As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Affordable Care Cat upheld

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    yo jasc if you're ever done with being a shitty troll let me know

till then i dunno keep doin that thing but i'm done reading your posts and gettin riled up about it

there's enough actual shitlords to be pissed at without having some goose doin a shitty troll

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    also male and female are not nouns can we stop using them as such

can you try and not sperg the fuck out an also try and be correct when you say things please?

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    btw male and female are totally nouns

It's just that using them that way makes your asperger's pretty obvious

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    End wrote: »

you and what dictionary

name me literally any time you would actually refer to a thing as a female and not a female *insert thing here*

alright then

probably never

but getting prickly when someone does is a dumb thing to do

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    golden+girls+blog.JPG

holy shit

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »
    GoldenGirls.jpg

it still baffles me that this show got pitched and on the air when it did

a show about senior citizens and they're all women

it's like tv forgot it was tv for a split second
    don't forget sanford and sons!

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Wait?

Who are these people? Is this a thing?

I know the "booth babes" (hurf durf) probably get that shit but I doubt your random female on the con floor gets harrassed.

a) female isn't a noun, it's an adjective

and the bar is set

you are the absolute fucking worst you know that right

a 3 year old desperately blowing at a dandelion and getting his spittle all over it

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    also

pretty sure zay is the worst

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Wait?

I know the "booth babes" (hurf durf) probably get that shit but I doubt your random female on the con floor gets harrassed.

a) female isn't a noun, it's an adjective

and the bar is set

you are the absolute fucking worst you know that right

a 3 year old desperately blowing at a dandelion and getting his spittle all over it

kids are adorable

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    where did golden girls come into play here?

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    As a 3 year old

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

can you try and not sperg the fuck out an also try and be correct when you say things please?

pipthefair you are like some beautiful paladin dog

a paladog
    KhqKp.jpg

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    it's hot to be a girl in gaming right now. and not hot in the sexy way, the bad way

I can't even imagine

you're referring to 'hot' in a 'i can parlay my gender into a career as a blogger as I complain about how I am treated by strangers at conventions' sense, yes?
    Wait?

WELL

that DEPENDS

if you believe being addressed by a male at a convention as if he assumes you don't know how to play Quake is harassment, then E3 is basically a huge rape orgy

g1Kzz.jpg

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Don’t you remember that one episode where Joe Isuzu was all condescending towards Estelle Getty because he thought she was a terrible Quake player?

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    BeaRemembered.flv.jpg

• Options
    i wish betty white was my grandma

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

Don’t you remember that one episode where Joe Isuzu was all condescending towards Estelle Getty because he thought she was a terrible Quake player?

I thought it was about Wolf ET

bitch did not know the radio room from the command bunker

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I had forgotten the person bitching about the cost of the ACA was also the same person that got $250 a month from his trust fund

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Hissy fit hissy fit

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    buttlord is adorable and predictable, and that is what I love most about him
    Y tu tambien 8->

• Options
    im pretty on the fence about the whole 'be nice' thing because half the time ive tried to point out something more controversial than 'slavery is bad! dont beat women' i just got flooded with stupid, thoughtless bullshit until i started yelling at everybody

but on the other end it gets kind of extreme over nothing and then youre watching two white teens screaming at eachother over shit neither of them actually understands

There really isn't an obligation to be nice in conversations. There's definitely a weird inconsistency in the often verbalized expectation that people advocating for social issues need to maintain a civil tone as a matter of being even-handed, as though the person tossing off slurs is being fully civil in their expressions.

It's absolutely okay to get frustrated with a discussion and walk away, or to even express frustration. This also shouldn't be seen as behavior that discredits a position or argument. It's a wholly human response to difficult interaction. Disagreeing with the position and disagreeing with the mode of conversation should be separate issues.

However, I think the folks that advocate for insulting and shaming those that they consider incorrect are generally not being productive in that effort. I think that sort of behavior tends to reinforce problematic binaries in the discourse. I don't think aggrieved parties necessarily have a greater onus for being socially productive than the afflicting parties, but I also think it's a mistake to think of certain behaviors as a shortcut to an outcome.

I'd argue that ideally the most productive mode of discussion in the long term is for folks to attempt to educate each other 'til about the limit of their patience and then allow for someone else to contribute. The exceptions I make for aggressive response would be in the immediate prevention of substantial harm, but I recognize that's a massive ideological gray area. Maybe that gray area is where most of these disputes come from, but I kind of doubt it.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    There are various rules for how men should dress according to the time of day. Many of them are simply carry-overs from English conventions on proper evening dress, but I think a few also have their own merits.

For example, a white shirt works better at night because white frames the face better under artificial lighting. Likewise, smooth calf, particularly in black, can look considerably more stunning than a matte suede. Calf will gleam from the reflecting streetlights, whereas suede will look rather unremarkable when there’s not enough light to show off its nap. This is why I think every man should have a pair of black calf shoes, even if he doesn’t go to many formal functions.

I also don’t think certain lighter-colored garments should ever be worn at night, but this is a rather fuzzy area. If you have the occasion, a classic white or cream dinner jacket will obviously look quite fantastic, as can a cream linen or solid tan wool suit on a casual summer’s evening. However, I think the acceptability starts to weaken once you get into those brighter garments that principally express the cheerfulness of daytime - for example, loud chinos or light-colored shoes. Those are best worn when it’s sunny out, in my opinion.

So, when I can, I try to get dressed according to the time of day that I’m going out. If it’s in the morning or afternoon, I may wear a blue shirt, mid-toned jacket, and brown suede shoes. If I’m wearing a tie, it might also be of a brighter color, but doesn’t have to be. If it’s at night, I’ll wear a white shirt, darker jacket, and black calf shoes. The tie will likewise be dark. In this way, I think I better reflect the time of the day’s mood and work well with my environment. After all, the expressions of these two kinds of ensembles are as different as night and day.

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    There are various rules for how men should dress according to the time of day. Many of them are simply carry-overs from English conventions on proper evening dress, but I think a few also have their own merits.

For example, a white shirt works better at night because white frames the face better under artificial lighting. Likewise, smooth calf, particularly in black, can look considerably more stunning than a matte suede. Calf will gleam from the reflecting streetlights, whereas suede will look rather unremarkable when there’s not enough light to show off its nap. This is why I think every man should have a pair of black calf shoes, even if he doesn’t go to many formal functions.

I also don’t think certain lighter-colored garments should ever be worn at night, but this is a rather fuzzy area. If you have the occasion, a classic white or cream dinner jacket will obviously look quite fantastic, as can a cream linen or solid tan wool suit on a casual summer’s evening. However, I think the acceptability starts to weaken once you get into those brighter garments that principally express the cheerfulness of daytime - for example, loud chinos or light-colored shoes. Those are best worn when it’s sunny out, in my opinion.

So, when I can, I try to get dressed according to the time of day that I’m going out. If it’s in the morning or afternoon, I may wear a blue shirt, mid-toned jacket, and brown suede shoes. If I’m wearing a tie, it might also be of a brighter color, but doesn’t have to be. If it’s at night, I’ll wear a white shirt, darker jacket, and black calf shoes. The tie will likewise be dark. In this way, I think I better reflect the time of the day’s mood and work well with my environment. After all, the expressions of these two kinds of ensembles are as different as night and day.

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    a post so nice he made it twice

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like I just read an excerpt from american psycho except it wasn't about hideously clashing clothes

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Wait?

WELL

that DEPENDS

if you believe being addressed by a male at a convention as if he assumes you don't know how to play Quake is harassment, then E3 is basically a huge rape orgy

Assuming a woman doesn't know how to do something for the sole reason that she is a woman is misogyny.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    The headline alone almost got me to break my longstanding rule never to watch anything from Fox.

Almost.

However, if he gets the shit kicked out of him part way through by a real homeless person I’ll bite.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Don't most advocates for the homeless agree on this? I know I've seen studies before claiming most homelss don't panhandle and most panhandlers aren't homeless.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Uh, yeah, but this is so that anti-persons can demonize the homeless.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Those homeless people just need some bootstraps.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    jaziek wrote: »

the only charity i give is handing out bootstraps* to people on the street. Teach a man to fish and all that

*no boots though

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Gonna buy 100 crates of bootstraps, hand them out to people in the streets.

• Options
    I wonder how much the guy out here who pretends he's a bush makes in a day.

Probably a decent bit in the summer.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »

the only charity i give is handing out bootstraps* to people on the street. Teach a man to fish and all that

*no boots though

give a man a bootstrap, and he'll pull himself up for only a day.

teach a man to bootstrap, and he'll pull himself up for a lifetime.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Ok so far:
    ...to be fair it's wealthy people who do most of the freeloading. Corporate welfare, farm subsidies, and I collected federal insurance because I had a beach house.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Ok I really want someone else to watch that 3 minute segment and please tell me what was offensive in it outside of the words "these street people" because I don't see anything objectionable said by Stossel in that segment.

Butters on
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »

Don't most advocates for the homeless agree on this? I know I've seen studies before claiming most homelss don't panhandle and most panhandlers aren't homeless.

I think there's some merit to that perspective that has almost nothing to do with anything seen at the above link...