Final Fantasy XI: March 2007 Update (Holy fuck, Square listened! Square listened!)

24567

Posts

  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    As the newbie of the game, I got a few questions.
    Are there guilds? Rather, do guilds=Linkshells? if so, can we get a PA one going? I'd hate to get into the game without any friendly support.
    Are summoners worth shooting for? I'm thinking of going Summoner/WHM, but I'd like any input you guys could offer.
    EDIT: And what server should I roll?

    Well Linkshells are kinda like guilds except that you can have multiple LS. Linkshells are just chatrooms amongst certain amount of people. A SMN/WHM is a good combo and there will be some difficulty during some level gaps.

    The best way to start out wanting to do an advance job is to start as the sub job of your subjob. For example, the 3 most common subjobs are WHM NIN and WAR. So you would go:

    BLM to 18, get subjob then level WHM to 30-37, get smn and level smn to 60 then get whm up to 37 if you havent done so already. After that get smn up to 75.

    For the others of you who want to play this game and want to go Meele I suggest you do this path:

    Start as a monk in windurst and level up to 18 on ONLY Yagudos. There is a quest for yagudo necklaces which I suggest you do during this entire period. After you get your subjob, level to 18 WAR on only Yagudos and repeat. After that just party to 30 as WAR/MNK. After that you'll need to get NIN as well as go to Norg to get all the basic NIN spells. In order to do the quests you would need to boost up your fame which was done when you turned in your necklaces. After that level NIN to 37.

    Also since there was a linkshell on Lakshmi and I just happen to be on it, perhaps we should re-establish a LS there?

    mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

    Then I moved to Georgia.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yes, linkshells are guilds, though I suppose one of the bonuses in FFXI is that you can hold on to several shells to be part of several guilds. You can only have one equipped at a time, but it allows you to have shells for different reasons. Apparently this is useful at higher levels.

    As said above, 1-10 is cake. Its what I default to doing if I don't find a team within a set of time, level a different job to 10 and farm fire crystals for cash. Most classes can go to 11 alone, and to 13ish on crabs in La'theine in even a duo, all the better with the xp changes. Whatever you can do to cut out the valk time the better. This part is more vague because I did it a LONG time ago and could be wrong so someone correct me. At 17ish if you're a WHM or a BLM (or both) you can jump over to the Maze of Shakrimi or whatver in Tarongi Canyons for worms(I know I'm butchering the spellings here) and skip even more of valk. I think I did that to 21 or so but again, years ago so my memory is hazy, better to ask someone who's done this more recently.

    As for summoner, I never really read much about the class because it didn't interest me that much, but from what I heard there's easier ways to get your summons now, so that it's feasable to play a summoner without having a level 75 of another class having already earned them. Again, something someone else can fill you in on.
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Category:Avatars is a nice link, and there's links to the "Trial sized" quests for the ones that have it. One of the reasons that summoners never appealed to me was just watching people chaincast their avatars outside of sandy to skill up. Making sure skills you constantly use are kept up is bad enough, keeping up a skill you only use once a battle just seems like stabbing yourself in the eye. Maybe they made it easier. Dunno.

    I can't speak for other servers, my guy is on Carbuncle, it's where all the SE++ folks when back at the PC launch. But people around these parts are spread all over the place. Several iterations of the linkshell have happened on Carbuncle, not entirely sure one still exists, but I think Bri might be the only one still there so I can't imagine why he'd bother.

    Again about summoners, this might help you:
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=15;mid=1092674588861471843;page=1

    I think the difference between the "trial sized" quests besides level is that you have to do them as SMN, whereas you could beat the avatars as a different class at a higher level and take their summoning item as a reward. Last I heard the 20 ones were pretty tough and required a good amount of consumables for each, but what do I know? Someone else can help you out with that if the guide doesnt.

    changed the 20 summon faq, the other one was useless.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    To be honest, the Dunes is EASILY one of the best places to get exp in the game. You can get from 10-17 in the same amount of time it would take you to get 10k exp at 75, which is like the bare minimum for each pt at that level.

    It's just that, in the past, 99% of the population in the dunes was DUUR DUUR DUUR.....ad infinitum.

    Alot has changed since then, and it is EXTREMLY rare to see over 5 people without a Sub. Which means they have at least a LITTLE experiance.

    And, since I'm in a helpful mood, job run downs.

    Basic Jobs:

    White Mage: You want a party? You got a party. Plain and simple. White mages will never, EVER be not used, by anything. Drawback? 1-11 is going to make you want to rip your penis off and eat it.

    Recommended subs are usually BLM, or Summoner, however, either of them is more then suitable to level to 75 with.

    Red Mage: The Ultimate utility class, with arguably the best ability/spell in the game, Convert and Refresh. They can Nuke, or they can heal/refresh. Personally, I would get into the habit of either switching of with either healing or nuking from 10-20, just so you get a feel. You CAN melee from 11-20, but, after that, it's pretty much worthless. However, from about level 40 on, you basically have infinite MP, sweetness.

    Recommended subs are Black Mage for Nuking, and White mage for healing. You'll be healing mostly, as the backup healer from about 25-39, and post 40 you'll find yourself being the primary healer alot. Black mage and Dark knight are utility subs, so, WHM is the only sub you REALLY need to worry about leveling. The rest can be done at your leisure.

    Summoner. I....uh...what? Third best healer, and, with a fairly recent patch, if your not main healing, you can Buff+Do damage. Overall a fairly decent job. They have RIDICULOUS amounts of MP, which makes them fairly good healers. You'll be doing a mix of healing/DD and buffing basically your entire career.

    Warrior: GOD DAMN FUCKING YAGUDO NECKLACES.

    Oh, it LOOKS like a basic job, on the surface, right? WRONG. This job REQUIRES Ninja if you want to get past 30. You don't have a choice, take it in the ass like a man.

    Now, this might seem a bit daunting, but really, it's awesome. There is no reason why you WOULDN'T want Ninja as a sub. Dual-Wielding brings all the boys to the yard. Just prepare yourself for maximum suckage 1-30 if you don't like MNK.

    Leveling Warriors are quite simple though, actually.

    Take Warrior to 18, get your sub.

    Take MNK to 18(Subbing warrior), and then switch back to warrior.

    Level Warrior to 30(or 37, subbing MNK), and switch to Ninja.

    Level Ninja to 37(Subbing Warrior).

    Level Warrior to 75(Subbing Ninja)

    Only problem is, Ninja is fucking expensive. However, I'm sure if you start out with a PA crew they can help you get the funds for that Utsusemi:Ichi ^^.

    Holy fuck that was alot. Look, if you need any more info on any of the jobs, just ask here :p.

    Transporter on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It drives me up the fucking wall that, despite SE's repeated nerfings, people still can't get over the fact that Ninjas are supposed to be a DD class, NOT a tanking class.

    9/10 of their abilities involve dealing damage in some way or form. Hell, their 2 hour is a suicide bomb.

    But oh no. Due to ONE stupid ability out of all the others, they think they're all super badass tanks because they can create shadow clones of themselves to absorb damage with.

    CUT THE NARUTO BULLSHIT, YOU FREAKIN' TARDS.

    Paladins are awesome tanks in a related note. <3

    Aand... I'm still updating. Left it on overnight two nights ago and my connection got interrupted. Instead, I left it updating when I left for class. I'll be gone all day so I'd might as well. This is why I like WoW's patches. They download faster when there's more people downloading them because of the Torrent-esque design. FFXI? Oh good lord no.

    OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh lord do I want to start playing this again. I haven't really played since WoW came out, and the prospect of playing a blue mage in an MMO is getting to me. If a couple people end up jumping back in on the same server, I might join up again. I don't really mind starting over, because I really enjoyed the first 30 levels back when I was a newbie, and I think I'd probably enjoy them again.

    SilentCoconut on
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2007
    Thank you, finally someone that understands that NIN are not tanks. Also if anyone is on Shiva drop me a line, in game name Draconious

    Casper on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not that I disagree with you or anything, but, I have to make a counter point.

    You will not see a Paladin tank ANY "God" level mob. With the exceptionof 1, I believe(And that's because it rapes shadows AND needs invincible to even tank it).

    Basically, Every single god level Boss can just about 2 Shot you, at any given time, no matter what class you are.

    That's why Nin's are basically still veiwed as a tanking class.

    That, and the fact that they drain so little of a healers MP, which means you can have more mana efficient fights.

    Ninja's basically ARE tanks, until SE gets the balls to buff Pally's and actually make Elemental Ninjitsus worth somthing.

    Transporter on
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2007
    My only problem is that the NIN I see do not equip themselves to do the tanking they are trying to do, they either need to equip good Evasion gear or Defensive gear and stop with the +attack if they are going to tank

    Casper on
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Casper wrote: »
    My only problem is that the NIN I see do not equip themselves to do the tanking they are trying to do, they either need to equip good Evasion gear or Defensive gear and stop with the +attack if they are going to tank

    No.

    Ninja tanking is all about eliminating damage taken all together, not reducing the amount taken per hit. That is Paladin's job.

    Ninja's need attack to do good damage to keep hate. That is one of the weaker points of Ninja tanks is that they have few hate-gaining resources. Provoke from war sub, Ninjutsu which from what I understand doesn't gain THAT much hate and you would have to use it near constantly, cutting down your damage.

    I didn't like the fact that NIN is used as a tank for a long time. I've come to accept it now. Besides without Ninja tanks the only other viable tank later on would be Paladin.

    The big problem is with everybody and their mom using it as a subjob for the reasons that a) Dual Wielding two weapons is better than a two hander, and b) their highest level shadow spell is available while subbed at endgame levels.

    If Two-handers were brought in line with dual wielding and Utusemi: Ni was raised a level it would fix things quite a bit with the /nin craze.

    DuskTwilight on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User
    edited March 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    It drives me up the fucking wall that, despite SE's repeated nerfings, people still can't get over the fact that Ninjas are supposed to be a DD class, NOT a tanking class.
    Casper wrote: »
    Thank you, finally someone that understands that NIN are not tanks. Also if anyone is on Shiva drop me a line, in game name Draconious
    Like it or not, Ninja, and Ninja secondaries, are tanks. It's often told that Ninja were originally meant to be damage dealers, with their unique slant being enfeebling Ninjitsu. However they were meant to be, the playerbase fast discovered that one of their spells, Utsusemi, and their high evasion/parrying, allowed them to outshine tanks that were supposed to stack defense. Despite the nerfings, Utsusemi is still the tanking tool of choice.

    The only effective nerf to Utsusemi (and believe me, I want to see Utsusemi beaten to death; Ninja should not be the end-all subjob for almost every job on the frontlines, providing both the best offensive and defensive bonuses [Dual Wield III and Utsusemi: Ni, respectively]) would be to improve monster AI.

    I play Ballista a fair bit (Player vs Player) as a DRG/BLU, and I consider Utsusemi balanced in Ballista because a smart player has so many tools to bypass it. Do they have Copy Images up? Use Battle Dance, Diaga, or any cheap AoE spell to strip them. That took all of two seconds to get around. Are they casting Utsusemi again? Jump on them, or use a Stun spell. Now they can't cast Utsusemi. Easy. Revel in their whining as you stab them to death while their chatlog fills up with "You cannot cast spells at this time" spam.

    Unfortunately, monsters aren't clever enough to strip Utsusemi, or use any of their skills to prevent attempted casts. Even if they have the ability to do so easily (most monsters do). For example, Goblin Leechers in Valkurm Dunes have Diaga, a 1.5 second cast time spell with 6 seconds recast. Diaga will strip all Copy Images in a wide AoE. As this is a spell, monsters can use this at any time. So, when a tank uses Utsusemi, the Goblin should just cast Diaga as soon as the shadows go up and stab some nubs. At present, the Goblin just puts on its spaz-hat and keeps missing. Same retarded AI that dictates monsters with curing abilities should only attempt to cure when they are so close to being dead there's no chance of the spell ever going off in time.

    While I don't believe there is anything preventing the developers from giving monster AI a total overhaul (surely it is as simple as adding some if:then events, like the current "If HP=Critical, then cast Cure," "If HP<20%, then allow access to Citadel Buster and gain TP Regen," or "If player behind me gets aggro, then use Spike Flail"), I don't think we'll ever see it. A shame, really, because the one thing this game needs more than anything is monsters that know how to use their movesets effectively.

    Mumblyfish on
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Is there any way to download just the PlayOnline viewer?

    I just want to see if my characters are still there, and my discs are fucked to hell.

    Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    Is there any way to download just the PlayOnline viewer?

    I just want to see if my characters are still there, and my discs are fucked to hell.

    I tried forever to find one when I quit the game last time. I had uninstalled the whole thing before I found out that you can't do any kind of account management online, just from that godforsaken PlayOnline viewer. I spent about two weeks searching for the discs, luckily found it a few days before getting billed again.

    There's a masochistic train of thought in my mind that is saying start playing again, yet at the same time I know I'll just get frustrated with it because none of my RL friends will ever play it and I'll just end up playing alone. Which sucks.

    meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If anyone wants to/needs to reroll, I'm on the Ashura server. Send me a friend request, my name is Varega. I'd appreciate anyone who'd be up for it, I'll be playing later today, pretty much from 5 PM EST on.

    Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Alright, I'll probably reactivate this, because I have a ton of extra time for it now. Are there still plenty of active people on Carbuncle, or is there another server I should head to?

    SilentCoconut on
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The OLD G&T shell was on Lakshmi and a few of us still play there regularly.

    If we could get a shell going again on there it'd be great. Had so much fun with the old one :)

    King Kong on
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Man I wouldn't play on Lakshmi even if I were being paid by the hour to do so. That place was weeabo world extreme.

    When I restarted way back and made my character I was saying to myself "Please not Lakshmi, please not Lakshmi."

    DuskTwilight on
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man I wouldn't play on Lakshmi even if I were being paid by the hour to do so. That place was weeabo world extreme.

    When I restarted way back and made my character I was saying to myself "Please not Lakshmi, please not Lakshmi."

    If you do checks of economies across multiple servers you'll find Lakshimi has one of the better ones available. Not to mention one of the more active online communities.

    King Kong on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I am on Carbuncle. Ormi is too, but I haven't seen him around lately.

    That is all of us, I think.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is making me want to reactivate my account. I currently have the 360 version but I would like to pick up the PC version. Is it worth switching?

    Lightor216 on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Lightor216 wrote: »
    This is making me want to reactivate my account. I currently have the 360 version but I would like to pick up the PC version. Is it worth switching?

    Get the PC version at your lessure. You can log into either of them with the same account.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am on Carbuncle. Ormi is too, but I haven't seen him around lately.

    That is all of us, I think.

    I'll be back, soon.

    Xhero on
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I decided to install it on the 360 and save the money. Haven't reactivated yet but will do one of these days. What server should I head to?

    Lightor216 on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xhero wrote: »
    I am on Carbuncle. Ormi is too, but I haven't seen him around lately.

    That is all of us, I think.

    I'll be back, soon.

    I thought you were on Lakshimi?

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Okay guys, I have my manual here from way back. I guess when I bought this the only expansion was Rise of the Zilart. So all my registration codes are in the back and it looks like I wrote down my playonline ID and password.

    Problem: No CD's. I'm sure they're around here somewhere but they're probably scratched to the point of no return.

    Even if I did find them, can I reactivate my account with the info I have? It's been at least 6 months since I last played.

    I noticed there's this "Vana'diel Collection" out now that has all the expansions (Zilart, Promathia, and Aht Urgan) for $30. I'd also get the first month free which I wouldn't if I reactivated (which I'm not even sure I can do). So that's like $15 for all the expansions.

    I should just buy Vana'diel Collection and forget about my old account right? I think I had a level 17 warrior planning on going ninja or something. Not really a big deal starting over.

    meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meatflower, I'd see if you could find some cds first. I've been playing (approx. 10 hours since friday) and I'm only level 7 with my character. The time invested would be worth trying to reactivate. However, if you can't find them, you might as well start over if you're looking to get some MMO fix in.
    And start on Asura, good people there.

    Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Varega wrote: »
    Meatflower, I'd see if you could find some cds first. I've been playing (approx. 10 hours since friday) and I'm only level 7 with my character. The time invested would be worth trying to reactivate. However, if you can't find them, you might as well start over if you're looking to get some MMO fix in.
    And start on Asura, good people there.

    Well that level is an estimate, I know I had just gotten to Valkrum(sp) Dunes. I kind of realized I didn't want to do strict melee once I started grouping so I'd probably start a new character even if I did reactivate.

    I'll keep Asura in mind, can't you not pick your server though?

    meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno; if you only have a level 17 and haven't gotten a subjob or chocobo license or anything, it might be worth it just to get the collection. If you're playing a decent amount and assuming you can get into a good valk team or two, 17 should only take a few days of playing. You'd just lose what gil and equipment you might have had.

    You'd also get CoP and AU which individually would cost you probably more than 30 bucks; though pretty much all of CoP is 50+ afaik but AU has some stuff in it for lower levels like BLU and PUP and chocobo raising and some equipment sets iirc.

    But it's up to you.

    EDIT: That was one of the big changes in this patch, letting you select your server. And if your guy isn't on the server you want to play on anyway...well you're not losing anything by getting a new account.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    Xhero wrote: »
    I am on Carbuncle. Ormi is too, but I haven't seen him around lately.

    That is all of us, I think.

    I'll be back, soon.

    I thought you were on Lakshimi?

    Never was, never will be. You saw me yourself on Carbuncle.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    Xhero wrote: »
    I am on Carbuncle. Ormi is too, but I haven't seen him around lately.

    That is all of us, I think.

    I'll be back, soon.

    I thought you were on Lakshimi?

    Never was, never will be. You saw me yourself on Carbuncle.

    not you, xhero. I might have him mixed up with someone else.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    P.S. Good lord, another reason to get the Collection is a DVD instead of a dozen freaking CD's.

    Annoying as hell.

    If I get back into the game I will probably get the collection for the dvd and AU and just keep the other account numbers for whatever.

    After checking my "allowance" bank account, I'm broke'd right now. :(

    Being married means not being able to spend all your money on video games every month when your wife isn't a gamer. :P

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    P.S. Good lord, another reason to get the Collection is a DVD instead of a dozen freaking CD's.

    Annoying as hell.

    If I get back into the game I will probably get the collection for the dvd and AU and just keep the other account numbers for whatever.

    After checking my "allowance" bank account, I'm broke'd right now. :(

    Being married means not being able to spend all your money on video games every month when your wife isn't a gamer. :P

    You need to find a game she will enjoy so as to fix that problem.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, we tried WoW, and she has an account but we play rarely. Partly because of busy life, partly because she's not really into it. She tries because she knows games are big for me, but she'd far rather be playing yahtzee or something instead. Add in to the fact that I'm not really playing right now...

    I have a couple free passes for CoH and that's considerably simpler than most other MMO's so I thought maybe it'd go, but we haven't had a chance to try it together. Spring break is in a week, so I thought we could give it a go then.

    Oh the other hand, she loves Wii sports, and if we had the money to buy like Rayman or Wario Ware, maybe even SSX I think she'd like those too. My Wii had to get sent in to get fixed though, the graphics card fried. :( Don't leave your Wii on standby if WiiConnect24 is on. Apparenty there is some overheating issues with the WiFi card that effects the video card (I'm not the only one on the web with the problem). Should come back next week anyway.

    FFXI is definitely out for games she'd be interested in. I don't think the slower pace would bother her, but the timesink would. CoH and WoW to a lesser degree you can play for short amounts of time. FFXI you can't really.

    Oh well. I never expected her to get into games, the fact that she's trying is good enough for me.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh man, the fact that you can't just update the game without a content ID = lame as all hell. I just wanted to install it so that when I get around to resubscribing I could just play.

    :(

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Okay, I just got back from braving the line at Fry's (I got there as they closed so the line was about 20 minutes long).

    Unfortunately they only had the Vana'Diel collection from last year, so it has Rise of Zilart and Chains of Promathia only, no Aht Urgan. From my understanding though that's higher level content and if I'm still playing the game by then I'll be more than happy to buy it separately.

    Installing now, as previously mentioned by KingHand, DVD's are nice :D

    So I'm rolling on Asura I guess, unless someone can sway me otherwise. I realize not a lot of people play this here so I understand we don't really have a "PA server" but I'm gonna need a linkshell or something with good people to keep me into this.

    edit:

    I'm thinking of going Thief and picking up Corsair later? Am I setting myself up for a world of hurt? I'm trying to avoid doing warrior because that's what I did last time. Maybe monk...

    I'm currently getting most of my game info from FFXIclopedia (the FFXI wiki), are there any better resources?

    meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Just remember you get a support job at 18 and the extra job unlock quests are at 30.

    So you are going to need to level fighter or monk to at least level 9, and perhaps up to level 15. Not hard, you can do level 9 in all of a day if you keep at it. Then switch to Thief and level that up to 18 to activate your support job. While you are leveling thief to 30, you can take your time and get your support job up from level 9 to 15.

    Once you get thief to level 30, do the quests to get to Aht Urgan, and then the quest to unlock Corsair. If I recall correctly, there is no fighting involved, so get in good with a White Mage to sneak you past the dangerous places.

    By the time you are level 30, getting to Aht Urgan should be simple enough. Surviving in those areas will be much harder. While you are there though, to the first mission or two for that expansion to unlock the Mog Locker. The extra storage space is well worth it.

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    that's about the best there is. There's little that's not there and anything you can't find there a quick google will usually solve your problem.

    As far as thief is concerned, until you get subs, afaik WAR is the only suitable sub for THF, and from what I've been told don't bother with daggers till at least 30ish, prior to that swords are apparently better for THF. So, you could level WAR to 18 to sub, thf to 30 then get your other jobs like COR, but I know nothing about that class so I can't really tell you what is good for a sub. I can't handle getting a job to just 18 then doing the sub quest then starting over. I get to 20 with the sub at least to go to Jeuno and do the chocobo quest before starting over. If you want just level like thf to 10, which takes like a day, then do WAR to 20 going back to your town and subbing for 18-20. Seems silly for just two levels but it's infinitely easier to get a group when you have a sub so it's worth the time running IMO.

    Buuuuut, someone with more experence might help you more than me.

    EDIT: see bri's post above.

    EDIT2: you might be able to choose your sub when you do the quest, but I don't recall.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the info guys, doing the update thing now. I'll keep researching stuff while I wait.

    meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    that's about the best there is. There's little that's not there and anything you can't find there a quick google will usually solve your problem.

    As far as thief is concerned, until you get subs, afaik WAR is the only suitable sub for THF, and from what I've been told don't bother with daggers till at least 30ish, prior to that swords are apparently better for THF. So, you could level WAR to 18 to sub, thf to 30 then get your other jobs like COR, but I know nothing about that class so I can't really tell you what is good for a sub. I can't handle getting a job to just 18 then doing the sub quest then starting over. I get to 20 with the sub at least to go to Jeuno and do the chocobo quest before starting over. If you want just level like thf to 10, which takes like a day, then do WAR to 20 going back to your town and subbing for 18-20. Seems silly for just two levels but it's infinitely easier to get a group when you have a sub so it's worth the time running IMO.

    Buuuuut, someone with more experence might help you more than me.

    EDIT: see bri's post above.

    EDIT2: you might be able to choose your sub when you do the quest, but I don't recall.

    No, after you do the quest you still have to go back to your mog house to choose yoru sub.

    As for not bothering with daggers to 30... I don't care if you fight with swords in exp parties pre-30, but you had better work on your dagger skill. If a thief got to Yhoator Jungle and whipped out a dagger for the first time, I swear I would find a way to kill them myself, because they would be acomplishing jack and shit.

    Edit: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/index.php/Main_Page

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    good point.

    Didn't think about it, I usually have 6 different weapons on my WAR to try to keep them skilled up as much as possible while focusing on axes and 2h axes for dps because I like them; mainly so if I switch to another job to level they'll have that weapon maxed out for as long as I did it with WAR.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Hot damn, updating is taking forever.

    I don't think this thing is using the full potential of my connection (Normally get 500-800kbps). Only 12% done and 2 hours and 14 minutes to go.

    meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.