As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't go to university because DeVry wants money

13»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Now, none of this is true if you're a statutory employee, which is a certain class of independent contractor. You need to figure out which you are ASAP, because if you're not a statutory employee, you're actually making significantly less money than you thought.

Someone who is a contractor would likely owe in the ballpark of $12,000 a year on $30,000 taxable income, for instance. That's probably a bit on the high end, but, you definitely don't want to be caught owing $12,000 at tax time.

If OP is getting taxes taken out of his paycheck and not just a check cut for $500 something a week then he's probably okay. But he should probably find this out quiiiiiick.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Now, none of this is true if you're a statutory employee, which is a certain class of independent contractor. You need to figure out which you are ASAP, because if you're not a statutory employee, you're actually making significantly less money than you thought.

Someone who is a contractor would likely owe in the ballpark of $12,000 a year on $30,000 taxable income, for instance. That's probably a bit on the high end, but, you definitely don't want to be caught owing $12,000 at tax time.

If OP is getting taxes taken out of his paycheck and not just a check cut for $500 something a week then he's probably okay. But he should probably find this out quiiiiiick.

A contractor or any other independent employee will owe about 15% of income + regular income tax. +state/local taxes. 15% of your income if 4500 if you're making $30k. If total effective tax rate on 30k [state/local/federal income taxes] is 25% then you would owe 12k.

That being said, independent employees do need to report quarterly, so you should definitely do that.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    doubleeee post

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I work for an independent contractor and have a contract with them (which I guess does not make me a contractor), it's just a document that says "this assignment is to last X days during which period you will not accept employment from competing companies X Y and Z", they are contracted by various hospitals to do things. I just filled out a regular W-4 and get a regular payroll pay check for a regular hourly wage at a set number of hours per week. Specifically I make $14 an hour and work 40 hours a week, my coworkers make between $16 and $22 an hour, but every single one of them has either years or decades more experience or time with the company than me. I'm not even eligible for health insurance until my third or fourth assignment.

I was confused with my terminology. As far as I know I'm just a regular employee.

The fact that I will eventually be eligible for health insurance (and dental) means that right? I mean I hate to sound like an idiot

Again I thank everyone for the advice

Edit: employer name redacted because my contract says not to talk about my contract

override367 on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Does your employer automatically deduct income tax from your paycheck? I'm assuming that they do since you said you filled out a W-4. If they're withholding the income tax, you should be fine.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Yes, and FICA and all that jazz

override367 on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    You're good then. That's totally different. You work for a contracting company, but you, yourself, are not an independent contractor. No unexpected surprises down that road except that if the job the company has you assigned to goes away, often as not you'll be canned. But that's the way of the industry, and if you're good at it they'll try to move you to another contract or you'll be able to find work elsewhere.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah my job is actually going to end this friday, but thats just because the FY is ending. The healthcare provider we're doing still has 2000 PCs and a few thousand printers, glucose meters, and random medical equipments that need to be replaced and will likely put in the order next FY (which is in one month)

My boss has been employed 11 months out of the year by them for nearly a decade doing end of life replacements. I'd probably have continuous employment if I didn't work with such gusto, I vastly exceeded the expectations placed upon me in units configured per day - which means I miss out on some weeks of work but on the plus side shoots my name to the top of the list come July and I can confidently ask for more money

override367 on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Get a second job for 3 months and pay them. Then don't go get a bunch of student loans to get a bachelors unless it will concretely improve your pay by enough to pay 110% of the payment plus enough profit for your time. Otherwise, take a couple online classes a semester while you save money.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    theres no way I could do this job and go to school full time, if you count the drive I work 12 hours a day (well, sometimes, depends how constructiony I-43 is that day), I'm almost certain I can find a job at UW itself though, I spent 2 years at my community college working as a tutor and have a pile of glowing performance evaluations

I'm not super worried about money, ~1/3 of my income is disposable, if tomorrow I lost my job and couldn't find another one I have enough in the bank for 3-4 months buffer zone. I've honestly never been so financially secure in my whole life. It's just this really, really sets me back and is extremely stressful. I'm already not going to graduate until I'm 31, now it's probably going to be 32.

I really appreciate this forum's existence, talking through problems and getting my thoughts sorted with others really helps figure things out. The only other person I can talk to about shit like this is my mom and she's even more panicky than I am.

override367 on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    :^: glad we nipped that in the butt, I was super concerned about that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Don't go to school full time. Don't take loans to finish yet. Do three part time semesters online. Don't worry about graduating at x age. Worry about what it does for your bottom line. Graduating at 34 with no debt might be worth more money than graduation at 32 20,000 in the red. Look hard at shortening your time in school by applying for all the credit for life experience programs you can. You're goal now is no longer "the college experience" it's "skills or credentials that will make you more than you're paying for them"

If you're as secure as you say, save and pay cash and you'll build more wealth than if you walk away to chase a degree. When you get it and go back to your employer, he's gonna offer you 110% of what you're making. Maybe.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm not concerned with wealth, as long as I can afford food on my table I'm happy

The thing is, if I go 6 credits i get no grants, but ive already been qualified for like $16,000 in grants for the next year so not going full time somewhere would be silly. If I cant make it this fall I'll take some classes at the community college, spanish 2 and business ethics and other crap that universities take transfers of

override367 on
  • Options
    That changes things a bit but you have to ask yourself what the degree changes for you and how much disruption it's worth. If you go to school full time right now, you're losing the income as well as the shortfall in your grant, offset by whatever you make in college.

Is this degree going to change your life in a way that bridges (or offsets in satisfaction) that gap?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Going to a university? Almost certainly

I just feel like I'm on the long slow march to death where I am in life right now

Giving up on my dreams because it's inconvenient strikes me as kind of silly. Listen I was literally living in a kind person's basement a bit over two years ago and now I've got a seemingly endless barrage of job offers and a good long term financial outlook with or without going to a university, but it's what I've wanted to do but haven't been able to since I was 18 and told "no you can't do that". That's why it's so devastating to me to have yet another road block thrown in my way

I'm really not going to lose much income either, you have to realize I've been going to school full time for two years and I worked part time at the school. Sure I might have had to budget myself but I wasn't exactly starving or anything, the vast majority of my student loan debt was from that nightmarish first two semesters where I basically had to rebuild my life from scratch everything from transportation to housing - I think I took out ~$10,000 in loans just for basic expenses. I'm in a decent place now and that's no longer an issue.

Edit: also yes, in the vast majority of cases a bachelors degree is absolutely worth the expense

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Going to a university? Almost certainly

I just feel like I'm on the long slow march to death where I am in life right now

Giving up on my dreams because it's inconvenient strikes me as kind of silly. Listen I was literally living in a kind person's basement a bit over two years ago and now I've got a seemingly endless barrage of job offers and a good long term financial outlook with or without going to a university, but it's what I've wanted to do but haven't been able to since I was 18 and told "no you can't do that". That's why it's so devastating to me to have yet another road block thrown in my way

I'm really not going to lose much income either, you have to realize I've been going to school full time for two years and I worked part time at the school. Sure I might have had to budget myself but I wasn't exactly starving or anything, the vast majority of my student loan debt was from that nightmarish first two semesters where I basically had to rebuild my life from scratch everything from transportation to housing - I think I took out ~$10,000 in loans just for basic expenses. I'm in a decent place now and that's no longer an issue.

Edit: also yes, in the vast majority of cases a bachelors degree is absolutely worth the expense

Statistically, people with degrees earn more than people who don't, across the board, but that is tracking the vast pool of people who enter college at 18. You are not a statistic: Will it personally move you forward as much or more than the same time spent developing your career?

You want one in the field you already work in, though. And you have more job offers than you can do. Why do you feel this course in particular, training deeper in the field you're working in, will end your long slow march to death? If you don't care about money, why try to get a degree that might get you hired on where you'll be in a few years anyway?

I'm saying, what is your goal here - what door has been slammed in your face over no degree? Management? Promotion? Raises? If it's one of these things, can you get the credential needed elsewhere?

Or is there something specific you need to know how to do that you do not? If so, is a degree the best way to get the skill? Or can it be found elsewhere?

You're not in it for a rounded experience - I can tell that by the way you view non-major classes as annoying hurdles.

Seriously though, go for it, I honestly don't know how I internetted myself into the position of trying to talk someone out of college, that's not what I am trying to do, but what I am saying is seriously think about doing as much as you can without debt, and also push the college really hard - you'd be surprised what they will waive for "returning students" - my last time back, I found out they totally waived phs ed for people over 28 at the local cc, if you just asked, and I got a bunch of geology credit for work experience without even having to test.

It sounds like you're going to throw yourself out of joint to spite whoever (wrongfully and ignorantly, obviously) told you "you can't do that."

It won't work. They'll resent and pester you for succeeding, too. Go to college, but go to outgrow those people, and because it will really do what you need it to do. That's what kind of brings this line of pestering of mine back to the core topic- a degree itself has an obvious external meaning for you, and it helped devry hook you. I saw this again when you immediately volunteered disqualifiers re: your co-workers making more money than you. A degree is just one route to contentment and esteem from doing something with your life, and if you confuse the goals, it won't do what you need it to do.

What I would do with Devry is bang on them a couple times a week over the phone over some kind of deal. Stress that you want to work with them, but need your transcript. When you talk on the phone, log the time of the call, what devry location you talked to via what number, and what human being you talked to there. Try to escalate continuously - don't say "what can I do about getting this reduced" say "Who can work with me on getting this reduced" - and above all, be fucking polite on the phone. Firm, but very polite. Manners are free, and gatekeepers in particular are generally just doing their jobs when they're acting a little thick.

When you finally transact with them, if it's with their collections agency, do it by money order sent certified, and keep the stubs - no debit card, no checks. If you do decide to pay them, the ideal would be to trade the money for the transcripts at an office or campus, the next ideal would be to get a statement in writing that paying x gets you your transcripts and get a record of them taking x from you (money order stub, receipt, canceled check, etc)

Pursue everything you can find about any forgiveness policies they might have - I'm not saying lie, but if they let you out of anything for any kind of qualifying life event that remotely actually happened to you, pull on those threads and try to unravel the sweater.

Also, UW may have an academic forgiveness policy - many schools allow the exclusion of one semester from your transcripts. So you could try to pitch them using that option (if they have it) on the semester you have no transcripts for (bonus: Transferring your devry stuff was going to be a disappointing pain in the balls anyway). If you disclosed your admission, but can't get your transcripts, the only further issue they should have is with granting you gpa, and this option would mitigate that. Secondly, look into devry's accreditation in wisconsin - if they can't grant a degree there, go to the people at UW there and say, "I've got credit from a non-accredited program, can I get credit for it and do you need transcripts" -- approach it with regret, like you're trying to save them time. They also have certain obligations to only give certain financial aid for set numbers of semesters or hours attempted - transcripts are the most valid way of establishing that, but if you tell a good story and still have some records from devry, you might get them to take other receipts or schedules in lieu of a full transcript. If you can find the right person and involve them sympathetically, you can work against the reason for the rule instead of the actual rule.

Don't be afraid to try multiple calls and visits with either institution - bureaucracy is a pisser, but if you're calm and persistent, you may find the person does exist who can help you. In many places it's a dean of returning or non-traditional students. If that position exists, that person makes a comfortable living in exchange for the full time job of ironing stuff like this out, and your UW tuition and taxes pay that wage, so use them.

Finally, if you flourished in the CC environment, look for faculty there you got along with who might also teach at or know someone at the four year institution. If you were trying to transfer from a more aboveboard school, I wouldn't recommend this, but since you're trying to get around devry, ffs, and you barely actually went there, you might find a departmental dean or head with a lot of clout can unstick the wheels.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I am in it for a rounded experience, new experiences, not spending the rest of my life talking to the same four people and my mom. That and IT is a crazy inconsistent field. What if I decide I want to be a writer or teacher or something?

I feel incredibly unfulfilled and frustrated for reasons entirely unrelated to money. I've got a substantial number of transfer credits ad well

override367 on
  • Options
    I get that and I'm really not trying to talk you out of it, but you have to understand, the rest of us don't get why a good playing IT job condemns you to a life of talking to the same four people and your mom. Are your hours crazy? Do you not feel you can afford anything outside of work? It sounds like you have your own place and disposable income, why aren't you out in the world a bit more?

Just for another spitball, if you really want to make money doing something that's pretty easy, has some travel, offers you lots of choice of employers, and gets you out of the cube at times, look at geology or petroleum engineering.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I have good reasons, maybe ill explain when IM in front of a keyboard but I've already elaborated on personal details to an uncomfortable extent

override367 on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well this is going to have to court, I finally have a bunch of free time since I'm off until probably the second week in July, and after spending a few days playing phone tag I've come to the conclusion this is going to be impossible

Financially? Oh no

They cannot figure out who owns the debt. So DeVry has no idea who I owe money to but the hold is still on there. Apparently they sold the debt ~5 years ago.

Does this help or hurt me? If I cant track it down what do I do? They still refuse to release my transcripts

override367 on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Well this is going to have to court, I finally have a bunch of free time since I'm off until probably the second week in July, and after spending a few days playing phone tag I've come to the conclusion this is going to be impossible

Financially? Oh no

They cannot figure out who owns the debt. So DeVry has no idea who I owe money to but the hold is still on there

Haha, man. That's dumb as hell.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Actually, if they sold the debt to someone else am I even required to pay it (to get my transcripts)? Since someone else took it off Devry's books? It's not on my credit report and the original recipient of it is no longer in business.

override367 on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One would assume not.

• Options
    Well they seem to think so, but I'm not sure how they'd even know

This definitely feels like time to talk to an attorney

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Have you done the thing where you nicely ask for the person's supervisor over and over again until you get someone who can help? Might be worth a shot.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Debt markets are too strange and complex to summarize, but yes, you would still owe the money.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Have you done the thing where you nicely ask for the person's supervisor over and over again until you get someone who can help? Might be worth a shot.

Yes I have, that's how I got to this point. Everyone at that place is a fucking retard or inhuman monster near as I can figure from this odyssey. It was really difficult with the hours I was working but now I actually have time to deal with it
    Debt markets are too strange and complex to summarize, but yes, you would still owe the money.

So I owe DeVry and a collection agency money? This whole thing is confusing to me

I'm actually hoping I can find this collection agency, I've dealt with them in the past and as long as you're willing to pay they tend to be cooperative in reducing ancient debts (since they tend to purchase debts for something like 20 cents on the dollar). DeVry doesn't even know how much I owe them. Let that sink in. They have several figures they gave me but nobody seems to know the exact amount.

override367 on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If they sold the debt then they made the financial decision that they did not think they would ever be able to collect from you and charged it off. This is generally a bad thing w/r/to creditworthiness of the debtor. If they sold the charged off debt then whomever they sold it to has the right to collect (but DeVry cannot collect, however they can maintain that you essentially defaulted on the account since they charged it off). The debt collectors may or may not try to collect, but these assets (your debt) would likely be sold to another debt collector if the company imploded. Also there's all kinds of debtor-hostile regulations such that the onus is on the purported debtor to contest debts/collections as they are made aware of them. It's possibly DeVry doesn't have records for an account they charged off years ago.

Consult with an attorney, but I'm not sure what responsibility an institution like DeVry has to provide records of clients who are not in good standing. I'd work harder on the UW side as I think they'd want to work with someone who potentially will pay them over DeVry, who's likely to be hostile to dealing with someone who didn't pay them.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    They have to give up transcripts if you don't owe them money, however I may have to go to court to get them. If a collection agency holds the money, doing some more research, I have to pay them off otherwise DeVry doesn't have to do squat.

I've located the owner of the debt and someone from them is going to call me tomorrow. If I can get it negotiated down to like 25 cents on the dollar (getting something in writing to that effect, of course) and pay it, I'll be free and clear (of course I might have to take devry to court still to get the transcripts, but something in writing that the debt is paid for should be enough).

I'm just astounded at how bad DeVry's records are. What are they the finance sector?

override367 on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    In my current job we occasionally send delinquent accounts to debt collection. What happens for us is that if the debt collection company receives payment in full for an account then we get a monthly report telling us that whatever holds or other actions we may take to collect the debt no longer need to be taken.

I suspect they have a different agreement since they don't seem to even know how much you owe and whatnot, but I would suspect that if you make arrangements with the collection agency and instruct them to inform DeVry as well, you might have an inroads to getting your account unlocked for transcripts.

Maybe not, though, as well. *sigh* This has always been a "Lawyer Up" situation, it seems.

Good luck!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah I've been doing research all day, DeVry will release them on their own once they receive proof that I've paid the debt. It's something that I could easily settle in small claims if DeVry didn't play ball, but there's no reason they wouldn't.

override367 on
  • Options
    lost1lost1 Registered User new member
    Dude!! I am in the same fucking boat with this school. My debt is 5 years old. I transferred tons of credit and finished my degree in a year. My financial advisor stated to me A WEEK before graduation that I accumulated 8000 debt and I was there for only one year! I needed one classto complete my degree and I finally finished the ciurse at a community college. Then I decided to cjange my major bec honestly that DeVry degree wouldn't get me as far as a corner store unless you are already employed at a company. To make a long story short, I NEED my transcripts to apply to a professional program at another school. My hold was released for a little while then it was put back on. If I am not in school by the spring...im fucked. I spoke to the director of financial aid today, he was pretty cool and blown away when he saw the balance. I was given a number to someone in collections,and im praying that i dont have to file bankruptcy to get my transcripts. I have 500.00 to my name and a very very low paying job right now. I have been tirelessly looking for another high paying position but so far no luck. School is what I need to focus on. I am all cried out, eyes swollen Been through sooooo much and this is like rock bottom. I would love to know what happened with your case. Any success? Excuse typo, Im typing on my phone.

This discussion has been closed.