As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mugen Souls - The Neptunia team makes a Moe-filled Disgaea parody (Out October 17th!)

2»

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Holy BALLS.

I'm AMAZED at how much I like this. I really was expecting more stupid titty borderline pedo crap but the systems all bumping around in here are crazy fun and the dialogue is actually cracking me up. The graphics are all pretty good too except for the overworld stuff which looks almost 20 FPS if even that. I imagine I'd like it even more if I had a vague idea of what MOE even means but I think I don't want to ever find that out.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    uyvfOQy.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I watched that review thing and that way he says Mew-gen the entire time made me kind of want to punch him through the internet.

Aside from that, might be picking this up tomorrow.

steam_sig.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Huh, this is out? My local game store didn't contact me about it... (not Gamestop).

Hmmm, oh well, only half interested in this anyway. Might pick it up when it drops in price.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Holy BALLS.

I'm AMAZED at how much I like this. I really was expecting more stupid titty borderline pedo crap but the systems all bumping around in here are crazy fun and the dialogue is actually cracking me up. The graphics are all pretty good too except for the overworld stuff which looks almost 20 FPS if even that. I imagine I'd like it even more if I had a vague idea of what MOE even means but I think I don't want to ever find that out.

Moe = "Cute" + "Fetishistic."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Moe

http://www.japanator.com/the-four-laws-of-moe-14072.phtml

There's a reason everyone's a little pissed that NISA expected us to know what Moe meant, but not what Tsundere meant.

Edit: Also, glad to hear you're enjoying it. The smattering of reviews giving it basically a 1 for being pedobait or somesuch tripe ("It's a video game but it's not appropriate for 8 year olds, SHAME!") had me a touch worried.

KiTA on
    I don't know what I think about the MOE Kill system; I'm pretty sure I hate it.

For those without the game, it;s very similar to the Persona Demon talk system. You can talk to enemies in this and try to get them to react one of two ways thereby filling up either their Peon reaction bar, turning them into servants, or their Item reaction bar, turning them into rare items. They react to you based on three things, what form Chou-Chou is in (she has seven, it's the game's "elemental" system: Ego, Terse, Hyper, Ditz, Graceful, Bipolar and Sexy I think?) and if their personality matches your they react much better, their mood at the time (I thinjk there are seven of these as well like Happy, Excited, Depressed, Fearful etc) and what communication choice you make out of three different random multiple choices. If you pick wrong then their Frenzy reaction bar raises and if that fills they effectively double in difficulty.

Sound stupid complex and too random? Yeah, I thought so too. It basically just seems that if you match Types then you always get a positive reaction and if you don't they'll always Frenzy.

Well, the good news is they didn't leave it on my porch to be stolen. The bad news is I won't get it until Monday. Don't think I can just go pick it up at UPS.

...my copy is still in the mail. So this 'guaranteed' three day shipping is going to wind up taking six days. I can understand skipping the weekend. But, it came out on the 17th...they 'started' shipping it on the 18th, then it apparently didn't actually move anywhere until the 19th.

uyvfOQy.png
    Finally awake enough to give this a try. There is already a little bit of DLC, the standard IF / CH "Pay for cheat code" stuff, only the first batches are free: G / Mugen Points for character creation and evolving (Mana from Disgaea games I believe is the direct comparison), G-Up Points (Same, but for the ship combat stuff), as well as a set of clothes for generic NPCs and a bundle of healing / hot springs (buff) items.

Hilariously I believe if you don't have the free DLC clothes for generic NPCs, your generic NPCs start off in Fundoshi and Sarashi (traditional Japanese underwear, typically associated with Samurai), but not sure on that.

edited October 2012
    Holy crap, the framerate. I thought my PS3 was breaking down for a second. It's particularly jarring as literally everything else is spot on, even the pseudo-lip syncing

Edit: The game starts off In Media Res, with the girls doing an Idolmaster parody whereupon a bunch of bunnies in cartoonish bondage rush the stage and fondle them. Then the cast so far go take a bath. Oh, and the heroine's default armor? "Old Panties."

Edit2: Oh god, the first upgraded armor? "Normal Bra." Please, please tell me that this game doesn't go with an underwear theme for it's gear the whole way up.

Edit3: And apparently the game has a bunch of different voices for the generic peon (characters) you can make... you can even select these in the menu. But they're all dummied out -- they do nothing if you have the game in English. Wouldn't have minded having the Japanese ones saying stuff if nothing else.

KiTA on
    Yes, armour does get past the underwear phase.

Oh, nifty, it still came with the soundtrack. I had forgotten, or maybe I wasn't sure if Newegg's version would still include it. I'll settle in with this after work.

uyvfOQy.png
    Not worth it's own thread quite yet, but noticed this today:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/23/first-details-about-monster-monpiece-compile-hearts-vita-card-game/
    http://www.compileheart.com/mon-mon/

So CompaHeart is making a Pokemon-esque card game called "Monster Monpiece" or "MonMon." The catch? They're all Kemonomimi (anime styled furry girls) and to catch them you have to use the Vita touch screen to strip them first.
    Yes, armour does get past the underwear phase.

Thank god for that. The game is enjoyable so far, although I just made my first Generic NPC Peon and then realized I need about 10 times the amount of fundage I have now to get her pants or a shirt. Grinding, hooo~!

Thank GOD for this. I'm sure in the raw japanese some of these tropes make more sense, but as it stands it's a complete brick wall.

So far, pretty fun. There certainly is way too much to absorb all at once, though. I see what the Siliconera review was talking about, there's tons of weird systems...but it seems like you could do fine by just attacking.

The field graphics are definitely a little...off. I'm sure I'll get used to it, though. The load times are kinda bad, even after installing.

uyvfOQy.png
    I just beat chapter two, and I'm not really sure about this game. The dialogue is okay, not nearly as funny as Neptunia. It just seems slower, with less random parodies to keep me amused. Lots of characters just standing around talking about what's going on, with a few jokes...and the characters aren't very wacky either, and some of the voices are...odd choices. The generic RPG hero sounds like he should be the main character of a shooter, instead of an anime character. Ryota's voice is also, for some reason, about twice as loud as everyone else's. So while I can barely hear some people, his constant shrieking is incredibly loud.

The combat is incredibly easy. So far I one shot almost every enemy, with a few taking two or three attacks. Which is easy enough when you have four characters. Most fights are over in one, maybe two rounds. I take 0-1 damage from all attacks. If I want to try to Moe Kill anything, when they happen to be the same 'element' as me, it takes a minimum of three rounds. Normally four or five, though. The large crystals take even longer.

The blasting/bouncing attacks don't seem to have much use. I spent one entire battle just trying to break a small crystal with 6 HP, and it took me about four turns of constantly bouncing it off the walls and other crystals to make it break. And that rewarded me with...prettymuch nothing.

Why make a point out of saying all worlds have three continents, and then only letting me explore two on the first planet, before making me move on to another planet?

The first boss did about 5 damage with attacks, and I think 20 with some special attacks. I just used normal attacks and easily beat him. And here's the really annoying part...
    The whole point of this adventure, so far, is to Moe Kill the Hero and Demon to take over the land. Yet you don't actually do that. You just hit the boss until it dies, then go to a cut scene where you make them your Peons. Why is the Moe Kill system here if I can't use it on anything but grunts that die in a few hits? Why send me on a quest to make these guys my Peon, give me a whole system devoted to doing that, then not let me use it on them?

I've laughed a few times, and the Ditz personality is actually pretty hilarious. My favorite so far. Some of the things they say during Moe Kills are pretty amusing. Unless the combat starts to really pick up, or the jokes start coming way faster, I don't think I'll be spending too much time with this one.

uyvfOQy.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So what is different between the Japanese version and the U.S. version?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    So what is different between the Japanese version and the U.S. version?

The Japanese version has a minigame where you run a mouse cursor over a manga drawing of one of the characters. As you do so soap bubbles vanish, revealing... the girls in a bikini. All the while the voice actresses make lewd noises. It's not unlike Otomedius's loading screens.

It literally had no relevance to the game (you couldn't win nor fail the minigame). They just dummied it out in the US.

In addition, apparently one of the personalities was toned down a little bit for the US version. I heard it was due to us not understanding the finer points between a Sadistic personality and a Terse personality, or somesuch, but not sure.

The generic peons you can make for your team also only have Japanese voices, they didn't record anything in English for them. Not that I saw any reason to ever use one, once you get more than three PCs.

uyvfOQy.png
    Maybe it will get better, like Neptunia. I haven't had the strength to return to Souls since that first week, though.

uyvfOQy.png