As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The internet is broke [solved]

Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF MajorEast CoastRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Starting this afternoon, I realized a lot of my normal websites failing to load. It first started when a texting app (Textplus) wouldn't work, then slickdeals.net wouldn't load, then a handful of other sites.

So far I've...

reset router
reset modem
restarted everything (phone, desktop, etc)

I'm really stumped. These sites work fine using my phones data connection. AND they load on the phone. But the phones texting app won't work.

I tried using google dns, as well as turning off IPV6 on my desktop but nothing changed.

I'm officially out of ideas. I loathe to call tech support because I'm in Germany and at best I'd get someone who speaks basic English and struggles with technical words like "router" and "mouse". Not a slight on the Germans, they're trying hard! Sometimes it just doesn't work well though.

Thoughts?

Iceman.USAF on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Starting this afternoon, I realized a lot of my normal websites failing to load. It first started when a texting app (Textplus) wouldn't work, then slickdeals.net wouldn't load, then a handful of other sites.

So far I've...

reset router
    reset modem
    restarted everything (phone, desktop, etc)

I'm really stumped. These sites work fine using my phones data connection. AND they load on the phone. But the phones texting app won't work.

I tried using google dns, as well as turning off IPV6 on my desktop but nothing changed.

I'm officially out of ideas. I loathe to call tech support because I'm in Germany and at best I'd get someone who speaks basic English and struggles with technical words like "router" and "mouse". Not a slight on the Germans, they're trying hard! Sometimes it just doesn't work well though.

Thoughts?

Get someone who speaks German to call tech support for you? I did this in France when I had to deal with Orange Mobil and my French wasn't quite good enough to deal with tech support.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    just to be clear, the internet in general works but some sites don't load?

first thing to try is clearing out your local dns cache; this can be done by typing 'ipconfig /flushdns' (no quotes) into a command line on windows machines. If that doesn't work and using different dns servers doesn't give you any joy, you'll probably have to call your ISP.

ed: lol command typo

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well, I'll keep that in my hip pocket for future use. In the meantime, it seems to have resolved itself. I was suddenly inundated with updates from my text app, and all the sites having issues seem to work now.

Thanks for the help!

Iceman.USAF on