Options

new spooky thread... or IS IT???

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Bra-fucking-vo, thank you Metz. Did not go into that expecting as much.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Bra-fucking-vo, thank you Metz. Did not go into that expecting as much.

Right? Te imagery and pacing and atmosphere are all just brilliant. Grave Encounters is a treasure, and moreso because of the low expectations one is forced to have based on the formula and whatnot.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've listened to a great podcast where they play a game of Call of Cthulhu based around the premise of a bunch of douchebag Ghost Adventures guys finding a place that's actually sealing-in an eldrich horror which they accidentally set loose upon themselves.

RNR-"Bad Blood" part 1
    RNR-"Bad Blood" part 2

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a good horror movie to watch on netflix? I was thinkin antichrist since I haven't seen it, but I'm open to suggestions.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a good horror movie to watch on netflix? I was thinkin antichrist since I haven't seen it, but I'm open to suggestions.

An American Werewolf in London

• Options
    Ahahaha I know its not too creepy, but how have I NOT seen Army of Darkness before? That was great.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    i took out some dip from my fridge to enjoy some chips with, it was in a large glass bowl. i set it on the table and happily ate the snack with no problems. as my show finished i leaned back in my couch and suddenly- SMASH!

the bowl, full of delicious onion dip, had spontaneously exploded everywhere. there was dip and shards of glass all over my table, carpet, and feet. i just spent the last half hour vacuuming up the glass and then cleaning the mess up. it was likely because the bowl was cold and then i placed it on my not cold at all table, after a few minutes it just popped and scared the shit out of me.

this probably doesn't sound that scary but god damn did it make me jump at the time, my heart was racing

alt OP, actually scary:
    http://www.damninteresting.com/lucid-decapitation/#more-495

sounds like thermal epansion to me

that's why glassware should always be pyrex

• Options
    Pyrex ... The Ancient One? The Unbreakable Evil?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Ahahaha I know its not too creepy, but how have I NOT seen Army of Darkness before? That was great.

Dude, its amazing. Actually my favorite of the Evil Dead movies.

• Options
    Still have to see that/those (both, I guess).

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    oh no!!

it's a g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-ghooooooooooooooooost!!

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular

If it's on there, definitely REC.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    but not REC 2. and definitely not Quarantine.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    my house has big ass spiders

nothing better than losing sight of said big ass spiders on the brown carpet...

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The original Evil Dead is terrible and awesome and fucking weird and honestly kind of creepy

Hobnail on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

Quarantine is really the movie that's convinced me that nobody knows how to make fucking trailers anymore.

I think that you shouldn't show anything in the trailer that's not in the first act.

the trailer for Quarantine, and all of the posters and all of the promotional material showed not something from the 3rd act, not something from the last scene, but literally the last shot of the movie.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    This thread would be spookier if it weren't posted at three in the afternoon

<3

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

Yeah, REC 2 was pretty sub-par except for
    the scene at the end with the demon attic lady vomiting the parasite into Angela's mouth, because that really creeped me out for some reason.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    trying to find those mega 64 parodies of ghost hunting
    Zay wrote: »
    Maybe Ghosts?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    godzilladrunkasalordred.png

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Jesus I love that

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    you know what i don't even care

i love that spooky video game story, no matter how dumb it is

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I like it too

the only thing that really gets me down about it is the ghost girlfriend thing

• Options
    there are just too many quotable bits for it to be terrible

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    gonna go watch that grave encounters now

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    For some reason my appreciation of spooky media is tightly calendar-based. I always start playing spooky games and watching spooky movies in September, continuing right through to Halloween. Watching or playing horror stuff at other times of the year just feels like listening to Christmas carols in April.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    NerindilNerindil Registered User regular

Oh, man, I'm probably too late on this, but Antichrist is the most godawful piece of do-nothing artshit I have ever seen. It has no plot or characters and it DEMANDS that you take it seriously.

Ugh. Worst movie I have ever seen, and I saw Ghost Rider 2.

• Options
    I suppose I'll contribute, too. This one wound up as a creepypasta, but I first heard it around the campfire.
    A little girl is playing in her living room when she hears her mother call her. She puts her dolls down and makes her way to the kitchen, where she heard her mother. As she passes the hall closet, the door flys open an something pulls her in, one hand clamped over her mouth.

She starts to panic, but sees that it's her mother that grabbed her. Her mother leans in close and whispers:

"Be very quiet, honey. I heard it, too"

Old, sure, but it gets me every time.

• Options
    I had a dream last night where I was some big hairy monster, like a sasquatch or somethin, hunting down attractive teenagers in the woods and killing them horribly. It was sweet, but scary because it just felt so real and visceral.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Nerindil wrote: »
    I suppose I'll contribute, too. This one wound up as a creepypasta, but I first heard it around the campfire.
    A little girl is playing in her living room when she hears her mother call her. She puts her dolls down and makes her way to the kitchen, where she heard her mother. As she passes the hall closet, the door flys open an something pulls her in, one hand clamped over her mouth.

She starts to panic, but sees that it's her mother that grabbed her. Her mother leans in close and whispers:

I like

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options

This is pretty dang good

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Bit different sounding when you had Sunday school as a kid, though.

Story of Samuel has a similar situation.

There, it turned out to be the voice of God.

Admitted, sometimes getting the voice of God in those situations, the end result is worse than the alternatives, but it changes the game.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

That was good, man. Good enough for me to steal and post on a friend's Facebook wall!

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The Frighteners

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Ok, yeah, Grave Encounters was pretty damn good.

As for movie recommendations, in my opinion, the Paranormal Activity movies get better as the series goes on (quite contrary to horror convention). They really go balls out in 3. Again, my opinion, YMMV.

Also, I really dug Fourth Kind. Not perfect, but it shook me up.

Glad you guys liked the story! Here's another of my favorites from the Internet:
    I've been lying down for hours now. It's 5:35 AM and there's not much I can do. You know what the worst part about my situation is? I'm in the same room with my parents. They keep looking at me, and I can't help but look back and try not to cry or scream. Their eyes are focused on me and their mouths are wide open. There's the strong scent of blood and I feel paralyzed with fear.

Here's the ehting, the second i make any hint that I'm not asleep anymore, I'm completely fucked. I will die and there's nobody around to save me. I've been trying ot think of a way out but the only idea I have is to rush for the door and run outside the front door and scream for help, hoping my neighbors hear me. It's risky, but if i stay here, I'll surely die. He's waiting for me to wake up and see his masterpiece.

You're probably wondering what's going on, I get ahead of myself sometimes.

About three hours ago, I heard screaming from the other side of the hosue, I got up and went to check on the noise before realizing I had to use the restroom, instead of doing the smart thing and investigating, I used the bathroom first. I could've gotten myself killed right then from my stupid actions. But I actually did my business and took a peek outside the bathroom. There was blood on the carpet. I got very worried and ran back to my rom, hiding under my sheets like the pussy I was. I tried to convince myself to go back to sleep, that it was just some really vivid dream or soemthing.

But I heard the bathroom door open. Like the terrified child I was, I peeked from under my blankets to see what was going on. I could see something dragging my dead parents into the room. It was not human, I can tel you that. It was hairless, with no eyes and no clothing, it walked like a caveman, with its back slouched as it dragged my parents. But this thing was much smarter than any caveman. It was aware of what it was doing.

It propped my dad up on the edge of my bed, and made him face me. It then sat my mother down in the chair and positioned her towards me as well. It then started rubbing its hands upon the wall, staining them with blood and then drew a circle with the devil's pentagram on it. This thing had made what it probably would call a masterpiece. To finish it off, it scribbled a message onto the wal that I could not read in the darkness.

It then positioned itself under my bed, waiting to strike.

The scariest thing now, my eyes have adjusted to the darkness since then and I can read the message on the wall. I don't want to look at it, because it's terrifying to think about. But I feel I need to see, before I'm killed.

I pek at the creature's masterpiece.

"I know you're awake."

EDIT: Ugh, pardon the errors in this one. I just copypasted the first site I found with it on it.

Nerindil on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i liked the fourth kind, up until the end which was just dumb

the bits they did where they spliced in 'home footage' was a nice touch too. though i've had to convince people that is, in fact, just a movie.

• Options
    Yeah, I really like the whole "half found footage, half reenactment" angle they went with. It's an interesting narrative device that I'd like to see used again.

Some of the shots reminded me of the Ang Lee Hulk movie. I hated that movie, but the idea of showing the same scene from multiple angles at the same time was really cool. The side-by-side "real" and reenactment shots in Fourth Kind were a nice touch.

Speaking of, why aren't there more alien-themed horror films? The X-Files had some really scary moments, I'm surprised more people haven't gone for that.

Anywho, how about another story?
    !MESSAGE BEGINS
    We made a mistake. That is the simple, undeniable truth of the matter, however painful it might be. The flaw was not in our Observatories, for those machines were as perfect as we could make them, and they showed us only the unfiltered light of truth. The flaw was not in the Predictor, for it is a device of pure, infallible logic, turning raw data into meaningful information without the taint of emotion or bias. No, the flaw was within us, the Orchestrators of this disaster, the sentients who thought themselves beyond such failings. We are responsible.
    It began a short while ago, as these things are measured, less than 6^6 Deeli ago, though I suspect our systems of measure will mean very little by the time anyone receives this transmission. We detected faint radio signals from a blossoming intelligence 2^14 Deelis outward from the Galactic Core, as photons travel. At first crude and unstructured, these leaking broadcasts quickly grew in complexity and strength, as did the messages they carried. Through our Observatories we watched a world of strife and violence, populated by a barbaric race of short-lived, fast breeding vermin. They were brutal and uncultured things which stabbed and shot and burned each other with no regard for life or purpose. Even their concepts of Art spoke of conflict and pain. They divided themselves according to some bizarre cultural patterns and set their every industry to cause of death.
    They terrified us, but we were older and wiser and so very far away, so we did not fret. Then we watched them split the atom and breach the heavens within the breadth of one of their single, short generations, and we began to worry. When they began actively transmitting messages and greetings into space, we felt fear and horror. Their transmissions promised peace and camaraderie to any who were listening, but we had watched them for too long to buy into such transparent deceptions. They knew we were out here, and they were coming for us.
    The Orchestrators consulted the Predictor, and the output was dire. They would multiply and grow and flood out of their home system like some uncountable tide of Devourer worms, consuming all that lay in their path. It might take 6^8 Deelis, but they would destroy us if left unchecked. With aching carapaces we decided to act, and sealed our fate.
    The Gift of Mercy was 8^4 strides long with a mouth 2/4 that in diameter, filled with many 4^4 weights of machinery, fuel, and ballast. It would push itself up to 2/8th of light speed with its onboard fuel, and then begin to consume interstellar Primary Element 2/2 to feed its unlimited acceleration. It would be traveling at nearly light speed when it hit. They would never see it coming. Its launch was a day of mourning, celebration, and reflection. The horror of the act we had committed weighed heavily upon us all; the necessity of our crime did little to comfort us.
    The Gift had barely cleared the outer cometary halo when the mistake was realized, but it was too late. The Gift could not be caught, could not be recalled or diverted from its path. The architects and work crews, horrified at the awful power of the thing upon which they labored, had quietly self-terminated in droves, walking unshielded into radiation zones, neglecting proper null pressure safety or simple ceasing their nutrient consumption until their metabolic functions stopped. The appalling cost in lives had forced the Orchestrators to streamline the Gift’s design and construction. There had been no time for the design or implementation of anything beyond the simple, massive engines and the stabilizing systems.
    We could only watch in shame and horror as the light of genocide faded into infrared against the distant void.
    They grew, and they changed, in a handful of lifetimes they abolished war, abandoned their violent tendencies and turned themselves to the grand purposes of life and Art. We watched them remake first themselves, and then their world. Their frail, soft bodies gave way to gleaming metals and plastics, they unified their people through an omnipresent communications grid and produced Art of such power and emotion, the likes of which the Galaxy has never seen before, or again, because of us.
    They converted their home world into a paradise (by their standards) and many 10^6s of them poured out into the surrounding system with a rapidity and vigor that we could only envy. With bodies built to survive every environment from the day lit surface of their innermost world, to the atmosphere of their largest gas giant and the cold void in-between, they set out to sculpt their system into something beautiful. At first we thought them simple miners, stripping the rocky planets and moons for vital resources, but then we began to see the purpose to their constructions, the artworks carved into every surface, and traced across the system in glittering lights and dancing fusion trails. And still, our terrible Gift approached.
    They had less than 2^2 Deeli to see it, following so closely on the tail of its own light. In that time, oh so brief even by their fleeting lives, more than 10^10 sentients prepared for death. Lovers exchanged last words, separated by worlds and the tyranny of light speed. Their planet-side engineers worked frantically to build sufficient transmission infrastructure to upload the countless masses with the necessary neural modifications, while those above dumped lifetimes of music and literature from their databanks to make room for passengers. Those lacking the required hardware or the time to acquire it consigned themselves to death, lashed out in fear and pain, or simply went about their lives as best they could under the circumstances.
    The Gift arrived suddenly, the light of its impact visible in our skies, shining bright and cruel even to the un-augmented ocular receptor. We watched and we wept for our victims, dead so many Deelis before the light of their doom had even reached us. Many 6^4s of those who had been directly or even tangentially involved in the creation of the Gift sealed their spiracles with paste as a final penance for the small roles they had played in this atrocity. The light dimmed, the dust cleared, and our Observatories refocused upon the place where their shining blue world had once hung in the void, and found only dust and the pale gleam of an orphaned moon, wrapped in a thin, burning wisp of atmosphere that had once belonged to its parent.
    Radiation and relativistic shrapnel had wiped out much of the inner system, and continent sized chunks of molten rock carried screaming ghosts outward at interstellar escape velocities, damned to wander the great void for an eternity. The damage was apocalyptic, but not complete, from the shadows of the outer worlds, tiny points of light emerged, thousands of fusion trails of single ships and world ships and everything in between, many 10^6s of survivors in flesh and steel and memory banks, ready to rebuild. For a few moments we felt relief, even joy, and we were filled with the hope that their culture and Art would survive the terrible blow we had dealt them. Then came their message, tightly focused at OUR star, transmitted simultaneously by hundreds of their ships.
    “We know you are out there, and we are coming for you.”
    !MESSAGE ENDS

Not exactly a very scary monsterman story, but it always makes my skin crawl.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    watching grave encounters and that scene with the gardener is cracking me up

hope it doesnt get TOO scary though, i dont have much of a head for that kinda thing

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I generally avoid actually scary movies, finding myself gravitating more towards ridiculous gore or humorous parodies with splatter. But psychological horror done right ruins my sleep schedule for WEEKS.

Now to go read 'John Dies At The End' a few more times before the sequel hits in October.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
This discussion has been closed.