In their tongue, he is Debugkhin. :whistle:

BREAKPOINT STOP!

*manly chorus*

Makes the debugging session oddly epic.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I don't actually have programming music, I just play the same stuff I put on normally. Some instrumental stuff if I need to concentrate on something maybe

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I can't program (or do anything that requires concentration) with music. I like it nice and quiet.

omfg.

I've realized I broke the back button in my web app I'm writing for databases class.

I have become that which I have always hated!

• Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I can't program (or do anything that requires concentration) with music. I like it nice and quiet.

I can't do music but I can ironically watch tv shows. I have 4 monitors at work and will often have a Scrubs episode in the corner of one of them. For some reason my mind just focuses so much on the lyrics that I can't concentrate but tv shows are great background noise without having that effect.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    omfg.

I've realized I broke the back button in my web app I'm writing for databases class.

I have become that which I have always hated!

you son of a bitch

what kind of broken?

Woot427 wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I can't do music but I can ironically watch tv shows. I have 4 monitors at work and will often have a Scrubs episode in the corner of one of them. For some reason my mind just focuses so much on the lyrics that I can't concentrate but tv shows are great background noise without having that effect.

If I am just programming something then I can listen to any music/tv show/movie (I often have Shaun of the Dead playing on my mp3 player), but if I am reading/researching something I can ONLY listen to music without lyrics. So soft techno/ambient works well for me. I usually have rainymood going as well.

edited May 2012
    In the mornings, I usually have DC101 for Elliot in the Morning playing, at low volume. I don't really listen intently but the low level background noise helps to not make me go stir crazy.

An Access Form question:
    On one of my forms, I am using an ID and Year field to order the view of records. When a user pushes a button it takes them to another form by using the ID field on the first form as the where condition.

This is what's happening:
    Form 1:
    ID = 1234567
    Year(s) this ID is in: 2012, 2009, 2006, 2001
    Currently viewing: 1234567 in year 2009
    User clicks button -> Goes to 2nd form, but 2nd form shows ID and year 2012. Instead I want it to show the information for 2009.

The current where condition for moving between the two forms:
    ="[ID]=" & "'" & [ID] & "'"

How do I get it so that the where condition has two parameters? I want the user, when they push the button, to go to the 2nd form not only by the ID but also by year. Is it something like:
    Where Condition = "[ID]=" & "'" & [ID] & "'" AND "[intYear]=" & [intYear]

I really hate MSAccess, but government jobs seldom use anything else for data management.

Evigilant on
    Evigilant wrote: »
    Is it something like:

I really hate MSAccess, but government jobs seldom use anything else for data management.

Why do you break out of the string for AND? It should be part of the string, the where condition expects a string not an AND (?) of two.

OrokosPA.png
    edited May 2012
    Is it something like:

Why do you break out of the string for AND? It should be part of the string, the where condition expects a string not an AND (?) of two.

So something like this?
    ="[ID]=" & Me![ID] & "and [intYear]='" & Me![intYear] & "'"

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out what you where talking about, and I'm an idiot because I had my conditions mixed up. One is a string and the other is an integer, so I was checking for a string with the year and checking for integer with the ID (which is a string). Makes sense why I kept getting type mismatch errors. Thanks for the help Infidel.
    This is what my where condition is now:
    "[intYear]=" & Me![intYear] & "and [ID]='" & Me![ID] & "'"

Evigilant on
    Is it something like:

So something like this?
    ="[ID]=" & Me![ID] & "and [intYear]='" & Me![intYear] & "'"

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out what you where talking about, and I'm an idiot because I had my conditions mixed up. One is a string and the other is an integer, so I was checking for a string with the year and checking for integer with the ID (which is a string). Makes sense why I kept getting type mismatch errors. Thanks for the help Infidel.
    This is what my where condition is now:
    "[intYear]=" & Me![intYear] & "and [ID]='" & Me![ID] & "'"

You'll want a space before the 'and' as well.

OrokosPA.png
    Well the dynamic keyword from C# is pretty neat.

Makes intellisense worthless, but neat.

This discussion has been closed.