As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[General Roleplaying Games] It is our Fate to Run the Shadows Bearing Torches

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I like the new thread name. Needs "against the Old Darkness" at the end, just so the WoD people don't feel left out.

• Options
    LeperLeper Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    bss wrote: »
    Leper wrote: »
    Wait. What? Where?
    If you were asking the scope of the book's release, the standard edition is out at retail on the 5th.

Ah. I missed the buy in on the super special edition stuffs, and hadn't heard anything about a commercial release. Last check on the website didn't show anything. :/

Now to just figure out how to get my hands on Legend.

Leper on
    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2013
    I like the new thread name. Needs "against the Old Darkness" at the end, just so the WoD people don't feel left out.

I tried to add, "In the 13th Age" to the front but I hit the character max

How far you get in BW?

Vanguard on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Seventh Sea should've been right up my alley, as should Deadlands, but I never played either. Part of the problem with continuing to game with guys you've known since grade school, I guess, though it's baffling that I'm the only one who thinks pirates are awesome.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Wait. What? Where?
    If you were asking the scope of the book's release, the standard edition is out at retail on the 5th.

Ah. I missed the buy in on the super special edition stuffs, and hadn't heard anything about a commercial release. Last check on the website didn't show anything. :/

The super special edition was only offered for the Escalation Edition preorders. They limited it to 100, 50 for the US and 50 for the rest of the world. They went in... two days, I think. According to that link they'll offer up the remaining 100 editions (to anyone, presumably) next year. It's a really nice book.
    Now to just figure out how to get my hands on Legend.

I'm kind of surprised they don't have some kind of print-on-demand thing, though I remember lurking in their IRC channel a while ago and they had some reason why not. Maybe go to a print shop and have them do a perfect binding, now that there's a 1.0?

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Seventh Sea should've been right up my alley, as should Deadlands, but I never played either. Part of the problem with continuing to game with guys you've known since grade school, I guess, though it's baffling that I'm the only one who thinks pirates are awesome.

It sounds like those guys have made poor life decisions

• Options
    My local shop has the print edition of Legend

The old black book

I don't know what's different about that but I can get it if you want it

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

It sounds like those guys have made poor life decisions

One did, the other's just a giant nerd who somehow escaped being raised with a hearty dose of Boomer nostalgia in his ambient environment and thinks boats are dumb. In fairness, he did try to get a Planescape game where we were Astral pirates going, which was by far the best campaign idea to have fallen by the wayside in my little corner of gamerland.

• Options

The old black book

This?

legendrbspec.jpg

Different folks, different Legend.

• Options
    Wait. What? Where?

The super special edition was only offered for the Escalation Edition preorders. They limited it to 100, 50 for the US and 50 for the rest of the world. They went in... two days, I think. According to that link they'll offer up the remaining 100 editions (to anyone, presumably) next year. It's a really nice book.
    Yeah. By the time I'd even heard 13th Age existed Escalation edition was long gone. :( That's what I get for burying my head in the sand.

The old black book

ORLY?

I may hafta take you up on that. I'll be in touch.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options

The old black book

This?

legendrbspec.jpg

Different folks, different Legend.

Yeah that one

Oh well

• Options
    Oh wait, what? I thought @Leper was talking about Rule of Cool's Legend. Black book is Mongoose's Legend.

• Options

How far you get in BW?

I'm in Character Burning, atm. It seems like its a mash-up of Cortex and Storyteller. Although I'm not sure how I feel about the Black, Gray, White shade thing for rolls but I guess I'll have to play it to give my final say. That said, I already like it more than 4e.

• Options
    edited July 2013

How far you get in BW?

I'm in Character Burning, atm. It seems like its a mash-up of Cortex and Storyteller. Although I'm not sure how I feel about the Black, Gray, White shade thing for rolls but I guess I'll have to play it to give my final say. That said, I already like it more than 4e.

Honestly, you'll never see those higher shades in play unless

1) You burn with them (there is a trait for 2 lifepath characters that gives it out for free, maybe Child Prodigy)
    2) You enter Aristesia (and this only lasts for one scene)
    3) You play a game that lasts years

If you GM, you probably will throw a few monsters with a single skill that is grey or white

Also, how can you not dig it? It's a reference to Gandalf that isn't lame!

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Legend is like, $1 for the PDF on DriveThru.

The supplements aren't so good. Mongoose has...hit and miss quality control.

• Options
    It was confusing at first, and I know my group(s) aren't full of bright people (I hate to talk bad about them but its true...) and if it confused me at first, its going to blow their minds. I didn't get it was a Gandalf reference but now that I think about the Forward, it makes sense.

• Options
    It was confusing at first, and I know my group(s) aren't full of bright people (I hate to talk bad about them but its true...) and if it confused me at first, its going to blow their minds. I didn't get it was a Gandalf reference but now that I think about the Forward, it makes sense.

Here it is:

Black = Success on 4+
    Grey = success on 3+
    White = success on 2+

Skills are the same Shade as the stat they are derived from. If multiple stats are used, take the lower shade.

That is it.

• Options
    I got it but it took reading further on for it to click. But seeing that it won't be something I'll deal with on a regular basics makes me wonder why bother in the first place.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I got it but it took reading further on for it to click. But seeing that it won't be something I'll deal with on a regular basics makes me wonder why bother in the first place.

BW is a game that really sings over the long term. It takes about 3-4 sessions to learn a new skill, or watch it jump from 3 -> 4. The problem is that skills higher than exponent five are incredibly hard to advance. But, Like deed points, shade shifts are a way to reward very long term play, where increases are hard to achieve. Basically, its a simple thing that makes advancement advancement horizontal and vertical.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Lucky for you Ubisoft is about to make your case for you. Bring it back up again after they've played some Black Flag.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    I'd actually really like to incorporate the 7th Sea d20 book into a Pathfinder game at the moment, but it'll be a while before I have the free time.

• Options
    I'd actually really like to incorporate the 7th Sea d20 book into a Pathfinder game at the moment, but it'll be a while before I have the free time.
    You could always back door them in to awkward innuendo like that oh god.

I mean I convinced a group that pirates were cool by letting them play sky pirates first and once they got over the idea that they didn't have an airship, they realized regular pirates get to fight sea monsters and stuff and were down for it.

• Options
    You'd think the Pirates of the Caribbean films would've helped matters, too, but those trended downward.

• Options
    You'd think the Pirates of the Caribbean films would've helped matters, too, but those trended downward.

Just get them sauced on rum, shoot a cannon, and hand out some parrots

They'll be sold

• Options

They'll be sold

The first time we got rum involved in gaming I nearly TPK'd them with a random encounter.

The second time our Warlock dozed off, then rose from the grave during an encounter with an Efreet to declare "I am a Warlock, you must obey me!" That was a good night. Thereafter I nearly TPK'd them and the Wishes were the only thing that let the game continue.

• Options
    13th age purchased.

No idea on when the dead tree version will arrive, but it will likely reach my home before I do. The PDF looks nice at a glance--I'll have to spend some more time tearing it apart.

Next goal: Legend. I don't know where the closest copy-shop is to here, but I'm guessing somewhere around San Antonio, which is a three hour drive. I suppose I could always hit the local walmart craft section and try out hand binding. :P

• Options

They'll be sold
    You can throw hookahs in and go Sinbad.

• Options
    Make them Sand Pirates and do Arabian Nights like game.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    @Grunt's Ghosts -

My abortive attempt at running a Burning Wheel game really underlined the need for everyone to get beliefs right. They're a bit tricky before you get a feel for it. I wish I'd got my group to run through the introductory scenario "The Sword" before we tried to burn up our own characters and run a game.

Beliefs are the core of the game.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Anyone picked up Hillfolk yet?

• Options
    So I downloaded the 13th Age organized play adventure, and kind of want to run it, but damn it I don't trust my ability to update a PbP here daily.

• Options
    So I downloaded the 13th Age organized play adventure, and kind of want to run it, but damn it I don't trust my ability to update a PbP here daily.
    As long as I get to play, I think I could forgive you for the occasional missed day. ;)

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I can't buy the 13th Age PDF yet, right? It's just a bonus for people who've pre-ordered the book?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    I don't update my game everyday. Then again neither does my players so its ok.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I can't buy the 13th Age PDF yet, right? It's just a bonus for people who've pre-ordered the book?
    I got mine from purchasing the book through their website.

Although it only advertises as "PDF INLCUDED!" it contained links to:
    * full PDF, new character sheet and cover
    * Monk playtest
    * Bestiary playtest PDF
    * Escalation edition PDF (not even sure what this is, haven't looked. Previous draft?)

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

* Monk playtest
    * Bestiary playtest PDF
    * Escalation edition PDF (not even sure what this is, haven't looked. Previous draft?)

But I have to buy the book, right? Because I am all-digital nowadays. I would love the book, but gotta stay disciplined otherwise my house will overflow. (It is a small Japanese house, see).

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    kaorti wrote: »
    @Grunt's Ghosts

My abortive attempt at running a Burning Wheel game really underlined the need for everyone to get beliefs right. They're a bit tricky before you get a feel for it. I wish I'd got my group to run through the introductory scenario "The Sword" before we tried to burn up our own characters and run a game.

Beliefs are the core of the game.

Burning Wheel is an incredibly challenging game to run if you're just going into it with no experience. Just as writing strong, actionable beliefs is key, so is challenging them.

The real trick, in my opinion (and I didn't know this until playing with Luke's friend's), is mastery of the intent and task system. The first step is knowing when to roll dice. If there is no interesting consequence of failure, do not roll the dice. Say yes and keep moving until a situation arises where there is interesting consequence of failure. Once you're in that situation, it is your job, as a player, to communicate exactly what you wish to accomplish (intent) and what action (task) you are taking to get shit done.

The GM then needs to communicate the consequence of failure back to the player (or, if it's a surprise, keep a secret). Example:

Belief:

The library previously housed the activity of a group of Blood Mages. I will break in after hours to investigate without alerting the guards of my presence.

Your intent in this situation is get inside the library without notice. This is obviously going to be a Stealthy test, but, depending on exactly which tasks you choose it may be a more complicated test. You tell the GM you want to try your odds picking the locks on the front door.

They inform you that doing so is going to be a tough to do without notice. It's going to be a linked test, Stealthy and the Lockpick. If you fail, you are noticed by the guards, and the GM lets you know.

OR

Deciding that the odds of going in the front door are too tough, you decide to Stealthy into the alleyway and Climb onto the roof where you can then get onto the 2nd floor terrace and enter through those doors.

The GM sets the Ob and you make your rolls. You successfully sneak, and climb, but when it comes time to pick the lock, you make too much noise. As you enter this room, an otherworldly voice whispers in tongues. You draw a lantern and discover that, though you have eluded the guards, you are standing face to face with the ghostly visage of some poor soul whose passage to the afterlife was interrupted by the activity of the Blood Mages.

The GM calls for a Steel test. You fail, and decide to run screaming.

. . .

In either scenario, if you did not alert the guards, you would earn a Persona point for accomplishing your goal. If you we're unsuccessful, you would get a Fate point for working toward it.

Next session you would rewrite your beliefs and repeat the process.

• Options
    As long as I get to play, I think I could forgive you for the occasional missed day. ;)

I will mull over doing it and let you guys know. Is there a procedure to getting started or do I just fire up the thread(s)? I need a Babby's First PbP guide.

* Monk playtest
    * Bestiary playtest PDF

But I have to buy the book, right? Because I am all-digital nowadays. I would love the book, but gotta stay disciplined otherwise my house will overflow. (It is a small Japanese house, see).

Yeah, right now you have to order a physical book to get the PDFs. They do it so as to not immediately sale-block B&M retail, which I can respect the decision of, but it does indeed sting for everyone else. I think PDF-only orders open up in a month.

The EE is indeed the last edition from before the laid out PDF. It's mostly unnecessary to new orders (the EEs were how we got updates), it's nominally handy as a text-only copy but there are a couple miscellaneous changes not reflected in that PDF (only big one that I recall is that EEv6 still has different background points per class, rather than 8 across the board).

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    @bss @poshniallo @Leper if any of you guys will be at PAX Prime you might catch me DMing 13th Age at their setup in Open Gaming. I'll be there all 4 days! Would like to meet other people playing and enjoying the game!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I am full of fire re: BW

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.