As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic: The Gathering] Duels: Origins. A colon here, a colon there.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I need to pick up DLC on one of these titles. If you are beyond a beginner player the base sets they give you are kind of boring. I'm glad that the stuff coming up is going to be Ravnica related. I love mixing mana colors.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Favorite decks so far are the white Humans deck (forget the name, it's got that one card that lets you choose how your opponents block. Once I was fighting Arjani and brought him down from 60 life by making him suicide all his creatures into mine) and the Jace deck (Mill deck that is not only viable, but fucking scary? In my magic? It's more likely than you think). But I'm starting to like the goblin deck too.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    That white deck is awesome.

I was talking with my buddy on Steam while playing this game and I love how everybody has problems at different bosses. In the normal campaign my problem was with Liliana while my friend had lots of problems with Arjani who I steamrolled.

I got most jealous of the challenge deck that was rocking R/W ravnica stuff, especially lightning helix. Although my love of Ravnica probably comes from my playing magic competitively during that time.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Primordial Hydra encounter can suck it. Just sayin'.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I have avoided the encounters.

I wanna fight Bolas on revenge. I hope I don't have to change the difficulty to beat him.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Bullio wrote: »

I have beaten every encounter but this one. I can't figure it out. Also, as soon as they release that DLC, I will pay for it instantly.

Kolosus on
  • Options
    The second post of the thread is meant to contain the gamertags/ids of the players. Some of you have multiple ids on your signature so post here the one you play DotP if you want to add contacts and I'll update the list.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I'll update the list when I get the chance.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    Hmm I liked the previous games except for the bugginess. When I tried playing with my friend online, one or both of us would crash out of the game pretty frequently. I'm a bit skeptical about buying a new version when stuff like that was never fixed as far as I know in the previous ones.

Aaaand the demo crashes when I click "Start". Yeah.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Favorite decks so far are the white Humans deck (forget the name, it's got that one card that lets you choose how your opponents block. Once I was fighting Arjani and brought him down from 60 life by making him suicide all his creatures into mine) and the Jace deck (Mill deck that is not only viable, but fucking scary? In my magic? It's more likely than you think). But I'm starting to like the goblin deck too.

I once beat Arjani down from 99 life. It was on planechase and I got the plane that makes you discard tonnes of cards into the graveyard, followed by the plane which brings all your cards out of the graveyard and puts them into play. So many monsters, and a 53/53 chromothingy.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

I beat that one with a lucky draw using Odric's deck. I had a bunch of fiend hunters and the like and just exiled the hydra he put out each turn.

• Options
    VanhiteVanhite Registered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »

I have beaten every encounter but this one. I can't figure it out. Also, as soon as they release that DLC, I will pay for it instantly.

Beat it first try with Garruks deck, have the tracker make the 4/4 hydras fight your creatures every turn.

• Options
    Vanhite wrote: »

Beat it first try with Garruks deck, have the tracker make the 4/4 hydras fight your creatures every turn.

I have been trying to beat it with the Goblin deck, and I keep getting within 1 life of killing them off.

• Options
    Nefarox in the Revenge campaign is a butthole.

• Options
    edited June 2012

Karn in the previous one
    is a punk-ass bitch.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited June 2012

Karn in the previous one
    is punk-ass bitch.

I paid to unlock his deck first thing (Because I love W/B decks) and I can't seem to get him with it.

Kolosus on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    Steamrolled the Hydra deck with Jace's deck.

Milling + Phantasm being flying 5/5 + Mind Control + Bounce made it laughably easy.

That or Talrand's deck. Mana Leak + A bunch of flying tokens + Bounce (really bounce is the key) just destroyed that encounter.

• Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    I am however, VERY impressed with the challenges so far. They start immediately in on some interesting puzzles, with no early game gimmes.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    A few of the challenges are legit difficult, but several of them are fairly easy to figure out though so long as you're already familiar with the game's mechanics. My favorite is probably the one involving the Praetors for its multiple solution shenanigans.

But yeah, I've been playing this on PS3 some here and there. I'm not terribly impressed by the balance of the decks, though. Several match ups feel more rock-paper-scissors than anything else, and there's a couple of decks that are clearly above the rest in each format (1v1, 2HG, free for all, etc). Still a fun buy for the low cost, though.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i picked this up on ps3, if anyone wants to play some rounds. i havent played magic since like 1995, and even then i only ever played a little with my older brother (all the cards were his). so im what you might call totally inexperienced. if that sounds fun to you hit me up?

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    My dislike of the encounters is that you can have a strategy for it, but get a shit draw and that's that.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    Just beat Nicol Bolas on my first try with the Jace deck. It was fucking laughable.

I got 2 Jace's Phantasms in my opening hand, and got lucky with drawing mill cards. On turn 4 I swung in for 10 with both of them. Nicol's turn, he summons a 5 strength creature with haste and hits me for 5. Turn 5, I swing in for another 10 and win.

• Options
    Revenge?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Revenge?

Nah just normal mode.

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    i really like the not-garruk green deck. midrange-y green with a bunch of shenanigans involving bouncing and replaying your guys (often at flash speed!) plus some cool high end if i want to play it. similar feelings for the not-jace blue deck. clog up the ground until i can have fun with future sight/cast through time/dragon time/rite of replication.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i'm working my way through the planechase campaign

using only the milling deck

fuck you arjani you might have 250 health (plane conditions gave him the "when enchanted creature hits a player, double your life" card on turn 1) but you have 9 cards in your library

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I find that I keep switching around decks to try different things. So far Nefarox keeps kicking my butt though. Chandras deck is the one that I play the worst with I think. Also, I wish I could play MTGO from my iPad. :(

Kolosus on
  • Options
    Finally beat Revenge Nefarox with Talrands deck. Needed all the blocking I could get.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Vanhite wrote: »

I got him down to 2 life, but then he smashed me over the next two turns. Exponential growth in damage levels! You really need plenty of direct damage. A big swarm of 'tap to deal 1 damage' critters would be best.

Or some of the decks from earlier games. Elves would obliterate the encounter due to they ALSO having exponential creature growth. Vampires too. Or that crazy one which could sacrifice little creatures to put the Eldrazi things into play?

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I've been playing the bajesus out of this on steam. Really love Nefarox and the Ancient Wilds deck. One thing I like is that some decks are just straight up counters to others. In 2012 I could steamroll the whole game with just ancient depths (except 3xblue archenemy boss). This game I keep finding that to get through revenge I'm having to switch my decks. Nefarox is awesome but gets rocked by agressive weeny decks who just block away and then roll in on you. (Orec or Goblins). I also have found that this makes me play decks I normally wouldn't and finding how strong they are. Chandra's deck is just so good. Soooo many of the decks I had problems with counted on 2 toughness cards staying in the game. Nefarox? burn out all the exalteds, Orec? /burn, Talrand's annoying ass fog walls? /burn. I'm definitely gonna start unlocking a LOT more of Chandra.

But I'm still obsessed with the Ancient Wilds deck right now. Its so fun. But damn if you fight anyone with flying or don't get some good card draw early.. it is rough.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    In the previous one, Jace or Liliana are good vs 3x Jace in Arch Enemy.

Liliana's Specter and Underworld Dreams hurt them bad.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    I've only really got experience with Goblins in this game, but it does feel like whichever deck gets Pyroclasm has a pretty good leg up. Chandra? Is there even another red deck besides those two?

Oddly, I keep not posting ideas for other people in the thread because every problem I've hit I found Goblins to be the solution. Revenge Bolas with double Pyroclasm? Goblins. Exalted triggers? Goblins. My only multiplayer game so far against the mono-blue mill deck? He got Goblin Guide/Piledriver/Piledriver then quit with three land in play and Chieftain on the stack.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Huxley wrote: »
    I've only really got experience with Goblins in this game, but it does feel like whichever deck gets Pyroclasm has a pretty good leg up. Chandra? Is there even another red deck besides those two?

Oddly, I keep not posting ideas for other people in the thread because every problem I've hit I found Goblins to be the solution. Revenge Bolas with double Pyroclasm? Goblins. Exalted triggers? Goblins. My only multiplayer game so far against the mono-blue mill deck? He got Goblin Guide/Piledriver/Piledriver then quit with three land in play and Chieftain on the stack.

There is a Rakdos (BR) in the DLC on the way.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29195093/D13_Expansion_1_-_Rakdoss_Grinning_Malice_Decklist__Unlocks?pg=1

Looks really fun.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited June 2012
    It seems that the pending unlocks are tied to promo events.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List?pg=1

I hope it is just an early unlock. From the forums.
    The list of promotional unlock cards, some of which were seen in the dotp2013 previews.
    From the game, it seems that you get the unlock codes by attending certain magic events, which I seriously hope is not the case.

Events for promo code
    July 12-15, 2012 - Magic at San Diego Comic Con

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It seems that the pending unlocks are tied to promo events.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29193605/Promotional_Unlock_Cards_List?pg=1

I hope it is just an early unlock. From the forums.
    The list of promotional unlock cards, some of which were seen in the dotp2013 previews.
    From the game, it seems that you get the unlock codes by attending certain magic events, which I seriously hope is not the case.

Events for promo code
    July 12-15, 2012 - Magic at San Diego Comic Con

That's quite a load of crap. :(

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Can anyone tell me how to beat Odrec? He's an asshole.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Garruk seems to be the answer.

"Mine's bigger."

:)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Jesus christ, multiplayer is a buggy fucking mess. I've gone one game without the board glitching and becoming unresponsive. I'm glad the design sense of MTG:O has transferred over to the casual fan product.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Jesus christ, multiplayer is a buggy fucking mess. I've gone one game without the board glitching and becoming unresponsive. I'm glad the design sense of MTG:O has transferred over to the casual fan product.

That's too bad. It worked great for me on Xbox Live last year. Now I'm a PC player.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    On the PC does anyone ever have a problem joining a quick match? My client will just hang for a few seconds and then tell me I was unable to join a match. Its gives me a bit more detailed response but I'm at work right now. I can still do multi if I create a match. It just irks me that I can't use quick join.