As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop Replacement/Suggestions Thread: Bring out yer dead laptops!

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Check to make sure all your drivers are up to date. it wouldn't surprise me if there was a graphics and or/chipset driver issue.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    You should be able to force it to use the GPU if you right click desktop, go to nvidia control panel, click Manage 3D Settings, and find a field in there where you can tell it to only use the nvidia GPU. You can set it on an application-specific basis for destiny 2 only as well. BUT, this might not help, as I would not be sure that the laptop using the GPU and CPU graphics in tandem is causing you to lose performance. Try that and see if it improves anything, if not you're probably just hitting the limits of the laptop 2060 chipset. Laptop GPU chipsets are downclocked from desktop versions significantly to reduce power consumption and especially heat.

e: oh reading comprehension lol, you already did that.
    Hmm. Reading online it sounds like you should be able to get at least 90 FPS on a 2060 mobile. Yeah that's a mystery, I guess you could try disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS. Can you open up the bottom easily and see if it needs to be cleaned of dust, also? Also also what kind of CPU do you have in there, could you be getting bottlenecked by the CPU?

It's an 8th gen i7, so while D2 is pretty CPU intensive it shouldn't be getting bottlenecked that bad. I did do a full dusting which didn't have any impact, and all the drivers are up to date. Confirmed that disabling the onboard graphics does disable the laptop screen, unfortunately, so I can either: play connected to a monitor and get solid performance, or: get bad performance using my laptop as a laptop. Unless there's anything else to be done here that I'm missing.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is this a 1080p laptop or higher resolution?

BahamutZERO.gif
    is this a 1080p laptop or higher resolution?
    Yeah, 1080p, 144hz I believe.

reinstalling GPU/chipset drivers from the laptop manufacturer's site is the only thing I can think to try

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Did you try disabling the Intel graphics from the Device Manager instead of BIOS?

That's such a weird issue, I have the exact same laptop and haven't had a problem with that nVidia card switching with games via the GeForce driver suite, but I don't play Destiny 2.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Good recommendations, I'll try both of those and see what happens.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm low-key looking for a new laptop for my mom. She's currently using a Lenovo that is serviceable but the keyboard has issues. I'm checking for a new kb to replace it but I'm also looking into full fledged replacement.

She uses it for web services and email, as well as managing her photos. She's early 70s so obviously visibility is an issue.

That feels like a Ultrabook / Chromebook solution? You can set the accessibility and screen magnification through windows.

So, update on the MSI situation: not every game is stuck the way Destiny 2 is, so that is good to know; it's just particularly CPU heavy and I'm hitting 90c almost instantly, which is causing it to throttle, which is causing my FPS to stick at 45~ no matter what the settings are on. I did some undervolting, but that isn't enough even with fans on max, so I'm probably going to need to re-apply thermal paste.

ahhh bottlenecked by the CPU? that makes sense

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    My dudes.

I'm thinking about some kind of 2-in-1/convertible to use primarily for digital sheet music and video recording/playback during music lessons. I would also like to be able to run Ableton Live for some light recording so Windows is a must (not a fan of iOS). Ableton says minimum i5 processor but I'm not doing any hardcore mixing or live sets or anything so I'm wondering if I can get by with less.

How are the Surface Pros? Specifically the 5 or 6 since I'm looking at refurbished units and want to keep it around $500.

• AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    A relative is looking for a new 14"-15" work laptop at a $750 budget (employer is buying). His current machine is a Dell XPS 13" with an i5 10210U and 8GB of ram. Portability and battery life aren't as important here as performance. Am I likely to find a laptop with significantly upgraded specs compared to his current machine at this budget? Specifically, I'd really like something with 16GB of ram, as that seems to be the bottleneck with his current usage.

The two models I've currently found are this Acer at Costco, and this MSI at Newegg. But I'm not sure Costco is even an option, given his employer will be making the purchase, and I've been out of the loop for _many_ years, and don't really know what's what with regards to models, processors and build quality.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So, update on the MSI situation: not every game is stuck the way Destiny 2 is, so that is good to know; it's just particularly CPU heavy and I'm hitting 90c almost instantly, which is causing it to throttle, which is causing my FPS to stick at 45~ no matter what the settings are on. I did some undervolting, but that isn't enough even with fans on max, so I'm probably going to need to re-apply thermal paste.

I got mine through XoticPC and I had them add thermal pads or some such shit in addition to improving the thermal paste and it's never broke 45

MegaMan001 wrote: »

I got mine through XoticPC and I had them add thermal pads or some such shit in addition to improving the thermal paste and it's never broke 45

I got mine half off at Best Buy as it was a floor display, so it had already seen some use when I picked it up. But still, half off! Now to find someone local that can put the thermal pads on for me because I don't want to do that.

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    I'm looking to replace my Dell XPS 13 which is getting a bit long in the tooth. I need a new laptop for work, which is .NET development under Windows. I'd like to run Linux at the same time with a VM setup.

I'm thinking 32 GB of RAM and 512 GB hard disk. No need for a dedicated graphics card. Quick build times. 15" screen with good resolution. Able to drive 2 external screens. As good battery time as I can get. Not too fussed about price. Decent passive cooling would be nice, so I don't have to listen to the fans running all day.

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I got mine half off at Best Buy as it was a floor display, so it had already seen some use when I picked it up. But still, half off! Now to find someone local that can put the thermal pads on for me because I don't want to do that.

My Acer Predator was hitting those temps. Undervolting didn’t help much in the long run.

The solution was to go into windows battery management and set the CPU to 95% power while plugged in. I got no noticeable performance drop and my temps dropped 20c. I’d give that a try before getting someone to crack it open.

-Loki- on
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I have an HP x2 laptop (its kinda like a Surface) with a swelling battery. Thinking about taking it to ubreakifix because this is a glued together kind of laptop rather than screws. Anyone had any positive/negative experience there?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05517464.pdf it's just a bit more involved than I really trust myself to do without breaking the screen.

ubreakfix is the company Google uses for official repairs, and their techs are certified for Samsung, etc other repairs, at least on the phone side. They're probably about as trustworthy as you get for 3rd party repair shops.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    My dad is looking to buy a laptop for working from home. It’s just office work, so nothing super beefy is needed, but it does need to be Windows.

He’s currently looking at a Zenbook 14. Any thoughts on that? Maybe something cheaper that would still work?

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    My dad is looking to buy a laptop for working from home. It’s just office work, so nothing super beefy is needed, but it does need to be Windows.

He’s currently looking at a Zenbook 14. Any thoughts on that? Maybe something cheaper that would still work?

Cheaper than the non-OLED, non-Duo models? Kinda difficult.

The missus has had an MSI Prestige 14 for the past 2 years and she's loved it (and the battery life is insane if doing "office work.") and it's in the ballpark of the Zenbook 14, I'd say? Just another option to consider.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Is he willing to check open box or used?

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Is he willing to check open box or used?

Yes he is, though I don't know any reliable sites for these.

He should look for one with thunderbolt if he wants to dock it up to multiple monitors for work. Otherwise most anything core i3 with SSD storage will be fine for MS Office multitasking. Costco has some good deals right now if you have a membership.

It's hit or miss, but Best Buy has open box options. For refurb, you can check Amazon or Microcenter (if that's an option).

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'm torn right now on what to get for a laptop. I've been looking for a while here and nothing really hits everything I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that's 90% gaming / 10% work but the gaming is going to be slower games like planet zoo, humankind, battletech, midnight suns, etc. For more immersive games like Red Dead 2, Cyberpunk, horizon zero dawn, etc, I'll be using my desktop and TV/Monitor. Ideally looking for 17.3 since this is a couch laptop and I don't need much battery life or portability.

I've narrowed it down to ASUS ProArt Studiobook 16 and the Alienware X17 R2. I grabbed a higher end model ProArt from Microcenter to test with my SO's Alienware X17 R1.

X17 Pros: The keyboard is much better, it's spaced better and has cherry mx switches. The 17.3" screen is the right size for couch use. Has 120hz screen if needed. Matte screen helped with reflections.

ProArt Pros: OLED. Not much else to say, having both machines side by side, the Alienware blacks looked dark-grey at best (and the alienware 4k according to multiple sites is one of the best on the market outside of mini-led).

I'm leaning ProArt since for the types of games I'll be playing on it, seems like 60hz would be fine and I'll get more value out of the OLED screen. I wish companies would catch up with Apple and offer a 17.3" mini-led with the zone count Apple offers. But looking at the MSI creator stuff, seems their newest model may not even have mini-led anymore and the older models had pretty low zone count (also no 17" anymore and mixed reviews).

I tried searching to see what 2023 might bring, but I can't find anything this early. AUO apparently had a 17.3" OLED with 120hz they demo'd back in 2019, so who knows if it's a thing any company can actually buy. I'm also not holding out hope since it seems manufactures care more about increasing the "hrz" than overall quality of the screens.

The only other model I was looking at was the XPS 17. It's supposed to have one of the nicest screens for a non-OLED. But recent reviews seems to suggest it's longer in the tooth now and the 3060 is a low watt version that I'm nervous about for gaming. Checking on Notebook check, if it was a 115w one or something, I think it could have worked. But I was reading Dell caps it at 65w's or something.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Yeah if you're on the fence about the other stuff I'd go OLED. My little HP x2 I got a quote on from ifixit would've been around $230 to fix with labor on a machine I paid $500ish on clearance for so I found a refurb HP Spectre x360 at Microcenter with an AMOLED screen for about $500 instead of getting a cheapo at Costco because of the better screen, thunderbolt ports, and build quality.

Aside: I did actually use my heat gun to take apart the HP x2 to see if I could fix it for less but the melting temperature of the adhesive is approximately equal to the melting temperature of some plastic bezel pieces inside the adhesive attaches to, so by the time I replace those as well as the battery I'm approaching the ifixit quote, so it is sitting on my shelf instead. So while I didn't use them, I think their quote was fair. Before buying the refurb I looked up its disassembly guide to confirm it was the more standard set of screws to replace the battery, so it should last a long time since it is primarily for portability 2in1 stuff and any heavy compute gets done on my desktop.

After doing a bunch more research, the models on my list are:

Alienware X17 - Best regular LCD screen in 17.3".

ASUS Flow X16 - Mini-LED screen at 165hz, can convert into a table

MSI Raider GE67HX - OLED 240hz

My work laptop is 15.6" and so I've been using that against my wifes X17 R1 and 17.3" is really the size I'd like. For most things I could get away with smaller but for some games like Planet Zoo, there are so many toolbars and such, it's really hard to see on that small of a screen.

I'm still not sure, but I have time since the Flow X16 isn't out yet everywhere. I'm leaning that direction since the 2 in 1 functionality might give it life/usefulness if a 17.3" mini-LED or OLED comes out in a year or 2. I'm not used to selling stuff, so I'm not sure what the use laptop market is like. Would a 1 year old laptop lose 50% of it's value? more? less?

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Dumb AMD-related question: My new HP laptop has Radeon Vega 8 graphics. I ran Windows Update as soon as I unpacked the machine, and the AMD control panel immediately stopped working. How do I get it back? AMD says to use the OEM drivers in laptops. I rolled back to the HP-provided drivers, and the AMD control panel continues to not work. HP seems to provide installers for their AMD drivers, but the installers didn't install the AMD control panel. I could install the main driver package from AMD, but I was worried using it might negatively impact thermals/battery life/etc. What do?

Frem on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know what the typical lag between a new GPU chipset being announced (40xx series in this instance) and mobile versions being put into actual buyable laptops?

I'm going to be in the market for a laptop in the relatively near future, and will probably aim for a higher end gaming one, but I am wondering if I wanted to just wait until there was like a 4080 mobile version that might start showing up. Looking at the dates for the 30xx series, it was 4-6mo later, but I can't tell if those are paper dates or actual.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Does anyone know what the typical lag between a new GPU chipset being announced (40xx series in this instance) and mobile versions being put into actual buyable laptops?

I'm going to be in the market for a laptop in the relatively near future, and will probably aim for a higher end gaming one, but I am wondering if I wanted to just wait until there was like a 4080 mobile version that might start showing up. Looking at the dates for the 30xx series, it was 4-6mo later, but I can't tell if those are paper dates or actual.

We don't know for sure but considering that nvidia is continuing to sell the midrange 30 series GPU's for desktop for the forseeable future, and with the cost of the new architecture... I think it'll be a while.

If I were to hazard an uneducated guess, we'll see the first mobile GPU's announced around CES in January, which is 3.5 months away. As to when a human being could actually buy them... likely well after that.

edited September 2022
    wunderbar wrote: »

We don't know for sure but considering that nvidia is continuing to sell the midrange 30 series GPU's for desktop for the forseeable future, and with the cost of the new architecture... I think it'll be a while.

If I were to hazard an uneducated guess, we'll see the first mobile GPU's announced around CES in January, which is 3.5 months away. As to when a human being could actually buy them... likely well after that.

Yeah hard to say. The 3xxx series launched October, the mobile variants launched after CES. But the 4xxx architecture is interesting, judging by the desktop versions so far, the power need is way up which doesn't bode well for mobile versions since they need to be as power efficient as possible.

Trajan45 on
    What i could see them do is a repeat of the 9xx series. Launch the 4080 and 4070 as 4xxxx architecture paired down as best they can and for use in large well cooled laptops. With everything else using the 3xxx architecture rebranded.

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something obvious here?

Lenovo is selling their Legion 5i Pro Gen 7 laptop, with a 3070ti, on sale, for $1800usd.

The closest laptop with its specs (that doesn't look like it was designed by an edgy teenager in 1997 anyway, I just immediately ignore those because I can't) is $2500-3000. Which, I guess this usually is off sale. Yeah, it could use some more RAM, but 16gb is fine, and 32gb isn't terribly expensive anyway, and it's not soldered on, so it's upgradable. I've spent an inordinate amount of time watching reviews for this (and the 7i, plus MSI and ASUS's answer to the Razer Blade), and while it isn't as "clean", it seems like it's a damn good gaming laptop, and seems like a damn good price.

I mean, the Razer Blade is pretty, but so is $1300 left in my bank for virtually identically components.

Anyway, when I get up in the morning, hopefully that sale is still there and I'll just check with my wife that she's fine with it.

I also need to get the kids laptops. Something a lot cheaper, but still capable of playing games. Looks like 3060 is about the lowest 30 series card that is still very viable on FHD screens. That seems to tip the price over $1k. Though, Lenovo has some there, too that have a good discount. Might just end up getting them for everyone.

edited September 2022
    Where are you seeing that price? One thing I noticed is that folks mention the ones on sale around that price are 3070's not the Ti version (not that it matters much). Noticing Walmart has it on sale right now for $1600 usd. Apparently there is a Ryzen 6800H with 3060 that can be found on sale for $1200. So you might be able to get it cheaper depending on your gaming needs.

That being said, the Legion 5i Pro Gen 7 is generally regarded as one of the best budget gaming laptops. It has full or close to full power parts, with a decent screen, and good chassis.

Trajan45 on
    edited September 2022
    directly from lenovo https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/legion-5i-pro-gen-7-(16-inch-intel)/82rf000aus

EDIT: And I think I'm going to get these for the kids: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-5-series/legion-5-gen-7-(15-inch-amd)/82rd000wus a bit more than I had initially planned, but they're also a good deal, with 3060's which are a pretty large step above the 3050 (sometimes ti's) that the lowest "gaming" laptops come with, and aren't much more expensive, plus aren't at the level where everything is soldered on and unupgradable.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2022
    Here's the link to the Walmart deal: Link

The sad thing you have to check with all these cards is what is the wattage they are rated for in the laptops. A full power 3060 is more than enough for more games at 1080p. But for example, the 3060 in the XPS 15 is neutered to be much lower in wattage, so it's FPS takes a major dive and isn't much better than a 3050.

I'd keep an eye out on the deal sites, maybe put an alert on for the 3060 version of what you are looking at. Being a Pro model like you are looking at, and it can be had on sale for around same $1,200 as the model you are looking at above, but with the Pro you get the better screen (better colors and brightness) and more importantly for kids, a better chassis, which is likely to hold up better to drops and such vs plastic.

EDIT: Seems there is an old AMD model with 3070 is only $1,300. Fair warning, I've never bought via Walmart, so no idea how decent they are as a shop.

Trajan45 on
    edited September 2022
    That's a good deal on the walmart one, but its last years model. outside of the changes in design to the lid, it looks like the main differences is it's not a Ti, it's DDR4 instead of DDR5, has one less USB-C port, and has only 1tb of storage. For all those things I'm happy to pay an extra $100, plus not having that gaudy massive symbol on the back, but that's completely personal.

I might look more into different options for the kids. A better screen would be good, but I also wanted to try to keep the size down so it was easier to travel with, and the 3060 would definitely struggle with the higher resolution; it seems like the 3070ti is already pushing it and I'd likely do most things at a lower 16:10 res and maybe rely on DLSS anyway.

I wish more of the lower end gaming laptops didn't solder the ram to the board. that's just a big nope for me.

EDIT: Oh, also with the kids, I might just get a good QHD or 4K screen that they can just plug the laptop into if they need more pixels or space when they're not travelling or using them at school. I absolutely can see the difference, even on 15in screens, between 1080 and 1440, but 4k at that size is pretty unnecessary IMO, and even 1080 still looks pretty good when it's that small and you're not seeing the pixels. The Legion 5 has HDMI 2.1 so lots of options there.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2022
    Yeah laptop GPUs are always significantly lower capability compared to desktop versions of that chipset for power and thermal reasons, to the point they are basically different GPUs.
    For example a laptop 3070 ti benchmarks just a bit higher than a desktop 3060, closer to a desktop 3060 than a desktop 3060 ti.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2022
    Folks in the Slickdeals thread mentioned the Walmart pic's are old and it should be the new model based on the hardware (Intel Core i7-12700H). But yeah I'm not sure how I feel about ordering from Walmart.

I sent a bunch of other options and links to the deal threads via message. You can take a look at those and see what might work. Plenty of 3060 laptops in the sub-$1000 range, they are just more plastic and have worse screens. But if your kids are young, that might be the better option for 2-4 years. If they are late middle school/high school, maybe the Legion Pro's would be better since they are more likely to use the features for the money.

EDIT: I agree about separate monitors, keyboard/mice. While working on a laptop isn't the worst, if I'm doing work, I'd much rather have those. Unfortunately, smaller/lighter laptops with 3060's are expensive as they fall under portable gaming laptops (Ex: Alienware 14" is $400-$500 more than the 15.6" version with same specs).

Trajan45 on