Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[RECRUITING CLOSED] [Mouse Guard PbP] The Long Road to Copperwood - OOC

12346

Posts

  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    Did Everyman including Roric's helping die or do I need to do that? I noticed he rolled 5 instead of his Fighter of 4, but it doesn't hurt to doublecheck, I think.

    Also, I suppose I'll go ahead and do the tagging Cunning for a die thing. Fake an injury to get the shrike to come incautiously close.

    Fudge, 0 successes. Ah well, next time.

    img]
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    I think he should have rolled 6: 4 for Fighter, 1 for having Gareth on his Team (rather than going through the motions of explaining how and why each character on a team can help every roll, I mentioned earlier that it's cool to just add 1 bonus die for every character on your team), and 1 more to represent your helping die, Marsh.

  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    Well then, I guess I can roll Roric's helping die and hope for a better outcome then the trait tag.

    Pffft, this just isn't my combat, clearly. 0 Successes. Again

    img]
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Okay, so in the first action phase, the Shrike successfully defended himself from the patrol, scrambling away from their attacks. He gained 5 successes, while the patrol gained only 3, so the Shrike actually gains 2 disposition.

    So both patrol teams still have 7 disposition each, and the Shrike's disposition jumps back up to 5.

    Now we're ready for the second action! I think we decided earlier that Finn will be foregoing his own maneuver to lend a helping die to Gareth's feint. The Shrike's gained some ground, but a good roll here can slap it right back into the dirt, before it has a chance to go on the offensive again on the third action! Let's do it!

    The Shrike gained 4 successes on its maneuver, so it will choose to both impede and gain position: both patrol teams will suffer a -1 die penalty on action 3, while the Shrike will gain +2 bonus dice.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    Alright, so 2 dice from Hunter plus one die from Finn plus one die from Lane? Against the Shrike's 4 successes?

    There's definitely a lot of meat to this resolution system.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Your Feint is an independent test in this case. Any successes you gain will reduce the enemy's disposition by an equal amount; the shrike's maneuver successes don't factor against you at all.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    Oh, that's awesome then; I was worried about having to get 1:1 dice:successes, heh.

    Feint vs Shrike Maneuver (4d6.hits(4)=3) 3 hits; not bad!

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Bad ass! The Shrike's disposition drops to 2. But it's about to go on the offensive! In the third phase of this round, the Shrike will attack with +2 bonus dice, while Lane and Basil work together for Defend. It doesn't matter who makes the roll; whoever has the highest dice pool, go right ahead. Ordinarily, I'd tell you to add a bonus die to represent the other team's help (since you're combining your efforts, rather than acting individually, for this action) but the Shrike reduced your dice pool with its maneuver, so just roll whatever you'd normally roll for Defend: Nature, if I remember correctly, plus an extra die for every member of your team.

    The Shrike gains 5 successes (4 + 1 automatic success, thanks to its Hooked Beak).

    milk ducks on
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    5 Nature, +2 dice from my Shield, +1 dice from Gareth.

    4 successes.

    Damn. I have yet to have less than half my dice pool come up cowards, which I understand is statistically likely, but still. I'm unsure if I should be rolling extra dice for Roric, Finn, and Basil, or if I'm rolling just for Gareth on my team.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Just for Gareth, in this instance. Technically, you had a bonus die representing the other team's help for this particular roll, but it was negated by the penalty from the Shrike's maneuver in action phase 2. So your 4 successes means that both teams lose 1 disposition.

    At this point, you're both at 6, I believe, while the Shrike is at 2.

    Final round, go!

  • the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    Lane has a higher nature(5) than Basil. Defending is not his normal mode. He will follow Lane's lead.

    "Incoming, Lane. Look alive!" Basil becomes depressingly aware of how small his daggers are compared to the bird hurtling towards them.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    The Shrike's next round of actions will be as follows:
    Capitalizing on its last offensive action, the Shrike will first Feint, to try and catch the patrol in the midst of a defensive reaction.
    Second, the Shrike will maneuver itself into a better position, hopefully granting itself some bonus dice for its third action, which will be a defend (which it critically needs).

  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    Lane snatches up his line and coils it deftpawed to the hook. The greyfur digs his feet in, determined to tear down the shrike at all costs.

    Feint, Maneuver, Feint
    Lane's first action is to Feint, dashing madly between the shrike's talons to launch his line from behind. Secondly he will Maneuver, using the line to tangle under talon and around wing. Third, Feint, flinging himself at the shrike's side and startling it enough for the others mice to ambush.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Sounds good, man. How about Team Defense?

  • the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    Basil knows that the lens and the civvie need to be protected, yet the thought of bold action being put to song and verse is much too tempting. Scampering from behind the sheltering bushes and onto a outlying branch, he prepares to pounce onto the foe as it rushes by. He hopes that his daggers will be enough to anchor him to the shrike's back and ride him to the ground.

    Basil chooses Attack for this round.

  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Finn will help drive home the attack with basil.

    which of us has the higher fighter skill, jake? i got 4

    notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Swish SwishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm thinking Roric will defend. Leave the Feinting and Attacking to bolder mice and stay back to protect their assets in case of a sudden disaster. No good driving away the Shrike if it gets the opportunity to bugger off with something in its clutches.

    Marshmallow on
    img]
  • the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ben,
    Basil has a Fighter skill of 4 as well.
    I was planning on tapping my Nimble trait to represent Basil scrambling up the branch to leap onto the bird.

    the_jake_1973 on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    I've got a pretty busy day today, guys. Sounds like we've got pretty much everything ready to do this next round of combat. That's awesome! I'll pop in tonight, after this slow down, and get everything moving.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Team Offense
    Lane Feint
    Gareth Maneuver
    Lane Feint

    Team Defense
    Basil Attack
    Roric Defend
    Finn Attack

    Does the order for Team Defense need to be re-arranged, or is that good? I just slotted it in there based on the order of the responses.

  • the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Basil rolls 4 for his Fight +2 for teammates + 1 for tapping the Nimble trait.

    A paltry 3 successes.
    MD, the roll is in the log.

    He must have slipped on the branch he was running along. Perhaps his leap was ill-timed and he missed the bird altogether.

    the_jake_1973 on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Basil rolls 4 for his Fight +2 for teammates + 1 for tapping the Nimble trait.

    A paltry 3 successes.
    MD, the roll is in the log.

    He must have slipped on the branch he was running along. Perhaps his leap was ill-timed and he missed the bird altogether.

    Im sure we still did good. The Shrike is Feinting on the same turn you Attacked. The bird cannot Attack or Defend against you. Finn lunged at the bird exposing it's feint which allowed you to drop from above onto it. Even if you slipped, the bird was looking at Finn :D

    notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    Teamwork will bring down the mighty! And there should be a good song to be sung.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Okay, so here's the action layout for Turn 3:

    Team Offense
    Lane Feint
    Gareth Maneuver
    Lane Feint
    Disposition: 6

    Team Defense
    Basil Attack
    Roric Defend
    Finn Attack
    Disposition: 6

    Team Shrike
    Feint
    Maneuver
    Defend
    Disposition: 2

    First phase: Basil's attack cuts straight through the Shrike's feint, catching it off-guard. Your 3 successes may not seem like much, but the Shrike's only got 2 disposition left, so you defeated it! Great job!

    We have to resolve the rest of the actions, though. Lane and the Shrike both feint, so they test independently to one another. The Shrike gains 4 successes, so that kind of sucks. Team Offense is going to take an additional 4 disposition damage! I suppose Lane doesn't even really need to roll, since Basil's attack already finished the encounter, but you're free to go ahead with it if you'd like.

    So the final tally is ...

    Team Offense: 2 Disposition
    Goal: Drive off the Shrike! (Major Compromise)

    Team Defense: 6 Disposition
    Goal: Protect Whitley and the lens! (Minor Compromise)

    Team Shrike: 0 Disposition
    Goal: Impale a tasty mouse on the thorns!

    So, all that we have left to do is compromise! What do you guys think is fair, given the final disposition results?

    milk ducks on
  • the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    Team Defend went with the "best defense is a good offense" theory. Because of that, I think that perhaps the lens got scratched. Perhaps it will not work as well when installed. I think a cracked lens would be too harsh. Another option is to make the bard injured in some way so that the patrol has to put him on a litter or something. It could be a minor sprained paw that the bard plays up. A further thought is to have Basil be pricked by a thorn as he was leaping onto the bird and he has an allegic reaction that swells a limb and gives him a -1D on the next encounter. I'm still getting a feel for where the line is drawn between major and minor.

    For Team Attack, Lane could have hurt himself during his attacks. Both Gareth and Lane could have the Angry status because Team Defend didn't succeed in protecting the civvie and lens.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Off the top of my head, here's what I'm thinking: Team Offense's goal was to drive the Shrike off. They accomplished that, but the bird is due a major compromise. Its goal was to impale a tasty mouse on some thorns, and it almost got that. So I'm thinking maybe it picks up Lane and hurls him into the thorn bushes, but he isn't impaled. Instead, he and Gareth are just Angry now (as per the condition).

    Team Defense's goal was to protect Whitley and the lens, and they only owe the Shrike a minor compromise, so I'm thinking maybe Whitley's a bit banged up, and the lens is scratched. Nothing serious. The lens is still perfectly viable; it's just no longer in pristine condition.

    The Shrike is injured and driven off! He won't be fucking with the mice of the territories again any time soon.

    How's that sound?

    milk ducks on
  • the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    Looks fair to me.

  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Sounds perfect, Angry is definitely an apt condition for Lane.

    The Everyman on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I'd like to have Finn take a greater compromise if possible. The lenses remaining perfect are my goal, after all. I'd even be willing to be Angry or have another condition.

    notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Works for me, man. If you're willing to take a greater condition penalty for the compromise, I'm willing to grant you a check for the player's turn. I'll have an in-character post up tomorrow, by the way.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Okay, I've finished writing out a sequence of the events for those three rounds of combat. It took a little longer than expected, lol. I should have something in-character written up and posted this afternoon. After that, we'll be able to get the IC thread up and moving again!

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    Is that the way you want to do challenges from now on? It seems to put a lot of the onus of in-character writing on you as opposed to spreading it out. We don't have to write each little helping-each-other out thing but we could probably write our major actions each turn? I dunno.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    That would probably be easier, yeah. Maybe in the future, I'll ask you guys to provide a little snippet of in character stuff, along with each roll you make. I'll try to sum this up as best I can without making it a novel, lol.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    Okay guys, combat's finally finished! Great job, everyone. Now let's get the IC thread moving again. I'll give it a few days before I introduce another conflict. We should be continuing toward the observatory, at this point. Only one more conflict before the GM's turn ends, and the Player's Turn begins. I'm pretty excited to see how everything turns out.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    We haven't had many posts since we cleared that last conflict. Is interest dying off?

    Should we plan for a short break, so everyone can return with fresh interest?

  • the_jake_1973the_jake_1973 Registered User regular
    I hope interest hasn't been lost. Basil is ready to scout a safer path on to the observatory.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    I'm ready and able. Posts have been dying off for a while, though. A couple of players haven't posted anything since the resolution of that last conflict. So I'm just trying to be realistic. If we're all ready and happy to keep moving, awesome. If not, let's be open about it. I can easily save our progress, and we can start it up again whenever our interest is refreshed.

    Just let me know how we want to continue.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    Can't promise that I can post today but I'll make sure to by tonight. I think... hell, I don't know. This is a fun game so far I'm just immensely distracted by personal stuff.

  • milk ducksmilk ducks Registered User regular
    No problem. I mean, as long as the thread's moving, I'm happy to keep going. I just want to make sure everyone else is having fun and ready to keep moving. When everyone's posted once or twice in the IC thread again, I'll move us toward the next Conflict. Once that's completed, it'll be the Player's Turn. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that goes, lol.

  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I've made my posts, Im just waiting on the GM and the other players to post their ingame stuff.

    notoriusben_zpsa205e831.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
Sign In or Register to comment.