As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Survivor: [Phalla]ppines - Reserves welcome!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    ....you really need data for that?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    I do. :)

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    ....you really need data for that?

I guess you've just lost your touch. When was the last time you were evil? I mean, really evil?

I've just grown accustomed to the nicer, kinder, gooder Kime.

• Options
    TeucrianTeucrian Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not going to dig through a bunch of old mafia proboards from when I was last playing regularly some nine or so months ago to find one where someone says "Yeah voting for Kime is pretty safe on day one". If there has been a big movement against voting for Kime in the last 9 months then I'd love to hear about it, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Do you have stronger theories Figgy or is it just "throw up our hands and act like there's no possible way to figure anything out or work together" day?

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Teucrian wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not going to dig through a bunch of old mafia proboards from when I was last playing regularly some nine or so months ago to find one where someone says "Yeah voting for Kime is pretty safe on day one". If there has been a big movement against voting for Kime in the last 9 months then I'd love to hear about it, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Do you have stronger theories Figgy or is it just "throw up our hands and act like there's no possible way to figure anything out or work together" day?

There go them goal posts.

You said "start." A bandwagon.

Mafia don't generally start bandwagons. Let alone on Kime. On day 1.

Nowhere did I indicate I'm just throwing my hands up because it's day 1. My comment was specifically to you. Not that there's "no possible way to figure anything out." Your posts smell like misdirection. I disagree with almost everything you've said in this thread.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Wow, this is like Survivor!
    *grabs popcorn*

• Options
    The statements "voting for Kime" and "starting or perpetuating a bandwagon on Kime" mean the same thing. I don't see how I moved the goalposts there.

The notion that mafia don't start bandwagons on day one is ludicrous. Look back at the currently going phalla in D&D. Many of the very first people to vote in that phalla we now know were mafia.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The statements "voting for Kime" and "starting or perpetuating a bandwagon on Kime" mean the same thing. I don't see how I moved the goalposts there.

The notion that mafia don't start bandwagons on day one is ludicrous. Look back at the currently going phalla in D&D. Many of the very first people to vote in that phalla we now know were mafia.

3rd, 7th, 10th, and 12th (out of 65) for reference. I'm the host so I happened to have the spreadsheet open... on the island.

Whatever. Metagaming!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I would just like to say, I'm not mafia for a change.

It feels great, in case you're wondering.

I still don't agree with telling each other stats, even if I'm going along with it reluctantly. Too much info given to the mafia.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    So, silly idea: would it be helpful for us to distinguish ourselves by tribe somehow in the thread? Like Team Wilson posts a Team Wilson at the top of their post while Team THB posts a Team THB at the top of theirs. It'd help me keep where everyone is straight.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    So, what you're saying is faction game is faction-ey?

Who would have thunk it.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So, silly idea: would it be helpful for us to distinguish ourselves by tribe somehow in the thread? Like Team Wilson posts a Team Wilson at the top of their post while Team THB posts a Team THB at the top of theirs. It'd help me keep where everyone is straight.
    You could reference my spreadsheet. :rotate:

Basically, anyone voting kime is on Team Stinkbutt. Those voting Kilnaga are Classy Lads.

I could, but I'm lazy.

• Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    Nowhere did I indicate I'm just throwing my hands up because it's day 1. My comment was specifically to you. Not that there's "no possible way to figure anything out." Your posts smell like misdirection. I disagree with almost everything you've said in this thread.
    So you're continuing your strategy of being negative and providing nothing of value? OK.

Providing suggestions or stop whinging.

You're always so hostile to everyone. I really hope you're a nicer person in real life.

• Options
    Could we get the teams in the OP?

• Options
    So you're continuing your strategy of being negative and providing nothing of value? OK.

Providing suggestions or stop whinging.

You're always so hostile to everyone. I really hope you're a nicer person in real life.

What'd you expect from a Scion of Chaos?

• Options
    There's no actual segregation of population going on - unless MrT artificially arranged two mafia members on each team, any random elimination on either team is going have the same chance at hitting a bad guy.

And you want constructive analysis, so here you go:

It's far more likely that the mafia were evenly divided than it is they weren't.

In every phalla I've been in where there are separated teams/roles, mafia has been artificially assigned to be even across the board.

Take Obi's Star Wars Phalla, for example, mafia were spread across the Padawan, Sith, and Council evenly according to percentage. It makes perfect sense that half the mafia will be on one tribe and half on the other. In fact, if they weren't, the village would be at a pretty large disadvantage. Say 4 mafia end up on Wilsons, that's almost enough to control the private vote. Take out a couple non-mafia on that tribe and you might as well have a mafia-run tribe.

Further, it didn't even have to be an artificial mafia assignment. Roles were sent out in advance, before the tribes were created. That means, mafia was assigned at random, perfectly legitimately, and MrT then just put two on one tribe, two on the other, and RNGed the village into the tribes. Easy.

I'm not saying we should kill off one tribe to increase our chances of finding mafia, because it's going to be pretty damn hard to get 8/20 players to agree to become cannon fodder, but I think it's fairly safe to say we're looking at even mafia distribution. Mafia wouldn't want us to assume that, of course, because any info we gain is harmful to them. Right now, all the village has is numbers, and even that is tarnished by the tribal split.

No village specials. Let's keep that in mind.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    killnaga

• Options
    I don't want to assume the intentional 2/2 split because as you correctly point out that distribution would be a significant advantage for the village and our gracious host might have avoided it for balance purposes.

That being said, because it's possible he did arrange things this way we can use it to create leads down the road. For example, I think if we manage to kill two mafia members from one tribe we should focus on the other one, unless we've got a really good reason not to.

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Kilnaga

I'm almost certain that some of the people who were posting in the thread and didn't get directly involved in the discussion of public versus private action and immunity idols were mafia. Kilnaga fits that bill and has the vote lead despite a strange switch by Void Slayer to Kime.

To my memory in these games the mafia also starts or perpetuates day 1 kimewagons sometimes, on the theory that they basically go unnoticed.

There really wasn't much to discuss pre-tribe separation. I also didn't start a kime wagon. Kime had votes because no matter the game he is in he has the special power: vote magnet. Other people started the wagon on top of those votes and I'm swapping to the person with the next votes to me as a self-preservation measure.

Also, if we could be sure the mafia were spread evenly between the tribes I'd advocate voting out a person from the tribe who didn't lose the challenge so we can whittle down the tribes evenly (even though that vote would currently land on myself :/). However, since there is no way to be sure of the distribution of the mafia I'm not sure that is the route to take here.

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah Kilnaga, if anyone votes for you because they think your vote for me is suspicious, hey are being silly

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'll mention that Kilnaga started the proboard for Team Tom Hanks Beard. In itself it proves nothing, but typically mafia don't take that kind of initiative, and I'd argue it ought to be enough to spare him a day-1ing (considering there's nothing else to go on right now).

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    FYI, narrations will not have any game-vital information in them, so feel free to skip them if that's not your thing.

Does this mean that the narrations are pure fluff? For example, does this:

MrTLicious wrote: »
    During the ropes course, though, there were some that clearly fell behind. Langly and Fabulon Gayowski (Sir Fabulous) could not make their way across, hampering everyone behind them. Though there were stragglers on Tribe Tom Hanks’ Beard, they were fewer and less egregious. Tribe Wilson fell behind, losing their grasp on Immunity.

not indicate that Langly and Sir Fab were weak in the primary stat related to this challenge? Basically, did you just pick these two guys for funsies or can I analyze these narration bits?

No, you can analyze that.

It's just not... vital.

I probably shouldn't have made that statement, originally.

• Options
    Could we get the teams in the OP?

Yes.

• Options
    Aww, sweet.
    Now who's the brains of the outfit?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Based on how slowly jdarksun is conquering Scotland, I'm going to go with jdarkson. :P

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I'd have to disagree to some extent with silence benefits the mafia. It doesn't just benefit the mafia. As you stated the mafia are better served by sewing dissent. Everybody thinks "ohh hey, that guy isn't talking, he must be mafia." The mafia think this, and know everybody else does as well. It behooves them to involve themselves in the conversation to avoid that obvious association.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Smoove

• Options
    There's no actual segregation of population going on - unless MrT artificially arranged two mafia members on each team, any random elimination on either team is going have the same chance at hitting a bad guy.

And you want constructive analysis, so here you go:

It's far more likely that the mafia were evenly divided than it is they weren't.

In every phalla I've been in where there are separated teams/roles, mafia has been artificially assigned to be even across the board.

Take Obi's Star Wars Phalla, for example, mafia were spread across the Padawan, Sith, and Council evenly according to percentage. It makes perfect sense that half the mafia will be on one tribe and half on the other. In fact, if they weren't, the village would be at a pretty large disadvantage. Say 4 mafia end up on Wilsons, that's almost enough to control the private vote. Take out a couple non-mafia on that tribe and you might as well have a mafia-run tribe.

Further, it didn't even have to be an artificial mafia assignment. Roles were sent out in advance, before the tribes were created. That means, mafia was assigned at random, perfectly legitimately, and MrT then just put two on one tribe, two on the other, and RNGed the village into the tribes. Easy.

I'm not saying we should kill off one tribe to increase our chances of finding mafia, because it's going to be pretty damn hard to get 8/20 players to agree to become cannon fodder, but I think it's fairly safe to say we're looking at even mafia distribution. Mafia wouldn't want us to assume that, of course, because any info we gain is harmful to them. Right now, all the village has is numbers, and even that is tarnished by the tribal split.

No village specials. Let's keep that in mind.

The ther thing to consider is that this is not a pure faction game; at the very least, we know that the tribes will be merging at some point in the future. There may even be team switching like in the show, but that's speculation.

True.

But I still stand by my opinion that there is an equal number of mafia (probably 2) on each tribe. The fact that roles were sent out before the tribes were created means that this could have been achieved without gaming the RNG.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    About 1 hour to close. I think I'm still missing votes from @Sir Fabulous and "The Anonymous" (e: I'm a silly goose) (correct me if I'm wrong)

Lots of private orders missing... Remember that these count towards inactivus!

MrTLicious on
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Do we have a current votecount?

• Options
    @warban hey

• Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    Sup? @Langly

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    i did that and then you had just signed onto the board.

• Options
    What you talking about @Langly?

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    you hadn't signed on to the proboard yet!

but right after my post you did!

• Options
    Ah ok @Langly. I see.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    So, how are the private elimination votes going? We really should have had this be a bit more public, but I'll take what I can get now.

• Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    We've decided to vote out CapFalcon with our private vote.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    We've decided to vote out CapFalcon with our private vote.

Wait, wait. Let's not be hasty he-

waitasecond

• Options
    5 Minutes to Close