Options

[Gravity Falls] Summer is over.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    just finished watching weirdmageddon 1,2, and 3.

oof, what a roller coaster. I'm sad the show is over, but it was a great thing.
    I mean, just imagine what the kids of today are seeing, and what they will come up with when they are the animators. It goes without saying that the cartoons of today are leagues ahead of what came before, they're leaping further than anything before them.

I'll part with this...

If Samurai Jack and the Powerpuff Girls are able to come back after many years,
    and The Last Avatar are able to get second shows, and additional seasons after the fact,
    I think... I think down the line, we'll return to Gravity Falls.

Summer may be over now, but there's always next year.

spoilers for conjecture
    The only thing that hit me hard was Stan's sacrifice. Losing your mind and memories through amnesia or alzheimer's or whatever, is like one of my biggest fears.

I was thinking that Blendin would pop in with another Time Wish. The perfect thing to help Stan get his memory back, but being able to remember some things with the scrapbook I can get behind.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    That one bit with Stan.
    Standing there alone, as the room burns down around him. He just picks up a photo of the kids and smiles.

"heh, guess I was good for somethin' after all."

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Looking back over the whole arc, one thing I think is still a teeny loose end
    We never saw Blendin Blandin really do anything after he ran from Bill in ep.2, and we never found out how Bill possessed him in the first place. Presumably it had something to do with Gideon making a deal with Bill, which we also never found out about - maybe there'll be a deleted scenes special or something to address this? I think it'd be neat if Gideon and Blandin are related, and Gideon somehow gave Bill access to his entire future bloodline or something.

Also, a few of the hidden messages in the show sort've imply possible future events, like Bill shouting out about returning when he was dissolving, and his petrified body being hinted as a 'buried treasure' in one of the codes. I imagine that's mainly for the fanbase though, to ponder over indefinitely. Such a good shooo~w...
    I honestly believe the 'lost secrets' are actual replicas of the journals that are hidden beneath the statue.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    That one bit with Stan.
    Standing there alone, as the room burns down around him. He just picks up a photo of the kids and smiles.

"heh, guess I was good for somethin' after all."

It's how I plan to go out

You know with some changes

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Looking back over the whole arc, one thing I think is still a teeny loose end
    We never saw Blendin Blandin really do anything after he ran from Bill in ep.2, and we never found out how Bill possessed him in the first place. Presumably it had something to do with Gideon making a deal with Bill, which we also never found out about - maybe there'll be a deleted scenes special or something to address this? I think it'd be neat if Gideon and Blandin are related, and Gideon somehow gave Bill access to his entire future bloodline or something.

Also, a few of the hidden messages in the show sort've imply possible future events, like Bill shouting out about returning when he was dissolving, and his petrified body being hinted as a 'buried treasure' in one of the codes. I imagine that's mainly for the fanbase though, to ponder over indefinitely. Such a good shooo~w...
    I honestly believe the 'lost secrets' are actual replicas of the journals that are hidden beneath the statue.

Oh man, I would love to have copies of those.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I would buy any books they ever choose to release about the mythology of Gravity Falls.

Hell, just release the journals in their entirety

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'd be fine if it comes back eventually, but if it doesn't, it ended on a great enough note that it's a satisfying conclusion to the story. Not a lot of animated shows even get that.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That was a really really great ending. I can only think of two hairs I could split, but really, who cares.

Gravity Falls is the best two seasons of cartoons I've ever had the pleasure to watch.

• Options
    Whelp just saw this
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1484746694/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1455755338&sr=8-1&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=gravity+falls+journal

I thought it was coming with the finale. Guess not

Theres also a new journal by Dipper and Mabel.

• Options
    I generally prefer to leave a show be when it hits a peak like that.

I'm really happy letting it end right there, about as perfect an ending as we're ever gonna get with that show.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Whelp just saw this
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1484746694/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1455755338&sr=8-1&pi=CB192198896_AA75_QL70&keywords=gravity+falls+journal

I thought it was coming with the finale. Guess not

Theres also a new journal by Dipper and Mabel.

Bought. Bought harder than maybe anything I've ever bought.

Though after this vid I'm tempted to try making my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQWFeWl2r2c

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Great ending to a great show!

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will be a potential new series or sequel or movie at some point?
    They did set up Bill's return, after all, and they never really explained what was going on with the Time Baby or aliens.

Also, I thought it was kind of a cop out that Mabel just gets to keep the pig, especially since Alex mentioned that specifically at some point in the past. But then I realized, Dipper probably kept his Size-Changing Flashlight. Solves the pig problem real quick.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    If nothing else happens I'm happy with the way this ended.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    so.... when's the next episode?

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    so.... when's the next episode?

When Alex Hirsch decides to go back to Disney I suspect.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    We probably won't get another tv series but he definitely left it open to the possibility of a tv movie.

• Options
    Bit at the end with Stan and Ford
    The squid that attacks them has one eye and a sort've pointy triangle head.

Coincidence?

Yes.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    We probably won't get another tv series but he definitely left it open to the possibility of a tv movie.

Gravity Falls: Hot Coals Walk With Me

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    There's a pretty cool interview with Alex Hirsch over on the AV Club

avclub.com/article/see-you-next-summer-alex-hirsch-says-goodbye-gravi-232432
    Gravity Falls is a very hard show to produce. I was not permitted for the longest time to let the world know that it was only going to be only two seasons. Season one was such a difficult thing. I’d never made a television show before, and just the type of show this is—the amount of callbacks and continuity, the level of artistry, the complicatedness of it—was very taxing. And in the middle of season one—I remember I was on my fourth all-nighter in a row—I promised myself, “This is it. You’re not making another season. You’re done.” Because I was wiped out.
    Even though I ended on a cliffhanger, even though my original intent had been to make more seasons. I came very close to not making another season. People think, “Oh, Alex, was it a choice between three seasons and ten seasons?” And it was briefly a choice of no more seasons. Honestly, it was the response from the fans—people loved it so much—so I said, “Shoot, I think I need to finish what I started here.”
    So when I finished the last script of the season the feeling, to me was, I get to sleep now for the first time in four years. That trumps most feelings of wistfulness and nostlagia. Now that the show is finished and it’s gotten such a great response, my main feeling is I feel happy. I feel proud that so many people liked what we did, and I’m also amazed that I survived the thing. [Laughs.]
    But there is one part that always gets to me still: When Grunkle Stan says goodbye to Dipper and Mabel. I am Grunkle Stan: I am the voice of Grunkle Stan; my profession, much like Stan’s, is to be this carnival barker delighting and confusing kids and taking them for a strange ride. So when Grunkle Stan says goodbye to Dipper and Mabel, that’s me saying goodbye to Dipper and Mabel—saying goodbye to working with Jason Ritter and Kristen Schaal, saying goodbye to working with my crew, and saying goodbye to an amazing experience. I do get a little misty when I watch that scene even after seeing it 100 times because as hard as the show was, I genuinely love the team I got to work with.
    If I had a longer [episode running] length, I would’ve taken a bit more time with that transition of him getting his memory back. The important thing to me was to reach that ending at the bus stop where all the characters are there with each other. That to me is more important than being shocking for the sake of being shocking.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    dam

damn dusty room

• Options
    edited February 2016
    That ending really was great

But you know what part really made me happier than anything else? Like, really really?
    When everyone is gathered up in the Mystery Shack Robot.

The kids, Stan, Soos and Wendy and all their friends.

Even goofy one-shots like the gnomes and the Manotaurs. So many faces we've gotten to know are all gathered up in one place.

And when the bad guys start rushing in on them, the fight starts.

And the theme song turns on.

It made me so happy I almost cried happy tears, you guys.

Goatmon on

• Options
    I keep seeing top ten unsolved mysteries on youtube figured I'd make my own list . Only really have 5 though
    1. Whats the deal with Gideon's Mom?
    2.Why is Stan so adept in the mind space? Even in Dreamscapers his dream self is able to actively help Dipper and even with his entire self burning he trapped Bill.
    3. Where did Quentin Trembly go?
    4. Are Ford and Stan going to awaken Time baby?
    5. Who is the guy that gave Blubs and Durland their orders regarding Trembly?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just finished it.

It's really over now.

• Options
    There's a pretty cool interview with Alex Hirsch over on the AV Club

avclub.com/article/see-you-next-summer-alex-hirsch-says-goodbye-gravi-232432
    Gravity Falls is a very hard show to produce. I was not permitted for the longest time to let the world know that it was only going to be only two seasons. Season one was such a difficult thing. I’d never made a television show before, and just the type of show this is—the amount of callbacks and continuity, the level of artistry, the complicatedness of it—was very taxing. And in the middle of season one—I remember I was on my fourth all-nighter in a row—I promised myself, “This is it. You’re not making another season. You’re done.” Because I was wiped out.
    Even though I ended on a cliffhanger, even though my original intent had been to make more seasons. I came very close to not making another season. People think, “Oh, Alex, was it a choice between three seasons and ten seasons?” And it was briefly a choice of no more seasons. Honestly, it was the response from the fans—people loved it so much—so I said, “Shoot, I think I need to finish what I started here.”
    So when I finished the last script of the season the feeling, to me was, I get to sleep now for the first time in four years. That trumps most feelings of wistfulness and nostlagia. Now that the show is finished and it’s gotten such a great response, my main feeling is I feel happy. I feel proud that so many people liked what we did, and I’m also amazed that I survived the thing. [Laughs.]
    But there is one part that always gets to me still: When Grunkle Stan says goodbye to Dipper and Mabel. I am Grunkle Stan: I am the voice of Grunkle Stan; my profession, much like Stan’s, is to be this carnival barker delighting and confusing kids and taking them for a strange ride. So when Grunkle Stan says goodbye to Dipper and Mabel, that’s me saying goodbye to Dipper and Mabel—saying goodbye to working with Jason Ritter and Kristen Schaal, saying goodbye to working with my crew, and saying goodbye to an amazing experience. I do get a little misty when I watch that scene even after seeing it 100 times because as hard as the show was, I genuinely love the team I got to work with.
    If I had a longer [episode running] length, I would’ve taken a bit more time with that transition of him getting his memory back. The important thing to me was to reach that ending at the bus stop where all the characters are there with each other. That to me is more important than being shocking for the sake of being shocking.

I really like that it was the response from all the fans who fell in love with the show that convinced him to keep going.

• Options
    __gf___tell_about_your_summer_by_mistrel_fox-d9rk6ie.png

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    This was going to happen sooner or later.

May as take the initiative.

(Finale spoilers!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqpLrZsfyw&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I keep seeing top ten unsolved mysteries on youtube figured I'd make my own list . Only really have 5 though
    2.Why is Stan so adept in the mind space? Even in Dreamscapers his dream self is able to actively help Dipper and even with his entire self burning he trapped Bill.

Stan and Bill are both at their core conmen

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »

Stan and Bill are both at their core conmen

They are eeriely similar. Both present as a one eyed guide with a hat and cane are somehow able to get people to trust them even if they know its a scam. I wonder how much of that is intentional to throw people off

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    it's the advantage of being 'simple'. one goal, one track, nothing cluttering the mind up with doubts or concerns. stan is in total control.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Really dug the finale kinda wish
    That when Mabel and Dipper ran off confident that they could beat Bill that they could have almost beat him. We spent three episodes watching them fight and never got a moment where they show how truly dangerous they are together. Obviously they couldn't beat him but going toe to toe would have been cool.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That when Mabel and ran off confident that they could beat Bill that they could have almost beat him. We spent three episodes watching them fight and never got a moment where they show how truly dangerous they are together. Obviously they couldn't beat him but going toe to toe would have been cool.
    This is something of a bugbear of mine since a whole episode was dedicated to how important Mabel was to defeating Bill, but ultimately both twins weren't directly related to his defeat. I'd have to rewatch it, but maybe it was Mabel who came up with the Mystery Mech idea.

I feel like Dipper increasingly overshadowed Mabel in importance until they kinda ran out of time to fix it. Shit, even part of Weirdmageddon focused on her was mainly about Dipper. It's not terrible, but as the series went on it became less "Mystery Twins" but rather "Dipper and his sidekick Mabel"

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of the finale was
    How the main character and each of the major secondary characters were part of a mcguffin to destroy Bill and it just never happened. That was pretty great

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    That when Mabel and ran off confident that they could beat Bill that they could have almost beat him. We spent three episodes watching them fight and never got a moment where they show how truly dangerous they are together. Obviously they couldn't beat him but going toe to toe would have been cool.
    This is something of a bugbear of mine since a whole episode was dedicated to how important Mabel was to defeating Bill, but ultimately both twins weren't directly related to his defeat. I'd have to rewatch it, but maybe it was Mabel who came up with the Mystery Mech idea.

I feel like Dipper increasingly overshadowed Mabel in importance until they kinda ran out of time to fix it. Shit, even part of Weirdmageddon focused on her was mainly about Dipper. It's not terrible, but as the series went on it became less "Mystery Twins" but rather "Dipper and his sidekick Mabel"

Well,
    Mabel and Dipper spray-painting and distracting Bill was all that gave the old fart group time to pull the switch.

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I see it as Mabel and Dipper being crucial in a less direct, more, like, thematic sort of way? It's seeing them work together and make up after that fight that lets Stan and Ford finally pull their heads from their respective asses. Because Gravity Falls is all about family. And I think if it was absolutely anyone else at risk Stan wouldn't have pulled it off. Like, the final sequence in that burning room, with the run down shack and lone photograph, shows the exact number of people on the planet that Stan gives a shit about, and the only people he'd destroy himself for.
    Also Mabel helped with the kickass robot.

Also I found this eerily clairvoyant fanart:
    deal_with_a_trickster_by_markmak-d99alzd.png
    It's from September.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Welp, watched the finale an hour or so ago.

This isn't the end is it? Also, sure got dusty in here around the last 10-15 minutes of that last episode.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Bumping this thread because of the massive scavenger hunt currently going on to find the Bill Cipher statue seen in the credits of the last episode.

Clues have been found as far afield as Russia and Japan. Jason Ritter (Dipper's VA) just jumped into the action to Periscope himself tracking down a clue in Los Angeles.

This is probably being done to promote the upcoming release of the Journal 3 book but it's still been a lot of fun to watch.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Right now there's someone streaming his search in a park, I don't know if they're seeking one more clue ie the statue itself or what.

• Options
    im betting money the statue is at the oregon vortex house of mystery

a4irovn5uqjp.png