As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: The other shoe drops at Sega

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Also, diminishing a person's accomplishments is a pretty shitty thing to do. Yeah, no doubt some people dig her cause she's attractive, but this applies to pretty much EVERY PERSON KNOWN FOR ACTING.

singling her out for it seems unfair.

I don't deny she has made a career out of her acting, and more power to her for it. But lets be honest, in many cases a career in acting is all about WHO you know (and getting in good with a cult favorite like Whedon definitely helps). Hell there are TONS of mediocre or worse actors out there that are huge stars largely because they have connections.

I just don't think she is that talented, nor do I think she has really brought anything to gaming.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    She is a glorified booth babe. Guy was blunt (though I admire that), but telling the truth and shouldn't have been fired for it.

Well, again 'telling the truth' is a matter of the ear of the beholder (?) but he definitely shouldn't have been fired for it. Worse things get said all the time and apologies are issued for them, and repeat offenders likely get the axe. This guy tripping once and getting fired makes it seem like Felicia Day is some sort of metaphorical holy ground. I hate it when people get elevated to that level.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Nepotism accounts for probably (pulling this number out of my ass) 60-80% of success in Hollywood these days, to varying degrees. Jon Hamm, Christopher Nolan, Charlize Theron, Jeremy Renner and Channing Tatum are the only people I can think of off the top of my head that made it without any connections starting out and didn't come from a lot of money. And even then, 3 of them were lucky enough to be born beautiful. Nolan is inspiring because he made it mostly out of sheer talent and hard work, though luck always is a tremendous factor.

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    She is a glorified booth babe. Guy was blunt (though I admire that), but telling the truth and shouldn't have been fired for it.

Well, again 'telling the truth' is a matter of the ear of the beholder (?) but he definitely shouldn't have been fired for it. Worse things get said all the time and apologies are issued for them, and repeat offenders likely get the axe. This guy tripping once and getting fired makes it seem like Felicia Day is some sort of metaphorical holy ground. I hate it when people get elevated to that level.

Yes to all this.

Journalist A: "Peter Molyneux is a deranged nutjob who should have had his developer rights taken away a decade ago."
    Editor: "Brillant, love it. Title will be Peter Monlynuts."
    Journalist B: "Felicia Day is a glorified booth babe."
    Editor: "I won't have that type of slander here! You're fired!"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If Felicia Day comments on this saying it actually affected her, I'll have some sympathy. But chances are, it doesn't matter to her. And even if it did, I doubt it mattered enough to have someone fired.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Well...honestly I don't think it was a holy ground issue so much as, from what I've read:

Guy says something dumb.
    Felicia Day thinks that's mean.
    Friends and fans come to her defense.
    Trolls comes to guy's defense.
    Internet shitstorm occurs to the point where it isn't about what originally happened anymore.
    Guy gets fired.
    Trolls get angrier start bombing chick's twitter.

So yeah...as it goes on the internet.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Yes to all this.

Journalist A: "Peter Molyneux is a deranged nutjob who should have had his developer rights taken away a decade ago."
    Editor: "Brillant, love it. Title will be Peter Monlynuts."
    Journalist B: "Felicia Day is a glorified booth babe."
    Editor: "I won't have that type of slander here! You're fired!"

Please tell me this happened so I can use it as an example.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Well...honestly I don't think it was a holy ground issue so much as, from what I've read:

Guy says something dumb.
    Internet shitstorm occurs to the point where it isn't about what originally happened anymore.
    Guy gets fired.

Now I am moved from a neutral stance on her to wondering if she has an ego problem. Again, celebrity on any level invites negative commentary, warranted or not. This wasn't the kind of negative commentary that needed a response from her, let alone her attention. It's a skill celebrities have to be able to ignore shit like this and I guess she chose not to. That's too bad for her.

• Options
    edited July 2012

Guy says something dumb.
    Guy gets fired.

So here is a hypothetical (not arguing with you as I think you have the right of it),

How would things have played it if he said the same thing, but about say Morgan Webb or Olivia Munn (not that I, personally, think they have done anything either). Or what if he just straight up insulted a well known game developer like Will Wright, Sid Meier, or Shigeru Miyamoto?

My thoughts are that nothing would have happened.

@Henroid

Sorry dude, I have no idea. But I'd be willing to bet money that someone at sometime over at Destructoid has probably said something on the same level as was said about Felicia Day only about someone else.

Axen on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Meh. Just like the guy at the end of the day has the right to take crap about her, she has the right to defend herself.

That being said...this is really getting off-topic...and isn't all that industry-related anyway so...I think i'll go do something else.
    How would things have played it if he said the same thing, but about say Morgan Webb or Olivia Munn (not that I, personally, think they have done anything either). Or what if he just straight up insulted a well known game developer like Will Wright, Sid Meier, or Shigeru Miyamoto?

Seeing as I'm not psychic I can't really answer that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    The way I see it, all your guys' posts are just a bunch of booth babes, not contributing to the thread.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Wait what are you saying Felicia Day isn't industry relevant?! Pistols at dawn!

... I'm only having fun, in case anyone thinks I meant that in any way. :P

Though I agree with the point that Destructoid wouldn't have fired anyone for slighting anyone else remotely related to video games. Again, Felicia Day is like some sort of person who is supposed to be immune from this shit based on what again? If anyone else gets that treatment, she can get it too. And she can learn to handle it the same way as them. Take it in stride. Because it didn't matter.

• Options
    Screw it, I've had relatively good luck getting responses from celebrities via Tweets. Let's see if she answers:
    @feliciaday Do you think Ryan Perez being fired was an appropriate / measured response to what he said of you?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I am desperately trying to think of something I could care less about. On like every aspect of the story.

Pity he got sacked over such a pointless event, but thems the breaks.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I've tweeted maybe 3 celebrities and never gotten a response, even with Michael Sheen who I talked to in person for a few minutes and got a picture with at Comic Con 2010. Though I did tell him I met Len Wiseman before seeing him and that was kind of awkward because it turned out that that was the guy who stole Kate Beckinsale from him...

Heisenberg on
  • Options
    Oh my god, I went to Gamasutra to find something to get the thread away from horrible shit, and instead game across this.
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173227/Opinion_Video_games_and_Male_Gaze__are_we_men_or_boys.php
    [Game Developer magazine EIC Brandon Sheffield makes the claim that the game industry at large still treats women primarily as a vehicle for the display of boobs and butts, not only in games, but within the culture at large, saying this is a natural extension of who we put in charge.]

I won't pretend to be above biology: I like boobs and butts as much as the next hot-blooded heterosexual male. They're just about the most aesthetically pleasing configurations of fat and muscle you can find on a person, and I am far from being immune to their charms. But women are a lot more than boobs and butts. That may seem obvious, but the game industry and its fans are demonstrating their ignorance of that fact time and time again.
    And it goes on from there. I'm glad he had the courage to admit to his enjoyment of seeing those things, because there's this fucking stigma where the moment you admit something like that you're somehow incapable of being above it when needed (which is more often than not). It's a false-thingermajig. But yeah, there is a gratuitous level of T&A for sure.

• Options
    Most gamers are still pretty stupid. That's why Team ICO games don't sell 1/5th of what Call of Duty does.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wait what are you saying Felicia Day isn't industry relevant?! Pistols at dawn!

... I'm only having fun, in case anyone thinks I meant that in any way. :P

Though I agree with the point that Destructoid wouldn't have fired anyone for slighting anyone else remotely related to video games. Again, Felicia Day is like some sort of person who is supposed to be immune from this shit based on what again? If anyone else gets that treatment, she can get it too. And she can learn to handle it the same way as them. Take it in stride. Because it didn't matter.

Maybe not someone generally shit upon like Cliffy B, but if he'd said the same thing to Miyamoto or Kojima, someone generally well liked? Then yeah, same thing would've happened, imo.

Felicia Day is FFVII in human form. If you like her, ya love her. If you don't, she's overrated.

Alternately, marmite.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    There is a significant difference in saying someone like Miyamoto or Kojima, who are game creators (and created tons of well known and popular characters and games) havent contributed anything to gaming culture, and an actress who did a VA role in a video game once hasn't contributed anything.

Guy says something dumb.
    Guy gets fired.

Now I am moved from a neutral stance on her to wondering if she has an ego problem. Again, celebrity on any level invites negative commentary, warranted or not. This wasn't the kind of negative commentary that needed a response from her, let alone her attention. It's a skill celebrities have to be able to ignore shit like this and I guess she chose not to. That's too bad for her.

She has not even commented on the twitter post at ALL. It went straight to the fans coming to her defense part.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    There is a significant difference in saying someone like Miyamoto or Kojima, who are game creators (and created tons of well known and popular characters and games) havent contributed anything to gaming culture, and an actress who did a VA role in a video game once hasn't contributed anything.

Guy says something dumb.
    Guy gets fired.

She has not even commented on the twitter post at ALL. It went straight to the fans coming to her defense part.

As much as I dislike hasty and casual accusations of white-knighting...

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The thing is "booth babe" is a loaded term with plenty of negative connotations.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'm curious, why does Felicia Day have to contribute to gamer culture? Why does anyone? Isn't just being a fan enough?

• Options
    Anyone else pumped for this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4LSUXYuMVM

Hope it's either free or super cheap for people who already own the base game on steam.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    That is really weird! It feels like it's too soon for a remake, too late for a GOTY enhancement.

Edit; woah, Doom 3 is 8 years old! :O

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Yep... time flies. Doom 4 announcement at QuakeCon this year supposedly.

Also, some pretty incredible official HL3 concept art: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.375965635802364.86003.274276235971305&type=1

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I am all over that, my PC was awful when the game came out and I could only get it to run at about 10fps so I never played it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The really sad thing about it is the writer in question apparently didn't understand how twitter worked. When he sent his "Could you be considered nothing more than a glorified booth babe? You don't seem to add anything to the medium" tweet, he had no idea that was public. He thought that insulting her privately would somehow be better than insulting her in public, which is only the case when you consider the reprocussions to him.

Also he has subsequently tweeted that he suggested to destructoid that they let him go, more for their sake than his and has acted apologetic. There is a definite understanding there that he has caused himself a considerable amount of shit by doing this.

Personally I think this incident by itself isn't a big deal, but in the greater context of the gaming industry it's just yet another indication of how sexism and misogyny are basically institutionalized. Combine it with the story from E3 where the journalist had her ability to play the game removed from the PR person, as the assumed she couldn't play video games (for obvious reasons). Or the recurring debates on the issue of booth babes. Or just the general lack of female characters in video games that aren't bimbos or barely dressed eye candy. Then there was the whole thing with that kickstarter and the feminist blogger (Anita Sarkeesian) making a video series on female characters in video games.

Honestly I doubt anything has changed except how public these incidents are and the amount of discussion the now generate, which seems to be much more than it was several years ago.

Also I cannot think of a bigger and dumber non-sequitur argument than whining that some male game designers, like Peter Molyneux have been insulted by journalists. For one thing, I wasn't aware that there was a major stigma against men in video games that generally prevents it from being a career worth pursuing. While this does not justify some of the comments people make about Peter by any stretch, he does have a habit of promising a lot more with his games than is often delivered. At the same time, I don't recall someone saying that Peter should be violently raped and assaulted, such as what happened to Anita or the female writer (Jennifer Hepler) from DA2 who dared to imply that you should be able to skip the combat portions of the game.

Frankly, using that argument just goes to show how utterly clueless you are.

Speaking of Jennifer and Destructoid, I am going to link this for irony purposes. Particularly the part where the author of that article notes that it is pure entitlement to expect you can say whatever you want on the Internet without retort. Indeed.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    @Aegeri: Where is the sexism? What has Felicia Day even contributed against the stereotype? That may even have been the journalists intention to call her out on that considering "Booth Babe" is a bad term cause of its context. (Not saying it is)

C2B on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Why would he suggest he be fired? That's just so weird. If that and the rest of his claims are true, then it just further shows how he doesn't understand how the internet works because that firing caused what would have been a minor shitstorm to turn into a shitferno. Now the next time Sterling (as evidenced by that linked article) performs in his capacity as a professional troll Destructoid will be bombarded with people calling for his ouster with this as evidence as why it should happen.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    C2B wrote: »
    @Aegeri: How has this anything to do with sexism and mysgonism.

Because it is yet another example of where a woman involved with gaming in some manner being belittled and insulted in general. You would think there are numerous examples already given in the thread (including in Henroids link earlier) to this effect. Bearing in mind that some of the people commenting afterwards have been far worse than the original journalist in question.

Also the journalists intention was to be insulting and demeaning, which was largely based on the fact he didn't know a thing about who she even was when he asked it at the time. Not even knowing basic facts and then insulting a woman who you know nothing about is indicative he is not trying to make any poignant comment: he was being a pure asshole and got caught out in public for it.
    Opty wrote: »
    Why would he suggest he be fired?

I have no real idea why or if that is the case, but Ryan did write on his twitter he suggested being released due to the whole shitstorm. Bear in mind some really well known people got involved in this like Will Wheaton (who did not hold back in his language either) so the blowback damage on Destructoid wasn't small by any means. Again, I recommend reading the link I gave in my previous post where it is pretty clear that you can say whatever you want, but this doesn't mean you are free of the consequences of what you say.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Not every instance of a woman being insulted is sexism, holy shit. Her career and her impact on a culture that may or may not exist were insulted.

• Options
    It is almost like I gave specific examples of what I was describing and what the actual problem was outside of this one incident. But do go on and pretend that was my argument henroid if that makes you feel better.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    it isn't sexist to call felicia day's contributions to "gaming culture", whatever the fuck that ephemeral concept is, into question

it is sexist to imply that she imply that she's a "glorified booth babe" and that she's built her entire career around being a girl

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »

Also the journalists intention was to be insulting and demeaning, which was largely based on the fact he didn't know a thing about who she even was when he asked it at the time. Not even knowing basic facts and then insulting a woman who you know nothing about is indicative he is not trying to make any poignant comment: he was being a pure asshole and got caught out in public for it.

And,

who is she? Also, again my other question. What has Felicia Day contributed against sexism? She's constantly in the "cute nerdy girl" roles and what she did at the VMA's for example is pretty much the opposite of empowering, instead pleasing male nerd dreams.

I mean, I don't really have anything against her, but considering her position she isn't exactly going against sexism or mysgonism. That's also why I don't think comparing her to Anita Sarkeesian is justified.

Edit: I'm not defending the guy. As I said he should have kept it to himself and it was rude. If he deserves firing is another matter but there should have been atleast some reprocussions.

C2B on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yep... time flies. Doom 4 announcement at QuakeCon this year supposedly.

Also, some pretty incredible official HL3 concept art: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.375965635802364.86003.274276235971305&type=1
    Not confirmed as official, and according to the guy who leaked it, it's was Half-Life 2: Episode 3 concept art, circa 2008.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It is almost like I gave specific examples of what I was describing and what the actual problem was outside of this one incident. But do go on and pretend that was my argument henroid if that makes you feel better.

Man, if you are referring to what I said I simply pulled a name out of thin air. Granted, he does bring ridicule on himself.

You could easily replace that name with Morgan Webb or Jade Raymond. Both people who have had pretty nasty things (even specifically sexist things) written about them with little to no consequence or huge backlash from fans as seen here.

Point being, gender was not a particular issue. His was just the first video game related "celebrity" (such as it is) name I could think of.

Axen on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    He got fired because he said that about a woman and with the current trend in gaming press over forced fake feminism he paid for it.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I hope Doom 3 has co-op. Had a lot of fun playing through about 2/3 of it on system link on the original Xbox. Of course, a lot of the story bits were stripped out, but it was still fun blasting through everything.

Also, wonder if these are NEW new levels, or if it's just the expansion pack rolled into the game.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Speaking of 'The Guild'

The fifth season was really over bearing. I can handle the references a little at a time, but when the whole season is just one big reference it became too much towards the end.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »
    He got fired because he said that about a woman and with the current trend in gaming press over forced fake feminism he paid for it.

If "forced fake feminism" = men telling other men, "Hey, let's stop being massive assholes to women and also call out some of the ridiculous objectification that happens in games," I'll take it. Accusing men in the industry (game journalists or developers) of "white knighting" or being "fake" when they speak up about gender issues is just the latest form of anti-female backlash. Sure, it sits oddly on a few guys like Sterling, but hey, maybe he's gotten a bit older and decided, "You know what, the misogyny in the gaming community really is bullshit." There are other male journalists like John Walker from Rock Paper Shotgun who have been in our camp for a long time, but idiots on the Internet still accuse him of just trying to be trendy when he talks about women's issues.

Although there are more of us now, women working in the industry are still vastly outnumbered, and why should it be our job to be the sole champions of women's issues? We're the targets of all the misogyny out there. We didn't create it, and I think it's awfully awesome of any guy who willingly steps up to take even a sliver of the bile directed at us by stepping forward and saying that x aspect of sexism in the industry/community is not ok.

The comment that former Destructoid guy made to Day is a prime example of what happens to any young, moderately attractive woman who is involved in gaming in any professional capacity. Her motives and abilities are constantly questioned. Day is well-known to have gotten involved in "gaming culture" thanks to a genuine affection for RPGs. Calling her a "glorified booth babe" is basically accusing her of having no actual interest in or ability at gaming and only being around to use her sexuality in order to make money. That's sexist and patently unfair, especially since every time I've seen Day make any reference to her looks it's in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

The same thing has happened to many women who are far more involved in the industry, like Jade Raymond. You know how much shit she got for being front-and-centre when promoting the first two Assassin's Creed games, which she produced? Never mind that she has a degree in computer science, a management position that she worked up to by creating and producing games at several companies, and that she was doing her job by going out and promoting her game. She was constantly accused of just being a pretty pawn that Ubisoft put out to draw in drooling gamers. Raymond is now producing Splinter Cell: Blacklist and (as far as I can tell) has been staying largely out of the public eye. If that's her choice, I don't blame her. If it's Ubisoft's choice, that's a pisser. Either way, it's a real shame that Raymond can't do the exact same things other game producers do every day without people saying shitty things about her because she's female.

If a few people need to be fired to get the message across that it's time to stop acting like troglodytes and reducing every woman involved in the game industry down to her looks/sexuality, well, that's what fucking needs to happen.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.