As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Dark Knight Rises] IN 2 DAYS don't read the Ebert review

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    i just rewatched TDK with my dad last night

i still really like that movie

but in retrospect the plot doesn't make a lick of fucking sense

What doesn't make sense about it? Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

that's because it does make sense. There are certainly elements of jokers plots and so on which strain credulity but to expand that to say that the plot doesn't make a lick of sense is straight up wrong.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Heisenberg wrote: »

The first one, ho dang, guess the trailer music is all actually part of the soundtrack!

The second one, there's that deshay basara drum beat playing. Guess it's gonna be like a reocurring theme in the soundtrack. Good.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You're absolutely right, FAQ. Like, the scene where Batman gets fingerprints off a shattered bullet is stupider than most episodes of CSI, but it doesn't make the overall plot of the movie nonsensical at all.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think now is probably a good time to go on movie lockdown, I don't want to know anything else about it. This month is gonna suck

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Bane's theme is more menacing than the Joker's.

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    FAQ wrote: »

that's because it does make sense. There are certainly elements of jokers plots and so on which strain credulity but to expand that to say that the plot doesn't make a lick of sense is straight up wrong.

Any movie can not make any sense if you're committed to being dumb enough.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    remember when people were complaining that Inception didn't make any sense?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    My only real complaint with Inception - which isn't a flaw in the way the film was constructed as much as it is a preference of mine - was that the dream worlds created were often dull. Nolan has a mastery of technical specificity but that's almost a drawback when you want to create lands of limitless possibility.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I might watch this

maybe

depends how much free cash I have

• Options
    I have several problems with inception but I'm going to sleep now, so

good night folks

• Options
    Watch out for inceptors.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    maybe

aCOKL.gif
    I just wanted to use that gif

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I was wondering what that gif had to do with "maybe"

• Options
    Best gif

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that can't be the best .gif as this is the best .gif
    tumblr_m1dga62bln1r342fho1_500.gif

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    nope sorry it's not the best gif if it doesn't have frank reynolds in it

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    My only real complaint with Inception - which isn't a flaw in the way the film was constructed as much as it is a preference of mine - was that the dream worlds created were often dull. Nolan has a mastery of technical specificity but that's almost a drawback when you want to create lands of limitless possibility.

Yeah, besides Limbo and the scene where Ariadne bends Paris around, the whole "limitless possibility" thing wasn't really used to its fullest potential.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This film looks insane and grim as all hell.

I can't wait.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Also I saw Batman Begins and the Dark Knight in the Seattle IMAX theater.

I am not breaking that tradition anytime soon, which means 4 a.m. tickets opening night.

I'm going to be so tired at work that next day...

• Options
    Irvine spectrum IMAX for me. If there's a bigger screen in America I would be pretty surprised.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »

This is honestly a part of the reason why I preferred Paprika to Inception.

• Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    but isn't the reason why the dream worlds were dull was because people had to believe they weren't in a dream so they could incept and extract things in dreams

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Playing through Arkham City, I think I've discovered the secret to Batman.

It's the puns.

Bat puns, Cat puns, Clown puns, Bird puns, Ice puns, Plant puns, Binary puns, etc. 60% of the dialogue must be puns. And why not, when it's just so... punnable.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Robcham wrote: »
    but isn't the reason why the dream worlds were dull was because people had to believe they weren't in a dream so they could incept and extract things in dreams

yeah! just saw it again father's day, that's exactly why.

• Options
    edited June 2012

The Joker does push pretty heavily on an audience's disbelief but for myself I always just accepted it as him planning win-win situations.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    -Tal wrote: »

It's the puns.

Bat puns, Cat puns, Clown puns, Bird puns, Ice puns, Plant puns, Binary puns, etc. 60% of the dialogue must be puns. And why not, when it's just so... punnable.

Really?

Because through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City I figured out Batman's secret.

Be fucking angry and pissed off at everything & everyone.

And the angrier I got the better I was at the game.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    asides from Paris and Limbo I mean

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

The Joker does push pretty heavily on an audience's disbelief but for myself I always just accepted it as him planning win-win situations.

that seems so un-Joker though

he even has a line about how plans are dumb and he just does things

except he very clearly has intricate plans set up

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

Go with me here.

The Joker lies.

• Options
    yes, but I'm saying that is more in line with his character than having ridiculously complex plans that go off with barely a hitch

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    yeah the "dog chasing cars" speech wasn't the Joker explaining who he was so much as saying what he needed to say to finally crack Harvey

• Options
    maybe he's just really good at improvising and has really good luck

• Options
    yes, but I'm saying that is more in line with his character than having ridiculously complex plans that go off with barely a hitch

Really? A huge part of the Joker is super-intricate plans. He does that all the time.

And he does it all in the theater of chaos.

I never viewed it as the Joker having a huge super-duper plan. But rather having several different plans all colliding and acting as contingencies for each other.

• Options

Go with me here.

The Joker lies.

That's one of the things I loved about Nolan's portrayal of the Joker that I think a lot of people didn't get for some reason, even after he tells two completely different stories about how he got his scars.

I remember reading some reviews for the movie where the reviewer seems to have ignored or missed one of the stories and cites the other in their review as truth.

• Options

Really? A huge part of the Joker is super-intricate plans. He does that all the time.

I never viewed it as the Joker having a huge super-duper plan. But rather having several different plans all colliding and acting as contingencies for each other.

I mean yes, the Joker does have schemes, but there's usually a sense of chaos and improvisation to them, he always knows what to do but also leaves loose room to have extra fun

TDK Joker feels like he actually sat in a room and wrote the plot down on a piece of paper

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Yeah, that's true.

Still, that all kinda went out the window once they told Fisher that he was dreaming.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Yep, that's exactly it. It also worked for the audience. Dreams feel real while we're in them.
    I love how much debate there was over the ending, even though the point was that it didn't matter if it was a dream or not. Cobb achieved his goal and was finally in the reality that he desired for so long.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    RE: The Joker, I'm fairly certain that he improvised just as much as he planned.

Stuff like Bruce's campaign party and turning all of Gotham on Reese while he went after Harvey, that all strikes me as some pretty on-the-spot planning.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

It's the puns.

Really?

Because through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City I figured out Batman's secret.

Be fucking angry and pissed off at everything & everyone.

And the angrier I got the better I was at the game.

Bale flat out says he's angry in the latest trailer

just full on "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEAAAAAADDDDDDD" mode

• Options
    edited June 2012

Yeah he plans shit like crazy but also has extraordinary improvisational skills. Almost every word he said to Dent in the Hospital was bullshit just to get him to turn bad, although he really didn't give a shit about possibly dying when it came to the coin toss.

Heisenberg on
This discussion has been closed.