As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Display Issues / Boot-Up Issues

fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was drinking some water and accidentally knocked over my cup onto my desktop. A little bit of water got into the case from the top fan and landed on the graphic card and a small amount got into the PSU.

The computer froze when it first happened, I turned it off and was able to dry up the water with a towel. I waited a minute and tried to turn it back on but got an "insert disk for start-up" message. I didn't have a disk on me so I turned it off again. When I tried to turn it back on I get a dead screen (no activity from the desktop). Should I try to turn it on again or should I do something else? Also, if I do manage to get it displaying again, how do I get around the insert disk prompt?

Thanks so much, I'm cross posting this on Moe's Technology Tavern because I'm not sure which is more appropriate.

daleyk.png
fmz65 on

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    STOP do not try to turn it on anymore. when the water got into your psu it sounds like it shorted and killed your HD, that's why your getting that message on boot.

Do not use that psu anymore, chances are it's damaged and will just kill more components.

the lack of any video signal also means your video card is possible dead as well, but it could just be the psu.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Hmm so you're thinking that everything has been wiped from my computer?

If that's the case then I'm guessing I should buy a new PSU? Also, what could be the potential harm i turning it on one more time to see if there's any way its fixed itself?

daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Hmm so you're thinking that everything has been wiped from my computer?

If that's the case then I'm guessing I should buy a new PSU? Also, what could be the potential harm i turning it on one more time to see if there's any way its fixed itself?

well if the psu is damaged and your turn it on again you risk destroying even more components.
    It's not something I would personally risk unless your 100% sure it is fine by testing it disconnected from everything and see what the power output looks like, but most people don't have the equipment at home to do that.

as for the "insert disk" thing, that's the computer not finding your HD, so it could mean one of a few things:
    1. your HD is dead now
    2. your motherboard is damaged and the sata controller is dead
    3. your psu is damaged and isn't sending power to the HD

your best plan of action at this point is to not turn it on again, and if you can remove components and test them independently to see what is still working.
    if you don't have a spare computer, or a friend with one to do that, than I would buy a new psu and hope that is the only problem.
    or bring it into a local shop and get them to test all the parts, just make sure they test everything separately out of your machine

Foomy on
  • Options
    Well shit... I appreciate the help.

It looks like I'm going to have to go with a new PSU...

I'll let you know if it fixes the issue. Also, curiosity and hope got the better of me and I tried to turn it on again, this time the display still did not recognize and it looks as though the computer booted in 'full throttle' mode (with the fans spinning very fast). I guess I'll hope that when the PSU arrives all my problems will be solved, do you have any recommendations for a PSU?

daleyk.png
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Definitely wait for it to dry completely. It was a huge mistake trying to turn it on soon after because even if you wiped the water off, there was some left that you didn't get/see. Water is only the enemy when there is electricity present.

I would let it sit for at least 12 hours to let the water evaporate completely and then like Foomy said, test each component individually to see what's still salvageable. But it does seem like you will have to replace quite a bit of components unfortunately :(

• Options
    at this point I would recommend testing/geting someone to test parts before you run out and buy a new psu. I fear more than just it is dead.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah... I wasn't thinking clearly. I don't really have the ability to test each component individually... I'm just going to order a new PSU and hope for the best.

If not then I guess I'll have to figure out which items are broken. I don't know anyone with a desktop that I could use to test my components... Also when you say test individually do you mean just moving them (individually) into a new PC and seeing if it'll run?

Also, what got my hopes up was the first time I turned it back on after hard shutting it down it brought me to the CD prompt, but the last 3 times (all for 5 or so seconds) I tried to turn it back on it didn't display anything.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png