As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gotta explore that [Krater]: We're all waiting for co-op

Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
key-art_v2_0.jpg

So Krater. It's a game developed by a small Swedish development company called Fatshark.
They've made some pretty fun and great games. Such as Lead and Gold, Bionic Commando, Hamiltons Great Adventure, and War of the Roses. In fact that's all the games they've made, and all of them are pretty fun. It's safe to say they make good games.

But Krater, this game is crazy. It's a mix of Baulder's Gate, Syndicate, Fallout (1 and/or 2), X-com, Diablo 2, and Borderlands. You control a squad of three follows named "Freediggers" who are out to explore...you guessed it, the Krater.

In a post-apocalyptic Sweden, there's a big hole in the ground. Around this has sprung up the little world you'll explore with your Freediggers. There are a reported 60 uniquely designed locations and 200+ quests. Which is a lot of quests. More than Skyrim. Although you might have to kill some mutant dogs, since there is an achievement for it.

There's also some game mechanics you might be interested in. Your little team of adventurers can be rotated in and out as you recruit any number of slightly different guys. There are four different classes to mix and match with to build the perfect squad for your play style. Each character has two skills related to their class, which then builds up your "skill bar" of six skills. There is a reported 60 total skills, with the intent on patching in more later.

"Boy, 60 skills seems like a lot. How will I decide?"
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Because not only will you have to find the six skills that resonate with you, but then you can alter those skills. Each active ability has eight "boost" slots that you drop in items to alter how they work. Some boosts will allow a skill to heal it's user. Others will increase the damage. Yet others can change the entire skill into a stun, or a snare. Some will let you turn abilities into lingering effects like buffs or debuffs. It's a pretty flexible system that allows for several million permutations of what your skill bar will look like and do.

"Well that's neat, what else?" Oh, everything is craftable. Everything. From the lowly starter pistol to the most powerful item, everything is craftable. Not only are you hunting down powerful complete items, but you're also collecting crafting material that will let you build anything from weapons, to gadgets, to skills and boosts themselves. Oh, and the ingredients you use will alter the end result. If you use the Silver Toilet Seat to build a gun, as opposed to the Copper Toilet Seat you have, the gun might do frost damage (it would have done corrosive damage if you'd used copper...I guess?). This applies to the skills too. Changing ingredients can alter the base skill as you craft it. Crafting has depth.

"Well, that sounds grand, I'm excited to set off with my dystopian adventurers!" Not so fast. See this game comes from some guys who apparently liked the harsh mechanics of the classic games. Every time one of your party members dies, he will slowly accrue injuries. Such as broken legs and missing eyeballs. These injuries will have a dramatic effect on that character. He'll start to move slower, and attack less accurately. Eventually, once enough injuries are gained, the character will just die when they fall in combat. Permanent death is a headline feature of this game. Just like in the games this is based upon, you're going to need to play with tactics in mind. Not just running forward knowing you'll just resurrect if something goes bad. You might need to think about certain fights and how to approach them. Unless you like replacing your party members after every dungeon crawl.

"...What else?" Online Co-op releases for free on July 10th, singleplayer progress will transfer into the online section. The developer wants to release "episodic expansions" over the next year, it's indicated these will be free for owners of Krater, or reduced cost. The "end game dungeon" is a bottomless randomly generated dungeon for all your grinding joy. Difficulty ramps up the deeper you go, but so do the rewards. Meaning in co-op we'll all be trying to push deeper and deeper, hoping to wake the Swedish Post-Apocalyptic Balrog.

It's $14.99 on Steam right now, with a free upgrade for the first DLC character (a rad reanimated brain in a 1950's era space suit) and the soundtrack. Oh you also get the beta client if you buy on Steam.

It releases June 12th.

You can also buy it here. If you don't want to use Steam.
Just to post a correction, buying from their website gets you a key. So yes, you can buy it for 11.99$ from their website and still play the Steam beta and so on and so forth.

So, 12$! Now even more reason to pick this up!

Screenshots:
2AEC1E4DF2E79CD3AB3A4C8808EA37AC8CE1A5FA
55209FE686FD203F1BA6CB6536699969AAD591CF
5245EA2BB3D6E12AC4A65F371C0C32197630B420

Information! If you have something to contribute, PM me or just post it...I'm pretty vigilant.
Looking for a specific kind of crew member? Here's a list of cities, and what their recruitment officer usually has in stock:
Westerfall - Some T1, mostly T1. All green.
Trollberga - All T2, 90% green, usually a couple blues
Solside - 50/50 T1 and T2, all blue
Elmerhult - All T1, mostly green...some gray
Hesselby - T1, very few T2, 50/50 green and gray

Gray is max level 5
Green is max level 10
Blue is max level 15
Purple is rare/unique.
Madpanda wrote: »
Tried the Rats cave, not that bad, good for mid/low rank grinding. For a bit better try out Alan's tunnels next to the city way west. ~4 floors, roughly 11k in loot per run not counting a decent amount of mats. Also gotten a few underworld weapon parts. But the main advantage is the city its at has a full set of merchants for crafting mats that you can just buy out and then exit game. Makes it easy to rank up and gear a new charachter. I took my medicus and 2 regulators and just mowed down everything with attack move. 3 runs the new regulator had full level 4 stat runes and I upgraded the last of my bruisers fill in runes.

Anon the Felon on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I was sold on Post Apocalyptic Sweden. Currently playing the Public Beta Test. Boy, is it buggy! On one playthrough, my cursor appeared on my right monitor but my gameplay was on the left monitor. Clicks affected BOTH monitors, so I was moving desktop elements as I was playing with a cursor I couldn't see.

I actually found the 3 character thing a bit unwieldy, like playing Raid Leader on iOS (almost exactly like Raid Leader, actually). It probably could have worked just as well or better with a single character with more diverse abilities. I'm more looking forward to the co-op, where hopefully I'll only have to deal with a single character and yell at my friends.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    That's strange, I didn't have any bugs like that. I have read though, that the beta build we're playing isn't exactly up to what's about to be released. It seems that they have let the external beta languish as they finished squashing all the bugs they could, and just haven't updated it in anticipation of the release.

I have played some of their other games, and these guys tend to polish their games. So let's hope the release client has issues like yours fixed.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    That's strange, I didn't have any bugs like that. I have read though, that the beta build we're playing isn't exactly up to what's about to be released. It seems that they have let the external beta languish as they finished squashing all the bugs they could, and just haven't updated it in anticipation of the release.

I have played some of their other games, and these guys tend to polish their games. So let's hope the release client has issues like yours fixed.
    I'm 100% sure it won't be as buggy on release. This is the Public Beta Test based on an older build that they used. It doesn't even have flavor text for most of the items in the game, with placeholders like <big_stick_001> and the like.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Love the flavor. I need to play more than 20 minutes to see if I can get the hang of controlling three characters well enough.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Freaking cool, I'm buying now.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, is there any way to Promote your characters? Or when a grey character hits 5/5, are you simply required to hire a green 0/10? and level him up again, and so on and so forth?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Just to post a correction, buying from their website gets you a key. So yes, you can buy it for 11.99$ from their website and still play the Steam beta and so on and so forth.

So, 12$! Now even more reason to pick this up!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, is there any way to Promote your characters? Or when a grey character hits 5/5, are you simply required to hire a green 0/10? and level him up again, and so on and so forth?

I vaguely recall seeing this very topic on their official forums. It was such a hugely requested feature that they do have promotion/removed the level caps on characters. So if you're good, you can keep the same dude for the entire game.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Does it run like crap on anyone else's system?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Yeah, I blame it on the DX11 things (Which you can barely even see since its a top/down arpg.) that you can't disable yet.

Which is dumb.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I am having no such issue...it runs beautifully in a window...

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I have the beta too and the game is super awesome but I really hate the three characters as well. It just feels messy. That won't stop me from playing the heck out of it when the full release launches.

• Options
    Dunno, running it at 1080 fullscreen and it has the occasional stutter or audio glitch.

Which is odd, because I can, indeed, run crysis just fine. Or Metro.

I figure maybe it just doesnt like my drivers, but I havent felt like fiddling.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    What is this? Is it Diablo? Is it DoW2?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    It's a mix of Baulder's Gate, Syndicate, Fallout (1 and/or 2), X-com, Diablo 2, and Borderlands.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It plays a lot like DoW2 with more rpg aspects, a ton of crafting, and a Fallout/BG type overmap. (Where you can get random enconters travelling).

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Post apotalyptic Sweden? o_O

"Well looks like the world has ended, but at least our women are still the height of psychical perfection so it's not all bad."

Game sounds pretty sweet though.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    As a Swede I'm highly amused by the names on the map. (Just like Magicka had me in stitches with its almost-Swedish.)

• Options
    Well, the Studio is Swedish so why not? I lived in Sweden for two years so I'm thrilled with the setting. I'm hoping I get to go to Arvidsjaur.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

It does have DoW2 elements. But I wouldn't really draw a parallel to it. Lots of other games have chunky graphics in an isometric view. Like Syndicate, and BG, and Diablo.

I mean, if comparing it to DoW2 helps you like it? Then compare away. But for me, I just don't see it.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Anyone else get a "Visual C++ needs updated" type error on install? Why isn't my windows update already making this happen?

• Options
    Today the Public Test Beta ends, release on Tuesday the 12th!

Make sure you get in whatever testing you want before they shut it down. I know my client is updating via Steam right now.

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Anyone else get a "Visual C++ needs updated" type error on install? Why isn't my windows update already making this happen?

I'm getting this as well...not sure

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Spent some more time with the game last night and I'm definitely feeling it more. Wish the camera was angled down a little more, and when it's safe to exit out if the game without losing progress is frustratingly opaque. But I was able to manage the squad reasonably well with the abilities keyed to 1-6.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Kilroy_89Kilroy_89 I was hereRegistered User regular
    Played the beta for a few hours. Loved what I saw.
    Prepurchased. Can't wait ;P

• Options
    After spending a few hours playing the updated beta yesterday...

Holy shit, this is an exciting game. I haven't been this excited about a video game in a while.

• Options
    After spending a few hours playing the updated beta yesterday...

Holy shit, this is an exciting game. I haven't been this excited about a video game in a while.

Did they change anything in particular?

• Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    This game should work out well in multiplayer. It seems a bit more 'flat', where even a new person has something to contribute to a fight, instead of someone being useless just because of their level. One thing that kinda sucks with Torchlight is that if you aren't similar levels to your friend things just don't work and you can't really play together.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I bought this game after seeing some descriptions, and videos. It looks amazing. I played the test build and it looked really really rough. I am hoping the sound/graphic/stuttering glitches get cleaned up before release.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I bought this game after seeing some descriptions, and videos. It looks amazing. I played the test build and it looked really really rough. I am hoping the sound/graphic/stuttering glitches get cleaned up before release.

Pretty sure they will be. Their other games had a good level of polish, while betas were rough.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention. People complain that there aren't any old school RPGs anymore and that games are too modernized, and this game scratches that itch really well. I think people are just addicted to nostalgia.

Anyway, this game is great. I'm excited to see new stuff upon release and what the co-op will be like.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    The only reason I haven't bought it is how rough it looked in the beta. They're going to have to deploy some big patches to bring it up to polished released state.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    The only reason I haven't bought it is how rough it looked in the beta. They're going to have to deploy some big patches to bring it up to polished released state.

It's going to release, and the price will go up (I have no evidence to back this claim up, it is entirely fabricated by me), and we'll start talking about how perfect and polished it is. And then won't you be sad!

(Don't be sad.)

• Options
    This goes live in 2 hours. I am pretty stoked to start my non-beta crew.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I can't wait to get home and play this. I'm a little torn though, new map pack for BF3 today too. Do I want to shoot mans or shoot irradiated mans?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I just picked this up so I will be playing this

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    Anon, has your Steam Library updated yet? I just have the grey-ed out options for the pre-order, as well as the Public tests. I've restarted Steam a few times and nada. I'm guessing once the flip is switched all of hese will be updated real-time.

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    IDDQD wrote: »
    Anon, has your Steam Library updated yet? I just have the grey-ed out options for the pre-order, as well as the Public tests. I've restarted Steam a few times and nada. I'm guessing once the flip is switched all of hese will be updated real-time.

Yeah, I still have just blank boxes. Steam usually does this, it sits until the last minute.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I've been waiting for someone to make a game like this (BG + Fallout + Diablo).

Hopefully it isn't as buggy as BG and Fallout combined.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Aaah. So many games today. Gravity Rush is out for delivery, nathanael was awesome and hooked me up with LBP Vita beta, and this drops too.

Too much to plaaay.