As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] - The Prettiest Snowflake Never Melts in Hell (Inferno, on the other hand...)

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    If anyone comes across a decent 800+ dps one hander with a lot of life on hit on it, please let me know. Preferably a Sword, Dagger, or Monk fist

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    wakkawa wrote: »
    To be fair, the first 2 difficulties of diablo are just a formality. The real game begins when you can find fun gear.

Which can be argued there is no fun gear in d3.

Diablo 2 was never about "fun gear"(i.e. quirky bonuses on particular pieces of equipment) until people duped the economy to the point that the wacky uniques and runewords became easily available. For the most part the game was always just about getting better stats to kick more ass. Which is fun. Making insane builds was the metagame people came up with to amuse themselves when the proper game was used up.

Yeah, that's such an odd complaint. People throw out stuff like "There's no enigma!" etc like that item and those like it were the focus of D2. Maybe for a few people it was, but then so was PvP and all those other things D2 wasn't about. Duping wont be around (probably) so if Blizzard goes and adds 'enigma' most people won't even have it.

Shit, Enigma didn't even exist until 2003. Surely some of the reason why there isn't crazy stuff like that is so Blizzard has room to expand the game.

And also because runewords were really dumb. In a non-duped economy you would never see someone who managed to acquire the necessary rare runes.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm a little torn about this whole act 3 tyrael thing because I can't decide which levels of his usage are total bullshit/an exploit. using him to clear mobs while you're dead is lazy, using him to actually kill elites while you're dead takes forever and is clearly stupid in multiple ways, but what about just having him in earlier parts of act 3? I could get 5 stacks for siegebreaker and kill siegebreaker without him, but it'd definitely take longer and be even more of a pain in my mildly undergeared ass.

unrelated, I got a 250 armor base bracer from a resplendent chest in act 3, potentially an okay wizard drop:
    51 int
    40 vit
    17% extra gold
    crit chance increased by 5.5%
    reduced melee damage by 6%

is it a dud, or can I sell it for anything?

edit: forgot an important bit of my tyrael guilt trip: packs almost never reset with him around, because he keeps the timer going until you hit the rez button, extending the zerg possibilities even further. there is the enrage timer, but there's a lot of grey area inbetween the timer and packs I could actually kill without the 13 second rez screwing me.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Has anyone been able to post auctions at all today?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Kambing wrote: »
    If any fresh 60s need 600-700 dps one-handers and 700-1000 dps two-handers to get started, let me know. I have a few extras lying around.

Any chance one of those 2 handers is a crossbow?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options

Has anyone been able to post auctions at all today?

Yes, and every day for the past week. Is it giving you an error?

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    If any fresh 60s need 600-700 dps one-handers and 700-1000 dps two-handers to get started, let me know. I have a few extras lying around.

if he doesn't happen to have one, I have an 880 dps crossbow that's been collecting dust in my stash. I can hit you up after I kill siegebreaker.

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of this item rage is due to people, having taken yet another spin on the Diablolike merry-go-ground, finally find themselves questioning the logic and merits of basing almost the entire game around the whims of what is basically a glorified slot machine.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »

if he doesn't happen to have one, I have an 880 dps crossbow that's been collecting dust in my stash. I can hit you up after I kill siegebreaker.

Yeah no bows. Sorry. =(

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options

That'd be awesome, probably gonna hit 60 tonight, getting kind of close. Killjoy#1811

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    I think it's good that you asked for your money back. It's the truest form of feedback. I can tell them how much I don't like playing the current game all I want, but yet if I log in every day then what does that really say? If I tell them straight up "Nah bro, I want my money back" then they will definitely understand that I don't like the game.

Actions speak louder than words and all that. If as many people asked for their money back as people are complaining about how much not fun the game is, then they'd likely change things.

That's what I love about MMOs. That unsubscribe button is pretty powerful. A very real and easy way to tell a company "Yea, I don't like what's going on here." That's why wow has such awesome things as LFG, and now LFR.

I'm completely serious about that by the way. I think LFG is the greatest thing in the game, and I don't think any WoW like MMO can live without it these days (SWTOR for instance). And then this year with the millions of people unsubscribing in Cataclysm because they THOUGHT people wanted the game to be harder, but we really didn't, so they released an expansion billet feature in a content patch update to try and stop people from cancelling accounts.

Blizzard isn't dumb. They will "tweak" Inferno, and I think it will be significantly easier. They will "tweak" Legendaries, and they will be way fucking better than they are now.

This is being ridiculously presumptuous and kinda goosey.

Less then 2% of the player-base has even touched Inferno. They aren't gonna re-evaluate the game based on what that tiny percentage thinks is unbalanced. The people quiting now are the equivalent of the power-levelers trying to get world/server first, who hit max level and then complain there's no content in the game.

• Options
    Torgairon is a gentleman and a scholar. This bow he gave me will add 27.5 thousand damage when I can equip it.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    wakkawa wrote: »
    To be fair, the first 2 difficulties of diablo are just a formality. The real game begins when you can find fun gear.

Which can be argued there is no fun gear in d3.

Diablo 2 was never about "fun gear"(i.e. quirky bonuses on particular pieces of equipment) until people duped the economy to the point that the wacky uniques and runewords became easily available. For the most part the game was always just about getting better stats to kick more ass. Which is fun. Making insane builds was the metagame people came up with to amuse themselves when the proper game was used up.

Yeah, that's such an odd complaint. People throw out stuff like "There's no enigma!" etc like that item and those like it were the focus of D2. Maybe for a few people it was, but then so was PvP and all those other things D2 wasn't about. Duping wont be around (probably) so if Blizzard goes and adds 'enigma' most people won't even have it.

It's not "There's no enigma!"

It's that there's not:

Crushing blow
    Prevent Monster Heal
    Cannot be frozen
    +to Skills
    +% elemental damage in any reasonable quantity
    Slain monsters rest in peace

or any of the other mods that had utility and were on a few pieces of gear. I've said time and time again, you can pretty much straight port Ravenfrost into this game and it would be an incredible item that would open up interesting options in your build choice. The gear just isn't exciting. It's almost entirely 100% vertical. I've never felt there any difficult or fun choices for gear. If you want more damage, one item is better at that. If you want more defense "this item is better than that item" etc. Look at Titan's Revenge - when I found that item it was so intriguing that I actually wanted to roll a javazon, just to try out that build.

I've yet to find an item that's inspired me, and it's disappointing.

Roz on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i miss crushing blow

and deadly strike

i just want my death cleaver back ;_;

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Cannot Be Frozen would be a godsend.

I'd also like to see them bring back the really old concept of fire damage burns enemies, lightning stuns them, ice freezes them, holy hurts demons, etc etc. Some actual variety apart from ragdoll flavor.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I think it's good that you asked for your money back. It's the truest form of feedback. I can tell them how much I don't like playing the current game all I want, but yet if I log in every day then what does that really say? If I tell them straight up "Nah bro, I want my money back" then they will definitely understand that I don't like the game.

Actions speak louder than words and all that. If as many people asked for their money back as people are complaining about how much not fun the game is, then they'd likely change things.

That's what I love about MMOs. That unsubscribe button is pretty powerful. A very real and easy way to tell a company "Yea, I don't like what's going on here." That's why wow has such awesome things as LFG, and now LFR.

I'm completely serious about that by the way. I think LFG is the greatest thing in the game, and I don't think any WoW like MMO can live without it these days (SWTOR for instance). And then this year with the millions of people unsubscribing in Cataclysm because they THOUGHT people wanted the game to be harder, but we really didn't, so they released an expansion billet feature in a content patch update to try and stop people from cancelling accounts.

Blizzard isn't dumb. They will "tweak" Inferno, and I think it will be significantly easier. They will "tweak" Legendaries, and they will be way fucking better than they are now.

Less then 2% of the player-base has even touched Inferno. They aren't gonna re-evaluate the game based on what that tiny percentage thinks is unbalanced. The people quiting now are the equivalent of the power-levelers trying to get world/server first, who hit max level and then complain there's no content in the game.

I'm being a little presumptuous, sure. But ridiculously so? They already said they were going to look into Inferno and make the damage less spikey. Which to me, means they will make monsters do less damage. Which will bring more build diversity. Which will mean they have made it significantly easier than it is now. They also said they are going to make legendaries something to be excited about.

Without trying to go into tinfoil hat territory, the RMAH is a large part of Blizzard's business plan with this game. If millions of people stop playing the game before they even release it then it will pull in much less money than projected. If they pull in much less money than projected then they have a sub-satisfactory quarter. Now the shareholders aren't too happy, and neither will Jay Wilson be when he is on the phone with the people that pay his salary and they are arguing about how to get people back into the game so that the RMAH has more potential users.

Blizzard is in the business of making money. They are pretty good at it. To maximize the amount of money they get from this game will require making the game enjoyable and addicting to as many people as possible. Inferno mode seems to discourage a lot of people from playing the game.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

I'm being a little presumptuous, sure. But ridiculously so? They already said they were going to look into Inferno and make the damage less spikey. Which to me, means they will make monsters do less damage. Which will bring more build diversity. Which will mean they have made it significantly easier than it is now. They also said they are going to make legendaries something to be excited about.

Without trying to go into tinfoil hat territory, the RMAH is a large part of Blizzard's business plan with this game. If millions of people stop playing the game before they even release it then it will pull in much less money than projected. If they pull in much less money than projected then they have a sub-satisfactory quarter. Now the shareholders aren't too happy, and neither will Jay Wilson be when he is on the phone with the people that pay his salary and they are arguing about how to get people back into the game so that the RMAH has more potential users.

Blizzard is in the business of making money. They are pretty good at it. To maximize the amount of money they get from this game will require making the game enjoyable and addicting to as many people as possible. Inferno mode seems to discourage a lot of people from playing the game.

Something like 2% of people are in Inferno. The average character is MAYBE just hitting Nightmare. Maybe. I am a gigantic gamer nerd who has played the hell out of everything with the word "Diablo" stamped on it, and I am about 1/3 through act 1... Of Hell.

I think you may need to recalibrate your definition of "a lot", because the majority of people who have this game are nowhere near Inferno.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I finally killed a unique who had Invincible minions.

Feels good, man.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Going through Act 1 Inferno right now. Just fought 5 groups of chargers, all with jailor and vortex, within 15 minutes. That was just awful.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

Something like 2% of people are in Inferno. The average character is MAYBE just hitting Nightmare. Maybe. I am a gigantic gamer nerd who has played the hell out of everything with the word "Diablo" stamped on it, and I am about 1/3 through act 1... Of Hell.

I think you may need to recalibrate your definition of "a lot", because the majority of people who have this game are nowhere near Inferno.

It was 2% of characters, not players.

Reasonable to assume percentage of players is significantly higher than that, though almost certainly still somewhere in the single digits.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    "This meal is terrible."

"I know! And the portions are so small!"

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Deadly strike is just crits for characters that don't have crits. Crushing blow would be alright, but being able to stack it could really throw off monster balance.

Prevent monster heal seems unnecessary, even if there's no basic poison dot that's easy for every character to get.

The elemental damage in Diablo 2 did nothing, except for cold, which was completely useless outside of normal anyway unless you stacked a ton of it. Pretty much every monster in hell had 90%+ poison resist (no poison skills were hell viable at all, even the ridiculous ones like plague javs that could do 50k+ damage and instantly killed every monster in 8 player nightmare games). Lighting did nothing, fire did nothing. I think it's alright that they've replaced enhanced damage and +damage with elemental damage now.

No +skills sucks, though. I'll keep saying they cut it for the expansion because it would have taken actual extra work.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    Anybody looking for an MF necklace for a Monk?

amuletr.jpg

Nobody's been biting on the AH, but to an Arcane resist stacking Monk this thing is 191 Dex, 41 Resist All, 21% MF. Surely that's worth some money to somebody.

I'd use that.

Yeah, but the real question is what would you pay for it? I figured some Monk out there would pay 2mil for it, then 1.5, but no dice =/

I don't think people are going to pay well for an item without vit on it

• Options
    edited June 2012
    wow, there's really nothing that says "fuck you" quite like switching to MF gear, getting caught in a siegebreaker combo and dumping my progression gloves I paid 1M+ for on the ground to get despawned when I load the instance again.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    You know what I love? This is what I love.. Kiting an elite doing pretty well. Then running into another elite, little bit of a problem but still manageable. Then running into a group of champions. Now there's a problem. Then running into ANOTHER elite. 3 elites and a group of champions and there are lasers and walls and jails and loud cursing and death... so much death. Dying so much your equipment takes itself off and runs away.

That's what I love. Diablo 3, destroying my sanity bit by bit!

steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    wow, there's really nothing that says "fuck you" quite like switching to MF gear, getting caught in a siegebreaker combo and dumping my progression gloves I paid 1M+ for on the ground to get despawned when I load the instance again.

That sucks...but am i reading this correctly? You got him low, then during the last bit of the fight switched to your MF gear? Then accidentally dropped the MF gloves on the ground...

And then left the game and made another one not realizing you had left your gloves behind?

The only other way I can read that is that you switched to your MF gear during the fight, got caught in a combo that killed you. So in a fit of rage you threw your gloves on the ground and then left the game to make sure they were gone for good.

Either way that truly does suck :(

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

That sucks...but am i reading this correctly? You got him low, then during the last bit of the fight switched to your MF gear? Then accidentally dropped the MF gloves on the ground...

And then left the game and made another one not realizing you had left your gloves behind?

The only other way I can read that is that you switched to your MF gear during the fight, got caught in a combo that killed you. So in a fit of rage you threw your gloves on the ground and then left the game to make sure they were gone for good.

I think he's saying he was in the process of equipping his MF gear, accidentally dropped his normal gloves on the ground, died, and since he was in a boss fight area it despawned when the event reset.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »

I think he's saying he was in the process of equipping his MF gear, accidentally dropped his normal gloves on the ground, died, and since he was in a boss fight area it despawned when the event reset.

Ah ok that makes a lot more sense then. I forgot about the instance reset of the boss fight itself.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    nah, I don't blame you for not giving me much credit but this is the second time I've had this happen and when it does happen (you die while in the process of switching out gear), the piece of gear drops on the ground, I'm a corpse in a boss instance and when I reload and get kicked to the entrance to start the boss at 100%, the piece of gear is lost forever.

it kind of seems like something I could ticket, but...maybe I'm just bad? maybe I deserve everything. :(

I went and dumped the 2M I had sitting around on a pair of gloves that would have been a slight upgrade. not the end of the world, I suppose, but the first time it happened it was a piece of my junk MF set so it didn't sting quite so deeply.

edit: the thing is, I'm not sure how the gear actually ends up out of my bags. I don't drag my MF gear to the corresponding slot, I just right-click so when I die in the middle of that right-click, how is the choice of which of the two pieces that ends up on the ground even determined? it's confusing to me.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    Wow, that Kulle trick is just insane. Thanks to Khildith, Rhydun, and Classy Lady I Don't Know The PA Name Of for inviting me, sure went fast.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    nah, I don't blame you for not giving me much credit but this is the second time I've had this happen and when it does happen (you die while in the process of switching out gear), the piece of gear drops on the ground, I'm a corpse in a boss instance and when I reload and get kicked to the entrance to start the boss at 100%, the piece of gear is lost forever.

it kind of seems like something I could ticket, but...maybe I'm just bad? maybe I deserve everything. :(

I went and dumped the 2M I had sitting around on a pair of gloves that would have been a slight upgrade. not the end of the world, I suppose, but the first time it happened it was a piece of my junk MF set so it didn't sting quite so deeply.

No i'm not insulting you or anything, I just didn't really wrap my head around what had happened. Personally though the thought had never occurred to me to swap gear out mid fight like that. In light of your experience I don't think it will be something I attempt.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Hmmph, someone must have been listening. I just got a plan... for a level 60 rare shield with 4 properties, lol. One of the only level 60 4 affix rare armors you don't get for hitting 60.

Edit: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/exalted-dread-shield says it's ilvl 62, so that'd make it Act 3 Inferno quality, I think. Might crank one out in a few minutes, see if I get lucky...

Rius on
  • Options
    SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    And then this year with the millions of people unsubscribing in Cataclysm because they THOUGHT people wanted the game to be harder, but we really didn't

I think there's something here. What players want and what they say they want aren't necessarily the same thing. I think the best method Blizzard's found for adding extra hard content in WoW is through Heroic/Hard mode fights and with achievements. It allows them to have a decent range of difficulty nested within the end game content. If right now "end game" is perceived as Inferno, and Inferno is too hard, people get frustrated. But if doing Inferno with one hand tied behind your back for an achievement is impossible, it's less of an issue.

And then there's the problem that Inferno is supposed to be capable of being solo'd. Fair enough, but the real challenge of super hard modes in WoW was the coordination, not necessarily the individual talent. If the hardest mode in the game is soloable, yeah, there's probably going to be a higher percentage of people capable of beating it. And players realize this, and expect to be able to do such a thing.

You want really hard content so people can have that far off idealized awesome goal. But you still need shorter term goals for them to achieve while working toward it. There needs to be a smoother gradient, and a lot of it comes down to how this content is perceived and even sold to the players. People revolted against earning less experience from mobs in WoW when they played too long without logging off, but bonus rested experience is great! Even though they're the same thing.

They're going to nerf Inferno itself, and I expect then they'll add in extra difficulty somewhere else, somehow. It's frustrating to watch the Diablo 3 devs have this issues after having watched the WoW team do this song and dance already. But they're different games, so it's hard to blame them too much for blindly copy/pasting every little nuance -- and WoW's still trying to pin down the difficulty issue after all this time. (Okay, well it's easy for me to blame them for not seeing this coming, but I'm an overly critical jerk).

Sejarki on
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Hmm. So Tower of the Damned Level 3 doesn't have a checkpoint? Fuck you Blizzard, it's not my fault you think two elite packs right at the entrance is fair.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    XzeanXzean Registered User regular
    Wow, that Kulle trick is just insane. Thanks to Khildith, Rhydun, and Classy Lady I Don't Know The PA Name Of for inviting me, sure went fast.

Kulle trick? Say what now?

9df14c6e1e43475d.png
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Inferno butcher down. Had to do a skill swap to do it and waste my buff, but it was worth it just to down him. Worked out great, downing attempt started right when the final boss music from Grandia 2 started playing on shuffle.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Guys

Vision quest + zombie bears is insane.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Xzean wrote: »

Essentially it is the same trick as the Azmodan way of powerleveling that was really popular a week or so ago. We have four people join the game and go kill Kulle.

Person A stays in the game while the other three leave and resume, turns in the quest, and joins person B.

Person A and B turn in the quest, and joins person C.

Person A, B, and C turn in the quest and join Person D.

One final turn in and you can all go kill Kulle again.

Its about 100k exp per person per turn in, so for one Kulle kill you get just under a million exp spread out among your group, with a minimum of work. With four people on voice chat you can do these runs so easy its silly, and level from 50-60 in like two and a half hours pretty easily.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Khildith wrote: »
    Xzean wrote: »

Essentially it is the same trick as the Azmodan way of powerleveling that was really popular a week or so ago. We have four people join the game and go kill Kulle.

Person A stays in the game while the other three leave and resume, turns in the quest, and joins person B.

Person A and B turn in the quest, and joins person C.

Person A, B, and C turn in the quest and join Person D.

One final turn in and you can all go kill Kulle again.

Its about 100k exp per person per turn in, so for one Kulle kill you get just under a million exp spread out among your group, with a minimum of work. With four people on voice chat you can do these runs so easy its silly, and level from 50-60 in like two and a half hours pretty easily.

What he said, but worth mentioning that we rotated who was "Person A" every game so that the exp distribution was equal. A becomes B, B becomes C, etc.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Ok guys, need some opinions. This is the shield I made;

forgedshield.jpg

Pros: 70+ str, 8.5% crit and 4% reduced melee damage is an extremely rare combo. Only 3 shields are listed with it.

Cons: Of the 3 shields listed, two are Stormshields with huge +resist all and +block chance. The other is a rare that is basically a Stormshield anyway.

So this shield is obviously not worth 9-12m but maybe it's worth something?

Realistically if I can sell it for 120k I'll cover the cost of making it.

Edit: Damn it, I could have gotten 10% to 20% block chance and only got 13%. I think this isn't worth much more than it cost to make =/

Rius on
This discussion has been closed.