As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[VG Streams] YouTube Gaming now Live! Extra-Life in November!

12346»

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    It'll be interesting to see what comes of it

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Haven't updated this in awhile. Here's some new news from YouTube:
    YouTube is preparing to relaunch its livestreaming platform with a renewed focus on live gaming and esports specifically, according to sources within the streaming industry.

The Google-owned online video behemoth, which tried and failed to acquire streaming giant Twitch last year, has watched the growth of esports with great interest and is looking to acquire broadcast content and talent within the industry.

“Gaming and esports in particular are going to be a big driving force for the new-look YouTube Live," one source said. "There’ll be huge opportunities for established streamers and organizations soon and I would say that the record numbers of esports viewers are only going to grow when Google start promoting and partnering with these events.”

"Now with real-time content ID matching so your content can be muted or blocked on the fly!"

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm not going to tear it down just yet. I would really like a respectable alternative to Twitch considering the practical monopoly they have on the viewer base. If I'm restarting my channel with practically zero fan base, I'm not going to do it at Hitbox where the viewers are a fraction of Twitches. YouTube would actually be okay since its building on their already globally known and respected name. People go there daily as it is.

Though I am obviously afraid of the everlooming control from Google. They've already screwed up YouTube as it is with their new policies on let's plays and music. YouTube would really have to sell streamers to move.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I enjoy using Youtube and the Youtube player more than Twitch. The few Youtube streams I've seen have been pretty good quality, so I don't mind this.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to tear it down just yet. I would really like a respectable alternative to Twitch considering the practical monopoly they have on the viewer base. If I'm restarting my channel with practically zero fan base, I'm not going to do it at Hitbox where the viewers are a fraction of Twitches. YouTube would actually be okay since its building on their already globally known and respected name. People go there daily as it is.

Though I am obviously afraid of the everlooming control from Google. They've already screwed up YouTube as it is with their new policies on let's plays and music. YouTube would really have to sell streamers to move.

What scares me is the wording YouTube puts to perma ban you for a screw up. With in game music being copyrighted, and flagging my videos, it is scary to think a brand I'm trying to grow gets perma banned because I played a game that had licensed music on day one release and didn't know it.

I get not playing background music yourself, and can stand behind that. It's just the in game music that bugs me. I wish the laws would be changed to say streaming a video game, as long as it is in game music, is fair use.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Bored at work and figured I would necro-update this thread. I'm sure you guys have noticed but, YouTube Gaming now live!
    Google’s answer to the Amazon-owned live-streaming juggernaut Twitch is about to launch. YouTube Gaming, a new video game-focused vertical announced earlier this summer, is expected to launch sometime Wednesday, according to the BBC.

The new website and app will better organize the massive amount of gaming content that already resides on YouTube. More than 25,000 titles will have dedicated pages that gather the best live streams and videos related to each individual game in one place. The site will also have its own dedicated search results, making it easier to find gaming-related content.

The main attraction, though, is likely to be the livestreams, which YouTube says will be front and center in the new app. The Google-owned video site has been beefing up its livestreaming capabilities this year by boosting streams to 60 frames per second and enabling smoother fast-forwarding.
    - Time Article

It looks like it has it's pros and cons to Twitch, but the big hitter still seems to be the Content ID system notorious on YouTube for shutting down channels. Other than that, there's about 30 seconds delay which is on par, uses HTML5 for 60fps video, and a couple other note worthy things. In my opinion, more competition against Twitch can only be healthy for the hobby/industry.

Also, Extra-Life 2015 Game Day is scheduled for November 7th!
    Extra Life is a grassroots experience that mobilizes passionate gamers of all types to help Children's Miracle Network Hospitals treat sick and injured kids in their communities. Extra Lifers raise money year-round, culminating in a massive international day of play each fall and ultimately celebrating one grand total together. Extra Lifers typically participate from the comfort of their own home and have raised more than $14 million dollars since the program was founded by gamers in 2008. Join the movement at www.Extra-Life.org or connect with us on Twitter at @ExtraLife4Kids.

Extra-Life is something I've done for the past four years now, it's basically a 24 hour marathon of gaming where you ask people to pledge money for sick kids. I've always donated to CHOP via Children's Miracles Networks and this year will be no different. I would organize a PA group but I'm already committed to another group. We're planning ahead of schedule and we're probably going to do our marathons on October 24th for scheduling reasons. Feel free to ask any questions or coordinate with each other to make your own donation teams!

Other than that, I'll probably update the OP sometime this weekend to clean it up a bit when I find some time.