As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, May 28, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 4: Beyond Infinity

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Monday, May 28, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 4: Beyond Infinity

Ahh, the delightful nuggets of ridiculousness that come from court filing papers.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    FuutenFuuten Registered User new member
    No! Comments will foul up the site, because people will leave any rubbish on here, just like this!

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    And your fouling is the first, you must feel proud.

• Options
    LiensLiens Registered User new member
    I agree, comments are just asking for negativity and stupidity. I enjoyed not having to make a concious effort to avoid reading highly concentrated moronism.

• Options
    TarinTarin Registered User new member
    My screen is 1200px high and I have to scroll down to actually see below the 'sign in' button. Not much effort would go into ignoring any comments.

• Options
    J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    The two minutes of blackness at the end represent your soul.

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
  • Options
    Dorkmaster FlekDorkmaster Flek Registered User regular
    So if the original Marathon was basically a Mac clone of Doom, will the new one be a PS3 clone of Halo?

• Options
    ComelyComely Registered User new member
    The comments left in PA Report aren't so bad so I think we could be a bit more optimistic about this added feature to PATV

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    "Maybe they should've fired the executives who signed these deals (*bobby kotik*) oh wait..."

Could be held true for so many companies...most unfortunately.
    Why is it so hard finding good managers, yet they pay the shitty ones so much to keep them on board and fire the good employees who actually bring in the profits?

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm missing something up...Bungie has been rehashing Marathon (the entire Halo series?) for years now. What's the big excitement?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    So I can just type anything here...

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, the Marathon thing is interesting because Marathon was one of the few PC games, and one of the first FPSs, to include a detailed story that unfolded with gameplay. Before that, the FPS genre had a short bit of story to book end the beginning and end of the game, but little to nothing explaining the characters or their actions while playing the game.

However, the FPS genre has moved well beyond that issue, so the question is what can Bungie bring to a Marathon game that isn't just a rehash of Halo. Especially since they've been essentially rehashing Halo for years now with variations in gameplay mechanics. Personally I foresee the Marathon game having a larger story, less enhanced main character, and a tweaked gameplay that removes it from Halo. I wouldn't be opposed to them removing regenerating health.

@Ori_Klein
    Basically it's the managers perceiving that, because they have more managerial responsibility, that they should be paid more. It's not entirely a bad idea, but really becomes one when the pay gap between the guys who produce and the guys who manage becomes such an uncrossable gulf.
    Also, it's always difficult to fire managers. It's why Activisions recent actions really didn't surprise me in the least. If you want to fire someone in a management position, but have no reason to justify it, then companies either make something up or inflate an issue till it seems a big deal. If they can't produce an airtight reason for firing a manager, there's a good chance of them getting sued for wrongful termination or breaking contract.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    CrakesCrakes Registered User regular
    I thought I was going to get a secret treat at the end. But all I found was horrible, horrible introspection.

• Options
    GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    Sorry for the two minutes of black nothingness after the video. That should be fixed now!

• Options
    SamokoskeSamokoske Registered User regular
    @Ori Klein Corporations and big businesses find "idea men" to be cumbersome and medlesome. And with good reason. These big companies invest too much to gamble in innovatios. Its primarily a business, game publishing, and not enough to support R&D like a science project that could potwntially fail (which may cosy as much as any AAA title).

• Options
    WoolehSheepWoolehSheep Registered User new member
    Silly @GrahamS , your solutions do not work.

• Options
    alpha0924alpha0924 Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    @Dorkmaster Flek.
    What?

A) Marathon wasn't a Doom clone. Marathon was a significantly better game than Doom but was hindered by the fact that it was Mac only and nobody had a Mac in their home back then.

B) Even if Marathon were a Doom clone, your analogy makes no sense. "Because Bungie made an Id game clone, will the new Bungie game be a Bungie game clone?"

C) Halo was just Marathon updated for new hardware basically, so if you're an ignorant twit then yes, the new game will be a Halo clone since it will probably be similar to the original Marathon.

alpha0924 on
  • Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    OK, weird. So the comments on the video page are tied to the discussion thread in the forums. So posting in one causes it to appear in the other. This explains all the new discussion threads in the forums for older videos.

• Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    GrahamS wrote: »
    Sorry for the two minutes of black nothingness after the video. That should be fixed now!

It's not fixed yet.

And imagine if they release the new Marathon in some crazy scaled-down version for the Pipp!n.
    (Let the pants-changing commence.)

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    Maize5Maize5 Registered User new member
    I think I'm in love with Kathleen De Vere. I wish she'd go back to being a brunette, though.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Maize5 wrote: »
    I think I'm in love with Kathleen De Vere. I wish she'd go back to being a brunette, though.

That's not creepy at all.

On the point of Marathon, anyone know if it's available on steam?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    Maize5 wrote: »
    I wish she'd go back to being a brunette, though.

Every so often when I look in the mirror first thing in the morning, I scream and jump back because I'm not sure who the blonde lady is. It's the thrills like those that keep me going back to the hairdresser.

• Options
    GrimlakinGrimlakin Registered User regular
    Cool new episode. BTW dead air is still dead. Or is it some secret message encoded in the black?

Stop the conspiracy. Visit www.dhmo.org

Grimlakin
  • Options
    GerwichGerwich Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    On the point of Marathon, anyone know if it's available on steam?
    Better: they're all available for free.

Gerwich on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Grimlakin wrote: »
    Cool new episode. BTW dead air is still dead. Or is it some secret message encoded in the black?

Yes. It's part of the new Checkpoint ARG that they'll completely deny having started.

Don't believe them.

The Eyes have it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    amybdenumamybdenum Registered User regular
    That was great financial coverage, but will low cut shirts be covered in a future episode?

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Grimlakin wrote: »

If you play the black part backwards and slow it down by 666% you can hear Graham screaming, "Iä!Iä! C'Bungie Ftaghn!"

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So if the original Marathon was basically a Mac clone of Doom, will the new one be a PS3 clone of Halo?
    Calling Marathon a Mac clone of Doom is like calling Half-Life a clone of Quake II.

The storylines are not similar at all, Marathon had a much more available and in-depth story, and it was technologically more advanced than Doom (you could look up and down, for instance)

• Options
    Looking at the Wikipedia article for marathon, the thinking was closer to it being the Mac counterpart to Doom, which hadn't yet been ported to Macs.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    RaveBombRaveBomb Registered User regular
    4.6 million may have tried to connect to Diablo. Too bad that 4.5 million couldn't.

I'm off to pirate more music, steal software, and knock down little old ladies, then later I'm going to cover my self in Yak's blood, and lay in a pentagram, while reading some Marxist literature and praying to a heathen god.

tata
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I don't really know much about Marathon, so that isn't very exciting at all, especially compared to the horrible news of Bungie signing with Activision, which is terrible. And the Facebook integration is a terrible, terrible idea. I despise when game posts fill my Facebook feed on my phone, and it's a quick way to get ignored, blocked, or defriended.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    oh nice comment section finally :)

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    I started watching after you informed me of the fact it was a thing via your magic stream. The only problem I have right now with checkpoint is its infrequency and length.

P.S. Kathleen resembles the Monk from Diablo 3 and you should rub that in whenever possible.

• Options
    Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    CheckPoint happens once a week. I think that's about all the market can support.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Calling Marathon a Mac clone of Doom is like calling Half-Life a clone of Quake II.

The storylines are not similar at all, Marathon had a much more available and in-depth story, and it was technologically more advanced than Doom (you could look up and down, for instance)

I am amused to have lived in a time when this was a technological achievement.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    CheckPoint happens once a week. I think that's about all the market can support.

What do you mean by that? As in there would not be enough content to run on longer or funding wise?

How long does it take to produce, cut and ship an episode?

In any event you guys are doing a damn fine job of it.

• Options
    arleasarleas Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    Hmm Low cut shirts? After seeing Kathleen in Season 1 Ep 51 , I was ready to give her an "eckpoint".... two "eckpoints" even. And I, too, think she looked better as a brunette. Anyway, great show... this and Extra Credits is one of the few reasons I stop by Penny Arcade regularly. I mean, I can catch up on a week or two worth of PA comics easily.

BTW: eckpoints should totally be the new currency if you guys should ever decide to make your own country.

arleas on
  • Options
    StressedYetiStressedYeti Huh? Central OregonRegistered User new member
    Marathon?!
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    I started my PC gaming with...
    ... Lemmings....
    BUT then Marathon!
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

• Options
    BuckettBuckett Registered User new member
    As a GWLG member (Guy who love Graham), this was by far the hottest episode :D

• Options
    RaginRednecKRaginRednecK Registered User regular
    Durandal is Laughing.....