As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camping During a Road Trip

MrMonroeMrMonroe passed outon the floor nowRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Current Route Plan:

goo.gl/maps/NMb8

We have a place to stay in Chicago for a night, but are looking to camp in/around Badlands National Park, and hopefully camp near SLC, UT rather than rent a room for a night.

Any suggestions of places with cheap camping rates (or no rates at all, we played enough Oregon Trail to know to be well provisioned and won't really be in need of amenities) near either of these places? Feel free to make modest route change suggestions and link the resulting map if it helps. We still really need to do this in a four-day run for financial reasons.

Cheers!

MrMonroe on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I used to live out in the badlands, lemme give you some advice.

Don't camp out there outside of an official campgrounds. And even then, make sure the place is super well reviewed.

Depending on the time of year, roving packs of coyotes, hundreds of elk who just don't give a fuck, and a fair bit of just knowing the lay of the land so you don't pitch tent in a place with a high rate of violence / vandalism / etc. (Badlands sits right on top of and through Pine Ridge / Rosebud reservations... Pine Ridge is the poorest county with the worst unemployment in the ENTIRE COUNTRY... things are broken there).

Badlands are beautiful, and camping there can be a treat. Just don't look for a freebie; find a good safe place.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Don't camp out there outside of an official campgrounds. And even then, make sure the place is super well reviewed.

Depending on the time of year, roving packs of coyotes, hundreds of elk who just don't give a fuck, and a fair bit of just knowing the lay of the land so you don't pitch tent in a place with a high rate of violence / vandalism / etc. (Badlands sits right on top of and through Pine Ridge / Rosebud reservations... Pine Ridge is the poorest county with the worst unemployment in the ENTIRE COUNTRY... things are broken there).

Badlands are beautiful, and camping there can be a treat. Just don't look for a freebie; find a good safe place.

Seconded.

KOA used to be the standard, my family stayed here about 10-15 years ago: http://koa.com/campgrounds/badlands/.

I think we used KOA campgrounds in Montana and Washington too.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ruckus wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

Seconded.

KOA used to be the standard, my family stayed here about 10-15 years ago: http://koa.com/campgrounds/badlands/.

I think we used KOA campgrounds in Montana and Washington too.

mmmm, Indian Taco Dinner sounds awesome. I need to make some frybread soon.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    Consider a change in your itinerary between Casper and SLC. From everything I've heard, Wyoming is a beautiful state. However one of the ugliest places in the US that I've ever been to is the section of I80 between Rawlins and Evanston. Unless you like scrub and trailer parks. Driving further north, through Jackson would add about 3 hours to your trip. Not insignificant, but the scenery would be roughly a million times better (Grand Tetons, etc).

As far as camping around SLC there are some good options. There are campgrounds up both Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. These campgrounds are scenic, secluded and relatively affordable. They're less than 20 minutes from Salt Lake City itself. They're not terribly expensive but they don't allow pets (since it's SLC watershed). Specifically the camping at Albion Basin and Redman campgrounds would be recommended. Check the temperature as it could be cooler than you expect up there. That might be a good thing depending on when you're coming through.

If you're really stretched on money you could consider dispersed camping. Stansbury Island, west of SLC might be an option. The BLM or the Forest Service could offer up some suggestions in that department.

sierracrest.jpg