As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

YA[Programming]T :: Interview? That's an MVC thing, right?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    If you're finding that you're not challenged, then complete the assignment and visit your professor during office hours and ask if you could work with him/her for additional learning opportunities.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Unfortunately, based on http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17e_computer.pdf, the only way I could be more confident that my job does, unfortunately, qualify as exempt under FLSA is by talking directly to the DoL (and I probably will, just to be safe since I'm not at all happy with this change), a lawyer, or someone else in a very similar position who has already done those things.

I'm paid well over that minimum and my primary duties are, at least currently, taking user requirements and then coming up with architecture and writing code to build new software from the ground up and will probably now be moving into taking user requirements and deisgning and implementing modifications to existing software.

The guys who were doing the on call support almost certainly should not have been exempt, though.

The problem is your specific job doesn't really facilitate on call. So you'd be exempt from something like 80 hours because of a deadline for a week. But longer than the week and you'd no longer be considered exempt. And on call isn't even considered part of that.

Absolutely call them.

Yeah, I will to be safe. In any case, I'll be jumping ship asap. Paid properly or not, I don't want to do level 1 support. I've busted my ass to not be in the line of work, the hell if I'm going to do it now after accepting a job where that was not part of the duties up front without seeing at least a 25% pay increase and even then I may just not be able to tolerate it. I'll do it as long as I'm here so I don't screw the other guys over, but hopefully I won't be around long past the new year.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I wouldn't, the other guys would not hesitate to screw you over I bet. You're far too nice!

I'd probably outright refuse and see who would fold first. Worst case you get unemployment, best case someone else does it for you and they begrudgingly figure out a way to get you to quit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Regex help again..
    <Location>0,0</Location>

Easiest way to get rid of everything within (and including) the <>'s?

</*> literally grabs it all (which makes sense).

Regexes are bad at this because they like greedy matches, you can try <[^<>]+> which should match an individual tag

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That almost looks like some kind of japanese emoticon.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    That's about right.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    That almost looks like some kind of japanese emoticon.

You've got it the other way around. The Japanese comunicate their emotions with regex.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Regex help again..
    <Location>0,0</Location>

Regexes are bad at this because they like greedy matches, you can try <[^<>]+> which should match an individual tag

interesting... not sure how it is grabbing all of the information between the <>'s using that but it seems to work so I won't complain. Thanks :)

• Options
    To break it down:
    - starts with <
    - at least one character in the set of characters that aren't < or > (having < here prevents matching bad tags, > prevents the greedy matching of everything)
    - ends with >

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    (>'.')>

• Options
    Oh... I didn't realize that '^' was not, I thought that was first.

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    Oh... I didn't realize that '^' was not, I thought that was first.
    When it's the first character inside [] then it means not.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Regex help again..
    <Location>0,0</Location>

interesting... not sure how it is grabbing all of the information between the <>'s using that but it seems to work so I won't complain. Thanks :)

Any reason you're trying to parse what looks like XML with regex and not, like, an XML parser?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Any reason you're trying to parse what looks like XML with regex and not, like, an XML parser?

Yeah, that looks exactly like a situation the "You have a problem so you use a regex, now you have two problems" saying was made for.

• Options
    It's not really XML... It's just something I wrote into a text document that I am parsing out. The file looks something like this:
    [Button]
    <Location>0,0</Location>
    [Label]
    <Text>Hello</Text>

• Options
    You really honestly should just convert that to XML honky.
    <button>
      <location>
        <x>0</x>
        <y>0</y>
      </location>
    </button>

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Well, not saying your approach is flawed, but why not build (what I assume is) your layout file just in XML and then parse it?
    <layout>
    <button>
    <locationx>0</locationx>
    <locationy>0</locationy>
    </button>
    <label>
    <text>Hello</hello>
    </label>
    </layout>

(assuming that the label is separate from the button)

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I was like "hurr.. this should be really easy for me to parse out what I need". I was definitely wrong... my regex is as rusty as my car.

I have spent the past 20 minutes trying to get <Location>0,0</Location> to parse to "Location" and cannot do it. I'm even using the regexhelper website.

http://regexpal.com/

urahonky on
  • Options
    Regex is terrible. And doubly so for what you're doing.

• Options
    Fine... I hate you guys. Being so right all the time.

• Options
    Regex is pattern matching, so, a zip code or SSN, good.

Regex should never be used for trying to parse the text between an XML stylized string. Though you probably can do it, I'd question the sanity of someone who would.

• Options
    You're better, honestly, splitting a string, and going through a lexical analyzer of sorts than using regex.

• Options
    I AM CALLING YOU OUT HONKY WE SHALL FIGHT TO THE DEATH AND I CHOSE THE WEAPON
    knives

at dawn

goodday

• Options
    knives

at dawn

goodday

as long as the weapon isn't regex or java :rotate:

• Options
    Java :rotate: .... my kryptonite

• Options
    Basically, regex isn't parsing. Parsing via regex is a way to pain!

• Options
    knives

at dawn

goodday

as long as the weapon isn't regex or java :rotate:

Aww... I got my knuckles all lined up and everything...

• Options
    And I'd convert that thing to full on XML at that level, too. You'll thank us later.

• Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    Any of you all have some recommendations for books on PHP, Javascript, and maybe Objective-C/iOS? I've got a hackathon deal coming up in November and although I'm self taught to some degree in all this, I'd like to actually be somewhat proficient by then.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Go to Mozilla's developer resources for Javascript. That is, assuming you're not using a library like jQuery. If you are, go to their developer resources as well. :)

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/JavaScript

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I'd suggest a different route.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    You'd need a cluster of holy texts to exorcise the demons from Java.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    Thanks! I have a pretty solid background in Java and C++/C#, and have been going through the codeacademy js lessons but I want something that delves a little deeper into what differentiates it from other languages and such. Any recommendations for PHP?

• Options
    You'd need a cluster of holy texts to exorcise the demons from Java.

J2EE can help you out with that by managing the exorcism for you!

• Options
    Also, has anyone here gone through the Google interview process? Are they as crazy as the stories say?

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Any of you all have some recommendations for books on PHP, Javascript, and maybe Objective-C/iOS? I've got a hackathon deal coming up in November and although I'm self taught to some degree in all this, I'd like to actually be somewhat proficient by then.

Yeah, Javascript: The Good Parts as adam said is an excellent recommendation for java. (I posted a video of a talk of the author a couple of pages ago, so you may check it and see if his tone would be a good fit for you).
    "PHP: Objects, patterns & practice" is a decent read for PHP, depending on your level.
    I wouldn't start reading with the expectation of being proficient by November, but both will help;o)

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Also, has anyone here gone through the Google interview process? Are they as crazy as the stories say?

I know a guy who works there and another guy who interviewed there last year. I don't remember details but I believe the answer is roughly "yes".

• Options
    As much as I'd love all that money I don't think I could handle the interview as well as not having a PhD in software.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    "I don't know the answer to that problem, I'd probably just Bing it"

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
This discussion has been closed.