As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Watch Dogs] GTA4 impregnates Deus Ex, while NVidia PhysX watches like a voyeur. +DRM

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd love to know the technical reasons behind it. It's just a 10% increase over 720p. Doesn't seem like it would make any noticeable difference.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I really, really hope that 30 FPS is at least locked (Or, if it varies, that 30 is the low point) and that it's not this 20-35 FPS bullshit.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    Also, if the PC version is poorly optimized, at least the modding community has an opportunity to fix it.

HAHAHAHA implying a Ubisoft game could be modded.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Also, if the PC version is poorly optimized, at least the modding community has an opportunity to fix it.

HAHAHAHA implying a Ubisoft game could be modded.

Didn't the community make some fixes for Black Flag? Or am I mistaken?

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    :\ I really, really hope they don't fuck this game up. I am looking forward to it far too much, but I can't help it.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So apparently the first review is out

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cfc_1400346978

And I guess this is pretty much the biggest thing about it:
    One huge caveat/punishment Ubisoft implemented is when you do turn off the Online Option, all your skills accumulated are reset to zero. You read that right. They all get reset to zero. All the online-specific skills reset to zero as punishment for not wanting to play online, something which is entirely disappointing. Either you keep getting invaded, or you get punished for wanting to play sometimes and not other times with the online mode.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Hrm. That's pretty lame.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    game developers are just idiots, the amount of times ive seen systems like this implemented, its like, how could you not see how annoying this would be?

Or they could just say its part of the intent and dark souls it

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Apparently that's from a beta not a final version

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Apparently that's from a beta not a final version

Well that's good to hear. Not completely surprising considering it's from a no-name site.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    I just watched the leaked footage above and thought it looked really cool, not sure if the link had changed or something because it was just some guy trying to blow up a gas station, but the lighting was ace, the police were dangerous, the way civilians called in your crimes was different to what I've seen before. Hyped!

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The streamer was a moron (he really hates that gas station) but I liked what it showed off. The guns were nice and loud.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    That was a waste of time. He could have done something more than jjust shoot a gas station. Looks purty though.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The (always) on-line features have turned me right off this game. I was even thinking of pre-ordering, but I'm staying on the fence for now.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    So, Xbox One version at 792p doesn't look all that bad after all. PS4 gets 900p so that's good step up. I'm still snagging it off Steam, though.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Both Xbone and PS4 are at 30fps though! It kinda feels like a rush job. I'm waiting for reviews.

Also, hilariously, I had a PS4 watch_dogs bundle on order until that news broke an I decided against it. I finally get to use PREORDER CANCELLED unironically :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It's hard to tell how pretty it actually was because that was a terrible quality freed

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    This game is like the poster child for 'Wait for reviews before buying'. So many warning flags it's not even funny.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The technical reason is that 790 > 720.

Can you prove that?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    That was a waste of time. He could have done something more than jjust shoot a gas station. Looks purty though.

Well, to be fair, he really hates those cans.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    They killed his parents.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Eh, I've always played the hell out of even mediocre 3rd person open-world games. It's one of my "go-to" genres. Critics may think it's shit when it's all said and done, but I'll enjoy it regardless.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Can you prove that?

Can you disprove it?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Can you prove that?

Can you disprove it?

Using Widget's Theorum of Mathlessness, no, I cannot.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    It's almost like there's a propaganda campaign against Watch_Dogs.

That WCCF site is hinky as fuck + the guy who wrote the article is arguing back at comments asking for him to show the box the game came in, and considering some of his responses make me think he got a version of the game through less than legal means.

It is also hilarious that everyone's dumping all the shits on this game after it was revealed that shockingly no the graphics don't look like they do in the E3 tech demo, which was a -tech- demo. Ever since then all I've heard from people was "Preorder cancled lol Ubisoft lied" and a bunch of stupid memes that are getting real old real fast.

If you're worried about graphics and frame rate get it on a computer. Always online? Private mode.

Mountain out of a mole hill.

• Options
    I really don't understand the hate stemming from "it doesn't look like the E3 demo".

There have been so many things announced at E3 that were significantly different in their final version.

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    It's almost like there's a propaganda campaign against Watch_Dogs.

That WCCF site is hinky as fuck + the guy who wrote the article is arguing back at comments asking for him to show the box the game came in, and considering some of his responses make me think he got a version of the game through less than legal means.

It is also hilarious that everyone's dumping all the shits on this game after it was revealed that shockingly no the graphics don't look like they do in the E3 tech demo, which was a -tech- demo. Ever since then all I've heard from people was "Preorder cancled lol Ubisoft lied" and a bunch of stupid memes that are getting real old real fast.

If you're worried about graphics and frame rate get it on a computer. Always online? Private mode.

Mountain out of a mole hill.

On-line is "fully integrated seamless online multiplayer", yeah you can turn it off, but it seems like it's meant to be on and playing without it seems like an inferior experience. With a visceral dislike of forced multiplayer into single player games, it's enough to make me wait and see how this one plays out before jumping in.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »

Well, to be fair, he really hates those cans.

For those who didn't get the joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcwz8-EfFYE

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I really don't understand the hate stemming from "it doesn't look like the E3 demo".

There have been so many things announced at E3 that were significantly different in their final version.

It's fairly simple.

Watch Dogs had the bad luck to be the representative of the Next Generation of Gaming. It promised the moon, like every other time new consoles launched. And then it turned out that it couldn't even push 1080p OR 60 FPS OR all the graphics effects it showed, because the Next Generation wasn't solving all the problems of the world or allowing for Revolutionary New Ideas. Like every other time new consoles launched.

And Watch Dogs took all the heat, because it was getting all the good attention earlier.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    To be super clear, cancelling my Watch_Dogs preorder was also motivated by me wanting a PS4 super bad and getting it a week early. That's at least like. 5% of the decision.

The rest is a sinking feeling that it's not gonna be all that great. Not running in 60fps wasn't the one shot dealbreaker I may have made it out to be - it was the last straw on a pile of things making me nervous about the game.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I'm pretty certain I will end up buying this, but it's totally waiting on reviews before pulling the trigger.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

It's like the crysis loltech demo arguments.

People (read: me) are also concerned because all the videos recently have been all about going in guns blazing and getting, like, so virtual high you don't even know, maaaaan. As opposed to the stealthy hacky stuff the first couple years of gameplay demos showed

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

It's like the crysis loltech demo arguments.

People (read: me) are also concerned because all the videos recently have been all about going in guns blazing and getting, like, so virtual high you don't even know, maaaaan. As opposed to the stealthy hacky stuff the first couple years of gameplay demos showed

For the record, half of Crysis is a really good game.

The second half... isn't.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm thinking (hoping) that they're just pushing that because that's how game marketing is.
    Same reason we got Generic Shooter Cover for Bioshock Infinite, etc.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I keep seeing that image posted around like it means something. The whole bottom half is crap you get in the super expensive version (so... just crap). Preorder DLC and Exclusive DLC are nothing new (and as usual it's all useless fluff)... and yeah if you include every SKU from different regions there will be lots differences! Plus throwing the season pass on there? Not necessarily needed.
    I can make a much smaller chart that will tell the average customer what they need to know, without adding superfluous columns to make it look crazy huge. People will look any where for the next nontroversy...

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Nontroversy. Bravo.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    What people don't seem to get about DLC that's made before the game releases is that the content only exists because people are willing to pay extra for it. Ie, if there was no such thing as preorder bonuses and DLC, resources for the creation of that extra content would not have been allocated. They don't make the game then slice it into DLC, the DLC is made because they can make extra from it. It's this bizarre resentment people have developed, like they are somehow being shortchanged or ripped off. I've got news for you, without the incentive of DLC sales, that content would not exist.

Prohass on