As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon's Dogma] - Please post in new thread

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Well, they're just recolors of wolves and harpies, sadly. But yeah, they're there.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Post-game.
    Defeat Ser Berne.

Jesus Christ. Why didn't they send this guy against the dragon?

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    my pawn, now named Lezard, has been updated and re-equipped a bit

been trying to find a spell loadout that makes him act slightly less derpy (High Exequy was a bad, bad idea)

He is also pretty awesome and terrifyingly powerful

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Is Exequy worthwhile at all?

I looked at it, noticed "instant death spell" and decided it must be a trap

Is it?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    Is Exequy worthwhile at all?

I looked at it, noticed "instant death spell" and decided it must be a trap

Is it?

I heard it was good against Golems, and I hate fighting Golems, so I decided to give it a try.

But then my pawn decided that was his new bread and butter spell and he should try to use it on everything, and it was just a tragedy.

• Options
    Exequy is one of those spells that I imagine would be great if you were casting it, since you can charge it while the enemy doesn't even know you're there.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Yeah, when I get around to doing a Mage->Sorcerer play through, I'll probably give it another try.

But it's just not something you can trust the pawn to use correctly, almost every time my pawn has tried to use it he'd be better off casting High Brontide or High Glicel and just annihilating everything that way.

Literally the only thing I wanted it for was Golems, who mages are terrible at damaging.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried out that "instant kill arrow" for 300k gold?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    ok all you guys on xbox,

Im about to do a friend bomb so I can see yalls pawns and you can see mine. ThatBEN is me. (I'll also say Im from PA, but still letting ya know)

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Has anyone tried out that "instant kill arrow" for 300k gold?

Supposedly it can kill any enemy in one shot save for specific bosses, such as the Dragon, Ur-Dragon, and the post-game final boss.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    @Magic_Pink I...don't know how to tell you this, but...Chuz may return to you a bit stoned. Hopefully he keeps all the crap he learned while we were out.

Like "run away from a cockatrice when it tries to petrify you"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that I'm playing my assassin as daggers bow?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    It's only wrong if you're not having fun because everything dies too quickly.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Assassin is beyond ridiculous. I don't know why I bothered with warrior when I have "snipe every enemy to death before they even know what happened" the class. Most of the damage output, especially with fighter sword skills and with a gigantic amount of versatility.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I have a few questions regarding vocations.

1) My main is a Ranger, having levelled up from a Strider. The tenfold shot attack is awesome, but it wrecks his stamina; is it worth bouncing into another vocation for a few levels to get that up?

2) My pawn, Jocelin, is a sword & board fighter with a flaming sword and a quest-reward shield, with a lot of shield-based attacks. I worry that now she's at (or near) the maximum fighter level that I'm wasting her potential. Is it worth moving her into Warrior for a while, losing the specific attacks she's built up?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

1) My main is a Ranger, having levelled up from a Strider. The tenfold shot attack is awesome, but it wrecks his stamina; is it worth bouncing into another vocation for a few levels to get that up?

2) My pawn, Jocelin, is a sword & board fighter with a flaming sword and a quest-reward shield, with a lot of shield-based attacks. I worry that now she's at (or near) the maximum fighter level that I'm wasting her potential. Is it worth moving her into Warrior for a while, losing the specific attacks she's built up?
    Rangers have the highest Stamina Growth, actually. 30 per level.

Can't help you with the second one, as I know nothing about the Fighter/Warrior vocations. Maybe take a look here and see if there are any Augments you want?

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Ranger is the class that gains the most Stamina per level-up. However you could go into other classes to grab stamina-specific augments. Here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AlW0aqZ2hkx1dGlmZzFfRTRlak8wUGNGRTVkeE0xWFE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=14

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I just put my dragonforged direwolf pelt cape on Maya to balance out her resistances. Tearing that thing off my dude was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I mean, she looks awesome now, I guess, but at what price?

At what price?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm not really that into shooting things at ranged or I'd probably quite like assassin.

I like to run at them and introduce them to my friend mr stabby/smashy/shieldy. It's just the sort of thing I like to do.

The only action game I truly enjoyed shooting things with, ever, was Vanquish.

But we will see. I suspect I will like it about as much as Monger liked Warrior.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Monger wrote: »
    I just put my dragonforged direwolf pelt cape on Maya to balance out her resistances. Tearing that thing off my dude was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I mean, she looks awesome now, I guess, but at what price?

At what price?
    At the price of making Maya even more awesome.

I was gonna take her with me to kill a dragon, but the Geo Saurians kept one shotting her so I had to switch her out :(

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    I'm not really that into shooting things at ranged or I'd probably quite like assassin.

I like to run at them and introduce them to my friend mr stabby/smashy/shieldy. It's just the sort of thing I like to do.

But we will see. I suspect I will like it about as much as Monger liked Warrior.
    Assassins are all about climbing on things and stabbing them in the face.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blackjack wrote: »

I do like that a lot. I will probably like half of assassin then.

Regardless I'm planning to take about 20 character levels of it to boost my attack and stamina. So I'll know it inside and out.

Oh that reminds me. The warrior strength and the fighter strength augment stack. I dunno how, like if it counts it as +30% or it counts it as 20% of base then 10% of the result, but regardless, it went up.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

At what price?
    At the price of making Maya even more awesome.

I was gonna take her with me to kill a dragon, but the Geo Saurians kept one shotting her so I had to switch her out :(

I liked how she fell off a cliff to her doom, so I had to retrieve her only for her to comment about how embarrassing it was. Quite appropriate I feel.

• Options

I do like that a lot. I will probably like half of assassin then.

Regardless I'm planning to take about 20 character levels of it to boost my attack and stamina. So I'll know it inside and out.
    You could like all of it! They can use shields, too.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited May 2012
    My pawn got thumped by a giant rolling rock in the face, straight off a cliff side. As she flew through the air she shouted "TIS BUT A SCRATCH" and then died when she hit the ground.

I tried to jump down and res her by sliding down the cliff face but I ended up face planting right next to her, fortunately it didn't hurt that much.

A really funny thing Hrist did in soulflayer canyon. She loves standing way too close to the edges of cliffs. More than any other pawn for some reason. I took the ladder down right at the start. She face plants on the ledge beside me.
    After that I took careful note of where she was at all times, frequently picking her up when she was too close for comfort. She would do stuff like leap over a log to the cliff edge, and I would respond by grabbing her immediately.
    Once she pinned a harpy on the ground halfway off the cliff, shouting NOW KILL IT NOW. Instead I picked her up and the harpy immediately fell into the abyss. If I'd killed it she would have been the one to fall. I had to pick her up from dangerous areas about six or seven times. Hrist has a reckless streak a mile long.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    One time my Pawn did that cool jump back and pewpew thing that mages do

except he was at the edge of a cliff at the time

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

Or you can equip a shield and play it like a fighter with stupid high attack growth. Or anything. Because they do everything.

• Options
    Truly the best class.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Ranger is the class that gains the most Stamina per level-up. However you could go into other classes to grab stamina-specific augments. Here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AlW0aqZ2hkx1dGlmZzFfRTRlak8wUGNGRTVkeE0xWFE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=14

Cool, thanks.

I tried a team which focussed on the offensive last night, and found that I wasn't that hampered by a lack of healing. I've got flame daggers, Jocelin has a flame sword, and the Sorcerer and Warrior pawns had awesome moves. I loaded Jocelin up with 80 Potent Greenwich and went to town on a horde of goblins and three cyclopses. Barely made a dent in the resources, really, when you take into account all of the things you can find during the missions.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options

Or you can equip a shield and play it like a fighter with stupid high attack growth. Or anything. Because they do everything.

Nuh uh. No arc of deliverance. Not everything.

• Options
    Between Arc of Deliverance's charge time and the Assassin clinging to a weakpoint doing Hundred Kisses/Dire Gouge, the damage is pretty comparable, really.

camo_sig2.png

• Options

Nuh uh. No arc of deliverance. Not everything.

Assassin easily out damages arc of deliverance, without the wind up time and you can shoot enemies down out of the sky at the simple press of a button. Plus assassins are the only class that doesn't fear nightime if you take in the augments, so you can grind the shit out of nighttime enemies with it.

I love assassin, it has all of the power and incredible versatility.

• Options
    Plus, if you use daggers, assassins have a double jump and that's just cool.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I actually like everything about arc of deliverance. The windup, which builds delicious anticipation. The slow walk of patience, the premeditation of getting into position for maximum pain. The release, which turns off sound because the impact is just too great. The result.
    It is beautiful.

It's a deal breaker. I fully admit it is a personal thing.

Plus I intend to steal the good augments and put em on my warrior. :P How else do you think I'm going to one shot a drake? They're part of the grand plan.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    If any of you dudes use my supporty mage (rosa), let me know how she is. She is pretty low-level atm though so prob not usable for a lot of you guys.

@mynameisguido

I went ahead and grabbed her. Poor girl. I'm a few levels higher than her and decided to (try to) take on some ogres; it did not go so well.

• Options
    Majestic GoatMajestic Goat Registered User regular
    Achire wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    So question about Soulflayer Canyon.
    When I went in there the first time, I had no quests or anything, but there was some sort of cutscene that showed what looked like a small/baby undead dragon who was sinking in the water. I ended up leaving because the route I took send me to the eastern backdoor. I just recently came back and can;t find anything special about the place as far as quests go, and I certainly can't find that undead dragon or whatever it was. What's the dealio?
    There 's a quest you receive from one of the chamberlain at night ask you to return a letter from Soulflayer Canyon. And another one on message boards to get ten letters from same place.
    There 's also a Cockatrice once you have met one after a event.
    I took out the cockatrice, and I actually found the letters and ten (I think) parcels from there, but so far no quest for that. I'll look around at night and see if anyone offers it. Thanks =)
    You have to look for that chamberlain in day time and he will tell you to meet him at night to give you the quest
    One fun thing about this quest is that you can actually forge the letter, and get a reward from both parties.
    Holy crap why didn't I do that, must be stupid or my Arisen is just too honest :(

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Achire wrote: »
    So question about Soulflayer Canyon.
    When I went in there the first time, I had no quests or anything, but there was some sort of cutscene that showed what looked like a small/baby undead dragon who was sinking in the water. I ended up leaving because the route I took send me to the eastern backdoor. I just recently came back and can;t find anything special about the place as far as quests go, and I certainly can't find that undead dragon or whatever it was. What's the dealio?
    There 's a quest you receive from one of the chamberlain at night ask you to return a letter from Soulflayer Canyon. And another one on message boards to get ten letters from same place.
    There 's also a Cockatrice once you have met one after a event.
    I took out the cockatrice, and I actually found the letters and ten (I think) parcels from there, but so far no quest for that. I'll look around at night and see if anyone offers it. Thanks =)
    You have to look for that chamberlain in day time and he will tell you to meet him at night to give you the quest
    One fun thing about this quest is that you can actually forge the letter, and get a reward from both parties.
    Holy crap why didn't I do that, must be stupid or my Arisen is just too honest :(
    It's hilarious because the noble mentions that the seal is unbroken so the contents of the letter remain secret. Sure. Only me, the corrupt guard, the black cat proprietor and everyone he has a drink with know. Totally secret!

The abyssal set has such nice stats when dragonforged but it is so very ugly. I need to find some good but not ugly equipment.

Achire on
  • Options
    Majestic GoatMajestic Goat Registered User regular
    The post-dragon era feels so much like Nier. It almost made me think it's a Cavia game, or they hired people from Cavia to design it.
    Only if I can find some hatred for children in game then I can confirm that the theory is true.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    My pawn got thumped by a giant rolling rock in the face, straight off a cliff side. As she flew through the air she shouted "TIS BUT A SCRATCH" and then died when she hit the ground.

I tried to jump down and res her by sliding down the cliff face but I ended up face planting right next to her, fortunately it didn't hurt that much.

A really funny thing Hrist did in soulflayer canyon. She loves standing way too close to the edges of cliffs. More than any other pawn for some reason. I took the ladder down right at the start. She face plants on the ledge beside me.
    After that I took careful note of where she was at all times, frequently picking her up when she was too close for comfort. She would do stuff like leap over a log to the cliff edge, and I would respond by grabbing her immediately.
    Once she pinned a harpy on the ground halfway off the cliff, shouting NOW KILL IT NOW. Instead I picked her up and the harpy immediately fell into the abyss. If I'd killed it she would have been the one to fall. I had to pick her up from dangerous areas about six or seven times. Hrist has a reckless streak a mile long.

Hahahahaha. She's extremly aggressive yes. And she loves grounding and beating the shit out of all Harpy types for some reason.

I still love how she climbs up an unaromed Cyclops's face and slashes it in the eye with a heavy greatsword attack.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I was thinking of switching out of my Magick Archer for a bit and going Ranger and/or Assassin for a little bit. Will the dagger skills synergize at all? Would it hamper my character growth? I know magic bow and regular now do not mix, but thought daggers would synergize somewhat(maybe not the casting-spells through daggers part, admittedly).

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
This discussion has been closed.