As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mixed Martial Media: The Assassination Of UFC 151 By The Coward Jon Jones

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    This French Judoka is not a fan of MMA: http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8663:french-olympian-judo-god-teddy-riner-says-mma-has-no-moral-values&catid=34:organizations

Rick Story vs. Demian Maia happening at UFC 153: http://ht.ly/cDQFO

Quick little Hendo interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ST1ac_OwRA0

A nice list of historical MMA figures that you should know if you don't: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1277344-10-historical-mma-figures-you-need-to-know

Sweet promo for Shogun. Though, I'm wondering how they would make a similar one for Vera? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pz49Fg1j0Y&feature=player_embedded

Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani)
    7/30/12 9:12 PM
    Just about to board my flight to LA but I can confirm that @jonfitchdotnet and @ErickSilvaMMA have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 153.

USA! USA! USA! :

Jussier da Silva signed by the UFC, expected to face John Dodson at UFC on FX 5: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/30/3204822/report-jussier-da-silva-debuts-against-john-dodson-at-ufc-on-fx-5?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Also, Tito Ortiz is on the latest Joe Rogan Experience, if you folks are interested.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Hendo. Will. KO. Bones. Period.

Hendo is more than a big right hand!

Jones has been very dangerous in the clinch, but that is Dan's specialty. If he really trains clinch work a lot he could frustrate Jones there. Dan has huge KO power but he needs to set it up with other tools.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I just see Dan getting ragdolled if he gets into a clinch situation with Jones. Dan is tough and strong, obviously, but Jones has a huge power and leverage advantage in that position. Dan's best chance it to get in quickly and land bombs and I'm really not sure how many chances he'll get at that due to Jones' length and propensity to not be hit by his opponents. In a pure striking game, Jones is better. In Greco-style clinch wrestling, Jones is better. In ground grappling, Jones is better. The only real advantage I see for Dan is pure KO power. That being said, I don't see Dan really getting a chance to use that advantage.

Just remember how the Hendo/Silva match went. I'm pretty sure that's basically how this one goes.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hendo's style of pushing straight in and sending looping heavy shots is just a terrible matchup against a dude who's got stretch armstrong arms. And he won't even be outsizing him. Hendo's definitely got a striker's chance, but that gameplan seems to depend more on Jones not paying attention and getting caught with one big hit.

I'll be rooting for him, but I sure as hell won't be betting on him

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
  • Options
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    going to attempt listening to tito ortiz talk to joe rogan for hours

wish me luck

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    I just see Dan getting ragdolled if he gets into a clinch situation with Jones. Dan is tough and strong, obviously, but Jones has a huge power and leverage advantage in that position. Dan's best chance it to get in quickly and land bombs and I'm really not sure how many chances he'll get at that due to Jones' length and propensity to not be hit by his opponents. In a pure striking game, Jones is better. In Greco-style clinch wrestling, Jones is better. In ground grappling, Jones is better. The only real advantage I see for Dan is pure KO power. That being said, I don't see Dan really getting a chance to use that advantage.

Just remember how the Hendo/Silva match went. I'm pretty sure that's basically how this one goes.

Nah Jones is going to crawl forward and get up right into the H-bomb.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    B:L wrote: »

Nah Jones is going to crawl forward and get up right into the H-bomb.

Jones has a 13.5" reach advantage over Henderson

• Options
    and that doesn't even take kicks into consideration

• Options
    815165 wrote: »
    and that doesn't even take kicks into consideration
    What doesn't take kicks into consideration?

Hendo can figure out a way to close that 6.75 inch reach advantage by catching Jones off guard.

• Options
    Because if there's one thing Jones won't be expecting...

It'll be a looping overhand right.

(god I'm going to hate watching Hendo lose to jones)

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/7axgMMnwV1I

I can't possibly love Rhonda Rousey more then I do already.

Wait, if she breaks Cyborg's arm, that would add even more. I'd track her down and be that weirdo that proposes and gets his ass kicked.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Rousey is definitely awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA12qAz2E80

Also I guess she was on TMZ recently, telling funny stories about the olympics and what it feels like to break someone's arm
    Most of her good quotes are played in the first 2 minutes or so, so if you watch that you don't have to hate yourself for watching an entire episode of TMZ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYeB9yViPVY

• Options
  • Options
    I can't possibly love Rhonda Rousey more then I do already.
    That interview actually made me lose respect for Rousey. The whole "no one uses that martial art in MMA!" argument could have been applied to karate before Machida showed up.

BTW here's the full interview where she mentions being misquoted out of context often... just like in the editted video you linked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvZkKJ26JM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONvTzMcFUAs

• Options
    Anderson Silva's co-manager Jorge Guimaraes talks Lyoto and Silva:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BJ4zTAvtkck

MMA Facts (@FactsMMA)
    8/1/12 8:11 PM
    #mmaNews This Saturday will be the first time the UFC uses a "ref cam". It will be on their shirt providing their view.

(PRIDE NEVER DIE. URRRGGGHHHH!!!!!)

Interview with Javier Mendez. Talks about Mike Swick's return. Also responds to Josh Koscheck saying he hopes AKA burns down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9N656R_9qQ&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    Rua, Machida, Swick and Davis combo is my bet for the weekend.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Did koscheck leave AKA?

• Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That interview actually made me lose respect for Rousey. The whole "no one uses that martial art in MMA!" argument could have been applied to karate before Machida showed up.

Nope. GSP has a karate base. Kyokushin, I think. Represented by the gi that he comes out in.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    i dunno how much karate shit we've seen gsp or liddell do in mma though

like, the only waxing i ever saw gsp do was when he rubbed vaseline all over himself

815165 on
  • Options
    815165 wrote: »
    i dunno how much karate shit we've seen gsp or liddell do in mma though

like, the only waxing i ever saw gsp do was when he rubbed vaseline all over himself

:^:

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Koscheck is a huge dick which is clear to anyone who has ever watched him do anything

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular

This kind of sucks because there was talk of Teddy Riner actually going to MMA. If you don't know him, he's dominant in Judo and he's like 6'8" 280 lbs. worth of freak athlete. He's also only 23...

• Options

This kind of sucks because there was talk of Teddy Riner actually going to MMA. If you don't know him, he's dominant in Judo and he's like 6'8" 280 lbs. worth of freak athlete. He's also only 23...
    Looking at the comments section of that article kinda proves his point. UFC fans are classless.

• Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    Exactly, it totally proves his point that All MMA fighters have no moral code because the fans don't agree with him on a website somewhere.

• Options
    Exactly, it totally proves his point that All MMA fighters have no moral code because the fans don't agree with him on a website somewhere.
    Yeah there's a lack of moral values amongst MMA fans, and the WWE style environment that the UFC nurtures doesn't help.

Or would you like to defend these comments as completely virtuous and noble:
    fuck you and your tatami mats asshole.

He's french, of course he does'nt like anything approximating actual combat..

(N-word) is 6,8 and 280 pounds lol da fuck

go eat some crapes fag

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The last guy spelled crepes wrong.

Although I'm surprised French people are good at combat sports as they are cheese eating surrender monkeys.

And fuck those Tatami mats, he's got to get in the cage like a man.

He does have a weird anti-MMA stance considering he's pretty good at a martial art. I know his has some stupid point scoring rules instead of being a real fight, but that doesn't mean they lack morals. Just that they have different ones.

• Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    I'm missing the part where everyone is there just for UFC stuff on MiddleEasy.
    I'm guessing baseball is also an Immoral sport based on my interactions at Yankees games with a Mets jersey on.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm guessing baseball is also an Immoral sport based on my interactions at Yankees games with a Mets jersey on.
    I disagree with him when he says the sport of MMA is immoral.

But the UFC breeds an immoral culture in its presentation and that affects the fans and athletes. On the management side, it seems to be all about the money, as Dana White lies through his teeth to promote fights and threatens/fires fighters when they don't sign over all their rights, plus the possible appearance of corruption. On the fighter end, we've seen fighters who only want to win fights through any means necessary through lay and pray Fitch and runaway Guida, fighters who absolutely mock their opponent in Anderson Silva vs Maia, fighters who celebrate when they break a limb like Steve Cantwell, and fighters who cheat with TRT, performance enhancing drugs and vaseline.

And I'm sure on the fan side you know about the just bleed guys, the dudebros wearing tapout shirts and those who put down fighters or anyone else who don't agree with thier fanaticism about the UFC.

B:L on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The limb breaking thing is the fault of the guy who won't tap as well, and while it probably shouldn't be celebrated, it probably does feel pretty badass to break a person's arm.

I say this as a person who broke their arm wrestling.

Magell on
  • Options

Well, baseball isn't immoral

But all yankees fans will burn in the eternal fires of hell

that's just a known fact

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Magell wrote: »
    The limb breaking thing is the fault of the guy who won't tap as well, and while it probably shouldn't be celebrated, it probably does feel pretty badass to break a person's arm.

it does! so does breaking a nose or jaw. i mean, it's also horrifying but it is very viscerally satisfying (for me, anyway).

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah there's a lack of moral values amongst MMA fans, and the WWE style environment that the UFC nurtures doesn't help.

go eat some crapes fag
    Take any major sport and you'll find comments like that for it

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    Neli wrote: »

go eat some crapes fag
    Are you new to sports in general? Take any major sport and you'll find comments like that for it

Don't bother trying to use your pitiful human logic on the beel

• Options
    Also for all you NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS here is your champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StzMOv_p0OY

vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    i could not like this man more

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    Also for all you NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS here is your champion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StzMOv_p0OY

one of. . .us?

steam_sig.png