As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, May 31, 2012 - Transmission

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Transmission

Transmission
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/transmission

What’s up with Donuts?

Anonymous

Editor’s Note: We received these stories at different times throughout the year from different people.

Story A:
The game was an FPS for a major system, a pre-release title that was supposed to define the platform. It was also intended to support 64-players, so they hired around eighty testers.

On the first day the game shat the bed; it became immediately clear that it wouldn’t get anywhere near sixty-four players. Over the next two weeks, management found reasons to gradually fire over thirty people. The rest of us got donuts.

Donuts became a signal.  When our recruiter showed up with donuts, someone got fired.  I had donuts at least once a week for the length of the project.  Because they were donuts, we all ate them.  They were like the pomegranates of Hades, too tasty to pass up.  And just like the pomegranates of Hades, they trapped us, the collective Persephone, in a six-month cycle of gut-wracking, nerve-grinding, whip-driven stress.

I avoid donuts now.  The smell of uncertainty.  They stink of fear.

And they carry the reek of a Vichy collaborator, eating pastries to the sound of tromping jackboots and the sobs of vanishing comrades.

Story B:
I am afraid of donuts because I worked as a tester.

Let me start at the beginning.

Most Grunt QA work for the Big 3 are actually done by staffing firms. The firm I worked for hired 80 or so people to test a launch title for one of the platforms. As the project continued, the staff diminished in size, and the hours increased, but that’s typical.  What was unique was the way in which people were removed from the testing pool.

The HR rep for our firm would come by every couple of days just to see how we were doing, make sure there weren’t any problems, and she would bring snacks. Candy bars, Jimmy Johns, etc.

The second weekend of the project she brought Krispy Kreme. Awesome, and after she left we noticed that all the real problem people were gone (the guy who played WoW, the guys who posted info about the game on official forums, etc.)

Two weeks pass, and again she arrives with Krispy Kreme. A few more people are winnowed from the pool.  Not bad guys, just… low bug counts. That’s okay, no problems there. 64 testers is plenty.

Multiplayer max gets reduced, and the Krispy Kreme comes again. As the donuts vanish, they take a fifth of our team with them. Oh, and the hours are longer this week.

Three weeks later.  More donuts. The single player group is being culled.  Instead of one tester per level it’s me and another guy on co-op, and two guys running single player. Longer hours.

Two weeks after that, more donuts. We don’t need so many on multiplayer. Work longer.

A month passes without donuts. Game is almost stable.

The following Friday.  We walk into the little break room and there are two boxes of Krispy Kreme.  Quiet whispers pass between the remaining testers. Nobody wants to eat them. Donuts cause job loss.

There she stands, nicest person in the world. She picks out one person at a time and walks them out of the room (just to talk about how things are going). They don’t come back. Now there are only twelve testers left.

Launch approaches.  The game MUST ship.  The game DOES ship.  We made it to the end.  We, the final twelve, have been assured that other projects await us within Microsoft.

We walk into the break room, it’s our final day before moving to a different building, a different project.  More work.  There’s a box of donuts on the table.

A dozen donuts.

One for each of us.

I wasn’t hungry.

Geth on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    P.S. Don't let him ever STOP

Donuts are now a little unsettling to me.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Garlic steak fries are so good.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm hearing that one song from the protomen album right before sons of fate.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Ah Halo testing, she is a magnificent bitch.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    the fries don't stop
    STOP

I like Red Robin because they are willing to cook their burgers medium.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Is this the first time that an explicit name of a company is mentioned? Granted, it's a ten year old game, but still.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I got no love for the ellipsis.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I just ate a donut!

And now I want to eat endless steak fries.

• Options
    omicron1omicron1 Registered User new member
    Can't be halo - WoW wasn't out and Halo 3 wasn't a launch title.
    All signs point to Perfect Dark Zero - a first-party launch title with 32-player multiplayer "at one point up to 50 players but the graphics just couldn't handle it." (-Wikipedia)

I think we have our subject.

• Options
    TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    Ah, Red Robin. The one thing that would cause Penny Arcade to stop is the opening of one near the offices. The fries, they're bottomless.

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    TheTinMan wrote: »
    Ah, Red Robin. The one thing that would cause Penny Arcade to stop is the opening of one near the offices. The fries, they're bottomless.
    I do believe they had a comic referencing just that.

Also: someone got named. Bomb was dropped.

Assuming the stories are indeed of same batch and not simply similar practices, were the defining titles for the Xbox not Halo and Gears of War?

Ori Klein on
  • Options
    Ori Klein wrote: »
    TheTinMan wrote: »
    I do believe they had a comic referencing just that.

Also: someone got named. Bomb was dropped.

Assuming the stories are indeed of same batch and not simply similar practices, were the defining titles for the Xbox not Halo and Gears of War?

As already mentioned, WoW didn't exist when Halo was in development.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    At first the stories horrified me then I realized that I would probably be healthier if I were somehow conditioned to fear/despise donuts.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Donuts are the primary reason I show up early on Fridays. Gotta be the one to snag the jelly donut.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Donuts are cheap and you can quickly go through the line to get back on the road.

So they easy for the person picking them up and people love them. Sounds like it is recruiting/HR that these guys should be scared of, not the treats they bring.

• Options
    Donuts are cheap and you can quickly go through the line to get back on the road.

So they easy for the person picking them up and people love them. Sounds like it is recruiting/HR that these guys should be scared of, not the treats they bring.

Really, no shit. :P The point/joke is that they now dislike donuts because they have negative associations for them. They don't actually believe that eating the donuts is itself some sort of trap or gets you fired. I don't think this is that complicated.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

Really, no shit. :P The point/joke is that they now dislike donuts because they have negative associations for them. They don't actually believe that eating the donuts is itself some sort of trap or gets you fired. I don't think this is that complicated.

Well yeah I understand that. But you don't get anywhere with unrational fears. The second story shows more strength in that the writer didn't eat the donuts because they knew they were about to be fired.

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Through careful re-reading of the posted stories and re-evaluation of known variables I've also concluded for the requested deduction being that the game in question is indeed Perfect Dark Zero.

I suppose a matrix of multiple equations versus multiple unknowns was indeed a useful solution after all. Thanks high school math teacher!

Ori Klein on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Well yeah I understand that. But you don't get anywhere with unrational fears. The second story shows more strength in that the writer didn't eat the donuts because they knew they were about to be fired.

Feh. "Strength." You're getting fired either way. Enjoy a last donut on the company dime.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Feh. "Strength." You're getting fired either way. Enjoy a lost donut on the company dime.

Seriously guys. You're missing this point. Free donuts.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Seriously guys. You're missing this point. Free donuts.

Now this is man that has his glass half full!

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    Ori Klein wrote: »
    Through careful re-reading of the posted stories and re-evaluation of known variables I've also concluded for the requested deduction being that the game in question is indeed Perfect Dark Zero.

I suppose a matrix of multiple equations versus multiple unknowns was indeed a useful solution after all. Thanks high school math teacher!
    Framling wrote: »

• Options
    ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    As a former Dev I never realised that the day the game ships could actually be a bad one. For me gold master day usually came at the end of a long haze of overwork and stress, with deferred holidays and too much junkfood and my family slowly forgetting who I am and including me in fewer and fewer shared events.

Then, magically, you hear that acceptance has been received! It's a weight off. The foreboding you used to feel as you shuffled to the Producer with a holiday request form is banished. He *smiles* now as he takes it off you and lets you know that, no, there will not be a problem. There will be a party. There may be a small bonus. There will be the relaxed hours and research of the new design cycle when you get back to the office after your break.

I know that the testers room was quiet but I guess I never really thought about what that meant...

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Some people in this thread really need to learn how to read stickies STOP

I already avoid sweets at work because every other day is someone's birthday (free cake) or some one had a lunch meeting (extra sandwiches in the break room) or a project deadline is looming (come get donuts down by X's desk). If I didn't avoid them, I would be packing 20-30 lbs extra by now.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Both stories are awesomely written and I respect that.

Stop was used back in the day when the telegraph was the needed method of communication. Not sure why anybody would still use the "Stop" thing now but it is pretty damned funny.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    SpiraMirabilisSpiraMirabilis Registered User regular
    Although 'period' is mostly universal in our vernacular these days, the original British term for '.' is a 'full stop', therefore a telegram would end sentences with STOP.

• Options
    ShanksShanks "THAT FELLOW" Registered User regular
    Love the strip. I don't see enough telegraph humor on the Internet.

And the stories are golden. Thank you, Trenches story picker person, for giving us a double shot of donut terror.

Royal Families card game rules Origin/XBL: SpaceRangerJ Steam
  • Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    Although 'period' is mostly universal in our vernacular these days, the original British term for '.' is a 'full stop', therefore a telegram would end sentences with STOP.

It's still called "full stop" in UK/AU/NZ English. It's only called a period in US/CA English.

STOP was used in place of a period in telegraphs because words of up to four letters were free whereas longer words and punctuation cost extra. It's not that Morse code doesn't support periods, it's that it was simply cheaper to send the word "STOP".

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I think Trenches has really been on a hot streak lately. I think everything with Isaac and the mole has been a highpoint for the strip.

• Options
    Ain't no steak fries like Red Robin steak fries, cause Red Robin steak fries don't ssstooooppppp...

• Options
    Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Oh God the donuts are like some horrible symbol of remaining on a reality show.

"Welcome to tribal council weekly evaluation testers. With me I have a box of 12 chocolate glazed donuts. One of you will not receive a donut. One of you is being sent home tonight. "

"I'm sorry Thomas the tribe corporate has spoken. The rest of you enjoy your donuts and head back to your camp workstations."

Or no, wait, that's closer to the roses on The Bachelor.

Blackie62 on
  • Options
    ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    It's worse than that, since the donuts are on the table when the testers walk in. It's like everyone has to pick a donut but eigh of you will be picking the short donut and will be fired.

Perhaps if work safety laws are relaxed come the election Corporate will just poison half the donuts...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Apolloin wrote: »
    It's worse than that, since the donuts are on the table when the testers walk in. It's like everyone has to pick a donut but eigh of you will be picking the short donut and will be fired.

Perhaps if work safety laws are relaxed come the election Corporate will just poison half the donuts...
    Some of these donuts are filled with raspberry jelly. Some have grape. A lucky few will contain career arsenic!

I am so weak against donuts. If they are on the table, I will eat them. I will say I won't, but half an hour later I fold. This is why I don't go into donut stores since college.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So the Executive Assistant at the office just sent out an email to the floor saying today is national doughnut day, and there's a huge pile of different types of doughnuts in the kitchen.....

• Options
    JormungandrJormungandr Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    So the Executive Assistant at the office just sent out an email to the floor saying today is national doughnut day, and there's a huge pile of different types of doughnuts in the kitchen.....

Sorry to hear that, man. Hopefully your resume is up to date.

• Options
    I seem to recall a Dilbert cartoon where the pointy haired boss hides a pink slip inside one donut in a box, as he thinks it's the most humane way to reduce headcount. In the last panel, the boss looks angrily at the empty box, while Dilbert asks Wally if he enjoyed the donuts. Wally replies, "The first two were great, the third was papery."

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Ain't no steak fries like Red Robin steak fries, cause Red Robin steak fries don't ssstooooppppp...
    They don't stop. They can't stop. Killing! Coming this summer from Michael Bay: Blood Red Robin.

• Options
    I feel like we are seeing a whole new side of Isaac in this arc, like he's coming alive, with the pop culture references and random behavior. I think he's actually secretly enjoying himself for the first time since he took this job. I suspect this is the side of Isaac that had control when...whatever happened that got him arrested (if we ever find out what that was) happened.