As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying an Airsoft gun

HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq.Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm thinking about buying an airsoft gun. Several, actually. Rifles and SMGS, to be specific. I'm in the market for something nice, but not too expensive. Problem is, I don't know 1) what the trustworthy websites are to buy from, 2) who the good manufacturers are, and 3) how much money I'm likely to spend per gun to ensure it doesn't suck ass/will break the second I pick it up. Are there any airsoft enthusiasts here who might know any of this information off-hand?

Hacksaw on

• Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Redwolfairsoft is a pretty reputable place to buy weaponry.

The simpliest answer though is to buy an AEG made by either Tokyo Mauri, Classic Army, or ICS.

If you're just starting, I'd say buy a TM MP5, they cost around $200, I think, and are pretty much the most reliable/upgradable guns around. But it all depends on the gun you want too. If you want a sniper, you're gonna have to pay some serious cash to get a gun upgraded to what you want.

Leave some more info as to what you want and I'll try to help some, but I know that some other people on here know more than me about this stuff. I'm pretty limited in my funds as well, so I bought a cheap BE SL8 AEG and yeah, that shit broke in like a week. So remember, generally you get what you pay for.

Etch on
  • Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tokyo Marui is one of the most trusted gun makers. You can browse at Redwolf Airsoft and you should be looking to spend ~300-450 for a pretty good rifle

edit--I wouldnt suggest the mp5...unless youre playing some close quarters kind of thing. Mp5s can be upgraded pretty well but of the ones I have seen of my friends, they suck ass. When I used to play, I had a TM m4a1 and a TM AK. I ran, dove, ducked, dicked? and they never broke. Id also suggest upgrading the fps to ~350ish. Anyway, yeah, leave more information on what you want and well try to help

(sorry about not using apostrophes, firefox pulls up the search function everytime I hit it and Im too lazy to restart)

trixtah on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Firefox does that to me sometimes too T_T

I'm too cheap for name brand guns.

I have an MP001, which is basically a VSR-10 clone. I got a pretty nice one though, powerful and accurate, but I bought it locally and actually got to fiddle with it before the purchase, so I knew it was ok. I've heard of a lot of those guns being lemons though, so lucky me.

Etch on
  • Options
    thisisthepotthisisthepot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Enlighten me to the purpose of airsoft guns. Personally I would save the money and put it towards a real gun or something more practical. But thats just me.

thisisthepot on
    "Backcourt Violation!"

Wii: 5838 3821 9527 3712
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Enlighten me to the purpose of airsoft guns. Personally I would save the money and put it towards a real gun or something more practical. But thats just me.

If you want to play war games with your friends or just shoot random stuff in your backyard, a real weapon is going to be overkill. Literally.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about buying an airsoft gun. Several, actually. Rifles and SMGS, to be specific. I'm in the market for something nice, but not too expensive. Problem is, I don't know 1) what the trustworthy websites are to buy from, 2) who the good manufacturers are, and 3) how much money I'm likely to spend per gun to ensure it doesn't suck ass/will break the second I pick it up. Are there any airsoft enthusiasts here who might know any of this information off-hand?

Been playing since 2000 so I know a little about this subject...

1) The most trustworthy website you can buy from is one that has a physical store you can visit in case something goes wrong. I've purchased from Redwolf, Den Trinity, and Wargame Club (around $5K in guns between the three). They're all great... until somebody fucks up and you have to go through customer service. Sometimes they're courteous and prompt. Other times they accuse you of being the problem and will not do a damn thing to help. Personally I'd recommend Airsoft Extreme but I'm biased since I've known them for a long time.

2) Good manufacturer for vanilla Long Arms is Tokyo Marui, Classic Army, and G&G, in that order. Anything else is either custom or suspect. Pistols would be Tokyo Marui, Western Arms, or KSC.

3) If you're looking at a standard long rifle/SMG, $200-300 range. Pistols go from $100-300 depending on brand/make.
    I'm too cheap for name brand guns.

If you're just dicking around, that's fine. If you go with a knockoff, it WILL break. The cheap chinese guns flooding the market right now are especially bad. Expect them to last a few skirmishes, then become doorstops. There's a reason Tokyo Marui guns cost what they do.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wenchkilla wrote: »

If you want to play war games with your friends or just shoot random stuff in your backyard, a real weapon is going to be overkill. Literally.

If you plan on playing in the forest behind your school (like we do), make sure you buy some bio-degradable BB's.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Uh, I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on one of these things. Are there any quality guns for reasonable prices around or below $100?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Amazon has a decent list of cheap guns. Iunno about rifle quality, but the handgun selection is pretty good quality. I got a nice 1911 colt .45 replica off there for 15 bucks.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    AximAxim Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    haha i thought you wrote aircraft gun that would have been awesome

Axim on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Uh, I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on one of these things. Are there any quality guns for reasonable prices around or below $100?

Not so much, but then again, I've read stories about people buying cheaper guns and having them work great. The Chinese guns are really hit or miss in my oppinion. My BE SL8 broke in like a week, but my MP001 is working fine so far, but I bought this one from an actual brick and mortor place, so I messed around with it first, and so had the seller.

Honestly though, you can get away with $200 on a TM depending on where you buy

Etch on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, if you really want a cheap one, you could always go to Wal Mart or Canadian Tire ( If you live in Canada that is) and pick up one of their spring loaded pistols. Still fun to play with, just not quite as cool.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I was really thinking of a spring-powered gun. Y'all seem to be listing prices for gas or electric powered guns, here.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    trixtahtrixtah Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    spring powered? well just go to the nearest store at buy a 20-40 dollar plinker

trixtah on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I was thinking spring-powered in context to cost. I'm not too keen on going out and slamming down $300-400 for something I doubt I'll be able to use on a regular basis.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a semi/full-auto select Sig 552 replica that was like $30. It's brand is "Double Eagle." It isn't as powerful as a spring pistol, but like I said... full auto.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm just worried about buying something that's so cheap it won't likely be an exact 1:1 replica (I'm mainly going to be using these things as references for some 3D modelling work).

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm just worried about buying something that's so cheap it won't likely be an exact 1:1 replica (I'm mainly going to be using these things as references for some 3D modelling work).

It's pretty close.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The knockoffs tend to be pretty close since at that price range you're primarily buying for the look.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    for a sub $100 you cant really get quality, unfortunately. If anything go with UTG brand. It should last you quite a bit, but it WILL fail eventually... probably sooner than later.

EDIT: I just noticed you will be using it mainly for modeling. In that case I recommend TM springers, they are most robust ones on the market, and in most cases exact 1:1 replicas (some might have a 1mm or two difference in some areas, but for your purpouses should work). Those guns wont have real markings, or if they originally do - they will be removed since US customs are anal about it. Another thing you need to be aware of is that due to the spring compression, most springers slides dont move back as far as real firearms do. It is a small difference, but firearms ethusiasts will find it a bit jarring. Stay away from Crossman brands since realism factor is very low there (and internals are utter crap).
    If you want actual perfect 1:1 copy of a pistol, you have to go with Western Arms perfect editions, but those things cost arm and leg.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sadly, it doesn't look like TM offers Spring assault rifles :( . All I see are expensive electric ones.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I can't vouch for the site but is this more like it?

Asuma on