Options

So hey, Tiger Woods '07 Wii is out: impressions inside!

• Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At this point when they say "the controls aren't perfect, but they work well" that's a sign that I'll love them. After reading reviews of Sonic and SSX Blur that bashed the controls, which I found fine.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am really, really inclined to get this game...but then I remember the glory of Mario Golf, and...and...D:

Do I wait or not! I don't need or want two golf games for one system (just the way I am). I'm still waiting on a DS version, though.

Meh, I know EA will come out with another Wii Tiger Woods next year, and it's not like this game is going anywhere.

EDIT: Oh, freakin' sweet!
    1up wrote:
    One Ball mode, a multiplayer mode where two players trade shots on the same ball, trying to sabotage each other so they can make the final winning putt
    I can see those games going on forever! We get to the green, I would so just blast it into the ocean.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited March 2007
    Have they even announced Mario Golf Wii yet?

Menace on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    Have they even announced Mario Golf Wii yet?
    No, but I think it's safe to assume it will come eventually, like all the Mario sport games.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    Ohio wrote: »
    Don't automatically assume that I hate the Wii. A real golf game that felt like playing real golf would be really cool, on any system. The Wii has the best chance to achieve this because of its controller.

Yes, but how real do you really want it? I don't think it would be really fun (or profitable for EA) if the game exactly copied your swing, down to the smallest detail, because I completely suck at golf in real life. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that concern. maybe they could include a "simulation" mode for the hard-core, but if it were real like that all the time, do you know anyone that could break par?

It would sell like 100 copies, all to PGA Tour pros.
    Tiger Woods is a lot more of a golf sim than something like Hot Shots Golf or Mario Golf. It's not without video game-y elements, though. It's something akin to Project Gotham Racing; not full-on simulation like Gran Turismo, but not all arcade flashiness like Burnout.

The impression I've gotten so far is that the controls for Wii '07 match that; it's not something like those crazy-expensive shot analyzers like you'd see at a country club, but it's a lot closer of an approximation than, say, Super Swing Golf.
    I am really, really inclined to get this game...but then I remember the glory of Mario Golf, and...and... D:
    Mario Golf is probably the biggest killer of interest in this title, too. :(

Also, my reluctance to wait for online is really only due to EA's history. They shutter their online servers after two years, so once a solid version with online comes out me and my friend are buying it and squeezing two good years outta that puppy.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If they had priced the game at $39.99, do you think most people here will still be on the fence?

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    1up wrote:
    One Ball mode, a multiplayer mode where two players trade shots on the same ball, trying to sabotage each other so they can make the final winning putt
    I can see those games going on forever! We get to the green, I would so just blast it into the ocean.

I hope they put some kinda control on that mode, because my friends and I are all assholes, and we would never finish a hole. Then someone would start a drunken brawl.

EDIT: Looks like I'll find out tomorrow, as one of my friends has offered to go "halvsies" on the game. Which is fine by me, because I'm the one with the Wii. I probably would've bought the game anyway, but damn if that didn't make the decision easier.

Nickle on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited March 2007
    1up wrote:

I hope they put some kinda control on that mode, because my friends and I are all assholes, and we would never finish a hole. Then someone would start a drunken brawl.

I could see them having it so that you aren't actually allowed to end up further away from the hole than you already are, with some variance. That would keep it interesting.

Menace on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think I'm going to rent this, then if it's awesome buy it.

Anyone know how many courses there are?

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    1up wrote:

I could see them having it so that you aren't actually allowed to end up further away from the hole than you already are, with some variance. That would keep it interesting.

That would be a pretty simple remedy, and I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I'd imagine (hope) that's what they're trying to achieve. Sorta like that game (does it have a name?) where you race your fists up a baseball bat, trying to be the one on top.

"Do I go for this 20-foot putt, or tap it a foot and make them try?" That seems alot more fun than what I thought it was initially.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I think the GS preview said 18, IIRC. I remember it being more than the 360/PS3 versions, which I found mildly ironic.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

I think the GS preview said 18, IIRC. I remember it being more than the 360/PS3 versions, which I found mildly ironic.

That's pretty good. And yeah, the "next-gen" versions of lots of sports games seem to have less teams/options/etc. Kind of a shame.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

I figured the 360/PS3 versions had less courses because EA is a DLC shill.

Nickle on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i figured it was b/c they have to rebuild the 360/ps3 courses w/ more detail.

SpikedFreak on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Another vote for DLC shill.

It's EA after all.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i figured it was b/c they have to rebuild the 360/ps3 courses w/ more detail.
    Strange, my post disappeared. I was thinking along these lines too, although I don't know if it's a "too much work to transfer all courses over" or "too little space on the disc to do it."

Although the latter wouldn't make sense for the PS3 version to be clipped short, too.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tiger Woods Golf for the PS3!*

*Tiger Woods not included

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I know we don't take kindly to arbitrary game comparisons here, but this is what I am debating at the moment: Tiger Woods, or SSX Blur?

Of course nobody's played this yet so it's still too soon for judgement, but.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know we don't take kindly to arbitrary game comparisons here, but this is what I am debating at the moment: Tiger Woods, or SSX Blur?

Of course nobody's played this yet so it's still too soon for judgment, but.
    If it makes any difference, I think I'm going to trade Blur for this. I will get more multiplayer time out of Tiger Woods than any other Wii game I could buy right now. Its definitely worth the yearly investment to me.

I'm really starting to get sick of Wii reviews that read like, "I pushed the wrong button a few times, so the control definitely needs some work."

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Rent Blur before you buy it or play it at a buddy's house or something. A lot of people like it, but a lot of people really don't. I bought it on release expecting to be really into it and the controls just didn't agree with me.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Rent Blur before you buy it or play it at a buddy's house or something. A lot of people like it, but a lot of people really don't. I bought it on release expecting to be really into it and the controls just didn't agree with me.
    The only truly honest reviewer of Wii titles is Gamefly. :P

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    After reading IGN's review of Tiger Woods Wii golf, I'm even more in the fence on buying this one.

Hopefully IGN was just being retarded about there not being a one-to-one control like in Wii Sports.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the 360 version will have less courses so that 2 months after release they can sell the Wii exclusive ones on live marketplace.

LewieP on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I walk into Best Buy and I see this sitting on the shelf ready to buy. Also, I found a gift card on the ground with $15 on it.

Veevee on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Veevee wrote: »
    So I walk into Best Buy and I see this sitting on the shelf ready to buy. Also, I found a gift card on the ground with $15 on it.

I can't imagine how this story ends! There must be some kind of Shamylamma-ding-dong twist.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Only that I walked out of the store with an extra $15 to best buy and a Wii game richer.

Veevee on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1up wrote:

That would be a pretty simple remedy, and I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I'd imagine (hope) that's what they're trying to achieve. Sorta like that game (does it have a name?) where you race your fists up a baseball bat, trying to be the one on top.

"Do I go for this 20-foot putt, or tap it a foot and make them try?" That seems alot more fun than what I thought it was initially.

One Ball works because you can't just blast your opponents shot into the ocean or back to the tee box. You always have to hit the ball a MINIMUM of half the distance to the hole on each shot. There's a large circle surrounding the hole that narrows on each shot and you have to get within that or your team is assessed a penalty.

So basically it comes down to getting REALLY close to the hole and trying to figure out how to set your opponent up with a nasty putt for the win or trying to go for it yourself. I play it pretty consistantly on Live, it's alot of fun.

Allforce on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This screams "rent first." I'm not sure how I feel about so many games getting the whole "it depends on how you like the controls." I thought the Wii was about being accessible to everyone.

I, for one, like learning new controls schemes from scratch. I remember the control stick on the N64 being goofy as hell at first.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    This screams "rent first." I'm not sure how I feel about so many games getting the whole "it depends on how you like the controls." I thought the Wii was about being accessible to everyone.

I, for one, like learning new controls schemes from scratch. I remember the control stick on the N64 being goofy as hell at first.
    IMO, the Wii isn't really about making every game accessible to everyone, Wii Sports style; it's about having a blend of games of that ilk (non-games ROFL) and having games in the more traditional sence, like Twilight Princess.

Personally, I think reviews being all over the map are the result of some reviewers thinking "dammit I want to play this with an analog stick" or "OMG the Wii is totally awesome" instead of actually taking the game on its own merits. The 1up and IGN reviews of SSX Blur really seemed like opposing fanboys yelling at each other.

Lunker on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone pick this up and have impressions? Really want a golf game, but I've heard mixed things on the controls for this one, and I trust you guys more than random reviewers on the interwebs.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    twmjr wrote: »
    Anyone pick this up and have impressions? Really want a golf game, but I've heard mixed things on the controls for this one, and I trust you guys more than random reviewers on the interwebs.

What he said. If I don't hear anything bad about this game before I leave for work, I'll be on tomorrow with my impressions.

Nickle on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All I really want is more courses for Wii Golf. After buying and then ebaying Super Swing Golf, I think I'll hold off on other golf games until I actually play one that I like more than the Wii Sports version.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want the Wii Golf mechanic, but slicing is based off the tilt of the controller. That's it really. Are any of the games like this, I haven't played SSG or Tiger.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think Golf is my least favorite game of the Wii Sports package. You don't need to backswing at all, and the whole thing seems to be based more on how far you swing forward than how hard you swing. Also, the putting is atrocious. Not to mention the whole "Four clubs, no spin" factor, and the fact that you can't swing with any force at all without going over the limit. I can pretty routinely score pars or birdies, but there's absolutely no fun in it.

EDIT: ^^Tiger uses the tilt of the controller for fade/draw (hook/slice)

Nickle on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Agreed, I wasn't enthused with the controls in Wii Golf. It was difficult to get right because of the way it worked.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Here's the way I think Tiger Wii controls, based on the reviews and what I know about the Tiger series in general. Note that this is all hypothesis:

The club doesn't follow the Wiimote 1:1, like Wii Sports does. When you pull the Wii remote back (holding it like a club) to any degree, the onscreen golfer begins pulling back, and when you push the Wii remote forward the golfer goes for the shot. It doesn't sense how far back you pull the remote; it's all about timing based on the "pull-back" animation of the onscreen golfer. Kind of like how in Wii Bowling, you can't control how fast your bowler walks toward the lane.
    IGN wrote:
    ... you press the B button, pull back the Wii remote just the tiniest bit and your character winds up for a full power shot anyway. As soon as you swing forward, you rip the ball. This method works well when you need full power, but it's less precise for those pro shots where less is more. It's as though you have to cut off Tiger's backswing animation and quickly swing forward in order to execute mid-swings. The advanced control setting seems to enable a bit more freedom, but it still falls well short of one-to-one accuracy, which is disappointing because such a method is ultimately preferable, as Wii Sports proves.

Note that this is exactly how gameplay in the previous Tiger Woods games goes. Pull back on the analog and the golfer begins pulling back; push forward on the stick midway through the animation to do a shot at 50 percent power, and so on. Essentially, if you pace your backswing to mirror the speed of backswing that the onscreen avatar, you will have 1:1 control.

I'm probably going to rent this sometime soon so I can report back on it. I'm hella curious, myself.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    What's this "Advance Control" setting that IGN mentions? I know they say it's still not 1-to-1, but can you control the backswing better? I know when I was watching the 1up video, some people were swinging with half backswings, and this was reflected in the game.

*shrug* I'll check it out tonight, I guess.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wii Golf is probably my most favorite of the Wii Sports games. Yeah, you don't have the spin and hooks/slices are basically random, but it just plain feels good to play. I've gotten pretty good at it recently and I've been naturally good at the putting since the beginning somehow. (I "push" the ball slowly rather than make a sharp, natural putt - you can build up the blue line slowly and stop when it's far enough.) I also really love the meter/dot system at telling how far you're going to hit it.

I mostly want more courses for Wii Sports Golf. Tiger Woods has the spin system and hooks and slices, but I think the lack of a meter would be very discconcerting to me. I hope the next iteration on Wii has one.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I mostly want more courses for Wii Sports Golf. Tiger Woods has the spin system and hooks and slices, but I think the lack of a meter would be very discconcerting to me. I hope the next iteration on Wii has one.
    There's no meter per se, but in older Tigers you can gauge the power of your swing by how high the golfer brings his club. So once you get a sense of how high a full-powered hit is and how quick the club is swung back, you can time a half-powered shot or a 75-percent shot fairly easily.

Wii Sports Golf is really nice for its streamlining, though. I still get kind of screwy on putts, but once you get the rhythm down it's pretty satisfying. I really liked the full-swing aspect of Super Swing Golf, but the ability to pinpoint specific percentages on your swing power was a little game-breaking, IMO. It did a nice job of detecting hook/slices, though.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wii Golf is probably my most favorite of the Wii Sports games. Yeah, you don't have the spin and hooks/slices are basically random, but it just plain feels good to play. I've gotten pretty good at it recently and I've been naturally good at the putting since the beginning somehow. (I "push" the ball slowly rather than make a sharp, natural putt - you can build up the blue line slowly and stop when it's far enough.) I also really love the meter/dot system at telling how far you're going to hit it.

I think the main thing that pulls me out of Wii golf is the fact that you can step up to the ball, hold your club down, and just go forward with no backwing and crank the ball. Not to mention that the difference between over-powered and no power is so small. My 80 year old grandmother could break the upper limit of the gauge. Without trying. I do like the "dot" measuring mechanic, but the meter needs to have a wider range. Like I said, I've adapted to it, and can play rather well, but it doesn't feel anywhere close to "right" for me.

From the way IGN describes it, it seems the animation of the backswing is your "power meter" and swinging forward sets it. Hopefully this "advance control" method will let you swing as if it were real golf, though, even if the animation isn't exactly in sync with your movement.

EDIT: I'm leaving work now, I should have some impressions later tonight or early tomorrow.

Nickle on