As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling Thread] When in doubt, Hornswoggle

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvbuXPnKSx4

This is facinating. Although I think the footage is from 1988, not 1987.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    i will like to get in this pick leauge. we pick who will win and by what matter? seem simple.

EB will release a form to fill out a day or two before the ppv, just fill that out and pick your winners, etc.

easy peasy

Maximum on
  • SpoochSpooch Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    YEAH @Spooch

YEAH

I HOLD ALL THE GOLD

YEAH

YEAH

YEA

MILLION OF DOLLAS, MILLION OF DOLLAS MILLION OF DOLLAS

Is there a title match at the PPV this weekend, cause I've got gold fever baby :D

FEED.ME.MORE

Spooch on
    Assuming direct control O-O
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    i will like to get in this pick leauge. we pick who will win and by what matter? seem simple.

EB will release a form to fill out a day or two before the ppv, just fill that out and pick your winners, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUf3S5NLzsk

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Spooch wrote: »
    YEAH @Spooch

YEAH

I HOLD ALL THE GOLD

YEAH

YEAH

YEA

MILLION OF DOLLAS, MILLION OF DOLLAS MILLION OF DOLLAS

Is there a title match at the PPV this weekend, cause I've got gold fever baby :D

FEED.ME.MORE

Nah

Just MITB matches that all of us are involved in

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Aces & Eights ‏@TheAcesAnd8s
    Two days @HulkHogan. You were warned. @Sting wasn't and you saw what we did to him. #DeadMansHand

I'm assuming this is related to the masked men that beat up Sting since Lagana retweeted this through the Iwantwrestling thing.

• MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    We don't have a belt.

We should have a belt.
    We're not going to last long enough to crown a champion.

Call it the KUDO Championship. Three guesses who is allowed to challenge for it.

I'm feeling the pain of the small promotion thing. This has got me to play EWR again and I decided to start my own Joshi fed. It's going very badly, turns out nobody wants to pay to see Mariko Yoshida beat up Courtney Rush every month.
    Who knew?

Pfft, I started a backyard fed out of boredom. Hired a bunch of guys for 1-2k and gonna see if I can build something out of it.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Sara Del Ray's hiring may have a different connotation than you think. I'm hopeful she gets her time in the limelight, but there's a possibility she was hired to also help train the WWE Divas. Either way her hiring is seen as a "major move" inside the company.

Triple H is being advertised for the Raw and SD after SS. Also, Rey Rey is officially being advertised for the SD SD next week.

Serena Deeb, former SES member, was arrested for BUI (Boating Under Influence) in Florida on Sunday.

Rock has said his goal is the WWE title and speculation is that he has a big announcement for the 1000th Raw. Overseas filming for Fast 6 doesn't begin till late July/early August so Dwayne will be live and in person.

WWE has recently rehired Dave "Fit" Finlay as a producer, reports Bill Apter from 1Wrestling.com.

Finlay was released from his agent/producer position in March of last year after allowing Miz to interrupt the Star-Spangled Banner at a live event. The stunt brought some negative press to WWE and in turn, Finlay got let go from the company.

No information was given on when Finlay officially started back with the company.

Bout time. And holy shit 1wrestling is still around? Apter's been involved in wrestling for like decades.

I'm so glad they finally did rehire Finlay.

edited July 2012
    Del Ray being hired as a trainer at least shows WWE is serious about developing good wrestlers.

And even better if she can still do Chikara shows.

wirehead26 on
    Also, are there roster updates for EWR or are you guys just using the out of the box stuff?

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    There are updates. Here's the link for the data I used.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e5e9120aywt8ntu

Although in my PWG playthrough the first month has been rough. Johnny Goodtime got injured for 9 months, TJ Perkins was a dick and had to be suspended, and then AAA signed Steen to a written contract. But WWE did release Rollins and Hero so I do have them. It's a mixed bag.

Also here's a wrestling match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTRd9uCK3m8

Magell on
    Where did you get that? Wanna get pics for everyone.

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I'm not going to include most of the news stuff in my latest post because the ammount of fires and hires at the start of any EWR game is just stupid.

Mwx884o.jpg
    edited July 2012
    Gonna try this challenge I saw on a forum:

Start a backyard promotion July 1, 2012
    Get it to National by July 1, 2013
    No hiring of former TNA/WWE wrestlers until you reach Cult status.

EDIT: Whoops, I think that's a TEW thing. Ah well.

Goose! on
    Oh, no, it can be done. You just have to go and create it first then start a new game.

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular

Aye. I post a handy form to fill out on the Friday before the PPV (after Smackdown airs).

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    After seeing the Anonymous Raw GM was Hornswaggle, I think they had planned for it to be him all along.

About Tyson Kidd, Arda Ocal on Aftermath suggests that him winning Money in the Bank would be a great way to build his character, particularly if he holds on to it or a while. I have to agree.
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Yeah missing that one month on accident really screwed me.

My mojo is all out of wack and now I have to pick against THE ODDS.

Nobody expects @Bedlam to pick the best. NOBODY.

And thats why I have to prove them wrong. Because nobody remembers 27th place.

Same here... missed that one month, and dropped like a rock, I did.
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    WWE has recently rehired Dave "Fit" Finlay as a producer, reports Bill Apter from 1Wrestling.com.

Finlay was released from his agent/producer position in March of last year after allowing Miz to interrupt the Star-Spangled Banner at a live event. The stunt brought some negative press to WWE and in turn, Finlay got let go from the company.

No information was given on when Finlay officially started back with the company.

Bout time. And holy shit 1wrestling is still around? Apter's been involved in wrestling for like decades.

Does he still participate in the "Apter mags"? PWI, etc.?

Speaking of which, you just don't see cameramen around ringside like you used to any more... any idea why that is? Did WWE give them the boot?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Damn @Alistair blew me out of the water. Mind you I can take solace that he beat just about everybody on that.

I put it down to my wicked awesome promo skills. Also the fact that I went nuts and picked face wins straight down the card.

Ironically I'll probably have to vacate the belt soon given that I'm clearly, way, way above average. I would love to know what the point was that I missed out on.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Goose! wrote: »
    Oh, no, it can be done. You just have to go and create it first then start a new game.

Fair warning. I'm having trouble hiring staff members with my backyard fed. Everyone, even the people of the lowest rating, refuses to talk to me. I have no idea how to fix that.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Serena Deeb, former SES member, was arrested for BUI (Boating Under Influence) in Florida on Sunday.

Well that sucks. The last time anyone posted something about her here, she was off alcohol and improving.

I don't understand why they'd possibly hire someone like Sara Del Rey to train other females. There isn't a lot she can do if they continue hiring brainless models like Kelly Kelly. I'm guessing even if it's their intent now, they'll change their minds eventually anyway and we'll see her on TV.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Anytime someone criticizes another person making a 'Be A Star' comment, I want to ask them if they know why WWE fired Serena.

kingworks on
    edited July 2012
    Mysterio's being advertised for next Tuesday's Smackdown taping.

And if you use DirecTV, you might be fucked after midnight. They're having a rights fees dispute with Viacom, and if it isn't settled by midnight, Viacom will likely pull all of its programming from DirecTV, which means no TNA/Spike TV, Nickelodeon, music stations, or Comedy Central. edit: never mind, it's already been settled.

Welp, never mind that "settlement" which was just a mis-report. DirecTV decided to drop Viacom rather than settle.

DirecTV customers, you will lose Spike TV, Nickelodeon, music stations, and Comedy Central, aka all of Viacom's programming, so no TNA on DirecTV.

Sweeney Tom on
    Doesn't that include CBS and MTV?

Yep.

No Teen Wolf for you guys either.

There still a chance DirecTV and Viacom can come to some sort of agreement? Although looking at reports it seems neither side is willing to budge.

wirehead26 wrote: »
    There still a chance DirecTV and Viacom can come to some sort of agreement? Although looking at reports it seems neither side is willing to budge.

It's too late. They had until midnight, and neither side budged. DirecTV customers have apparently already lost all the channels.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I don't understand why they'd possibly hire someone like Sara Del Rey to train other females. There isn't a lot she can do if they continue hiring brainless models like Kelly Kelly.

Why not? I mean, even disregarding that since 2006 when they hired Kelly they've also hired Tamina, Nattie Neidhart, AJ, Shaul Guerrero, Sofia Cortez and Britani Knight, all of whom had prior wrestling experience, Trish Stratus was just as much a "brainless model" as Kelly was when she was hired and she turned out pretty good. Isn't the problem really that for a long time the WWE didn't care whether or not their divas could wrestle and isn't hiring Sara Del Ray, even if it is just as a trainer (and to be clear, I also doubt we won't see her on television), a pretty good indication that they do care now?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    maybe Viacom should stop bothering with cable/satellite companies and start there own

why you gotta lead people on

David_T wrote: »
    I don't understand why they'd possibly hire someone like Sara Del Rey to train other females. There isn't a lot she can do if they continue hiring brainless models like Kelly Kelly.

Why not? I mean, even disregarding that since 2006 when they hired Kelly they've also hired Tamina, Nattie Neidhart, AJ, Shaul Guerrero, Sofia Cortez and Britani Knight, all of whom had prior wrestling experience, Trish Stratus was just as much a "brainless model" as Kelly was when she was hired and she turned out pretty good. Isn't the problem really that for a long time the WWE didn't care whether or not their divas could wrestle and isn't hiring Sara Del Ray, even if it is just as a trainer (and to be clear, I also doubt we won't see her on television), a pretty good indication that they do care now?

Exactly. Johnny Ace is gone, they aren't going to hire "brainless models" anymore.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Let's just wait and see on that. I'm not willing to give anybody who works for the WWE the benefit of the doubt when it comes to putting together a women's division.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    Didn't WWE have a great women's division in the early and mid 2000s?

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

Well assuming the WWE are actually consistent then yeah, I guess it would be. But that's what I'm wondering about, are they going to continue hiring models and expecting Sara Del Ray to make them decent wrestlers? Because that's what I got out of it and it seems pointless to me. But on second thought, I guess she could also help out ones that have at least a little experience in the ring (like the ones you mentioned).

As for Trish, well I think it's safe to say that after this many attempts, she was one of a kind. Though I never really thought Trish was that good anyway but that's a completely different argument.

wirehead, I somehow doubt Ace was acting alone there. I'm sure he was told what kind of people they wanted and that's who he went after.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    Early to mid 2000s was sort of the transition into the model era of Divas wrestling in the WWE it seemed. You had people like Candice Michelle and Stacy Keebler (thought I don't think she did that much wrestling, did she?) but you also had people like Lita and Trish Stratus.

Though now I remember the horror that was Christy Hemme as a wrestler.

Wasn't Finlay largely credited for making the division watchable?

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    There was a period where the division had Trish, Lita, Molly, Jazz, and Victoria all at the same time. That wasn't too bad.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I sort of stopped watching for a big chunk of the Attitude Era, like 2001ish onward. This allows me to keep the idea that Lita is the best female wrestler I've ever seen in WWE.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    There was a period where the division had Trish, Lita, Molly, Jazz, and Victoria all at the same time. That wasn't too bad.

And then moving forward there was also a time where they had Trish, Lita, Victoria, Mickie James and Beth at the same time.

euj90n71sojo.png
This discussion has been closed.