Options

City of Steam (Upcoming Industrial Fantasy Browser MMO)

2»

• Options
    BobbybighoofBobbybighoof Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    OMG! I'm in lust with steampunk. Do you guys have more classes planned for the full release? I love that goblins are a playable race since I feel that they are a very misunderstood little guys.

List of all classes in the backstory

Arcanist
    Channeler
    Bard
    Berserker
    Exploer
    Gunner
    Mechanist
    Necrolyte
    Rouge
    Warder

Planned playable classes for the game release

Warder
    180px-Warder2.jpg
    Gunner
    180px-Gunner2.jpg
    Channeler
    180px-Channeler2.jpg
    Arcanist
    180px-Arcanist2.jpg

We can get more classes in the game on line as development progresses as these guys are very willing to put in what ever we want in if we want it all we need to do is just support it.

Bobbybighoof on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    [double post, Mod please remove.]

Bobbybighoof on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    CoS_Ethan wrote:
    546164_211360688975861_100003057930343_327384_1623783713_n.jpg

Okay, that is, admittedly, one of the coolest things I've seen.

• Options
    levest28levest28 Registered User new member
    edited June 2012
    Henroid wrote: »
    CoS_Ethan wrote:

And if you havn't already you can click HERE then click on the box to view the animated version of the world machine :D

Also if you like it THAT much, I made a screen saver of it and posted on the CoS forums here. Not to forget there's also an animated wallpaper version of it here aswell.

I guess you could say I'm quite a fan of the world machine ;)

levest28 on
    8n5wpru3ie.png
  • Options
    Cos_AndrewCos_Andrew Registered User regular
    OMG! I'm in lust with steampunk. Do you guys have more classes planned for the full release? I love that goblins are a playable race since I feel that they are a very misunderstood little guys.

Bobbybighoof got in there and explained it pretty well. So yes, for a full release we should be adding other planned classes but the focus is on balance and fun gameplay before adding in another to the mix.

In regards to the Goblins, you can hear how they became 'cute' in a dev blog post here: http://www.cityofsteam.com/art-dev-journal-2012-4-5

TL:DR - Miscommunication across language barriers that resulted in awesome

If you haven't already we love how goblin Yunk turned out in the CG animated short we made with another indie animation studio Big American Films.
    http://youtu.be/uTzwqR-w1BY

schmads wrote: »
    Thanks for the response about grouping, as that sounds just perfect!

So, this is an even more vague question, but how "direct" does the combat feel? For instance, in WoW, you go through the motions of attacking, the monster goes through the motions of attacking, but they never really feel connected. Most MMOs have this issue, and I assume a lot of it is to make the game more lenient when it comes to latency. The video looks good, for sure!

I can tell you that the most recent build I had there was some lag time (in the feel... never reaching full seconds) just based on server communication but it's already on the bug fix list for this sprint, so I don't want to make sweeping statements like "We're the best, better, best best..." well maybe until the issue is solved. Yes, we also have a couple tricks in their for latency but the feel is really getting there.

citizen059 wrote: »
    Sounds good. Unity is impressive as far as its potential for games, I'm always surprised by what good developers pull off.

My son and I play Super Hero Squad Online together, which is a Unity game, and it looks great at full settings.

So in regards to CoS - when it comes to your quests, be it from the main questline or optional sidequest-y stuff...will this be co-op friendly all the way through or are there going to be a lot of forced solo parts?

My son and I play through a lot of games together, so if he and I are both playing this and we have the same quest, can I safely assume that if we go in as a group we can complete our objectives together?

It seems like a very basic question, but we've come across a few games here and there where in a simple "Go kill 10 BoringBots" scenario our kill counts don't match up if we're too far apart, or if the moon is in the wrong phase, or whatever. And of course the forced solo parts as mentioned in the question.

I guess I can answer this in this manner: Yesterday a few of us teamed up to test out a quest and it all seems to be running smooth so quests will be fine in groups. To be honest I'm not sure if there are quests that will FORCE you to solo but I'll ask the Content dev guys as soon as we get into work. As an early statement though... yes it seems co-op friendly but I'll get back to you. I can assure you that we'll do our best in matching up kill counts as that just sounds sloppy ha.
    Absolutely, which is why I use plugins to handle the UI instead of using the built-in components. It's almost a must for mobile development, since the Unity UI results in far too many draw calls. But although it can be frustrating, I think the benefits greatly outweigh any hassles. Being able to write a fully-3D title that runs in a browser (and COULD run on most other platforms) is pretty cool. Best of luck to you guys!

I know that we've flopped back and forth pretty often and using other solutions. I believe at the moment we found a pretty good work-around to use the Unity UI well but I'll confirm that as with the previous question.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Alright, I'll bite.

Since you're using our forum as your advertising platform, do we get anything out of it? A better shot at alpha or beta?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Alright, I'll bite.

Since you're using our forum as your advertising platform, do we get anything out of it? A better shot at alpha or beta?

Anyone who signs up to our newsletter will have priority for Alpha keys and we encourage players to give feedback. City of Steam is a game created and developed through a lot of community involvement and so we were hoping followers of Penny Arcade will join in on the fun. Although, I'm new to the forum, I've been following the comic for years. If you have any questions, I'm here to respond to them.

You can sign up by heading to our site: http://www.cityofsteam.com and the Steamtoiler would be happy to receive!

Talked to a guy in Content and at the moment the tools allow for forced solo or even a certain number to partake so some quests will be set to a certain number but the content is massive.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Cos_Andrew wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Can we dye our armor? Will you be putting in some kind of bulky Steampunk power armor like Warhammer 40,000, but steam?

For the alpha release players won't be able to 'dye' armor but the armor is already highly customizable as players wear 6 different parts and nothing stops one from mix and matching different types. Each piece can be upgraded as well similar to our socket system for weapons that we just posted about here

A look at that in game:
    CoS-2012-05-23-Upgraded-Weps-1A_5.gif
    This is a look at a ridiculously uber upgraded amazing sword. Each new socket that a player adds on and gets that new component tells you more about it though, is it fast? Is it slow but damaging? Up to you.

You can see some of the modelled armors we've been working on from concepts here. For example:

old_new2.png

Is there a guild system?
    Yes, there is a guild system as well as a higher-level faction system that will add a lot of high-level content so that no one is bored at the end of the bulk of content. One of the advantages we have with City of Steam and how it is delivered is that we can add things whenever we want so nobody will have to wait for that patch to install and fail.

Will you be extending the number of moves in your combat animations?

If by this you are referring to a larger variety so that it doesn't seem so repetitive, yes we are.
    Can we duel our friends?

Of course! City of Steam will have a quite fun PvP system that we are working to balance right now. For the Alpha release don't expect to be fighting hordes of your friends but 1v1 for sure! In the future there will definitely be Guild competitions, faction wars, etc.
    Can we ride or own Zeppelins?
    Later game content! They are definitely cool.

What sort of fast travel is there in the game if any at all?
    To go between suburbs players can take the Railhauler (train) as well as Mythhubs (teleportation) as long as you've accessed that region.

Will there be player homes?

We've always wanted to do player housing unfortunately we've pushed it back from the Alpha version and at this point have pretty much determined it won't be in a Beta release either because we were reaching too high. We polled our fans and players at the time and the general idea was pushing it back until we could spend real time on it and not rush it out the door was the best thing to do.
    If you wanted to see what we were thinking you can check out the dev journal with the interactive Unity project in there to explore it: http://www.cityofsteam.com/design-dev-journal-2012-01-10

Love the answers, thanks.

Hmm, I have one more question. Is there a vulgar word filter, and if there is, how can I turn it off?

Edit: According to that short If there's three things that fulfill my steampunk needs, it's gears, steam, and the Colonel.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    We were actually debating this the other day. While some filtering should occur for some of the worst types( racism, etc.) it's not great to cut back on everything. We wrote out a pretty lenient list and we'll go from there. I think these type of things have to evolve with the community.

• Options
    CoS_EthanCoS_Ethan Gamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    CoS_Ethan wrote:

Yeah, the animated Unity Project is one of our coolest creations. Be sure to look into the background stories and offer us your brilliant thoughts, we do respect every single piece of feedback from the players. :)

CoS_Ethan on
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Speaking again of the Goblin, thought I'd add this geeky joke we came up with.
    2kHWh.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the original post's picture size!

Cos_Andrew on
  • Options
    CoS_Ethan wrote:

Yes I agree this world and the back story to it is one of the most original and innovative aspects of this game. It allows the game to break out of the standard steam punk genre and enter into its own aspect and way of being like the next phase of steam punk. The potential of this progressing into a "world of steam" game is very profound, and fun to be a part of from a supporters point of view.

• Options
    Through the recent interest in our goblin race we just wrote up a dev journal about them and their background.

http://www.cityofsteam.com/content-dev-journal-–-goblins-their-families

• Options
    levest28levest28 Registered User new member
    Haha. Love it Andrew :P More info to be added to the wiki for sure!

8n5wpru3ie.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Embracing the big Goblin families and seclusive Draug in the new content dev journals. Quick looks:
    Unity-Web-Player-WebPlayer-Google-Chrome_2012-06-13_11-02-13_S1.jpg
    Unity-Web-Player-WebPlayer-Google-Chrome_2012-06-18_17-49-44.jpg

CoS_Ethan on
    City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!
  • Options
    New alpha gameplay trailer rolled out!

http://youtu.be/aRR6ENSr780

• Options
    The first alpha weekend is a grand success (http://www.cityofsteam.com/we-wrapped-up-an-epic-human-debut-weekend), now we are approaching the second alpha weekend starting on 27th. More content will be available in this weekend, including new races like Draug and Riven. We will release a list of fixed-bugs and new features as well. We'll look forward to meeting you this Friday.

• Options
    Eony321vEony321v Registered User regular
    Looks very nice! Good luck guys !

Banner.png
  • Options
    Eony321v wrote: »
    Looks very nice! Good luck guys !
    Thanks!! We will open The Refuge gate again on 27th and we all look forward to seeing more players this time. :)

• Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Missed out on the Alpha Test last weekend! Dedicating myself to this game this weekend! Doesn't start till Saturday eastern time? Can't wait!!!!!

sliver911 on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    sliver911 wrote: »
    Missed out on the Alpha Test last weekend! Dedicating myself to this game this weekend! Doesn't start till Saturday eastern time? Can't wait!!!!!
    PDT is the standard time for starting the Alpha test, it should work for Beta too.

CoS_Ethan on
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    After discreet consideration, we finally announced that Alpha Collaborator Packs for Alpha are coming to a close, so if you want to help us out and get some unique and neat swag/items, check out our packs before September 13rd, the day we wrap up the Collaborator Packs!

CoS_Ethan on
  • Options
    We just put up some new dev journals, here's your chance to get a closer look at some cool Ratling animations in Unity and backstories of these charming but manipulative Rivens and a wrapup for all available classes in City of Steam now! Any thoughts to share after reading?

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Check out a funny little video (in the OP) we made while stressed-out over getting City of Steam Beta ready. Feel free to leave us a comment, too! As always, keep an eye on our Dev Journals for latest development progress we've made, and share your thoughts. Beta should be rearing its head out sometime in November.

CoS_Ethan on
  • Options
    Hi everyone, just wanted to drop by and remind you that we've launched City of Steam Closed Beta about 2 days ago, if you're interested in joining in, check out our partners, they might still have a few keys left to give out.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Are people looking for a code for this beta?

I have one I can't use.

• Options
    Still looking for Holiday Gifts? Our Toiler might have something you might like. Also, we've prepared all Beta testers some awesome game stuff in Winter Festival, so be sure to check it out and get yours. Happy holidays and enjoy the final Closed Beta Test later today!

• Options
    edited December 2012
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Are people looking for a code for this beta?

I have one I can't use.
    It should work as all keys are applicable for the whole Beta phases. Where did you get your key then?

CoS_Ethan on
  • Options
    Gates of CBT finally closed, but don't slacken off guys, Beta will be coming up soon, along with more new features and content, stay tuned!

• Options
    Hi everyone, check out our latest dev journal for PAX preparations and more. :P

• Options
    Thanks to brilliant support from the players, City of Steam finally achieved its greenlight success, check the full announcement we just released for more details. :D

• Options
    Many updates for City of Steam recently! But here we got a big one - we announced the release date for "early admission" Beta. The full announcement can be found here: http://cos.r2games.com/news/view/?id=1835 Feel free to share this around!

• Options
    City of Steam is now open! Are you ready to play? Go here and start your journey into Nexus right now!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    It feels like a shadow of what it was in alpha, sadly.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy