As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

YA[Programming]T :: Interview? That's an MVC thing, right?

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    @Weretaco
    I'm probably missing the real problem but do you have any need for the intermediate object (the non-D3 go between). If no can you essentially go straight from xml to D3? If yes, looking at your code sample, can you skip the type checking and just hit the .ToString() method?

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    @Weretaco
    I'm probably missing the real problem but do you have any need for the intermediate object (the non-D3 go between). If no can you essentially go straight from xml to D3? If yes, looking at your code sample, can you skip the type checking and just hit the .ToString() method?

I will need the in between and there has to be conversion on some data types.

Currently working on something along the lines of

http://pastebin.com/GqKzvX6e

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hi! I'm Jam. You may remember me from such H/A posts as:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/155219/how-do-i-get-someone-to-make-my-game-idea-joke-title-learning-to-program

I recently purchased a book entitled 'Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner.'

I just now managed to write a little program to make the computer guess the number I'm thinking of by going higher and lower.

Then I slapped my forehead and rewrote it so it took into account its previous guesses and thus was a lot quicker to get the right answer!

I am stupidly proud of my tiny achievement.

I still keep capitalising my functions.

Okay baby time is over. You can go back to adult discussions now.

Congratulations! =)

One of us, one of us!

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Calculus for an Associate Degree, bowen? That's some hardcore school.

steam_sig.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    ITT Tech be crazy yo.

Yes, yes.

I actually knew how to program before I went there though, and I thought it'd be the fastest way to get into the working world... didn't know it'd be the most expensive either. I was a bad ass 14 year old with all my C++ and linux skills.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Weretaco wrote: »
    @Weretaco

This will probably help explain what I mean by the type checking...
    http://pastebin.com/hntHfhMS

For types like bool it's probably cleaner to leave what you have (rather than creating something like MyBool for instance) but as long as your Objects override the ToString() method it should reduce your convert method.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Abstract Algebra was the best math class I ever took. It was the first quarter my school had ever offered it, so there were only four students, and it was taught by the same professor who taught my Linear Algebra class. On top of that she had specialized in Algebraic Topology in school, so it was even in her area of interest, which tends to make a professor a little more animated.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    I did a lot of math for my degree, you just made me look up my old unoffical transcript (even though this was only 2002-2007).

I was required to take

MATH 100 CALCULUS:I
    MATH 101 CALCULUS:II
    MATH 122 LOGIC AND FOUNDATIONS
    MATH 202 INTERMED CALC:COMPUTER SC
    MATH 222 DISCRETE+COMBINATOR MATH
    MATH 233A MATRIX ALGEBRA:I
    STAT 260 INTRO PROBABILITY+STAT:I

A couple of my CSC classes were pretty heavy too, but I'd only really call 1 of them "Math". It was CSC 320 FOUNDATIONS:C SC, which was Turing machines, logic, proofs, etc. (from the course description: typical topics include finite automata, Turing machines, undecidable problems, context free languages and computational complexity)

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Let's see... I did

MATH 1000 - calc I
    MATH 1001 - calc II
    COMP 4734 - Matrix computations & applications
    ENGI 1405 - Engineering Math I
    ENGI 2422 - Engineering Math II
    ENGI 3423 - Probability & Statistics
    ENGI 3422 - Discrete Math for Engineers
    ENGI 4423 - Numerical Methods for EE
    ENGI 4823 - Systems & Signals (z-transform, laplace & fourier)
    ENGI 7824 - DT Systems & Signals (DFT)

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Math eh?

Let's see... I graduated from Georgia Tech with a CS degree back in 2006. I AP'ed out of Calc I, then I had to take what we called "Calc II" but was really "L'Hopital's Rule and then 3.5 months of linear algebra". I then took a class called "Calc III for CS" which was actually pretty cool. Whereas the engineers did their multidimensional calc in just 2 or 3 dimensions we wrote programs and stuff to do it in an arbitrary number. Then I got my only D ever in my entire academic career in "Applied Combinatorics". People usually then ask me what that is, and then I tell them I don't know because I got a D. The last math class I had to take was your standard sort of probability and statistics class.

Within CS, freshman year I took our discrete math course, and of course I had theory.

• Napalm DonkeyNapalm Donkey Registered User regular
    Hey I just started to try and learn Fortran and I've run into a problem that I can't figure out.
    My program just takes the dot product of two arrays using the SDOT function from BLAS, but the dot product is always 0.
    Code:
          PROGRAM test
          REAL ans, v1(2), v2(2)
          DATA v1/1.0,2.0/, v2/3.0,4.0/

C Prints the dot product of v1 and v2.      

ans = SDOT (2, v1(1), 1, v2(1), 1)
          CALL SSWAP (2, v1(1), 1, v2(1), 1)
          WRITE (*,*) 'v1 =', v1
          WRITE (*,*) 'v2 =', v2
          WRITE (*,*) 'ans=', ans
          STOP
          END

Output:
    $ gfortran test.f -framework veclib
    $ ./a.out
     v1 =   3.0000000       4.0000000    
     v2 =   1.0000000       2.0000000    
     ans=   0.0000000

I added in the call to SSWAP to see if anything from BLAS worked and the vectors are swapped correctly. I feel like I am making an obvious mistake in how I'm calling the function or passing the arrays since I don't know Fortran very well. Not sure if it matters for this but I am running osx 10.7, and using gfortran 4.6.2.

4cgipuI.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    yikes. y'all are a smart bunch. i'm anxious to take all the advanced math my cc has to offer: calc 1, calc 2, vector calc, discrete math, linear algebra, diff eq. i am kind of worried that vector calc and diff eq won't transfer to every school (to some it will, to some it won't). the schools i'm looking at are: cornell, rice, u of chicago, u of virginia, usc, georgetown, lehigh, unc chapel hill.

in addition to angling for the math minor i'm also hoping that having that sort of schedule will make me a competitive applicant at some of those (quite selective) schools.

thanks.

ASimPerson wrote: »
    Math eh?

Let's see... I graduated from Georgia Tech with a CS degree back in 2006. I AP'ed out of Calc I, then I had to take what we called "Calc II" but was really "L'Hopital's Rule and then 3.5 months of linear algebra". I then took a class called "Calc III for CS" which was actually pretty cool. Whereas the engineers did their multidimensional calc in just 2 or 3 dimensions we wrote programs and stuff to do it in an arbitrary number. Then I got my only D ever in my entire academic career in "Applied Combinatorics". People usually then ask me what that is, and then I tell them I don't know because I got a D. The last math class I had to take was your standard sort of probability and statistics class.

Within CS, freshman year I took our discrete math course, and of course I had theory.

What a coincidence; I'm trying to learn Fortran because of calc3 for cs haha. Sounds like the math curriculum hasn't changed at all.

4cgipuI.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    In response to the malware discussion:

Flame currently has little in common with Stuxnet and Duqu, but Duqu is a direct descendant of Stuxnet, and all three of them exploit the same vulnerability. What makes Flame so different is how hard it was to detect. I would imagine this is because they use an embedded Lua virtual machine, probably in a kernel mode driver, to do the actual infection. The machine level code being run wouldn't seem malicious or out of bounds.

This could have been done with Python, Ruby, basically anything embed-able. It's likely Lua was chosen because it's a very simple language to get up and going, and it's virtual machine is easy to embed.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My new job wants me to learn to make a PHP shopping cart from scratch (paid internship) because nobody in the building has ever made a shopping cart before. My new co worker, a cool Korean kid and CS major, made this really awesome system in which a whole Quickbooks system is converted and transferred into a MySQL database. I bought this book to learn from it to see if I can make a cart out of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Effortless-E-Commerce-MySQL-Larry-Ullman/dp/0321656229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338505948&sr=8-1

It's hardly the end all and be all, especially since there is already a database with a ten thousand items in it already, but I hope it suits me well. But if anyone knows good references for making a shopping site, I'd love to hear it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @Weretaco

This will probably help explain what I mean by the type checking...
    http://pastebin.com/hntHfhMS

For types like bool it's probably cleaner to leave what you have (rather than creating something like MyBool for instance) but as long as your Objects override the ToString() method it should reduce your convert method.

I guess the real question is: Is it better to do the data manipulation in the get for each property (with a lot of duplicated logic/a function call), or make a generic converter that iterates over each property and does a conversion based on it's type.

edit. a note on scale..
    the current object is 220 properties, and about 8-10 of those are collections which 5-10 of their own properties
    The auto generated from xsd .cs file is 6300 lines :)

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    I'm not seeing the duplicate logic but then again my brain is fried. I either need more or less caffeine, I haven't decided yet. Don't mind me :P

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    @Cantido:

You're employer realizes what's actually involved in a "shopping cart", right? It's not just an interface with an "Add To Cart" button and some session state to track a users cart. You have to deal with security, encryption of user data, payment card interfacing, PayPal interfacing if they want that as a payment option. It's a really serious undertaking, especially for an intern.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Math eh?

What a coincidence; I'm trying to learn Fortran because of calc3 for cs haha. Sounds like the math curriculum hasn't changed at all.

Well, we didn't use Fortrain :) Pretty sure I used some Maple and some Java in that class.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    @Cantido:

You're employer realizes what's actually involved in a "shopping cart", right? It's not just an interface with an "Add To Cart" button and some session state to track a users cart. You have to deal with security, encryption of user data, payment card interfacing, PayPal interfacing if they want that as a payment option. It's a really serious undertaking, especially for an intern.

He's aware, and yes it's going to be a tremendous amount of work, and part time no less. My campus has a really nice internship program (one of the "good" career services/experiential learning programs) in which the employer works with a counselor and evaluates you on what you learn. So it's not a "make me rich in x months or i'll fire your ass" situation.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    At the point when the judge mentioned he was an actual programmer, I was almost certain he was going to decide that way, and it just became a matter of writing up his reasoning.

Math I took at Community College:
    * Precalc (My high school forgot to teach me Trig)
    * Calc 1 (Derivatives)
    * Calc 2 (Integrals)
    * Calc 3 (Multivariable)

Math I took at Real College:
    * Matrix Algebra
    * Intro to Differntial Equations (ODE's)
    * Discrete Math I and II (Logic, Relations, Combinatorics, Graph Theory)
    * Design and Analysis of Algorithms (Counts for my Math Minor)
    * Intro to Abstract Algebra (Mostly group theory with a bit about rings)
    * Probability and Stats for Engineers and Scientists (Stats with Calculus)

Also, Gnometank, I think something I was fundamentally confused about was the fact that you can point forms at a different URL with the action tag. I was not aware of that.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    You might disagree with my comparison, and it's not a perfect one, but I always thought CS classes are to Math classes what English classes are to writing classes.

CS classes teach about the syntax, semantics and how to tell the computer how to process your ideas, math classes help you form the underlying model that you need to tell the computer how to process.

Both are important to any programmer, being good and knowing a lot about both will only help you, and dependent on your specific function/style, you may emphasize one over the other as it suits your needs.
    Hi! I'm Jam. You may remember me from such H/A posts as:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/155219/how-do-i-get-someone-to-make-my-game-idea-joke-title-learning-to-program

I recently purchased a book entitled 'Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner.'

I just now managed to write a little program to make the computer guess the number I'm thinking of by going higher and lower.

Then I slapped my forehead and rewrote it so it took into account its previous guesses and thus was a lot quicker to get the right answer!

I am stupidly proud of my tiny achievement.

I still keep capitalising my functions.

Okay baby time is over. You can go back to adult discussions now.

Congratulations! =)

One of us, one of us!

Grats! If you have any questions I'm sure we'll be more than happy to answer. I even have a considerable amount of python experience now so I can actually answer questions specific to that language.

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    I guess the real question is: Is it better to do the data manipulation in the get for each property (with a lot of duplicated logic/a function call), or make a generic converter that iterates over each property and does a conversion based on it's type.

edit. a note on scale..
    the current object is 220 properties, and about 8-10 of those are collections which 5-10 of their own properties
    The auto generated from xsd .cs file is 6300 lines :)

I think it depends a lot on what happens next. In similar situations, where my params start getting complicated and type-sensitive, that's when I start migrating over to loading the values into a bean, instead of trying to loop through them.

How does being able to loop through them all help you? Once you have a given object, don't you then split off and do completely different work based on its type and property name?

Well turns out there are some odd bugs when calling the built-in BLAS library on OSX from Fortran code, but I got it figured out.

Out of curiosity if I know that I will only be finding the dot product of 2D vectors and I write my own function that just does this:
    f(A,B) = A(1)*B(1) + A(2)B(2)

Is there any reason why my function would be slower than using the one from the BLAS library? I don't really know much about this but I feel like they should be similar in speed unless the built-in function is optimized for my hardware. Is that possible?

4cgipuI.jpg
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Yess Jam Warrior! Join the Python fold! I can help you with beginnery/intermediate stuff.

On the subject of CS education. My job provides up to $2000 per year tuition reimbursement, which means I can take 5 credit hours per semester for essentially free. My previous 2 semesters of Chinese ran about 30 dollars over once registration fees and such were included. However, I guess they don't have enough students to justify Chinese III every year (Chinese 102 ended with 6 students) so I'm thinking of taking some Math or CS courses.

In college was double majoring in CS and Computer System Administration, but when we did my degree check, there was enough overlap between the two I'd have had to extra classes to get both majors. It came down to CSA requiring one class and an internship I was already doing, and CS requiring two more upper level courses, that because my college was so small were only offered every other jointly between 3 area schools. I'd be able to get one, but all of the other classes I'd need would next be offered a year after i was due to graduate (unless I was willing to drive 90 minutes to another university (no car, no license, little money)). As well as a final project.

Long story short, I did not finish my CS degree. Graduated 6 years ago.
    Mathwise I took
    Calc II (kicked my butt, because I enrolled in the honors section to impress/be with the girl I liked. but I passed)
    Combinatorics and Graph Theory (Combinatorics slightly kicked my butt. I slightly kicked Graph Theory's)

CSwise
    Programming I&II (C++)
    Software Studio (Java :rotate: )*
    Data Structures (Java :rotate: )
    Database Management Systems
    Operating Systems (C)
    Computer Systems (Assembly, transistors and such)
    Computer Networking
    probably a couple other things I don't specifically recall.

So, reflecting on my High School and college math experiences, it seems I'm really good at arithmetic, but bad at Math. Like, proofs and such. Hate 'em.
    Just trying to figure out where to go from here. I'm fairly certain they're not going to take all my credits given how long it's been. Looks they do have Linear Algebra this semester. I don't know I feel this is a long rambly post with not much point.

*Hey lets tell a story to reward you for that well of text. That was a Credit/No Credit class and thank god. The only other person in that class was the girl I mentioned from Calc II. Yeah. We'd ended up dating for a year and it was going really well and then she dumped me right before finals of the fall semester. So that class was extremely uncomfortable. We were basically completely unable to work together. I'm fairly certain the prof, who, it being a very small college knew us well, picked up on that because there was no way we should have passed that class.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    P5190061.JPG

Well, it's official now. Take that, every advisor I had as an undergraduate who said I wasn't cut out for doing a post-graduate degree!
    You were totally right, it took me years to figure out what the hell I was doing. Why didn't you tell me to do a master's degree first?

I start my first non-college related job ever on Monday, which is only remarkable in that I'm pushing 30 at this point. I am absolutely terrified.

On the programming front, I've been designing my first app (I just got a droid to play with). It's going to take a picture of a pizza, do edge detection to determine where the slices are, and run number partitioning to determine the fairest division of slices among N people. Eventually I'd like to have it calculate the bill based on cost and tip, but I think I'll have enough trouble getting the edge detection done on the slices.

I've been toying around with some things on my desktop, and I can pretty easily find a slice of pizza if the pizza is pulled apart a bit. When the slices have just been cut though, it's not super great. I was doing that using network flow for image segmentation, but I think I'll have to actually use something interesting to detect edges in a freshly cut pie. Any suggestions?

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Congrats seabass! I got my BS degree at 26 and my first real programming job at 27. So you aren't that much older than me :P

Congrats seabass.

Also I hope nobody ever steals your stapler.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Cantido wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    @Cantido:

He's aware, and yes it's going to be a tremendous amount of work, and part time no less. My campus has a really nice internship program (one of the "good" career services/experiential learning programs) in which the employer works with a counselor and evaluates you on what you learn. So it's not a "make me rich in x months or i'll fire your ass" situation.

Hah a fulltime employee would take probably 3-4 months to do that realistically... so, he's going to wait almost a year for a shopping cart? That seems silly.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Installed Ubuntu 12 on my machine and it is using Unity. I think it's great, but the only thing holding me back from installing this at home is the fact that I cannot play any of my Steam games (Saint's Row 3 and Diablo 3 first and foremost). If I could I would use it completely.

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to the discussion here, but that's not normal? My C.S. associate's degree that I'm working on requires a couple of calculus classes. I just took trig w/pre-calc last semester, in the fall I do Calculus with Analytic Geometry 1 and then the next semester Calculus with Analytic Geometry 2. I also have to take some "Mathematical Structures" class which appears to cover at least an intro to set theory, combinatorics, and other stuff like that.

• Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Congrats seabass!

That app sounds cool. Being able to do stuff like that is exactly why I returned to get my degree. I do web app stuff now and I get to solve some interesting scalability problems, but I want to be one of the guys that writes Celery, RabbitMQ, Django (well, not really, I could do this if I wanted and I use django now because I'm tired of writing all that crap), ffmpeg, etc. rather than just figuring out the best combination of those and ways to use those apps (or their alternatives) to not blow up the server.

Jimmy King wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    I'm a bit late to the discussion here, but that's not normal? My C.S. associate's degree that I'm working on requires a couple of calculus classes. I just took trig w/pre-calc last semester, in the fall I do Calculus with Analytic Geometry 1 and then the next semester Calculus with Analytic Geometry 2. I also have to take some "Mathematical Structures" class which appears to cover at least an intro to set theory, combinatorics, and other stuff like that.

You wouldn't expect it from a vocational associates degree in a technical school, maybe CC level AS degrees though.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    has anyone tried Coda 2 yet

is it worth it

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I had a couple calc classes, I think some stats, discrete math and linear algrebra. I wish I had put more effort in the math side of things.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    has anyone tried Coda 2 yet

is it worth it

I use vim for my daily web work, so I don't think this is "for me." :lol:

OrokosPA.png
    Pico because that's how I roll.

Sublime text 2 though.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Pico because that's how I roll. :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
    I use it to code Java :rotate:

This discussion has been closed.