As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

King Story for Wii - new media

• Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So walking around town I noticed that, I think, my mountie was speaking to me. Walking over to him, I thought I heard him say "Ich habe es nicht gewusst" Which is pretty wow if you ask me.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What does wussen mean? I can't remember and can't be arsed to find out.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    What does wussen mean? I can't remember and can't be arsed to find out.

Well, when WW2 was over people in Germany were, obviously, often confronted with the crimes of Nazi Germany. Rumor has it that the common reply against this was "Ich habe es nicht gewusst" meaning, I didn't know of it. However, most people in Germany were aware of at least some of the crimes committed, and this line became a symbol for the population's denial of the crimes in WW2. Pretty serious stuff to have a character in a video game say so off-handedly.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    Pretty serious stuff to have a character in a video game say so off-handedly.
    Well, at least they're sort of admitting you're playing a genocidal king. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Woah. Wait a minute. King Story is out? How did I miss this? Why did I not see any reviews? Is it out in NA? How long have I been sleeping?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Woah. Wait a minute. King Story is out? How did I miss this? Why did I not see any reviews? Is it out in NA? How long have I been sleeping?

Not out in North America yet. Those dirty Brits got it first. I want this game so baaaaaaaad.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Not out in North America yet. Those dirty Brits got it first. I want this game so baaaaaaaad.
    Hey, it's not just the Brits. Pretty much the whole of Western Europe (and possibly Eastern) got this before you did. 8-)

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I heard that the website launched. http://www.littlekingsstory.com/

That is a horrible horrible trailer.

Food on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Food wrote: »

That trailer sold me on the game :|

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Quick question. I just unlocked the wealthy merchants and they apparently have the ability to spot treasure others miss.

I'm assuming this happens automatically, but do you get a message when they find something or does it show up later in the Spoils report when you return to your throne or what?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quick question. I just unlocked the wealthy merchants and they apparently have the ability to spot treasure others miss.

I'm assuming this happens automatically, but do you get a message when they find something or does it show up later in the Spoils report when you return to your throne or what?

Extra holes appear in the field for your farmers to dig if there's a merchant in your party.
    There's a little glowy light when they do it, but it's easy to miss.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, they look startled and run over and point to the ground, a crack will appear.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Food wrote: »

Oh god you're right. Couldn't they have used any other voice for that?

jothki on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I’m a couple of hours in and liking it so far. Someone in town hates me though, and I think it might be Verde. I have no idea how to fix that.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    oh wüssen! To know! Awesome. Further, I really like the website. Is it in the op yet?

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I finished Ferne's quest, that's actually a pretty cool reward. You get to put different coloured jewels on your staff, I'm now using the black one because it makes me look like an evil genocidal king :D

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AJR wrote: »
    I’m a couple of hours in and liking it so far. Someone in town hates me though, and I think it might be Verde. I have no idea how to fix that.

I think they all start at hate and it gets better through conversations and town upgrades. I wouldn't worry too much as everyone loves you for expanding the town. Plus I'm not really sure it has any effect anyway.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Finished the game last night. Nicely tough boss but annoying cutscene times on the retry with a new minion load-out. You would think the final boss would want as widely varied a retinue as possible but it's soldiers all the way.
    No doubting the end was indeed a tad abrupt but I'm not as annoyed with it as some. More than a tad harsh that you pick your favourite girl only to doom her to rat stomach death!

Only one treasure item missing for 100% complete but I was pretty sure my merchants weren't coughing up any more and didn't feel like scouring the world again just for that. Finished all the Princess quests before I took off which varied from fun to tedious.
    The A button mashing for the 20 kisses from the toy car princess was just plain obnoxious but all the others were fine, even if tunesmith hunting took quite a while.

All in all a bloody fantastic game that I hope receives the rave response it deserves when it reaches the rest of the forum over in America.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How long did it take you to complete it ? (If the game doesn't keep track, a rough estimate is fine)

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited June 2009
    43 and a half hours according to the save file :D

It's a huuuuugegame if you're going for full completion. And still pretty damn ginormous if you were being minimal over optional stuff.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Might have to pick it up soon, yet to finish the one or other game beforehand.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited June 2009
    el_vicio wrote: »
    How long did it take you to complete it ? (If the game doesn't keep track, a rough estimate is fine)

Took me 30 hours doing most things, getting all jobs, doing most princess quests.
    I believe a typical playthrough's a similar length.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How is this game selling? I ask because if it's not selling well I'll buy it sooner rather than later so I don't have to dick around with endless attempts to actually find a copy...

Like Electroplankton... :(

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am in canada and i want this game.

When can i have it?

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    cubelovercubelover Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Witchsight wrote: »
    I am in canada and i want this game.

When can i have it?

It looks like we have to wait until the end of July (ship date looks to be the 21st).

:x

cubelover on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The expanding media is a system pacifying and distracting consumers from the oppressive drudgery of their lives" - Digital Play
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is driving me crazy - I cannot beat the second or third king, they're bloody impossible! I would really appreciate some help here:
    First, that pinball boss, how do you destroy the rock that covers the fork? Gamefaqs says I need to get into this special mode where the screen goes dark and a strip of light appears in the middle, but I still can't order my man to go for the rock. What's wrong?

Then there is the drunken king - I understand that I shouldn't attack him with soldiers until all crates are destroyed, but he's still giving me headaches. My other men simply don't deal enough damage to the crates, so I'm wondering if there's a specific job class for that task? Maybe someone can share their strategy with which they beat the boss with me?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This game is driving me crazy - I cannot beat the second or third king, they're bloody impossible! I would really appreciate some help here:
    First, that pinball boss, how do you destroy the rock that covers the fork? Gamefaqs says I need to get into this special mode where the screen goes dark and a strip of light appears in the middle, but I still can't order my man to go for the rock. What's wrong?

Then there is the drunken king - I understand that I shouldn't attack him with soldiers until all crates are destroyed, but he's still giving me headaches. My other men simply don't deal enough damage to the crates, so I'm wondering if there's a specific job class for that task? Maybe someone can share their strategy with which they beat the boss with me?

For the drunk guy, just send in soldiers, they'll jump right up to him and will attack him, you don't even have to bother with the crates.

As for Mr. Pinball, I had a lot of trouble with him too. You want a team with you with a lot of health, and if you send your men into the field and make them bounce the king there, they sometimes won't take damage. As for destroying the rock, if you hit the Onii with the arrow twice (You hit him by shoving the King into him, sending men into the field is really handy here), then the screen will go dark. The aiming is hard, but if you stand properly into the middle, at the shiny lights going up, you will be able to send your men up to the rock. If you have lots of miners it goes a lot faster (though I don't think you get them until after beating the drunk guy). Then, after the rock is broken he has to drop below a certain weight, and then shooting him near the top will defeat him. Good luck! I thought it was the hardest boss from the game.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the drunk guy, just send in soldiers, they'll jump right up to him and will attack him, you don't even have to bother with the crates.

I did that on my first try, but then he's doing a spinning attack which causes my soldiers to drop on the floor and take heavy damage. But, other places suggested this too, so I'll give it a second go and see what comes out.
    Good luck! I thought it was the hardest boss from the game.

Thank god, it's so annoying to repeat this over and over, especially since you can't skip the cut scene that fires when he drops below the line, and you can't simply restart without dying first so to avoid the section before the boss fight.

And I've just managed to send some troops up to the rock, but that thing has an unholy amount of health. I already have miners with me, but I'm afraid I'll have to quit the fight first and come back with some more, otherwise I'll lose my sanity.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Unlocking Hardened Veterans by defeating Ogre Ergo will make one boss easier, and the other a joke.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We need a new thread for the U.S. release.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Am I the only one that doesn't really like this game..? It's far too fiddly and frustrating. I spend more time assembling a balanced cohort for expeditions than I actually do leading them. By the time I'm ready it's often nightime - which seems to come incredibly quickly and last for longer than the day. How do you read the clock in the top-left? I can't figure it out.

The camera is far too zoomed out to tell what's going on a lot of the time. I keep throwing the wrong dudes at enemies. Why does it let you zoom in when you're in your realm, but not in battle? My greatest obstacle, however, is ramps. You have to walk in a perfectly straight line - and maintain it for a little while after getting up the ramp - in order for your little men to make it with you. For a game that cribs so much from Pikmin (which isn't a bad thing), they really should have taken more notes on the control system. A cursor would be nice.

I just died for the first time and lost two 'days' work, too. I thought videogames were past that.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Wait, it is out in the US?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Am I the only one that doesn't really like this game..? It's far too fiddly and frustrating. I spend more time assembling a balanced cohort for expeditions than I actually do leading them. By the time I'm ready it's often nightime - which seems to come incredibly quickly and last for longer than the day. How do you read the clock in the top-left? I can't figure it out.

The camera is far too zoomed out to tell what's going on a lot of the time. I keep throwing the wrong dudes at enemies. Why does it let you zoom in when you're in your realm, but not in battle? My greatest obstacle, however, is ramps. You have to walk in a perfectly straight line - and maintain it for a little while after getting up the ramp - in order for your little men to make it with you. For a game that cribs so much from Pikmin (which isn't a bad thing), they really should have taken more notes on the control system. A cursor would be nice.

I just died for the first time and lost two 'days' work, too. I thought videogames were past that.

Yeah it's got quite a few aspects that were simply stupid and bad, just typical "videogame" problems (like the losing progress you mentioned), but for me, simply the amazing charm of this game made it okay for me.

I don't know if you've unlocked the formations yet? Going up ramps with the line formation always works, it's just a little bit of work. As for finding your men, when you progress you get upgrades that will make it much, much easier to select the men you want to use for the day (simply a list which you can sort, and then select your men). By going up on the platform in front of your castle you can summon your men you used the last time, so you can start with the template of the last day. As for the zooming, you can also see in the bottom left corner which men you will send out next, and by using the sort button you can keep switching them around until you have your soldiers out first (basically the only guys you'll need for fighting).

You are correct, the game has a lot of problems in the beginning, but as soon as you unlock all the good stuff, it gets so good.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The only problems I had with the game were the menus and the lack of pointer control.

With regards to the menus, I thought they could've been done better, especially squad selection. It was far to cumbersome to select who you wanted and to equip them with shit.

Still one of the best Wii games. They put loads of energy into this and it shows. I hope Rising Star don't end up bankrupt (they probably will).

Rotam on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I've been waiting to put a decent OP together but I thought it was still a week away or so.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was wondering... Does anyone find any similarities between this and Overlord? Because Overlord really grated on me after the first few hours.

And i am stealing my best friends Wii to play this. Relationships are on the line people!

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    LKS is pretty much GOTY, so no it's nothing like Overlord.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    LKS is pretty much GOTY, so no it's nothing like Overlord.

Thoroughly agree.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought there might be upgrades later on that made things a little easier. Very silly design to have to "earn" better control systems though, really. I don't have formations yet, so what I'm doing is throwing my dudes straight up ramps and picking them up on them other side. :P
    Ampix wrote:
    As for the zooming, you can also see in the bottom left corner which men you will send out next, and by using the sort button you can keep switching them around until you have your soldiers out first (basically the only guys you'll need for fighting).

Ta; I wasn't sure what those icons meant. I will perservere with the game, 'cause it is cute; I haven't even defeated the first enemy king yet and I'm on Day 19 already..

I accidentally converted five grunts into lumberjacks today. Oh the money!

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You'll be thankful for those lumberjacks come one boss fight later, but five is a little much for the rest of the game.

Xagarath on