As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So hey, Tiger Woods '07 Wii is out: impressions inside!

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
(aka, ITT Lunker secretly regrets buying Super Swing Golf)

934378_20070307_screen001.jpg
934378_20070307_screen003.jpg

Video/interview with EA on the 1up Show on ESPN

So unbeknownst to me, apparently Gamestop has Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07 for the Wii coming out next week! I'm a pretty big golf-gaming whore. I bought Super Swing Golf at launch, and it's pretty solid but it was really only a stopgap measure to me; my heart belongs to Tiger. <3 I'll still probably hold off on this until there's a version with online play, but I won't pretend I'm not jealous.

I've the feeling that this could be a big sleeper hit with all of those golfer dads who sunk hours into Wii Sports golf. I've been watching some more videos of it and reading up on the controls, and it seems like it's really shaping up. 1up's updated preview from the end of February seems very optimistic about the controls, and Gamespot's preview seemed promising:
Before taking your shot, you can hit the minus button to step off the ball and take a practice swing. We found this to be a very helpful feature for getting a feel of just how hard you need to swing to put the ball where you want it to go. After you've taken enough practice swings, you can press the minus button again to square up to the ball. From here, you simply pull the Wii Remote back and then swing it forward like you would with a golf club. While the ball is in the air, you can shake the remote while holding a direction on the D pad to put spin on the ball. The button-mashing power boost has been removed and is instead incorporated into the swing. As a result, you can perform a moderate swing to get 100 percent power, but if you swing extra hard, you can get a boost all the way up to 110 percent power.

Earning those eagles and birdies isn't quite as simple as just swinging the remote, though. You have to be careful of how you hold the remote when you swing. For a straight shot, you'll want to hold the remote so the buttons are facing up toward you, but if you want to put a draw or a fade on the ball, you can tilt the remote left or right while swinging. If you intend to curve your shot around obstacles, this can be quite useful, but it can also cause problems if you do it unintentionally. We noticed that when we got too hasty with our swing, it was easy to slice or shank the ball off into the deep rough or into a bunker.

Putting is slightly more delicate, because you're dealing in measurements of inches rather than yards. You can adjust your aim with the D pad and take all the practice swings that you need. Once you're ready, you simply pull back the remote a short distance (less than a foot for most putts) and then swing it forward. The putting takes a bit more getting used to than the approach and tee shots, but we were able to sink some 20- and 30-foot putts without much difficulty. Of course, we were playing on some of the more forgiving greens the game has to offer.

Despite the subtle nuances of the swing in Tiger Woods 07, we found it to be relatively easy. The version we were playing was understandably running on a lower difficulty setting to allow newcomers to get used to the basic mechanics, but we found that we were able to sink eagles and birdies within just a few minutes of picking up the remote. There is an option to adjust the difficulty in the game, though, so if you're looking for a break or a steeper challenge, you'll be able to find it.

The game has 18 different courses (a good deal more than the PS3/360 versions, FYI), 35 golfers and the wonderfully OCD-enabling GameFace system, which lets you make your own golfer with dozens upon dozens of variables for appearance -- everything from height and hair color to angle and size of your nose, shape of your eyelids and degree of jawbone and forehead protrusion. (I am not joking in the least.) But it's the controls that have me the most interested in the game.

Anyone else looking forward to rocking some Tiger? Among my group of friends, Tiger is a strangely fixating experience; a friend of mine who moved to Texas is actually trying to procure a used PS2 specifically to play Tiger '06 with me and another friend of ours. There is nothing finer than shit-talking your buddies over drinks while on the links. Still, I think I'm going to wait on it, personally; I have Super Swing Golf, and that'll tide me over until the next version for Wii, which will refine any potential complaints about the controls and hopefully add online play!

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    RealityReality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah, I've been eagerly anticipating Tiger 07. Haven't ever bought a Tiger game before cause I'm not so much into video game golf, but now with the wiimote actually simulating the experience I've got a feeling I could really dig into this version.

Online multiplayer is sorely missed as this is the first time in 20 years my father (and my mother actually) and I own the same system with the same interest in games...

Any word on DLC?

Reality on
  • Options
    Elessar ElfstoneElessar Elfstone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This game will prolly make me dust off the Wii, she's been cold for a couple weeks now.

I know it will be awesome for sat night + drinks + friends

Elessar Elfstone on
    Tobias: Or it could be your colon. I'd want to get in there and find some answers.

Forsake, Warlock of Stonemaul
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thinking about the controls I mentioned in the other thread... I wonder how much thought and effort EA put into the controls for this game? Golf (as well as tennis) really lends itself to the Wii but if this is just a port of a GC/PS2/etc... game with the Wii controls substituted for a button push it could be less than great.

As I said before, I think I may hold out until next year...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Reality wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I've been eagerly anticipating Tiger 07. Haven't ever bought a Tiger game before cause I'm not so much into video game golf, but now with the wiimote actually simulating the experience I've got a feeling I could really dig into this version.

Online multiplayer is sorely missed as this is the first time in 20 years my father (and my mother actually) and I own the same system with the same interest in games...

Any word on DLC?
    Yeah, I'm kind of bummed about lack of online play, too, but I'm hoping that will be remedied by the time the next version rolls around. The theoretical online Tiger Woods
    was part of the package that got a friend of mine to buy his Wii. ;)

But DLC? Don't think that's really par for the course (ha!) for Wii online games. It's worth noting that the Wii version apparently has more courses and golfers than either the PS3 or 360 versions, which you apparently had to pay extra for ...? I'm not certain about that, but I remember there being a large hubbub about the DLC in the 360 version at least.
    Tw4win wrote:
    Thinking about the controls I mentioned in the other thread... I wonder how much thought and effort EA put into the controls for this game? Golf (as well as tennis) really lends itself to the Wii but if this is just a port of a GC/PS2/etc... game with the Wii controls substituted for a button push it could be less than great.

As I said before, I think I may hold out until next year...
    For what it's worth, SSX Blur seemed like a very similar situation, where they reused assets from the previous version but spent all of the development time in the controls. And the controls in SSX Blur blow me away by how great they are.

I'd wager that reviews for this title will be across the map as far as controls; some will say they're awesome, some will say they suck.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RealityReality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    True. I knew DLC was asking too much, but I thought just maybe they'd throw somethin even tiny in there, like shirts or clubs or something.

It'd be nice if I at least had the ability to transfer my golfer and whatnot to my remote ala Mii-style to take it to friends houses. Even if it would just zap my golfer (mii parade) to my friends, that'd be neat.

Eh, either way I'm pickin it up. I've got faith from what I've read that the controls pretty much do what they're supposed to.

Reality on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Since Mario Party got pushed back, this might just be my next purchase. It depends on how well it reviews though, cause from what I gathered through the previews, there may be some issues with putting/swinging. Hopefully it will work out and be a decent game. I wasnt too big a fan off Wii Sports golf because it seemed too hard to reproduce the same swing, and it was very hard to putt.

I am hoping for the best because I kinda want this to be a pretty decent golf simulator. We will see if it actually improves my game :lol::lol:

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That looks pretty ugly man.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    It looks a lot better in the newer videos. I've learned that Nintendo systems just don't take good screenshots.

Lunker on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    It looks a lot better in the newer videos. I've learned that Nintendo systems just don't take good screenshots.

trudat'

LewieP on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've the feeling that this could be a big sleeper hit with all of those golfer dads who sunk hours into Wii Sports golf.

This is exactly the reason I'm buying this for my Dad for his birthday on the 21st. He loved Wii Golf, but his main complaint was that it was too simple and there weren't enough courses. This'll certainly cheer him up; I don't think he knows it's out yet.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This will be glorious! The first time I played Wii Sports golf, I was praying for Tiger Woods to hit. This shall be the second game I buy.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I AM ALL FUCKING OVER THIS

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Phoenix Down!

Gamespot's review is up:
    The Good: Swinging the Wii remote like a golf club isn't perfect, but works very well; good number of courses and golfers; "true aiming" adds to the game's realism without making it too hard.
    The Bad: Visuals aren't easy on the eyes; online play is missed; instruction manual does a poor job explaining controls and game modes.

And 1up's is, too:
    Still, Tiger's swing system isn't perfect. We're fine with a sloppy Wii Remote backswing resulting in nasty hooks or knifing slices -- that's ultimately correctable. But problems arise if there's even a touch of arthritis when you pull back to strike the ball. On occasion, when you go for full power, you'll swing before intended -- the maddening result is often a dink instead of a drive. The irony is that when you want to hit a shot with reduced power, you'll be as inconsistent as John Daly's sobriety. The main reason: There's no meter anywhere in the game. While practice makes perfect on drives and long shots, the lack of a meter adds strokes in the short game. Putting is made supremely difficult without any power indicator, and that leads to profanity-laced tirades well after you understand the mechanic.

In the end, the real courses, the pace of play, the new One Ball mode (a multiplayer mode where two players trade shots on the same ball, trying to sabotage each other so they can make the final winning putt), and the "grown-up" factor make this worth a play for any golf enthusiast. The control hiccups may cause problems, but most of them can be countered with care. But the biggest bonus: Not once will you see starlight dancing off the ball.

The game looks really solid. I could give a toss about the graphics, so long as they're at least the same as the PS2 versions I've been playing, but reviews on the controls actually seem overall positive, which is the core component I'm sure a lot are worried about. I'm still holding off, but I'll definitely borrow it/rent it someday soon. Anyone else picking it up?

Lunker on
  • Options
    ShadowoftheKatamariShadowoftheKatamari Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm all for an awesome golf game for the Wii that has more features than Wii Sports golf, but after seeing how awful the controls were for Super Swing Golf, I just don't know.

ShadowoftheKatamari on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gamespot wrote:
    The Bad: Visuals aren't easy on the eyes

Man what. Why do I increasingly get the feeling I'm completely out of touch with the graphical expectations placed on games?

I don't see anything to complain about.

I think I'm pretty much buying this. It'll be the first EA sports title I've ever purchased.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm all for an awesome golf game for the Wii that has more features than Wii Sports golf, but after seeing how awful the controls were for Super Swing Golf, I just don't know.
    You didn't like them? I thought the controls were really good for SSG, it's just the slow gameplay and the frame-rate issues that I don't really dig.

The game controls here seem a lot more like Wii Golf than SSG, as far as gauging power and such.

Lunker on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You didn't like them? I thought the controls were really good for SSG, it's just the slow gameplay and the frame-rate issues that I don't really dig.

The game controls here seem a lot more like Wii Golf than SSG, as far as gauging power and such.
    I rented Super Swing Golf, and while I did like the game, I couldn't stand the Wii controls, and playing a golf game on the Wii with buttons does not compute.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    OhioOhio Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Exactly how bad (or should I say "dated") do a Wii game's graphics have to be before the people on this board will admit a bit of disappointment?

You'd be happy to settle for PS2 level graphics? Why? Then the only difference between this game and the one released on the PS2 is the control mechanics, which from the reviews sound pretty spotty.

The controls aren't great but they can be "gotten used to" and worked around after a good amount of play? Who wants that?

There's no online anything, but it's ok, it's the Wii.

I have to laugh when people say stuff like "online play equals a day 1 purchase from me," as if online play should be the exception and not the rule. On either of the other two next-gen consoles, online play is assumed and you don't wait through the development cycle of a game to see if the developers will throw you a bone by maybe letting you download a shirt or new club or something.

I don't understand how you Wii diehards are so blindly forgiving.

Ohio on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ohio wrote: »
    I don't understand how you're so willing to pigeonhole someone who's genuinely interested in one title as a blind fanboy. But hey, that's life, eh?

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm not blaming you for being interested. Hell I'd be interested in a Tiger Woods game that actually feels like I'm swinging a golf club, and actually looks like I'm at a real golf course.

But apparently, from the reviews, that's not exactly the way this game turned out. And a lot of people just make excuses for it.

And I think it's because it's on the Wii. And I think that's the situation for a lot of Wii games, specifically on this board.

Ohio on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    But apparently, from the reviews, that's not exactly the way this game turned out. And a lot of people just make excuses for it.

Or maybe lot of people don't care? This "you are fanboy" crap is getting fucking retarded, and used as a cheap excuse to bash others. What's really fucking wrong with you people?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Exactly how bad (or should I say "dated") do a Wii game's graphics have to be before the people on this board will admit a bit of disappointment?

You'd be happy to settle for PS2 level graphics? Why? Then the only difference between this game and the one released on the PS2 is the control mechanics, which from the reviews sound pretty spotty.

From what I've seen, the graphics are better than a PS2 game. If I wanted realistic, awesome graphics, I'd buy the game and load it on my PC. As it is, I want the control system and modes in the Wii game. There's no reason to own a XBox 360 or PS3 right now, they offer me very little that I don't already get from my PC. As a matter of fact, they offer me less because there's little to no modding, and fewer gaming genre choices.
    The controls aren't great but they can be "gotten used to" and worked around after a good amount of play? Who wants that?

A reviewer didn't like that there wasn't a meter... boo fucking hoo. I'll have to wait and see how it plays to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine.

I have to laugh when people say stuff like "online play equals a day 1 purchase from me," as if online play should be the exception and not the rule. On either of the other two next-gen consoles, online play is assumed and you don't wait through the development cycle of a game to see if the developers will throw you a bone by maybe letting you download a shirt or new club or something.

They'll be online stuff eventually, but I doubt I'll use it much anyway. The whole point of the Wii, to me at least, is having friends over and playing games together. It's a great party console, a lot of fun for gamers and non-gamers, and online play isn't nearly as important with it as it is with the other console offerings out there.

It seems like you've got your panties in a bunch over other people's tastes. Why the hell do you care if the graphics suck, the gameplay sucks, ect ect? Don't buy a Wii or Tiger Woods.

badpoet on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I don't understand why you're trolling.

I guess there's just some things we weren't meant to understand.

In any case, I'm looking forward to this game, and may in fact be interested in purchasing it. The reviews say the controls work pretty well, so I'll have to give it a shot, though I rather have Mario Golf (please). The lack of online play is a bit disconcerting, but considering that online play has never been a real "hook" for me (I have plenty of friends willing to trek to my house) it shouldn't be that big of a blow. It may seem a travesty to some, but the only real online gaming experience I have is the DS and now the Wii, so I don't have as many hang ups as others might.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And I think it's because it's on the Wii. And I think that's the situation for a lot of Wii games, specifically on this board.

Wow...seriously...you really mean it? Are you really not a troll or something?

Unbelievable...here's a man with a mission, guys - to let people in the board know something only doofuses don't- Wii has a lot of ports from PS2 or PSP games with Wii controls shoehorned in.

Oh my, thanks for stating the obvious - now please make your own thread about this incredible insight of yours and keep this thread on topic.

kthxbye

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    elkatas wrote: »

Or maybe lot of people don't care? This "you are fanboy" crap is getting fucking retarded, and used as a cheap excuse to bash others. What's really fucking wrong with you people?

Yeah, way to take the fun out of golf! Oh wait, golf did that. I want a "putt putt" game that is actually full swing golf for Wii. Ricochet off walls and windmills, have big tunnels and bumper towers that are in your way. That's what I'm talkin' bout, Willis!

Anyway, Ohio. It's apparently not FOR you. Don't complain because other people enjoy other things.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    (you see, I have actual "friends" that I can see and everything)
    These types of comments are just as bad as Ohio's graphics trolling. Just because I, or anyone else, want "online" play in my "game" so I can play with "people" over the "internet", doesn't mean I don't have "friends".

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm not trying to troll at all. You've all decided I don't own a Wii, I hate the Wii, I'm a 360 owner with no friends, etc. Perhaps I don't own a 360 or a PS3.

Clearly I've stepped over the line (i.e., I've spoken ill of the NINTENDO WII) and so I'll go back to lurking now.

Ohio on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    EA seems to be going the hardcore route with the Wii versions though - first with SSX Blur and now with Tiger Woods.

No power meter - so you really have to know your swing or your putt...seems kinda hard...

Any other reviews besides Gamepro or 1up's? I'm still on the fence on this one - I'd still like more reviews agreeing that the controls are spot on.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm not blaming you for being interested. Hell I'd be interested in a Tiger Woods game that actually feels like I'm swinging a golf club, and actually looks like I'm at a real golf course.

So, persecution complex? You're saying all these people are willing themselves to tolerate unenjoyable games solely for the sake of Internet forum bragging rights? I won't deny that fanboys on all sides are impervious to logic and reality, but you can't get far on the Internet without being able to subconsciously separate the wheat from the chaff.

The control impressions and reviews I've read all imply that it's tough to gauge power and keep it consistent because you're actually swinging the golf club. Which is perfectly acceptable. Power gauges weren't in Tiger Woods '05, which I played the shit out of and had no problems adjusting to. Putting was tough as well, but I didn't go crying about it; it's challenging because it forces you to read the green.

And graphics? I'm honestly fine with the level of graphical fidelity from the end of the last generation. Extra tree textures won't increase my enjoyment of the game (my main qualm with Tiger '07 on the PSP) enough to complain about it.

EDIT:
    Ohio wrote:
    Clearly I've stepped over the line (i.e., I've spoken ill of the NINTENDO WII) and so I'll go back to lurking now.
    You post with "You Wii die-hards are all the same" and then complain about being pigeonholed?

Lunker on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

You can only "admit disappointment" if you expected them to be better than that in the first place. Most people would probably expect this game to look the way it does, being an early Wii title, being an EA game etc. etc. I would only "admit disappointment" if the final Tiger Woods game on the Wii still looked like this.

The controls sound much better than the level you're trying to reduce them to. As Gamespot says, it isn't perfect but it works very well, which hardly sounds like something that needs "getting used to" and "working around.

I accept "no online anything" not because it's the Wii, but because I don't personally care about playing online, least of all in a golf game. I would accept it whether it was 360 or PS3. In fact I don't know why online play has to be assumed as a given anymore. You don't need online in every single game you play! In fact, that cheapens the online experience overall; instead of there being one online title that everybody plays, you have a lot games with miniscule communities that last for a month or two and fade out. Why bother?

The forgiving was already done a long time ago, we get what we expect at this point. I don't see how anyone could expect a Wii game three months into the console's life to look like a 360 game. Furthermore, I don't see why that could bother anyone as much as it seems to bother you.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    (you see, I have actual "friends" that I can see and everything)
    These types of comments are just as bad as Ohio's graphics trolling. Just because I, or anyone else, want "online" play in my "game" so I can play with "people" over the "internet", doesn't mean I don't have "friends".

That's not the way I intended it, but I can see how you inferred that, and I'm sorry. The main point was that online play has never been an issue for ME personally, because I never lack in local opponents. I did not mean to imply that anyone who enjoys online play is a friendless loser. In fact, the more I play people online, the more I like it, but I just don't consider it a selling point.

As far as the graphics not being as good, I'd much rather have Tiger Woods with (comparatively) worse graphics and fresh gameplay, than a new iteration with each blade of grass faithfully rendered, but with the same old swing meter.

Nickle on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not trying to troll at all. You've all decided I don't own a Wii, I hate the Wii, I'm a 360 owner with no friends, etc. Perhaps I don't own a 360 or a PS3.

Watch out everybody. Martyr coming through.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Uh... everyone who has something to say to Ohio would probably be better off making a thread about point and counterpoint on ported games in Wii.

Or even better, make a sticky on how PAers already know ported games on Wii are ugly and icky and all that - so no one derails the thread again.

So uh....any other reviews of the control besides 1up or gamepro's?

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    So uh....any other reviews of the control besides 1up or gamepro's?

Ngamer's, but their review is extremely suspicious. Written two months before game was released, extremely vague.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    EA seems to be going the hardcore route with the Wii versions though - first with SSX Blur and now with Tiger Woods.

No power meter - so you really have to know your swing or your putt...seems kinda hard...

Any other reviews besides Gamepro or 1up's? I'm still on the fence on this one - I'd still like more reviews agreeing that the controls are spot on.
    Like I mentioned before, Tiger '05 didn't have a power meter; I forget if '06 did. Tiger '07 for the PSP does have one and allows you to toggle it off and on. I've kept it for now because I'm still learning to use the analog nub, but I plan on shutting it off as soon as possible.

Tiger '05 was really challenging. In Pro difficulty, you couldn't add spin when hitting from anything other than the tee/fairway, and on the green you had no assistance from the caddy (who would normally tell you "aim 5 inches left, 2 feet long of the hole"). Your only guide was a camera-zoom that hinted at the proper turn, and a small meter that showed you the trajectory of a dead-on aim at the hole. It required you to really know how to read a green to hit a putt, which was oh-so-satisfying when you did sink one.

tl;dr -- Reports of a learning curve with the swing suit me fine. As you can tell, Tiger Woods is one of my deep nerd obsessions.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Don't mind my stupid ass, just found some more reviews from gamerankings.com

EDIT: I've never actually played any old iteration of Tiger Woods, so my only experience with golf games are the Wii's golf games, ie. Wii Golf and SSG. So I guess Tiger Woods golf has always been hardcore.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Maybe the Wii control isn't as bad as I made it, but I think the Wii controller has to be perfect or it's a failure. That's the kind of situation Nintendo has set themselves up for. The commercial shows Tiger Woods in his living room, swinging the controller exactly as if it were his golf club. This is what the commercial shows, and so this is how I assume it works. And this is the kind of control Nintendo told us about when they announced the controller. If it doesn't feel like swinging a golf club, then in my opinion it's not worth bothering with.

And furthermore, I do have friends, but some of them don't live in the same town or even the same state as I do. It would be really cool to play golf with them online.

Don't automatically assume that I hate the Wii. A real golf game that felt like playing real golf would be really cool, on any system. The Wii has the best chance to achieve this because of its controller.

Ohio on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dude....please...Ohio, for the love of god and all that's holy...please make your own thread about the flaws of the Wii so anyone who desires, can point and counterpoint to your brilliant deductive argument.

We in this thread just want to talk about Tiger Woods golf and not the overall pros/flaws of Wii.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Don't automatically assume that I hate the Wii. A real golf game that felt like playing real golf would be really cool, on any system. The Wii has the best chance to achieve this because of its controller.

Yes, but how real do you really want it? I don't think it would be really fun (or profitable for EA) if the game exactly copied your swing, down to the smallest detail, because I completely suck at golf in real life. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that concern. maybe they could include a "simulation" mode for the hard-core, but if it were real like that all the time, do you know anyone that could break par?

It would sell like 100 copies, all to PGA Tour pros.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    From the reviews I've read in Gamespot, 1up, Gamezone, and PGNx - they all seem to agree that the control isn't perfect although it's more user-friendly than Wii Golf's.

Although I'm not too hot on the changing the direction on the ball mid-air by using the D-pad and there's still some trouble, although rare, like the censor inaccurately recognising a swing.

I'll probably give this a rent first unless someone in here actually buys it and can tell us how it plays....pretty please?

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ