As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Hargaad has the new form! Painhouse is about to get majorly revamped!

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So I played my first solo queue ranked game yesterday, having been wanting to start doing ranked for when I'm not playing with my buddies who just want to play normal draft. I jungled malphite. All 3 of our lanes lost reaaaally hard right from the start and we ended up surrendering. However, unexpectedly, in pre, mid-game, and post-game chat, my team was all civil and didn't rage even though the game went badly, so I couldn't even be mad that there was nothing I could do to win the game. I know there will be games where I'm on the end of my team winning all lanes too, so it's all good.

• Options
    Anybody have any thoughts on top laners that counter Irelia? I play her pretty well and love her, but I don't want to pick her into bad matchups if I can help it. I find her kit allows you to lane against most tops, and as long as you can adapt your playstyle/build to the matchup you can do fine. I find she works very well against Malphite, because true damage gives no fucks about his armor and she has sustain, and last night I beat a Kayle so hard he just left lane with 15 cs to try to roam, but in both cases, I'm not sure how much was matchup versus outplaying them.

I don't get to top lane that often, but I find I typically do well in that lane, and find it generally to be fun to play.

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    Olaf absolutely destroys her.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    I started playing Fiora again last night and I forgot how much fun she is too play. Going Boots, Wriggles, Infinity Edge cranks up her damage and her ult saved me from being killed a few times while I took out some opposing champs. I am bummed I haven't seen her much in tournament play though. I want to find some good gameplay videos of people using her.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Fiora destroys irelia as well.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Had a woefully bad series of games last night. After talking to Smaug in the morning about how I tend to play pretty safely and not die too much, I had 3 games in a row with double digit deaths (and subsequent losses).

The last one was particularly bad. I ended up top (rarely play top) and chose Olaf. Enemy top chooses Kennen, super. It's Top Olaf/Mid Orianna/Graves/Support Galio/Jungle GP versus Top Kennen/Mid Lux/Vayne/Supportcrank/Jungle Nautilus, so I was kind of expecting to have a bad time. What I was not expecting was for GP not to come anywhere near top until 13 minutes into the game, after accusing me of feeding (died once 1v1ing Kennen to get first blood, a second time to a Nautilus gank, and a third time when Nautilus, Kennen, and Blitzcrank all got me under my tower). He walked into the now warded river bush and went "see? warded" and then left, I never saw him again.

Oh, he also said he couldn't gank before 6 because he wouldn't have any CC.

fffffff

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    I could see Olaf beating Irelia pretty hard, since his true damage is higher than hers, though I still think I could survive that lane without feeding. Fiora doesn't scare me as Irelia. They both have sustain, but imo the matchup would depend on who picked their trades better. Thing about Irelia is she can rush tabi and a randuin's against somebody like Fiora and still do enough damage to trade with true damage. Same thing you do against a Riven.

• Options
    I started playing Fiora again last night and I forgot how much fun she is too play. Going Boots, Wriggles, Infinity Edge cranks up her damage and her ult saved me from being killed a few times while I took out some opposing champs. I am bummed I haven't seen her much in tournament play though. I want to find some good gameplay videos of people using her.

You won't see Fiora in tourney play, because she only thrives in certain matchups, and probably more importantly, most people want a top lane who can get tanky and play the anti carry better than she can. Late game Irelia, Jax, Olaf, Yorick, etc. are all going to survive longer on the back lines of the enemy team killing the enemy carries. If you're good with her, she's great in solo queue, but she's basically Tryndamere or Master Yi, a melee glass cannon hyper carry who doesn't really fit the current meta that well.

With Fiora, if you can stomp your lane and snowball though, you can carry the whole game.

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »

You won't see Fiora in tourney play, because she only thrives in certain matchups, and probably more importantly, most people want a top lane who can get tanky and play the anti carry better than she can. Late game Irelia, Jax, Olaf, Yorick, etc. are all going to survive longer on the back lines of the enemy team killing the enemy carries. If you're good with her, she's great in solo queue, but she's basically Tryndamere or Master Yi, a melee glass cannon hyper carry who doesn't really fit the current meta that well.

With Fiora, if you can stomp your lane and snowball though, you can carry the whole game.

Oh well I'm glad she's a solid solo Q choice since that's what I play mostly. You're right she does get targeted down and destroyed pretty easy but I do enjoy double dashing and killing champions or harassing ranged with her W. It's pretty hilarious.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Graves is the best.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Graves is just stupid. Let's give a character an excellent mobility skill and steroid in one skill, so he can have a really strong poke/wave clearing spell in the other, and a localized nocturne ult/slow in the last. And an absurd damage aoe ult to top it off. Oh, and lets give him a passive and base stats than pretty much allows him to win any trade without using his stupidly good kit.

Anyone who loses lane as graves got immensely outplayed. He is such bullshit.

• Options
    Right, I really don't know a lot about this game. In fact I just came back from about a year of not playing, so my question is, what is a kit? The character skillset? I just like Graves because he's a cool desperado. With a shotgun.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    Whenever I see a Fiora on the enemy team and I'm not top lane I hate it instantly, because so many people don't understand how easily she can kill you. Then they feed her, then she 1v2s the top and jungler when he tries to go, then she kills your whole team, lol.

• Options
    Yeah, character skillset. There is nothing wrong with liking him, I just felt like venting. Graves has become like Lee Sin, in that you see him almost every game these days, and since I play a lot of bot lane it's annoying.

• Options
    Well that's a little disappointing that he's overused, but at least I understand it. I just tried him out last week as a free character since he looked cool. I had fun playing him, but I only ever ended up playing against him like once or twice maybe, and I never had any competition trying to pick him, so maybe you've just had terrible luck getting matched against him? I didn't see as many of the characters I used to really hate, like Warwick or Rammus, but I guess with so many more characters out now the variety has spread out a little more.

• Options
    Graves is honestly not OP at all, he's just so strong at all phases of the game it feels like it. Tristana, Kog, and Vayne all carry way harder than him late game, but they suffer from a hella weak mid game, a requirement to have your team comp built around protecting you, and a crazy high skillcap and tendency to get dominated in lane respectively.

Graves and Ahri are two characters I don't care much for(when I'm not playing them =P), because they can't really be counterpicked and are just very good all around. If I see the other AD pick graves first I usually go sivir, because you can eat his e-q combo, and you can harass him from further than he can you.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Anybody have any thoughts on top laners that counter Irelia? I play her pretty well and love her, but I don't want to pick her into bad matchups if I can help it. I find her kit allows you to lane against most tops, and as long as you can adapt your playstyle/build to the matchup you can do fine. I find she works very well against Malphite, because true damage gives no fucks about his armor and she has sustain, and last night I beat a Kayle so hard he just left lane with 15 cs to try to roam, but in both cases, I'm not sure how much was matchup versus outplaying them.

I don't get to top lane that often, but I find I typically do well in that lane, and find it generally to be fun to play.
    Malphite should beat Irelia TBH, since he can E/Q and walk away from her damage.

Renekton crushes her. Garen beats her, but needs to use that advantage well in teamfights. Olaf crushes her.
    Graves is honestly not OP at all, he's just so strong at all phases of the game it feels like it. Tristana, Kog, and Vayne all carry way harder than him late game, but they suffer from a hella weak mid game, a requirement to have your team comp built around protecting you, and a crazy high skillcap and tendency to get dominated in lane respectively.

Graves and Ahri are two characters I don't care much for(when I'm not playing them =P), because they can't really be counterpicked and are just very good all around. If I see the other AD pick graves first I usually go sivir, because you can eat his e-q combo, and you can harass him from further than he can you.
    IME< Brand and Cass are both good choices against Ahri, actually.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Malphite can't EQ Irelia with impunity because she can bladesurge, stun(if he took her health lower than his, and get 2 or 3 true damage autos in easily. And she has sustain and he doesn't. Maybe a skill matchup, but most are.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    2nd ranked placement match. Ended 14/3/2 after starting 14/0/2 as Ahri. Utterly dominated their team, but my team literally would ignore me every time I tried to get them to group together and just push a lane and force a teamfight. Instead, the Shyvana, Riven, and Xin Zhao(yes, no AD carry, the other team didn't have one either for whatever reason) were as bad as you can possibly be at those champs and would just roam and try to get into 1v1s. They still can't bring me down though. I will eventually not get teamed with the worst league has to offer.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    redxxiiredxxii Persona Non Grata Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I play a lot of solo-top Irelia, and I know there are a few champs I hate to play against. Renekton, Olaf, and Vlad are the top three counters, since two can just burst you down, and Vlad just pools and drains you all day.

Fiora's not too bad, just got to wait for her to her W or E, back peddle till they wear off, then use my own Q/E combo to strike.

redxxii on
    LoL: Handweasel
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Am I just bad at Fiora or does she have a lot of counters top?

Who does she counter? GP? and Irealia apparently.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Malphite can't EQ Irelia with impunity because she can bladesurge, stun(if he took her health lower than his, and get 2 or 3 true damage autos in easily. And she has sustain and he doesn't. Maybe a skill matchup, but most are.
    You're forgetting that Malphite's E nerfs her AS something fierce. By the time she has significant true damage enough to overcome that, Malphite should have Philo and Glacial if he went that route, or he should have lots of Mpen and be absolutely chunking her every time she tries to go in on him.

Who does she counter? GP?
    Fiora hard counters GP and generally craps on Vlad so long as it's top (she doesn't win nearly as hard in mid due to the shorter lane and lack of bushes). I'm pretty sure she beats up Nasus as well, but who doesn't?

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    You're forgetting that Malphite's E nerfs her AS something fierce. By the time she has significant true damage enough to overcome that, Malphite should have Philo and Glacial if he went that route, or he should have lots of Mpen and be absolutely chunking her every time she tries to go in on him.

Fiora hard counters GP and generally craps on Vlad so long as it's top (she doesn't win nearly as hard in mid due to the shorter lane and lack of bushes). I'm pretty sure she beats up Nasus as well, but who doesn't?

I peeked in on Hargaad and SummaryJudgement yesterday and got to see a level 13 Nasus totally beat down a level 16 Irelia repeatedly in duels -- no idea what was going on there.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options

Malphite E-Qs, I attack minions for 4 seconds, then go on him for a stun true damage trade then back out. Did he run too far away to go harass him back? Then he misses CS and I don't, and I sustain back on the minions. Also, if he wants to get in minions and E he'll push the lane and I'll happily freeze it hard just outside my turret. Skill matchup for sure.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I need to get back into Fiora, I think I need to shake up my entire roster a bit. My udyr jungle and riven top have been really weak lately but last night I started playing Yi again who was the first jungler I ever used consistently and I got right back into the swing of things. I died a lot towards the end because I got lazy from how easy it was for me to kill almost their entire team if they didn't save their CC for me.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Just got a win out of a team that was awful in the laning phase and good at teamfights. Nice reversal of the usual trend, I guess.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Frustrating: I hate how the new patch has made it so the lobby creator in premade games is automatically the first pick/ban chooser for the team. I'm usually the guy making the lobbies, and so now I find myself in the position of having to worry about first pick counterpicks and all that constantly. I don't understand why they changed it?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Just have your team captain make the lobbies now, I'm in favor of the change myself.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Or ask your team who you should ban? And pick someone elses champion and trade. Its usually good to pick up the support /ad carry first

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Frustrating: I hate how the new patch has made it so the lobby creator in premade games is automatically the first pick/ban chooser for the team. I'm usually the guy making the lobbies, and so now I find myself in the position of having to worry about first pick counterpicks and all that constantly. I don't understand why they changed it?

Shit, if that's all that bothers you, I'll make all the games and first pick a support all day, erryday!

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I have to say I've really been enjoying Varus for AD Carry. Skilling up his W makes last hitting easier, and makes harass stronger, and his Ult is amazing for both escapes and for picks for a teamfight.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »

I peeked in on Hargaad and SummaryJudgement yesterday and got to see a level 13 Nasus totally beat down a level 16 Irelia repeatedly in duels -- no idea what was going on there.

People tend to underestimate Nasus. He can dish out the dmg if the enemy just stands there and tries to duel him. His pool and Q can really add up.
    Nasus E drops enemies armor, and then Q for a lot more damage. It's a pretty easy kit to understand, but it takes a lot of understanding whether you can dish out equal or more damage with his Q to stay in a fight.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    I don't care for Varus, but he's definitely a solid champ, especially in aoe teams.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Shit, if that's all that bothers you, I'll make all the games and first pick a support all day, erryday!

Sold! <3 you broski

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    So I'm going to take a complete gamble and guess that levelling Draven's spinning axe is poop, and you should really focus on the steroid and side push, right?

But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    Looking for games, anyone awake?

• Options
    Caenem wrote: »
    So I'm going to take a complete gamble and guess that levelling Draven's spinning axe is poop, and you should really focus on the steroid and side push, right?

Axe first, always. It increases the bonus AD on the axe hit from 45 to 85% at rank 5. The extra move speed/attack speed on W is not worth it to max first, since it's already good by maxing it second. I would never have E be anything but a 1 point wonder that you level last.

• Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular

Malphite E-Qs, I attack minions for 4 seconds, then go on him for a stun true damage trade then back out. Did he run too far away to go harass him back? Then he misses CS and I don't, and I sustain back on the minions. Also, if he wants to get in minions and E he'll push the lane and I'll happily freeze it hard just outside my turret. Skill matchup for sure.

Irelia's W + E + a hit won't deal significant damage past malphite's shield. You will lose every trade with malphite. "I'll just let myself get to low health against this towerdiving monster so I can stun him" isn't a good idea.

Against an Irelia additionally, Malphite gets to level up his E first instead of Q. This lets him get to midgame in a much better teamfight position than if he had to level Q.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Hey guys, how would you jungle Fizz, if you were going to jungle Fizz? I see guides for tanky AD, but I feel like you could almost just say screw it, start cloth/5, maybe build razors, then get Sheen and continue on as though you were an AP Mid. Gonna play some bot games tonight and see.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    You might end up basing a lot without lifesteal though, which you dont want to build if you are going AP. But why not give it a go and tell us :D

Dancing Bagel
This discussion has been closed.