As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New LAUNCH DAY THREAD is here. Go post in it.

• Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    I miss my Asura..

ib0Mi2pckVcFY2.png

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I thought the design was based around keeps/garrisons being easy to hold as long as you had supply, but was dependent on vulnerable caravans that originate from easy to attack supply camps. This cave camp seems to go against that model.

This is the key, it doesn't matter how disproportionate it is as long as there's enough defenders to keep the door repaired

They will run out of supply though at some point
    Frei wrote: »
    So, I'm wondering something that maybe a few others are wondering:

PA is full of MMO hoppers, and this is the doom of every PA guild. Extremely active at the beginning, down to 10 or so members several months later... people play every new MMO, get tired of it, then hype up the next one.

I'm wondering if this will be less of an issue because there isn't a subscription fee. And maybe people will give up their other subscription fee games to play this one. I don't know.

I'm sure there will be a lot of hoppers, but hopefully Arenanet can keep things interesting over the long term enough so its not as pronounced

Unlike SWTOR who to this day are still hammering in features the game was f'ing supposed to ship with

override367 on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Part of it is just me liking the game so much, but I have a feeling GW2 doesn't have the retention issues other major MMOs have, for multiple reasons. The biggest ones IMO are: 1) Lack of sub fee means if you don't play for a week, you don't feel compelled to stop playing because you're paying monthly, and 2) PvP. Both structured pvp and WvW are end game activities you can take part in from the start, and since they're dynamic against humans, if you enjoy them you'll never tire of them. You never hit that thing where you have the latest raid on farm and just unsub until the next content patch brings you back.

• Options
    FalvesFalves Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Also, numbers should help after a certain point. I don't care how bad the zerg force is, they shouldn't have trouble just steam rolling 5 people no matter how good or geared they are. Something is broken if 5 people can hold off 50.

THIS IS SPARTA!

Falves on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Even if I stop playing GW2 all the time, I suspect it'll be easy to just log in and do a little bit once in awhile. All of the content is structured into tidbits of mini-rewards in such a way that everything you do feels like tiny, connected accomplishments. That's the easiest way to feel good about game time.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    But they are using good military tactics. They force you into a tight spot where they can cover a larger force in AoE. It's like 300, except with 5 people. Seriously, like two guardians with shields that reflect projectiles. Guess what that would do.

You are missing my point. I'll be more blunt.... they are exploiting the ability to fire AROUND a corner in an area with a ceiling. A balanced map means any given objective has a way for attackers to attack and defenders to defend. When the attackers cannot counter siege the people in the cave, where they shouldn't be able to fire arrows around the corner in the first place... then its imbalanced.

This has nothing to do with good military tactics. Its people who found an exploit. I was trying to avoid calling it an exploit, because I know people get kinda touchy in this thread if you don't just praise GW2 like its the greatest thing ever with zero faults. I think GW2 is fucking amazing, but it has some faults... being able to do that in a cave is one of those faults, plain and simple. I was trying to point out what the people were doing so people could draw their own conclusion, but instead I'll just say "hey these dudes found a pretty damn good exploit, I hope they fix it".

And no, some guardian shields don't help. You have to remember that they are in a cave with veteran NPCs. So the couple that might make it through the siege line are dead anyway. No other supply camps have this problem, since you can counter siege them first, then go in and fight the NPCs and the players without exploited shots from odd angles. I ran up to where their arrows were being spammed, dropped my shield and my other long duration shield as well as the projectile wall... it didn't do anything to stop damage. They found some weird angle that let them shoot around the corner and also seemed to hit no matter how you defended. I also made it past their line, many times, just spec all my slotted stuff to heal and CC removal then run through with some movement buffs... you get through and they just shoot you in there with their back up siege stuff or the NPCs kill you. The only way to really take them would be 50+ people all rushing at once and using similar slotted skills. This is just to get past their exploit, and regardless of skill it shouldn't take 50 people to stop 5.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Part of it is just me liking the game so much, but I have a feeling GW2 doesn't have the retention issues other major MMOs have, for multiple reasons. The biggest ones IMO are: 1) Lack of sub fee means if you don't play for a week, you don't feel compelled to stop playing because you're paying monthly, and 2) PvP. Both structured pvp and WvW are end game activities you can take part in from the start, and since they're dynamic against humans, if you enjoy them you'll never tire of them. You never hit that thing where you have the latest raid on farm and just unsub until the next content patch brings you back.

We shall see. The problem with playing with humans is that they tend to exploit hunt. Wrong has already listed one today that if not fixed quickly will cause a reduction in quality of play and I am sure that is just the tip of the iceberg. The problem with being popular is that the game gets dismantled fast. Look at D3. By all intents and purposes a very solid game but just laced with exploit after exploit found and taken to the fullest extend possible prior to knowledge becoming commonly known. I wonder how many will be "saved" and show up at GW2 release because as we well know they dont become public for a good while.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    No the whole point is exploiting a geometry bug to hold an area. That is something that needs to be worked out or it will become a problem.

I did not realize the geometry bug and therefore revoke my statements!

However, as a bug as long as we keep reporting it, I'm sure it will get fixed.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    But they are using good military tactics. They force you into a tight spot where they can cover a larger force in AoE. It's like 300, except with 5 people. Seriously, like two guardians with shields that reflect projectiles. Guess what that would do.

You are missing my point. I'll be more blunt.... they are exploiting the ability to fire AROUND a corner in an area with a ceiling. A balanced map means any given objective has a way for attackers to attack and defenders to defend. When the attackers cannot counter siege the people in the cave, where they shouldn't be able to fire arrows around the corner in the first place... then its imbalanced.

This has nothing to do with good military tactics. Its people who found an exploit. I was trying to avoid calling it an exploit, because I know people get kinda touchy in this thread if you don't just praise GW2 like its the greatest thing ever with zero faults. I think GW2 is fucking amazing, but it has some faults... being able to do that in a cave is one of those faults, plain and simple. I was trying to point out what the people were doing so people could draw their own conclusion, but instead I'll just say "hey these dudes found a pretty damn good exploit, I hope they fix it".

And no, some guardian shields don't help. You have to remember that they are in a cave with veteran NPCs. So the couple that might make it through the siege line are dead anyway. No other supply camps have this problem, since you can counter siege them first, then go in and fight the NPCs and the players without exploited shots from odd angles.

You're absolutely right and I get what you are saying now. The arrow carts shouldn't be able to hit those spots.

There are some nasty bugs in WvW. One we found in BWE #2 could cause siege to disappear (And That's all I'll say to keep people from exploiting it in case it's not fixed.) under the right circumstances. These circumstances were initiated by the enemy team and it was pretty nasty.

Edit: I filled a bug report.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

And no, some guardian shields don't help. You have to remember that they are in a cave with veteran NPCs. So the couple that might make it through the siege line are dead anyway. No other supply camps have this problem, since you can counter siege them first, then go in and fight the NPCs and the players without exploited shots from odd angles. I ran up to where their arrows were being spammed, dropped my shield and my other long duration shield as well as the projectile wall... it didn't do anything to stop damage. They found some weird angle that let them shoot around the corner and also seemed to hit no matter how you defended. I also made it past their line, many times, just spec all my slotted stuff to heal and CC removal then run through with some movement buffs... you get through and they just shoot you in there with their back up siege stuff or the NPCs kill you. The only way to really take them would be 50+ people all rushing at once and using similar slotted skills. This is just to get past their exploit, and regardless of skill it shouldn't take 50 people to stop 5.

I'm p sure he was responding to this post:
    Also, numbers should help after a certain point. I don't care how bad the zerg force is, they shouldn't have trouble just steam rolling 5 people no matter how good or geared they are. Something is broken if 5 people can hold off 50.

Which means, no he's not missing the point. Doing it via a bug = obviously bad 5 v 50 in a reasonable situation = good.

If 50 people are dumb enough to walk down a corrider that is lined with defenses (if there is a defense that could fire in a straight line in the cave, ballista maybe?) it would be perfectly acceptable for them to get demolished.

• Options

We shall see. The problem with playing with humans is that they tend to exploit hunt. Wrong has already listed one today that if not fixed quickly will cause a reduction in quality of play and I am sure that is just the tip of the iceberg. The problem with being popular is that the game gets dismantled fast. Look at D3. By all intents and purposes a very solid game but just laced with exploit after exploit found and taken to the fullest extend possible prior to knowledge becoming commonly known. I wonder how many will be "saved" and show up at GW2 release because as we well know they dont become public for a good while.

Luckily in the case of the cave turtle thing... you can just goto a ton of other areas to WvW. The place is HUGE... so in no way did the thing ruin the experience for me. But as you can read, I'm pretty concerned about it being fairplay in the long run. Dedicated healers and other concepts that allow for "turtle" mechanics in MMO PVP are not fun, and keeps cant turtle... so having some select supply camps turtle is just not fun IMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    MarsloMarslo is, the dirty frenchmen MontrealRegistered User regular
    When i first heard about wuvwuv my reaction was "meh" but after giving it a try this week-end it was some of the most fun i had in an mmo so far. But it felt like i was been thrown in to the deep end of a pool. There's so many concepts that i didn't grasp. Like placement of siege weapons, what are those power orb, how supply's work, etc.

Is there a good general guide/tutorial running around the internet somewhere ?

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

Luckily in the case of the cave turtle thing... you can just goto a ton of other areas to WvW. The place is HUGE... so in no way did the thing ruin the experience for me. But as you can read, I'm pretty concerned about it being fairplay in the long run. Dedicated healers and other concepts that allow for "turtle" mechanics in MMO PVP are not fun, and keeps cant turtle... so having some select supply camps turtle is just not fun IMO.

Indeed. I did enjoy the game for the time I got to play it but for me at least it wont be a sole source MMO. It will be nice to jump in and out and see what happens. I do the same with LOTRO and I enjoy the hell out of it.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Was the whole "cpu limited" thing changed on this beta we just had?

I noticed a stupidly high performance increase across everything. WvW still has a few hiccups that seemed network related, but the graphics never had issue at all on the newer PC I build. The previous beta the performance was very underwhelming for how high end my PC is.

Indeed. I did enjoy the game for the time I got to play it but for me at least it wont be a sole source MMO. It will be nice to jump in and out and see what happens. I do the same with LOTRO and I enjoy the hell out of it.
    Ya, having not subscription means I'll just leave it installed and easily come back all the time. I enjoyed the wvw and instanced pvp, but my main pvp fix will be coming from planetside 2... I've played the tech test a bit now.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    WvWvW is like being tossed into the last level of an RTS game you've never played before.

You don't know the build order, or what structures make what units. You don't know how to gather materials.

You can figure out how to attack, and that's about it.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Yeah, time for us Euros to talk a bit.

Option A: play with the main PA guild, have a US server as the home server for wuvwuv with the 'murricans. Upside: lots of other people to wuvwuv with. Downside: timezone issues.

Option B: Euro home server. We can still guest the US servers for PVE, but no wuvwuv with the American PAers. We'd also have to represent our own guild to gain influence, so no guild chat with the US side while doing that.

I only do PVE so it's up to you guys. I'm used to play on US servers so the latency difference won't be an issue for me.

If go to the US, can we guest at an EU server? I assume that yes and that we still have access to guildchat, right? Seems to be the best way.

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • Options
    It's nothing like an RTS, at all. And IMO it's very simple to figure out how to get supply and how to make the various equipment. Maybe WvW needs a tutorial for people who can't find the stuff on their own, but it's certainly not some great puzzle.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    Enig wrote: »

In the worst-case scenario people could join other guilds and keep NICE for special get-together events on the weekends or something.

I don't think that will happen for a long time though. GW2 is going to be very popular.

waitwaitwait

NICE was one of our guilds?

jesus, I saw you guys all over the place

I thought we were WANG

WANG wouldn't be allowed, since they came down on it in GW1.

I saw both PEE and CRAP wandering around, so this makes me sad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    Well, it was a Beta. I'm sure their stance on PEE and CRAP will change at release :)

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Luckily in the case of the cave turtle thing... you can just goto a ton of other areas to WvW.
    Yeah, I missed that you were talking about an actual exploit for a while there. The whole discussion seems moot to me because we don't know how easy the cave would be to hold if they couldn't do that.

I feel like you can have balanced, turtle-able spots (preferably only a few) if it requires a significant sacrifice on the defenders' part in order to get their turtle set up. A fair bit of resources and being unable to leave the place unattended seems like a not-insignificant price to pay to me. Maybe the cave could have slightly lesser/fewer NPCs there, or they could change the geography a bit so the sightlines for an arrow cart are limited.

Also, they can't defend the supply caravan from within the cave.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Beta is beta. I know some people were cagey about representing the WANG tag for various reasons. I expect ANet will crack down come next month.

Also we're more NICE than we are WANGs.

• Options
    It's nothing like an RTS, at all. And IMO it's very simple to figure out how to get supply and how to make the various equipment. Maybe WvW needs a tutorial for people who can't find the stuff on their own, but it's certainly not some great puzzle.

Yes im sure they are. But im sure you don't know everything there is know about wuvwuv either, maybe not on the same level as me. The familiarity that people have with competitive play varies. So if were done with the condescending remarks, can we actually get some constructive suggestions ?

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Huggles wrote: »
    Beta is beta. I know some people were cagey about representing the WANG tag for various reasons. I expect ANet will crack down come next month.

it also excludes the wangless.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Marslo wrote: »

Yes im sure they are. But im sure you don't know everything there is know about wuvwuv either, maybe not on the same level as me. The familiarity that people have with competitive play varies. So if were done with the condescending remarks, can we actually get some constructive suggestions ?

The guy didn't ask for advice on how to do anything, he just said WvW was like being thrown into an RTS without knowing anything. I simply said it's not. WvW is very simple to me. I said maybe it needs a tutorial for other people. I'm always for tutorials as long as they're voluntary, because there are always people who could benefit from them. Some of my good friends are these kinds of gamers. They're simply not going to figure things out that I and others will find very clear and easy to figure out.

• Options
    Laaaaand Shaaaark
    *Good Citizen Land Shark*

What just happened?

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Laaaaand Shaaaark

What just happened?

Shark is a ranger pet rezzing its Person?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Laaaaand Shaaaark

What just happened?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/"Search_and_Rescue" That just happened.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Laaaaand Shaaaark

What just happened?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/"Search_and_Rescue" That just happened.

Ah, in my head I thought the pet could only rez its master. Forgot that ability. Thanks.

May this noble Nurse Shark's sacrifice live on in our hearts.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Remember sit jumping? Those were the days.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular

If you played around with what you could get away with naming your characters at all during BWE3 I think that spoke volumes to "it's beta and we haven't copy-pasted the word document of bad words yet" mentality. After hearing just a handful of amusing to "how in the hell did that pass the filter?" names from a friend we made a mini game of trying to get vulgar names through the char gen process.

While some of the more obscure or not that bad, but usually banned just to be as PC as possible, words didn't surprise me as being usable during a beta there was a fucking mountain of pretty obvious, pretty bad to downright "how the fuck is this not banned yet" words and phrases available. Surprisingly "name is already in use" didn't pop up as often as I figured it would with some of the obviously atrocious names. Non-English slang was also pretty easy to get through the filter for the handful of things we knew between the two of us.

FYI, KillAllHumans was already taken. If you want to run around in a Golem named Bender better jump on that ASAP during the three day head start.

• Options
    Column wrote: »

If you played around with what you could get away with naming your characters at all during BWE3 I think that spoke volumes to "it's beta and we haven't copy-pasted the word document of bad words yet" mentality. After hearing just a handful of amusing to "how in the hell did that pass the filter?" names from a friend we made a mini game of trying to get vulgar names through the char gen process.

While some of the more obscure or not that bad, but usually banned just to be as PC as possible, words didn't surprise me as being usable during a beta there was a fucking mountain of pretty obvious, pretty bad to downright "how the fuck is this not banned yet" words and phrases available. Surprisingly "name is already in use" didn't pop up as often as I figured it would with some of the obviously atrocious names. Non-English slang was also pretty easy to get through the filter for the handful of things we knew between the two of us.

FYI, KillAllHumans was already taken. If you want to run around in a Golem named Bender better jump on that ASAP during the three day head start.

One of the arena.net employs that lurks around this thread stated that they wouldn't be "down" with puting WANG as are tag. So ya, that's what mostly happened there.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular

One of the arena.net employs that lurks around this thread stated that they wouldn't be "down" with puting WANG as are tag. So ya, that's what mostly happened there.

Halfway through the process I told him to send the list to WAM just to make sure some of the things would actually be on their list of banned words. 99% of our list isn't anything special no matter how vulgar it got; there was that 1% though between some obvious and obscure words, phrasing, and slang I could see them missing at least on the first banned word go around.

• Options

Halfway through the process I told him to send the list to WAM just to make sure some of the things would actually be on their list of banned words. 99% of our list isn't anything special no matter how vulgar it got; there was that 1% though between some obvious and obscure words, phrasing, and slang I could see them missing at least on the first banned word go around.

Probably would have been better to file a bug report since WaM hangs with us to chill as opposed to work. But at least you've brought it to someone's attention.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    chrpnk wrote: »
    I miss my Asura..

ib0Mi2pckVcFY2.png

....He looks like an albino Stitch. Huh.

• Options

If you don't think its like an RTS, then how can you claim to know anything about it?

In many aspects it's like being one of the little units in an RTS. You fight over resources to build up your bases... thats how many RTS games work. Resources >>> Build.

You literally took his comment as a chance to just sound condescending about how you think it simple to figure out. And for the most part it is, you open up the map and look at how the supply is moving, kinda figure out things from there... buy some siege see how it works, etc. You didn't just zone into the map and magically know every little mechanic involved. But yes, if you spend just a little time in there its not hard to figure out. Telling someone that just because they pointed out that its like an RTS doesn't help them in any way, when their point might have just been to state that it is indeed like an RTS... because it is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    i Saw a asura named PaRappa the Rapper, i got a good laugh.

• Options
    VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I thought the design was based around keeps/garrisons being easy to hold as long as you had supply, but was dependent on vulnerable caravans that originate from easy to attack supply camps. This cave camp seems to go against that model.

This is the key, it doesn't matter how disproportionate it is as long as there's enough defenders to keep the door repaired

They will run out of supply though at some point
    Frei wrote: »
    So, I'm wondering something that maybe a few others are wondering:

PA is full of MMO hoppers, and this is the doom of every PA guild. Extremely active at the beginning, down to 10 or so members several months later... people play every new MMO, get tired of it, then hype up the next one.

I'm wondering if this will be less of an issue because there isn't a subscription fee. And maybe people will give up their other subscription fee games to play this one. I don't know.

I'm sure there will be a lot of hoppers, but hopefully Arenanet can keep things interesting over the long term enough so its not as pronounced

Unlike SWTOR who to this day are still hammering in features the game was f'ing supposed to ship with

I just saw SWOTR went free to play until level 15? I usually only associate that with WOW or games that are dying (WAR).

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I thought there was an NPC when you port in that explains the WvW map (similar to the NPC in the Mists). I could be wrong, though.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Yeah, there is. I don't know what the NPC specfically covers, but it should help with introducing stuff like supply and equipment.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
This discussion has been closed.