As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Table Top Gaming at PAX '07?

TheSnowiestWhaleTheSnowiestWhale Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in PAX Archive
Any one have an idea of what table top game's are going to be run this year? I know that they have an area for all that stuff, but for the life of me I can't seem to remember what games and events they had running last year for table top nerds like my self. Does any one remember Warmachine being played last year? I picked it up a PAX last year and would like to watch a tourney if they have one.

Gay N00b Laggers
=GNL=
Look for us in the pink at PAX '08!
TheSnowiestWhale on

• de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We are currently in the process of determining that, though it's a safe bet that most, if not all of the games from last year will be making a re-appearance. Probably going to be a lot more new stuff as well.

As for an actual list, we'll let you know when we know.

de4dmeta1 on
  • ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will the tabletop area just be a place to bring your own games, or will it also have games ready to play?

I know there's a couple of things i want to bring along.

Chizzer on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chizzer wrote: »
    Will the tabletop area just be a place to bring your own games, or will it also have games ready to play?

I know there's a couple of things i want to bring along.

Both.
    There will be a place to checkout games to play with your friends/peoples

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do you have to register beforehand or anything to run a game? I'm trying to talk my friend Corey into running a White Wolf game of some sort if he goes.

Or is the tabletop thing only for MtG and the like?

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    if he wants to just get a game of something going. Just bring it, find an empty table and have at it.

If its a tournament he wants then thats a different story.

(did you forget to turn on xfire/msn? ;) )

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Patrick RothfussPatrick Rothfuss Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is there going to be anyone from Hero system there running games and demos?

Their company went through some finantial trouble a while back and they dropped off the map, but now they're back and kicking out new product again. I'd love to attend a couple Hero games run by some pros....

pat

Patrick Rothfuss on
    "THE NAME OF THE WIND has everything fantasy readers like, magic and mysteries and ancient evil, but it's also humorous and terrifying and completely believable."
    --Tad Williams

"THE NAME OF THE WIND marks the debut of a writer we would all do well to watch. Patrick Rothfuss has real talent, and his tale of Kvothe is deep and intricate and wondrous."
    --Terry Brooks

http://nameofthewind.com/
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    will there be warhammerings?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited March 2007
    trentsteel wrote: »

Pretty sure, yeah, but how much warhammerings is yet to be determined.

de4dmeta1 on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If there is a bunch of terrain available for public use, I'm pretty sure we'll see at least one game of BrikWars. If Rankenphile's down, I'm certainly in.

b0wser on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, I'd love to get into tabletop gaming, but everybody I know who plays has a "No n00bs" attitude to rival the worst of Battle.net. This isn't to say they're unfriendly, just that they don't want to take time out of their weekly session to run a complete newbie through the simplest of details.

So I was wondering if someone would be willing to run a game geared towards complete tabletop newbies. Just a basic game of Dungeons & Dragons or something for people who have never played any sort of pen & paper before.

Ideally, the person running this would be articulate, have the patience of a saint and a deep understanding of the rules. Is anybody willing to run something of the type?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't say anything specific right now, but there'll be *plenty* of structured tabletop content at PAX 07 tailored specifically for the new (or lapsed) RPG gamer.

Honestly, this year's tabletop offering will blow your socks off. A whole floor of the convention center is dedicated to TT, and the exhibitor support is amazing.

Freeplay is also a big component of tabletop, and there are several thousand square feet that'll just be open tables for anyone to run a game. We'll have games for loan on-site, or you can bring your own. Loaner terrain is a good idea; I'll pass that idea along to the Tabletop marshal.

Mike Fehlauer on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd love to get into tabletop gaming, but everybody I know who plays has a "No n00bs" attitude to rival the worst of Battle.net. This isn't to say they're unfriendly, just that they don't want to take time out of their weekly session to run a complete newbie through the simplest of details.

So I was wondering if someone would be willing to run a game geared towards complete tabletop newbies. Just a basic game of Dungeons & Dragons or something for people who have never played any sort of pen & paper before.

Ideally, the person running this would be articulate, have the patience of a saint and a deep understanding of the rules. Is anybody willing to run something of the type?

I'd be glad to run a newbie game!

However I am incredibly old school and only really know 2E D&D. If that was acceptable however I'd be more than willing to do so. Just lemme know :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ctishman wrote: »

I'd be glad to run a newbie game!

However I am incredibly old school and only really know 2E D&D. If that was acceptable however I'd be more than willing to do so. Just lemme know :)

I am up for a newbie game of D&D hoping to learn something about Warhammer 40k as well.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hell yes!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited March 2007
    I am currently working on getting a buddy of mine to some along and run a few games of Paranoia - the less you know about the rules, the better, so it's a perfect n00b game.

Also very fun stabbing other players in the back.

de4dmeta1 on
  • LindygamerLindygamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ive never planned D&D. Apparently its one of those rights of passage ive never done and feel about half as nerdy as I should be. I have played munchkin though, so I have a rough idea. A rough idea how to stab people in the back for maximum entertainment mind you.

Lindygamer on
    The opinions I don't have are the opinions I don't got.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheSnowiestWhaleTheSnowiestWhale Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would be completely willing to run some quick adventures to introduce some new players to the game. I enjoy spreding the fun around.

If you've never played before, and are interested in learning, let me know. When the schedual of PAX comes out I'll set aside a chunk of time to play "unofficially." I'll make sure to set it up so we can play as long as you guy's need/want.

TheSnowiestWhale on
    Gay N00b Laggers
    =GNL=
    Look for us in the pink at PAX '08!
  • Spyder ZSpyder Z I am What and Who I am Shoreline, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Heh, seems like all it takes is the now largest gaming con in the US to get Game Masters willing to "roll out." ;P I've never "Officially" played D&D, and I likely won't ever. I enjoy a more free structured(See few if any "Set Rules") style, and have sucessfully run such a game(For HardCore D&Der's and complete Noobs) for a number of years. Well up until I moved up here to WA. So I'd also likely be willing to run a game(Pre or Post PAX[In the line, after the doors lock us out, or the days before or after]) for a small group.
    We should(As it gets closer to PAX, and the crowds pick up) figure out who is willing to run what kind of games, and then those who want to play should create(With instructions from the Storyteller of their choice) characters pre PAX(As that's what takes the most time when you're starting a game) so that they can just jump in when the time comes(Of course I expect that there will be people who just show up and want to play, but the less time needed to make characters, the more time spent in the game. ;P)

Spyder Z on
  • aproposapropos Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    I hope to play some Carcassonne this year :) It's my favorite.

apropos on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    de4dmeta1 wrote: »
    trentsteel wrote: »

Pretty sure, yeah, but how much warhammerings is yet to be determined.

I'd consider dragging some miniatures out. It's been way too long since I played, though. I don't remember anything.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Last year I played nothing but Illuminati and Betrayal at House on the Hill. It was a blast. I'd love to get some more 'house' in this year.

I'd be interested in playing Paranoia. I don't remember how to play at all so I guess I'm perfect?

Hmmmm.

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    apropos wrote: »
    I hope to play some Carcassonne this year :) It's my favorite.

I am interested by this game, it is my goal this PAX to try it out.

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
    edited April 2007
    Just a bit of an update on the tabletoppings this year - Saturday will be featuring a 40k Mega-Battle. Details below.

ORKFEST
    Da Rumble On Da West Coast

Will you stand and defend the planet Tycho's Reach in the face of an Ork WAAAGH!, or join the green tide of Orks looking to take it for their own? The very earth will crack and shudder under the onslaught - can you handle it?
    Bring your friends, bring your enemies, leave the squigs at home!

Scenario: Assassination!
    The objective of the battle is to kill off the generals of the opposing forces. The side (Order, Disorder) with the highest kill-count at the end of the battle wins. Only nominated targets count towards this score.
    (Nominated targets are determined by event staff) Additional objectives and their associated rewards will be determined before PAX.

Force Size Up to 2500 pt lists, with one "supertoy" of equal/lesser point value (VDR creations allowed and encouraged, with judges final approval - no spray painted soda bottles!) All models must be fully painted(3 colors minimum), no exceptions.

Number of players:36 (maximum)

Signup all-day Friday, Setup 9-10am Saturday, game runs until 8pm or turn 6.

This is going to be a decidedly [game] - we'll be using more than 200 square feet of tablespace to accomodate it!

How's that for Warhammerings?

de4dmeta1 on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For people bringing their own boardgames along, what would be a good place to post a list looking for other players in advance?

Tiemler on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »
    For people bringing their own boardgames along, what would be a good place to post a list looking for other players in advance?

Right here on the forums, we surf the crap out of this place during PAX

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whoever is running Paranoia, count me in, that game is awesome.

I am an experienced 3.5 D&D DM and can certainly run a game for the uninitiated, though I would be willing to bet that Paizo or Wizards will be doing a dungeon delve or two as well.

Also if anyone wants to get into some serious arguments, I can bring Diplomacy as well.

As for the space, lets hope this years Table Top area is not taken over by sales staff trying to push their new card game. Last year we had a hell of a time finding space to set up for pick up game of D&D cause of all the space given over to some new card game advertising.

Also If anyone is looking for a quick game of 3 Dragon Ante I will defiantly be bringing my cards and chips.

TheProphetElijah on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Also if anyone wants to get into some serious arguments, I can bring Diplomacy as well.

Shit son... I haven't had a good F2F game of Dip in awhile.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Diplomacy is such a great game, but I have never seen more than 2 games played before someone gets really bent out of shape.

Though what can you expect from a strategy game where the whole strategy is making and breaking deals with your friends. A game where the questions isn't if your friend will betray you but whether he'll betray you before you betray him.

TheProphetElijah on
This discussion has been closed.