Options

So hey, Tiger Woods '07 Wii is out: impressions inside!

13»

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I may just bite the bullet and pick this up tomorrow if I can find it. If I do I'll report back with impressions.

twmjr on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Alright, got a few rounds in, one solo when I got home, and another with a couple of friends.

First off, the swing mechanic works, but I do wish they could've just gone with a near 1:1 thing, as was mentioned in the IGN review. That being said, aside from a few minor hiccups (you'd better keep that back-swing smooth), it feels pretty good. For control settings, you've got Easy, which won't account for the twisting of the remote, standard, and advanced which is really sensitive to the twisting. You can also opt for the (now) standard analog swing method, using the nunchuck. Though if you're going to do that, you might as well wait for the PS3 or 360 version, unless of course you just don't feel like standing up for a round. At least the option is there. We only played with standard controls, so there was the occasional hook or slice, but it was pretty forgiving.

Finding the right distance feels surprisingly intuitive, in our first rounds all three of us managed some pretty good shots, even one chip in for birdie. I'm not sure if it's some kind of CPU assistance thing, but I was surprised by how well we did. It seems the power of the shot is affected by both your backswing and the speed of the "club". Don't get me wrong, there were more "missed" shots than "made" ones, but overall it wasn't that hard to get into, even for my "doesn't play videogames or golf" roomate. This may, of course, differ from person to person.

The spin mechanic works pretty well, and I like the fact that you can not only ajust the direction, but the speed of the spin as well. As for putting, let me say that on the very last hole one of us sunk a 20ft+ putt. It's a bit weird without some kind of distance marker, or a power meter, but they do give you sort of a "preview", showing you the recommended path of the ball. It's up to you to find the right angle and speed to follow that path (not that you have to, but it helps).

A few things to note; as I stated before, the backswing needs to be pretty smooth. My first round I did pretty well the first few holes, and then all of a sudden the game was hitting shots for me at like 40% power, in the middle of my backswing. You don't really need to keep to a "rhythm", just pull the club back smoothly, and you could hold it there indefinitely. Also, the wind seems more powerful than the average golf game, I'm not sure if it's more realistic or not, but it caught me a bit off-guard. Then again, I don't have too much experience with Golf games, excepting Hal's Hole and One Golf, and Mario Golf, so there's that. Don't expect anything special from the graphics, but they're serviceable. (Say, maybe a bit better than PS2).

Basically it all boils down to the controls (who woulda thunk it?!?!). They've worked for the three people I know who've played it so far (including myself), but this game is really dependent on if they work for you. I'd say give it a rent, because if the controls don't work for you, you'll just end up with an uglier version of the PS3/360 game. If you're a golfer (I'm not, but one of my friends is) I understand (from said friend) that the game will feel pretty natural, aside from the fact that the remote does not come close to resembling a golf grip.

As for me, it's the most fun I've had with a golf game yet. I don't see why they couldn't have used a 1:1 swing (and I maintain it would probably work better), but what they have works well enough. Either way, it feels alot better than hitting buttons, and my abdomen feels like it got a little work-out, after a winter of inactivity. We'll see how it is after I get a bit more time with it, and have tried out some of the other game modes.

tl;dr-Rent it to feel out the controls. I would probably say buy it if you want a good golf simulation on the Wii, but the controls (as seems to be the case with Wii games) are going to be the main deciding factor.

EDIT: For reference, if it matters, I also liked the controls for Sonic and SSX, which I know were pretty polarizing. Maybe I'm some kind of Wii savant!

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    XaviXavi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I'm gonna play Devils advocate for a second, since I was involved with the game, so even though I'll be objective, feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt :)

I think opinions in general about the graphics jump the shark a tad, if you compare screens and videos, the Wii version looks way better than PS2 and X-Box, I can say that I know this for a fact, but heres an example:

Old greens, PS2

tiger-woods-pga-tour-07-20060913002359028.jpg

New greens, Wii

tiger-woods-pga-tour-07-20070117031655901.jpg

The same upgrades were applied to the fairway, the rough, the tees and the vegetation. If anybody actually took the time to do that research they would have noticed, but hey, such is life :)

Other graphical upgrades you'll find are the structures in Saint Andrews (the town) were completely re-done, just compare it with how it used to look in PS2 and you'll find a huge difference. The grass effect you see when you're in the rough was also redone, increasing the draw distance and the amount of grass displayed by about 3 times. Its easy to dismiss these upgrades from a consumer point of view, because you're used to see a leap from PS2 to PS3, so anything in between is hard to appreciate, plus not every team has the time, engine or manpower to do as many upgrades as they would like ;)

As for the swing? Well of course it could be better, I personally was NOT a fan of the swinging mechanic in Wii Sports and specially Super Swing Golf (you mean I have to hold my swing pose until the bar says Ive reached max power? Come on!) So in retrospect I think Tiger achieves the happy medium where, if you swing like you swing in real golf, you'll be closer to success ... if you've never played golf? Well, surprise, you need to practice more (which I think is what a lot of people are complaining about with their first impressions)

As for 1:1, thats certainly the hot new property for Wii games. Its reeeaaally easy to just say "ah yeah, they should just add 1:1 and everything would be awesome" Unfortunately, thats not always the case and its not like that control scheme wasn't considered. Its very different to be from the consumer side of things, because you think you know what you want, and you think you know the proper terminology to express that desire ... but that is seldom the case. You may have the right idea, sure, but if you think adding a 1:1 control scheme is a genius idea that will solve all your problems, thats very naive.

So yeah, no surprise that a person involved with the game was pretty happy with the final product, I mean, no shit right? So think what you will, but I'm a fan of the game, I think its sweet.

Xavi on
  • Options
    TrenchMouthTrenchMouth I went nuts.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i picked this up two days ago. here is my $.02:

I like it. Quite a bit in fact. You have heard all the good and bad in this thread already. What I think it comes down to is this; this game has no where to go but up. I can see Tiger Woods 08-09 for Wii being the end all be all of golf games. If you have $50 in your pocket for a good game, this will hold you over for a year or two till they hit gold.

i can see pizza, beer, and tiger being a popular thursday night in this household.

TrenchMouth on
    Someone else is gonna come and clean it up.
    Someone always does.

Tumblr
  • Options
    AlaniasAlanias Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is this just another SSX-like learn it and love it game? The Wii seems to have a lot of those. Played three holes of this on Saturday, and I couldn't figure out what the hell I was doing. Probably going to hold out for '08 since Super Swing is keeping me pretty happy, but that's not to say this game is bad, it just seemed hard at first. Not very pick up and play.

Alanias on
    Animal Crossing City Folk:
    0087-5796-7152 (Jeremy, Heliord)
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thought I would mention that Best Buys ad had Super Swing priced at 29.99 dollars.

I'm considering buying that or Tiger Woods but it is hard to decide as they seem quite different.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    AlaniasAlanias Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    Thought I would mention that Best Buys ad had Super Swing priced at 29.99 dollars.

I'm considering buying that or Tiger Woods but it is hard to decide as they seem quite different.

Can't go wrong with Super Swing for 30 bucks, unless you hate anime golf games. I've put over 50 hours into my copy and I still have a lot to unlock. If Tiger '08 really is coming in August then it might be worth waiting for that version and picking up the cheaper Super Swing in the meantime.

Alanias on
    Animal Crossing City Folk:
    0087-5796-7152 (Jeremy, Heliord)
  • Options
    Mr_PeelMr_Peel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm surprised more people aren't raving about this game. It's by far the deepest experience I've had on Wii since Zelda.

The controls feel very natural and are very reminiscent of Wii Bowling. Your shot is determined by the degree of back-swing, twisting of the wrist, and velocity of your forward motion. When you successfully combine these variables and find the sweet spot you can feel it in the swing. It just feels right. My house-mate uses a one handed swing with good success, but I have a lot more luck when I assume an actual golf stance and use a two handed grip.

My only complaints about the swing mechanic arise when I swing too quickly. Occasionally the game will not register my back-swing accurately resulting in a very under-powered shot. Basically, if you take your time, this shouldn't happen. Back-swing is partially determined by your motions and partially by timing. When I'm taking power off a shot, I'll move my arm back to begin the back-swing animation, and then move my arm forward when my character's arm reaches the appropriate back-swing. It's a little disappointing that back-swing isn't entirely motion determined.

This is the first Tiger game I've ever purchased and I'm thrilled with all the game modes, customization, and level of detail. The Game Face editor is quite a lot of fun though the interface is a little wonky. I don't know why they didn't allow you to use the pointer to grab areas of the face and pull them into desired shapes Mario 64-style. I made a Leprechan for St Pat's and used him to crush my house-mate in match play.

I can't wait to show this game off to some of my non-gamer friends. Golf is a pretty huge deal where I live and I can see some of my friends picking up the Wii just to play this game. Time will tell.

Mr_Peel on
    Wii Code: 7511 8555 3568 9480[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Brawl: 3136 6048 0984
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Got a bit more time in this weekend, and the game is just fun to play, period. The lack of an onscreen meter really doesn't bother me at all anymore, in fact I prefer the cleaner look. I created myself and started a tour, and I had a blast even if I missed the first few cuts. I'm not sure if that's how it's been in previous Tiger games, but in the beginning your stats are just crap, and you'll be lucky to hit anywhere near where you're aiming. Actually, it's not that bad, but at first I didn't realize it and was wondering why some of my shots were so horrible when all signs were pointing to a flawless shot. After a bit of upgrading though, my golfer is starting to get better. As for the GameFace stuff, I'll repeat what was said earlier: It's just as good as the other games, but the interface is very clunky. Here's hoping for a Mario 64 type (WYSIWYG) system next time around, because that would just be awesome.

While I still maintain that a 1:1 swing would be excellent, the more experience I have with the system in place, the more I enjoy it. It just feels really good to nail that 40-yd pitch to within inches of the hole, and the putting system is really one of the best I've seen in a golf game. I still have the occasional hiccup when the game doesn't register my backswing (almost exclusively while putting, and probably user error), but I've learned to let go of the B button and start over, and I imagine this will happen less and less over time. I really like that the swing power is determined by both the length of the backswing and the speed at impact, as opposed to either exclusively. I haven't played Super Swing, and, while serviceable, don't really like the swing mechanics in Wii Golf. Barring a true 1:1 swing, Tiger's system has me hooked.

Overall, for a first effort on the Wii, this game is great. Sure there's room for improvement in a few areas, but you won't find a golf simulation that 'feels' as good as this game. It's just so viceral, and I find that I have a lot more invested in my shot than I would if I were using the normal meter, or even the analog stick swing. The sense of accomplishment and disappointment are magnified. Mr_Peel, we must join forces to hype this game, it's already sold Wii's to 3 of my friends.

Side note: We managed to have a nice little tournament after the bars closed on St. Patrick's Day, and, much to my surprise, no one broke anything! Extremely drunken golf rules (and it is also filled with much fist-pumping). My highlight for the weekend: driving the green on a par-4 in the first round of the first tournament in tour mode. I'm not sure which hole it was, but it had a slight dogleg to the left, and I faded (that's right to left, right?) the ball with the wind, by turning the remote before my backswing. There was much high-fiving, and my new nick-name is 'Happy'.

P.S.: To Xavi, is there anything you could tell me regarding why a 1:1 swing wasn't used? Just curious, but I do like the system in place now as well. Kudos on being involved with the only golf game that has hooked my non-gamer and non-golfer friends. I think you did a fine job making it both accessible and deep.

Nickle on
  • Options
    rusty6713rusty6713 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Let me put in another good word for this game. I have enjoyed what I have played so far. The only shot I still am learning is putting. Other than that I am very happy with the game. I don't see the complaints on graphics. It looks just fine to me, especially for a first Wii offering. As others have said, the key is to take your time. It punishes you for being to hasty, just like real golf.

rusty6713 on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited March 2007
    When is '08 expected to come out? I've heard as early as August, but I'm not sure if I was misinformed or not.

This is crucial to my decision on whether to purchase this game or not.

Menace on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nickle wrote: »
    P.S.: To Xavi, is there anything you could tell me regarding why a 1:1 swing wasn't used? Just curious, but I do like the system in place now as well. Kudos on being involved with the only golf game that has hooked my non-gamer and non-golfer friends. I think you did a fine job making it both accessible and deep.

Well theres a bunch of reasons why really, including the fact that this swing mechanic most closely ressembles what we had done in the past, so it was easier for the engineers to tweak and get accustomed to (while keeping the super tight deadlines we had) But a pretty straightforward one is that, you know that you can make a swing in a variety of ways right? (swinging like a golf club, flicking your wrist, swinging your arm right to left as if bitchslapping somebody, etc The game tracks how straight that movement is, the speed and the angle and then gives you your shot.

With a 1:1 system, your only swinging option would be to actually make a golf swing, right? Cause you dont want your golfer to make a bitchslap move or whatever ... hardly ideal when you just want to sitch in the couch and be more casual ;)

Glad you like it though, and theres some great feedback in this forum about the game, so I'll make sure some people from work check it out :)

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Xavi wrote: »

Well theres a bunch of reasons why really, including the fact that this swing mechanic most closely ressembles what we had done in the past, so it was easier for the engineers to tweak and get accustomed to (while keeping the super tight deadlines we had) But a pretty straightforward one is that, you know that you can make a swing in a variety of ways right? (swinging like a golf club, flicking your wrist, swinging your arm right to left as if bitchslapping somebody, etc The game tracks how straight that movement is, the speed and the angle and then gives you your shot.

With a 1:1 system, your only swinging option would be to actually make a golf swing, right? Cause you dont want your golfer to make a bitchslap move or whatever ... hardly ideal when you just want to sitch in the couch and be more casual ;)

Glad you like it though, and theres some great feedback in this forum about the game, so I'll make sure some people from work check it out :)

Aha, I can see where you're going with the 'sitting on the couch' thing. I hadn't really thought of it, because at my house we go all out, clearing the area of furniture, etc. Maybe a 1:1 will be an option in the next iteration? Like I said, though, I really like the controls the way they are, though I maybe be writing an angry letter if I ever turn the settings to advanced (I have a nasty real-life slice).

So you can just sit down and flick your wrist? Any tips on that? How would you get the power you can when you're standing up, would you just hold the the controller 'back' until the backswing animation is complete? I've noticed if you swing like a 4-year old, it doesn't matter so much how far your backswing is, you're still gonna get ~80%. Does the game register the position of the remote when B is pressed down, and calculate based on that (i.e. horizontal swing?). We all just pretty much stand and swing as if we were playing golf for real.

Thanks for your input, and I'm always happy to see people involved in a game joining in the conversation. It can only lead to better games.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, the remotes have accelerometers, so if you think acceleration rather than power youll be on the right track ;) . Last I tried, you could still make a swing just by rotating your wrist, did they take it out?

And yeah, I dont mind talking about the game, but Im an artist, so dont expect me to go change anything about how the game plays, haha

Xavi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Xavi wrote: »
    Well, the remotes have accelerometers, so if you think acceleration rather than power youll be on the right track ;) . Last I tried, you could still make a swing just by rotating your wrist, did they take it out?

And yeah, I dont mind talking about the game, but Im an artist, so dont expect me to go change anything about how the game plays, haha

Regarding the wrist shot, I don't know, I'll have to give it a try later tonight. (But standing up and shooting is just too fun). Since you're an artist, I'll let you know that I think the graphics are pretty good. Maybe people need stars to shoot out of their clubs, or something? :)

If you get a chance, though, please give a stern talking-to to whoever designed the interface for the game face mode. It's nit-picky, really, and one of the only 'flaws' I've found with the game, but tell them to map the rotate feature to + or -, or a combination of using b and the wiimote on your golfer (unless that works, because I don't think I've tried it). I find myself missing the onscreen buttons, leading to the menu coming up, me hitting cancel, and going all the way back to the first option. I know you probably can't do anything about it, but I wanted to vent.

Truly though, for me, the feeling I got when I drove that green on that par-4, the game was well worth the price of admission. I will wait with baited breath for the next iteration, and I've never really been an avid (videogame or not) golfer. If you can pass anything on to the rest of the team, let it be 'nice job'.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    After beating up on some LPGA golfers in the first few Tiger Challenges, I got enough stat bonuses to try my first tournament. For some reason, playing against my own score psyches me out worse than match play. I struggled to maintain par while I consistently birdie during match play. It's unfortunate that you can't save in the middle of an event. I understand why they do this and it seems to be the norm in all Tiger games, but I'm a busy guy and can't always commit the time to all 18 holes.

Has anyone been getting a sore neck/shoulders from playing this game? I've been making myself stretch before playing. I got sore while playing lots of Wii Bowling too. I had this technique where I started on the extreme right side of the lane and then whipped my arm diagonally across my chest to put insane spin on the ball. Many strikes ensued. I've tried a one handed swing on Tiger, but it just doesn't feel right. I can't get the degree of accuracy I get from a two-handed grip. I love this about the game. It rewards you for moving like a real golfer.

It took some getting used to, but I am now enjoying the heck out of One Ball. It's a new game mode for '07 and involves multiple golfers taking turns hitting the same ball. The player that knocks in the final putt wins the hole. The strategy lies in creating difficult shots for your opponents while getting the ball at least half-way to the pin. Dropping a shot into a bunker is fair game as long as you hit it the required distance. If you fail to cover the distance, or hit the ball into water hazard or out-of-bounds, you are penalized a Betrayal whereby you lose one or two turns depending on the severity of the Betrayal.

There are a number of factors that prevent Tiger from being a true golf simulation. The greatest offender is the imparting of spin after the ball has been struck. Fortunately it's also really fun. As you begin to realize where your ball might land, you hold the D-pad down in the direction you want the ball to spin and shake the remote. The more you shake the more you spin. This can get you into trouble if you misjudge your landing area and instead spin yourself into a hazard. Golf is all about taking risks and this spin mechanic fits well into the spirit of risks and rewards. The shaking reminds me of rolling dice afterall.

Mr_Peel on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My good friend and Tiger buddy was completely raving about the game last night. I consider that a sterling recommendation, given his attention span and general short temper with wishy-washy controls.

This could be a nigh-killer app if it gets in the right hands. Personally, I may still hold out for Tiger '08 coming this fall, but I'll play the shit out of this copy. Fuck, I might even just go ahead and buy one just to show my support for EA ... They've been doing such a bang-up job with psuedo-port-ups for the Wii. I give credit where credit is due.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll wait for the 08 version because I'm confident it will have an online component.

Gino on
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i bought this game the day after it came out. i did not enjoy it. i dont know if it was my swing or what but 6 of 10 drives would end up in a 40% shot. i tried changing my swing and still 40%. i hoping 08 is better because i love tiger woods a lot.

BathTubb on
    Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Promethane wrote: »
    i bought this game the day after it came out. i did not enjoy it. i dont know if it was my swing or what but 6 of 10 drives would end up in a 40% shot. i tried changing my swing and still 40%. i hoping 08 is better because i love tiger woods a lot.

I was having a similar problem during my first few plays. Try slowing down your swing a little. When you begin your backswing, wait for the character animation to catch up to your actual swing position, then move the remote forward quickly to complete your shot. Take your time and keep your movements smooth, just like real golf.

Mr_Peel on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yep, as was stated above, you have to keep the backswing smooth, I ran into this problem at first as well.

Also, a quick question for anyone with experience with the Tiger Woods franchise, is there any difference between male and female created golfers (i.e. is the max power less, etc)? I only ask because my roomate has created herself, and she's worried about having a disadvantage in multi-player games.

Keep in mind that said roomate had not so much as touched a video game before I brought the Wii into the house. Nintendo's strategy validated? I would say so.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Yep, as was stated above, you have to keep the backswing smooth, I ran into this problem at first as well.

Also, a quick question for anyone with experience with the Tiger Woods franchise, is there any difference between male and female created golfers (i.e. is the max power less, etc)? I only ask because my roomate has created herself, and she's worried about having a disadvantage in multi-player games.

Keep in mind that said roomate had not so much as touched a video game before I brought the Wii into the house. Nintendo's strategy validated? I would say so.
    I've never noticed any differences, and I've made a batch of male and female characters in the old Tigers.

Honestly, at least in '05, after you get your stats boost up a few clicks I never really notice a difference in performance. With stat increases that layer with stat boosts from the equipment and gear you can use, after you get out of the complete newbie stage your golfer is usually pretty badass. I had Vin Diesel totally wrecking the shit out of Troon North by about 30 under par for the 4-day championship. :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

I've never noticed any differences, and I've made a batch of male and female characters in the old Tigers.

Honestly, at least in '05, after you get your stats boost up a few clicks I never really notice a difference in performance. With stat increases that layer with stat boosts from the equipment and gear you can use, after you get out of the complete newbie stage your golfer is usually pretty badass. I had Vin Diesel totally wrecking the shit out of Troon North by about 30 under par for the 4-day championship. :)

Rock, I'll let her know. And damn, I was proud of myself for only finishing 12 over after two rounds of golf with my unupgraded golfer. I am looking forward to kicking some pro ass eventually, though.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Rock, I'll let her know. And damn, I was proud of myself for only finishing 12 over after two rounds of golf with my unupgraded golfer. I am looking forward to kicking some pro ass eventually, though.
    The game is definitely tougher as a new golfer, where your accuracy isn't nearly as reliable and you can't hit as far. It's kind of like Sonic & the Secret Rings in that respect, except not as pronounced.

The biggest obstacle is the green (just like real golf!). I got really good at reading the green in '05, and I spent my first batch of money and experience on upgrading my short game (irons and wedges), because it doesn't really matter where your drive goes -- it's much better to nail an approach shot and give yourself an easy putt.

The '06 and '07 versions (PS2 and PSP, respectively) that I've been playing have the tougher putting system, with the grid and the analog putting, so I'm still struggling with it. Still, it's that much more satisfying when you sink a huge putt.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The '06 and '07 versions (PS2 and PSP, respectively) that I've been playing have the tougher putting system, with the grid and the analog putting, so I'm still struggling with it. Still, it's that much more satisfying when you sink a huge putt.

That's the part I love most about the Wii version. It takes that anolog control a step further, and it really gets you into the game. For better and for worse (when you shank one). This version may have it's flaws, but it's the best golf game I've ever played, and I think they have the basis for a great series on the Wii. Since you seem to be a fan of golf games, I'd really have to recommend this one. While waiting for the next version is tempting, it's well worth the price of admission for filling the months until the next iteration. From what I've heard from other Tiger players, it's basically just like the analog swing in the other versions, but, you know, better.

As always though, the controls might not work for some people. I'll just say they've clicked with all of the people I've introduced it to so far (around 10-15 people, men, women, gamers, non-gamers, golfers, non-golfers)

Nickle on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So far I am at a stage with this game where I could punch Tiger Woods in the cock.

I can hit 90%-100% power shots without too much trouble but I am getting nasty slice, and this mofo is swinging as straight as possible. As well the shot target area when you hit A.. having some issues with that. is that just where you are aiming cause even hitting at 100% it doesnt seem to ever make it there.

The effect of wind is also kinda strange, I have had straight shots get pushed wide due to a couple KM winds, and one shot in particular the wind was 12km against me, my target with my current club was showing on the green but with wind I guessed it wouldnt make it that far (as I had seen with just a few km effecting the shot) so I switched to another club which had the shot target past the green a bit, Took the shot 100%, and over shot the green and landed out of bounds..

Usually after playing a few rounds in a golf game you can figure it out how much wind will fuck up your shots but this seem random.. either that or I am missing something.

Putting tho.. is PIMP CASH MONEY. love it.

So over all i'd still punch Tiger in the cock, I think there must be some other factors I am missing when it comes to swings and wind and the target, I like the swing better than Super swing but not as much as Wii Sports (just because it is so fluid) but the spin and shit are nice additions., putting of course is awesome.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So far I am at a stage with this game where I could punch Tiger Woods in the cock.

I can hit 90%-100% power shots without too much trouble but I am getting nasty slice, and this mofo is swinging as straight as possible. As well the shot target area when you hit A.. having some issues with that. is that just where you are aiming cause even hitting at 100% it doesnt seem to ever make it there.

The effect of wind is also kinda strange, I have had straight shots get pushed wide due to a couple KM winds, and one shot in particular the wind was 12km against me, my target with my current club was showing on the green but with wind I guessed it wouldnt make it that far (as I had seen with just a few km effecting the shot) so I switched to another club which had the shot target past the green a bit, Took the shot 100%, and over shot the green and landed out of bounds..

Usually after playing a few rounds in a golf game you can figure it out how much wind will fuck up your shots but this seem random.. either that or I am missing something.

Putting tho.. is PIMP CASH MONEY. love it.

So over all i'd still punch Tiger in the cock, I think there must be some other factors I am missing when it comes to swings and wind and the target, I like the swing better than Super swing but not as much as Wii Sports (just because it is so fluid) but the spin and shit are nice additions., putting of course is awesome.

Are you playing in a tour mode, or tiger challenge? Your stats will affect your shots alot, though from what Lunker says, I guess they're less imporant in the higher ranges. The shot target is indeed where you are aiming, but your lie (sand, rough, etc) will affect the true maximum range, I've found. Loftier clubs will also be affected by the wind more than low-flying shots.

Nickle on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    HMmm that might be it, playing 2 player Skins game. I didnt pick the settings so I will have to check. Is there a setting to not have a stat based.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm not really sure, this is my first experience really getting into a Tiger Woods game, besides renting one once or twice for the PS2. It seemed last night, after a friend of mine created a golfer and just went to 'Play Now' mode (or whatever it is) that his low stats weren't affecting him, but it could just be that he golfs in real life, and is just better than me. I can definately say that the stats hinder my golfer in tour mode and tiger challenge, but that's all.

Maybe Lunker has some input on when the stats apply and when they don't?

Nickle on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    a lot of sport-o's I know are searching desperately for a Wii just because they saw the commcerials for this game. More games like this and Wii's won't be readily available until Spring '08.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Once the first full-fledged baseball title comes out, I will be playing my first baseball videogame since Ken Griffey Junior on the SNES. That game, they could just go the way of Wii Sports, but add analog player control with the nunchuck (diving, jumping also, maybe), and use the control pad and throwing motion to throw to specific bases. Then I'm done, it's over.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I agree I'd be all over that as well. I havent enjoyed a baseball game since Legends of Baseball (or was it Legends of the Diamond?) on the NES

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    I agree I'd be all over that as well. I havent enjoyed a baseball game since Legends of Baseball (or was it Legends of the Diamond?) on the NES

To derail the topic a bit (I promise I'll go back to gushing on Tiger soon enough), that's the best thing about the Wii. After nearly two decades of gaming, it's nice to be surprised once in a while. if this generation was just all three companies coming out with more powerful systems to play the same old games on, then I'd probably have retired for a while. I'll probably end up gettting a PS3 and 360 down the road, but only because I think the Wii was a good starting off point towards forcing developers to come up with original ideas. Sure, it's innovation is the motion control, but I see the creativity it inspires trickling over to the other two systems as well. Any way you look at it, it's finally exciting to be a gamer again.

/rant

So, that Tiger Woods feller...I here he hits balls good. Oh, and One-ball nearly caused a fist fight at my house last night. :)

Nickle on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Once the first full-fledged baseball title comes out, I will be playing my first baseball videogame since Ken Griffey Junior on the SNES. That game, they could just go the way of Wii Sports, but add analog player control with the nunchuck (diving, jumping also, maybe), and use the control pad and throwing motion to throw to specific bases. Then I'm done, it's over.

It's like you were inside my HEAD.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    so the son of a bitch sport-o i was referring to? he calls me to ask questions on where to get the wii...I was the guy who showed up opening day, didnt get one and still dont have one. one day later he has a new one in hands. I'd go grab one now but i dont have the cash.

/rant off

nice to see non-gamers getting into it though tendo is going to make gobs of cash.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    so the son of a bitch sport-o i was referring to? he calls me to ask questions on where to get the wii...I was the guy who showed up opening day, didnt get one and still dont have one. one day later he has a new one in hands. I'd go grab one now but i dont have the cash.

/rant off

nice to see non-gamers getting into it though tendo is going to make gobs of cash.

'going to'? Everyone in the company already sleeps on pillows filled with $1000 bills. Screw 'Nintendo to buy Sony in 5 years OLOL'. More like 'Nintendo to buy several small countries'.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    guess Sony is the only one who wasn't invited to the cashbar then. I'll be playing this game in a few days (maybe hours) so expect an ill-informed review!

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm renting this game this week so I'm resurrecting this thread. It's fun but I wish I could take my character to a driving range and work on his drive. The tutorial has not prepared me to go against the computer on the tour- I need more practice. (I don't golf, or watch golf- Wii golf is my only experience with the sport...and putt-putt.) How did you all begin when you first played?
    It's a fun game though.

Sharp10r on