As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

300: Pure, unleaded awesome

1252627282931»

• Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    "at some point", but lets add in the king's mum for a grand ratio of 2:50-odd. and yes, objectification is teh bad, and Miller is a big fan of it. mind you, I don't really give a shit, I just felt like pointing out that the criticism isn't entirely unwarranted.

That bullshit some reviewers indulged in when digging for allegories to the Iraq war sure was, though. Those idiots could find an Iraq connection in Beauty and Beast if they tried hard enough :roll:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Wait a minute. So just showing what can be considered a rape is bad? This film is - if anything - rather politically correct whatwith the whole "queen rules Sparta as much as the king because he trusts her judgement"-nonsense. More naked titties and less talk is what you all should be complaining about you non-men. Yes, it can be considered rape but is it portrayed in a positive way? No. Faggots.

Tricky. I thought the movie was unrealistically pro-feminist in some ways. Spartan women were treated like cattle, pretty much. And then there were the Helots :? However, you could make an argument that it was fine with the sort of laid-back objectification that is actually misogynist - every single female shown on screen was topless at one point or another, including the extras in the persian king's tent, for instance, and there was only one speaking female part in the entire thing. The latter was mostly a function of the story, the former...not so much.

The whole Queen-subplot is just the moviemakers stroking the feminist PC-penis. As I remember it wasn't in the comic. The women got sixpacks, we got naked titties. It's all fair. Actually it's not even fair, the females (and boylovers) got the men in underwear too. Fuck that. They should've included at least three more pairs of titties for that.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kerbob97 wrote: »
    homophobic? there was one reference to the Athenians as lovers of boys, and actually not that negative. I think it was something to the effect that if the Athenian boy lovers stand up to Xerxes, we have to.
    There was no "lets go kill us some fags" or "man, Xerxes is a drag queen, let's kill him!" In actuality most homosexuals I know actually dug the film. "great Abfest" was one memorable quote. Well, that and "I wish Leonidas would impale me on his spear!" I laughed my ass off at that one.

I disagree there, this isn't a deep, layered movie with many meanings, its a one dimensional movie with one dimensional characters, and it was blatantly obvious the bad guy was a deviant and the good guys were all things "good and nice", Leonidas meets Xerxes being defiant, all macho guy, while Xerxes gets all "touchy" and lascivious, furthering the stereotypes, and this is a movie of stereotypes, the didn't need at all to say outloud "lets kill the drag", it was pretty obvious thats what they were thinking.

The whole thing was enforced in my eyes by the gratitious sex scene of the king and queen in contrast with the tent of freaks of Xerxes, they threw in lesbians and naked women to get from the target demographic a chuckle, but theres amputees and then the disfigured hunchback guy, its meant to show that the whole thing was just sick. I'm sad other gay people couldn't see past the abs, but that particular focus of the movie turned me off.

mantidor on