As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shin Megami Tensei IV [3DS] First Trailer! Messians! 3D! Ponytails!

124»

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    r7j4fr.png

Limited edition 3DS XL, getting a late May release with the game included.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    More SMTIV screens from Dengeki: http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/614/614484/

Amazing backgrounds:

vdtOcol.jpg

sDpFpDX.jpg

Also, new Soul Hackers trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M_pvbmw5oJI

Someone has to know who those first two voices belong to...

I think it's Six and a shopkeeper.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    81xPZtp9PzL.jpg

So yeah. July 16th is the rumor. Yay!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    good box

surprised the japanese is so prominent on the us cover

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I'm excited

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    good box

surprised the japanese is so prominent on the us cover

I'm glad they flipped the script. Wish they'd kept it for SJ, it's very iconic. Pretty sure it's on Nocturne's cover too, just less prominent.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Okay I've been seeing this mentioned on pretty much all the English-speaking forums I've been to and it's been bothering the shit out of me and this is the only place I actually bothered to register on with a Megaten thread so I'm just going to let it off my chest here.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THAT YHVH FROM 2 IS LUCIFER'S BIG NEMESIS?

Lucifer constantly says that his enemy is the "great will" (大いなる意思). Kagutsuchi says he was created by the Great Will. YHVH SAYS HIMSELF THAT HE TOO WAS CREATED BY THE GREAT WILL. The Great Will is clearly a separate entity. Lucifer explains the Amara universe as being created and controlled not by YHVH or the yuiitsushin or whatever but by, yes, the Great Will. Maybe a botched rubbish translation in one or more games caused people to get this wrong, I've only played the games in Japanese and it's pretty clearly stated.

Kagutsuchi:
    「…大いなる意思は、かって世界に自由を与えた。」
    Blah blah the Great Will gave the world freedom

Lucifer's aide explaining the Amara universe:
    「あなたの知らない何処かで、また幾万、幾億という世界が生まれ変わっている事でしょう。
    それが…大いなる意思の元にさだめられたアマラの摂理なのです。」
    Blah blah that is the rule of Amara determined by the Great Will

After you join Lucifer:
    「あなたこそが、長い連環を打ち破り、暗黒の天使とともに、大いなる存在をも打ち破ってくれるだろう、と期待してもはや引き返す事はできません」
    Blah everyone thinks it's you who will help the dark angel to defeat the Great Existence blah
    (Not to mention how this is after 2 so YHVH's kind of already defeated)

YHVH himself:
    宇宙の大いなる意志は何度でも我を生み出すであろう……」
    The Great Will of the universe will recreate me as many times as necessary as long as blah blah

Furthermore IIRC the explanation of the Amara universe in 3 says something that can be interpreted as each world having its own Kagutsuchi-like being in charge of it which probably refers to stuff like Babel and Polaris and Brahman and yes, YHVH.

So like yeah anyway YHVH isn't the Great Will.

Edit: Also people never seem to mention the Buddhism spin on things introduced in 3 even though it uses all those Indian terms from it and you know is about reincarnation and stuff. Lucifer's desire to break the cycle of reincarnation pretty much makes him Buddha.

Just saying.

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    You, uh, may want to translate that for those of us who aren't bilingual. Interesting though.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    There you go.

Totally unrelated but Suparobo (OG II and UX to be precise) has been putting a similar reincarnation spin on things lately, even using similar terms (kalpas and such).

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure that YHVH in Megaten 2 (not Shin) mentioned the Great Will as creating him too.

Edit: Well shit I just noticed that I'm posting in the wrong thread. Quoted myself over at the right one.

Weisskaiser on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I thought the great will was like a multiuniversal gestalt consciousness made of all the powerful lawful entities

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Nnnnooooooo as far as I know it's never really described beyond as being the creator and being in charge of the (Amara) universe and its endless cycle of reincarnation, and as being the creator of YHVH and Kagutsuchi, Lucifer's enemy.

I never did clear Strange Journey but if Lucifer's in there there's probably mention of the Great Will there too. Ought to go play it sometime.

Edit: And I just randomly googled some of this stuff in English to see what people are saying about it and hoooooly shit the Megami Tensei wiki contains stuff that openly contradicts what is clearly stated in the game. "It is strongly implied that stuff we made up that says the exact opposite of what the actual game says is true YHVH IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONCEPTION AND HE IS THE MULTIDIMENSIONAL KAGUTSUCHIS GREAT WILL WITH POWER LEVEL OVER 9000". Wow.

And whenever I complain about English wikis someone tells me to go edit it myself but the last time I tried doing something like that the territorial dicks who had been "working" (i.e. making up shit) on the article before me reverted all my edits, asked for evidence, claimed that anything in Japanese doesn't count even though the article was on a game that wasn't out in English yet because they didn't understand the language, and then called in some of their admin friends to threaten to ban me for vandalising the page.

But I'm going off on a tangent here, what I'm trying to say is don't trust anything on the Megami Tensei wiki. As a matter of fact I encountered those territorial "I wrote this article stop editing it, Japanese doesn't count, give me English sources for this game only available in Japanese" idiots there like 2-3 times before giving up on it entirely. Note that I didn't bother registering and so had my Japanese IP exposed and there were people going "the screenshots you posted could mean anything, I bet you don't even understand Japanese".

Weisskaiser on