As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars 1313 has fallen into the Sarlaac, never to return

• PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    I've heard nothing but great things about Republic Commando.

And really, haven't most great Star Wars games just been Star Wars + x?

I mean, Battlefront is just Star Wars + Battlefield.

Exactly.

Star Wars + Wing Commander= X-Wing
    Star Wars + Doom= Dark Forces
    Star Wars + Contra= "Super" Series

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I don't know how you'd classify the Jedi Outcast/Academy games though. Since they're hybrid FPS/3rd person fighting games.

There was quite a bit of depth to the saber combat. Three different style changes on the fly. Certain moves were instant guard breakers but left you horribly exposed. You could combo powers and attacks. Fighting a Reborn really FELT like you were fighting another force user.

Star Wars + Bushido Blade= Jedi Academy gsaberrealisticcombat=3 :P

I wish we still had the PA server up. :(

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Star Wars + Age of Empires = Galactic Battlegrounds

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Empire at war was bad. I really didn't like it. The ground combat is BORING AS SHIT. The space combat has cool animations, but still isn't that interesting.

The Jedi/sith hero units sucked monkey fuck. They were way too slow in their attacks

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    I'm hopeful for this one, but I'm hopeful for all star wars games. Force Unleashed II looked great, but had some of the more boring gameplay besides the... what, two falling sequences.

Also Jedi Power-battles is not mentioned nearly enough when talking about star wars games.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah but then you have to bring up Masters of Teräs Käsi and we don't really want to go there

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Well, it looks pretty, and the premise/setting is interesting to me. Any Star Wars game with apparently no Jedi/force stuff in it at all has to be commended for some risk-taking at least, even if I'm not anti-Jedi/force stuff myself. Agree that the combat gameplay looks utterly bland, but it's only one minute-long clip from what I assume is quite early in the game. Bears watching.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    It's strange they would make a game like 1313; with the potential to be rated M.

I know many people have asked for an adult Zelda game, but there never was a real niche for a star wars game that emulated Gears of War in any way.

Not to say I'm looking forward to the game, if its as good as most games from lucasarts, but I'm going to have to wait when the games a little bit more developed to actually make a stance on the quality of the game.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Early game plus just cause there is cover doesn't mean you have to use it; We don't know that he couldnt have charged them and used his gadgets and shit.

Either way, the game looks cool but as someone said earlier in the thread, just like the force unleashed games, it will be wise to wait for demo/reviews.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Gotta say I'm (unfairly) a little disappointed. When I hear "bounty hunter game" I think of outfitting your bounty hunter with gadgets, tracking a target, flying from planet to planet. You know, being what we assume Boba Fett was before he got eaten.

So learning that this is nothing like that, and is instead an Uncharted clone, is pretty disappointing.

But I can't say I actually expected Lucasarts to do anything but a story-driven movie/game.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Yeah, if they're going to rip off another series for something based on bounty hunters they should have gone with Hitman or Assassin's Creed.

Renzo wrote: »
    Gotta say I'm (unfairly) a little disappointed. When I hear "bounty hunter game" I think of outfitting your bounty hunter with gadgets, tracking a target, flying from planet to planet. You know, being what we assume Boba Fett was before he got eaten.

So learning that this is nothing like that, and is instead an Uncharted clone, is pretty disappointing.

But I can't say I actually expected Lucasarts to do anything but a story-driven movie/game.

If this is the start of the game it could very well be that your character develops into that role. I love origins stuff as it really helps me enjoy the game rather than just being thrust into the role of Big-Dude 'Shooty' McInvincible and his power armour forged in fresh sarlacc belly juices.

steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    It's strange they would make a game like 1313; with the potential to be rated M.

I know many people have asked for an adult Zelda game, but there never was a real niche for a star wars game that emulated Gears of War in any way.

Not to say I'm looking forward to the game, if its as good as most games from lucasarts, but I'm going to have to wait when the games a little bit more developed to actually make a stance on the quality of the game.
    Not just the potential for M: they're aiming for M. Darker and gritter is the goal.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm just happy to have a Star Wars game that is in no way related to the fucking Clone Wars. Or the Jedi. Or Karen Traviss' Loverboys.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I never actually played Uncharted. I am indifferent to "blockbuster experiences", generally. I'm not the right audience. So I dunno if this is gonna be my cup of tea.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Well, I still have a soft spot for Star Wars. So finally getting another Star Wars game that treats me like an adult instead of a toddler will be nice.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I've heard nothing but great things about Republic Commando.

And really, haven't most great Star Wars games just been Star Wars + x?

I mean, Battlefront is just Star Wars + Battlefield.

Exactly.

Star Wars + Wing Commander= X-Wing
    Star Wars + Doom= Dark Forces
    Star Wars + Contra= "Super" Series

Star Wars + <Insert 4x game here> = Rebellion

Which was a really underappreciated game, micromanagement aside.

I'm approaching this game with very cautious optimism. Republic Commando was great, but it and The Force Unleashed 1 and 2 were both waaaaaaayyyy too short to be worth purchasing in any capacity outside of summer sale.

How in the name of Skywalker do you pad out a game as much as Force Unleashed 2 and still have it be too short?

I thought Commando had a decent length for such an action heavy campaign.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    It felt like Commando ended way too soon. It was rolling along great after a bit of a boring start and BOOM, done. I wanted more. But no more has come.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm surprised it's Star Wars and Bounty Hunter and no mention of a Fett.

It's probably Fett's lovechild from a Jedi/Sith one nightstand. Then the kid was raised by Chewbacca.

steam_sig.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I never actually played Uncharted. I am indifferent to "blockbuster experiences", generally. I'm not the right audience. So I dunno if this is gonna be my cup of tea.
    If you can't get into "blockbuster experiences" at all I'm not sure if Star Wars *anything* is going to be your cup of tea. Not to be snarky, just saying...that's Star Wars down to a tee.

Darlan on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I don't mind blockbuster experiences, but I do like for there to be some gameplay in there too. Unlike uncharted, which just bored me to tears.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    If you can't get into "blockbuster experiences" at all I'm not sure if Star Wars *anything* is going to be your cup of tea. Not to be snarky, just saying...that's Star Wars down to a tee.

Remember when Star Wars used to be closer to a Space Opera than a "blockbuster experience"?

Pepperidge Farm remembers...

Hate to get into this, but...that may be true for the prequels, yes. The original films, not nearly as much.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

It's probably Fett's lovechild from a Jedi/Sith one nightstand. Then the kid was raised by Chewbacca.
    From the OP:
    But Maybe You Are Boba Fett
    The only interesting thing to maybe talk about is how Boba Fett used to go by "CT-1313" so maybe you play Boba Fett.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Plus, everyone's related in these games/movies/books.

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular

dem cameos

• PeffPeff Registered User regular
    My confusion is how do you make an Uncharted game with a character that (should) have a jetpack? Wouldn't they just go "LAWWWWWWL PLATFORMING" and boost to the top?

steam_sig.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Plus, everyone's related in these games/movies/books.

Yeah...my ladyfriend was talking to me about the expanded universe stuff because it came up for some reason and when she finished describing who's alive/had kids/etc. I could only reply with "So....what you're telling me is that everyone is pretty inbred now, right?"

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Just because you're a bounty hunter doesn't mean you're Boba Fett. Did anyone actually watch Empire? He wasn't the only one there, and none of the other guys had jet packs.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

When I play games it is because I wish to interact during my leisure time.

When I watch movies it is because I want to relax. I turn off the brain. I don't care that I can't interact in an interesting way. It doesn't matter. It's a different medium.

I get really annoyed with games that make me press buttons during cutscenes. I like to relax and watch the movie.

So I have game standards and movie standards. My standards of interesting gameplay have more to do with how well you can interact with different elements in the gameplay mechanics than anything like plot, story, or anything like that. I have no doubt I would love uncharted if it was a movie. When I do eventually get it I'm going to play it as if it is a movie where I have to press buttons occasionally.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Adda wrote: »

If this is the start of the game it could very well be that your character develops into that role. I love origins stuff as it really helps me enjoy the game rather than just being thrust into the role of Big-Dude 'Shooty' McInvincible and his power armour forged in fresh sarlacc belly juices.

Someone hasn't read the extended universe!

(I haven't either, besides 3 NJO books, he survived the pit somehow.)

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Just because you're a bounty hunter doesn't mean you're Boba Fett. Did anyone actually watch Empire? He wasn't the only one there, and none of the other guys had jet packs.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CT-1313

It's just a theory. And a pretty good one.
    Yeah...the "get out of the pit story" is kinda lulzy. We'll just leave it at that. It's part of a compilation of short stories of varying levels of fun.

Just got home and actually watched the trailer. Nothing too impressive gameplay wise but even a jaded asshole like myself has to say "hot damn that game is pretty."

wWuzwvJ.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I love Star Wars

I love Uncharted, though I have to say that I love the restrained feeling of the first game to the only-cool-one-time spectacle of the second. Best not to talk about the third game.

Cautiously optimistic about this.

Kadoken wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »

Someone hasn't read the extended universe!

Nah I know that :D

steam_sig.png
    I thought 1313 was just a code name for development that's just a nod towards Fett and bounty hunting. The guy in the demo didn't look like Fett at all. Speaking of short stories, the Boba Fett/Han Solo one in Tales of the Bounty Hunters is awesome.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Boba Fett's escape from the Sarlacc is not particularly complicated.

Because when you swallow a guy who is a walking arsenal of death with easy access to internal organs, that isn't going to end well for the predator.

Boba Fett's escape from the Sarlacc is not particularly complicated.

Because when you swallow a guy who is a walking arsenal of death with easy access to internal organs, that isn't going to end well for the predator.

Yeah, this is why you chew your food.

• Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    This game looks very very pretty, however, the gameplay they've shown looks supremely generic. All they've shown is shooting things from cover, I can do that in most any game, where is the interesting stuff? Where are the jet packs? Where are the flamethrower/missile launcher gauntlets? Where are the thermal detonators? Where are the knee-pads that shoot poison darts?

I enjoy Star Wars, but this will need more than a Star wars coat of paint to really entice me.

Ad astra on