As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want to get a tattoo, but I have no clue on where to start.

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been wanting to get a tattoo for years now. Now that I finally found something that I really want on my body, the next step is the whole 'planning to get one' phase.

Thing is, how do I even know if it'll look good on my skin and stuff? I mean, my body isn't exactly paper white.

So. How do I take steps to get good looking tattoo?

Casually Hardcore on

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'll preface this by stating that I have no tattoos. I like to read threads about tattoos, but haven't gotten around to getting one yet. I've read similar threads to this for years so I'll toss out some basics...

The first thing you need to do is find a good parlor. Make sure the place is clean, has (and uses) an autoclave to sterilize their stuff, preferably a place that has photos of actual tattoos they've done on the walls (not a catalog of stuff that can do, but actual custom works of art). Maybe talk to people who have tattoos that you like and ask them where they got them done. Take your time when picking the place, you'll have your entire life to enjoy your tattoo if it's good, and just as long to regret it if it's not.

Once you find a parlor that you like, talk to the artist about your design and skin tone concerns. A good artist will address your concerns, make suggestions and give you a good idea of what the tattoo will look like once it's done.
    If the artist points at a book and tells you to pick our tattoo out of it, leave. You want a tattoo that means something to you, not a piece of clipart.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm just going to repost my experience and that you should strive to have something similar, so you don't end up with a tattoo or an experience you'll regret. See has the gist of it; the parlor should be nice. Clean. Ideally, a welcoming atmosphere especially to someone getting their first ink. The prospective artist is looking for YOUR business, not the other way around. And even an good artist booked will into the future will still value your individual business. They should take the time to discuss your ideas with you; not while they're working and distracted on another client, even if it means rescheduling a sit down time later on. Look at their portfolio. Ask about pricing, what to expect, how long it will take. Ask any question no matter how stupid. Ask about care before hand, just so you know what to expect. Also, as it was passed onto me before, even if I didn't follow the advice entirely, make sure the art you want is what you want, and sit on it a long time. I had one in mind for a year; and then this new design popped up, even stemming from a joke, and after a month I was sure I wanted it as my first tattoo. You should be excited to get it, not worried about consequences of it. If the parlor contributes to any of those worries, then you either need a new parlor or maybe reconsider the tattoo.
    Okay so anyways, here's how my adventure-in-choosing-an-artist went: we have three reputable places in town (and a few shady ones, I just avoided those all together). I went in to each one just to chat, get a feel for their place of business, let them know what I was interested in, and most importantly ask questions. You're the customer, they should be trying to get your business. Not bending over backwards to please you, mind you, but considerate of what you're asking of them. I asked about availability, how much time they think the piece would take, rates, etc. This is the very-quick sketch I took in to each place (and had a copy ready to give to any who wanted it):

imgp7314.jpg
    First studio we went to is actually a pretty good one on the west coast, Jeff Gogue's. Guy's gotten himself a reputation and he's in my small town! He's also not accepting any new clients, but does have other artists on staff, so the guy I talked to was Shawn Herbank. Very chill guy, was giving me his total attention, heard me out, was enthusiastic; basically everything I was hoping to find in an artist. He had an appointment come in at that time, so he asked if I would leave my sketch and he'd draw something based off it, and if I could come back in a few hours. Awesome!

Second guy wanted a deposit before he even looked at the sketch. And then he gave some ramble about how he does his own thing, and he's never really had any complaints, and the whole time I get this feeling that he's not even listening to me. Scratch off the list.

Third guy was much more accommodating, heard me out, also wanted a small deposit before he would draw something out, so I left the place feeling like the Shawn was going to be my best bet for a happy experience.

Went back, discussed placement, size, other possibilities, expansion later on, color, rates, timeframe, basically everything. This is what he had come up with:
    imgp7312v.jpg
    I was pretty much enamored with the design right off the back. He mentioned how much more organic the bones were compared to the garden tools, but still kept the feeling of the pirate skull and crossbones. This was a guy who listened and was making a tattoo for ME, not for his portfolio. Then he said he'd email me a final inked version, and for me to think it over and write back before the appointment if I had any other changes I'd like. He only asked for a $50 deposit when we wanted to make an appointment. This is the final version that came today:

revision.jpg

Other than the leaf, which I like but not the placement, I'm set on the tattoo. This has so far been a great experience.
    -Jordan

That was two consulations with the artist, and an email correspondence. Compared to one guy who wanted money up front to even look at my sketch, one who would have to consider if he even liked the idea, and another one who was okay but Shawn was better than all of them.

Here's the follow up:
    tattoovm.jpg

Yeah it's big. Yours might be, it might not. Personally, and nothing against people who have done this, but I didn't want my 'first tattoo' to be a little star or something on a hardly noticeable place. I was gunning for a tattoo and was going all in. 5 hours in the chair, all of it done at once. He could've done two sessions, but that would've upped the price. Another thing to ask about concerning specifics about pricing and the size of what you're looking for. Good luck, let me know how it turns out. Getting a tattoo was a euphoric experience for me, I can easily see how people get wrapped up into wanting more, and I look forward to hearing success stories from other forumers jumping into the same pool!

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again, your tat is fucking aces, Zoid.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Post where you are, there might be other forumers who live nearby who can reccommend someone.

Post on Facebook (this will probably be a better bet) asking where other people got theirs done.

Then as Jordan said check them out and be comfortable with them as an artist. And unless you are getting simple lettering, expect to pay a reasonable price for it.

• Options
    CincituckyCincitucky Registered User regular
    Do you have friends or acquaintence with tattoos? Since my recent work, I've recommend people to the shop where my work was done.

Personal testimony is a way of finding a place that does great work. Though my one suggestion with using someone's recommendation is to follow what Metroid went over: critique the place's environment, artist's work, and the artist themselves.

Good tattoos are never cheap. Expect to tip your artist.

Imagine what "cheese' could exist if someone tried to copy Velveeta.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I know people with tattoos, but they're all ghetto looking and looked like something you would get from prison.

So is it normal for the artist to sketch out your idea? Cause, I can't draw worth shit. I know what I cant in my head, but I haven't the faintest idea on how to get what I have in my head onto a piece of paper. Also, how much should one expect to pay? I'm planning to put away $500-700 over the year and getting it when I'm done with college.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Alright, as someone with full sleeves, chest, stomach, neck, and back work, I'm pretty qualified here.

Visit shops. Lots of them. Look through portfolios. Ask people on the street who have work that you like where they got it done. Go somewhere that you have to make an appointment. Any artist worth his salt is going to have at least a month wait. Occasionally you'll get lucky and they'll have a cancellation, but not likely. My guy is two-three months out for new clients at the moment.
    So is it normal for the artist to sketch out your idea? Cause, I can't draw worth shit. I know what I cant in my head, but I haven't the faintest idea on how to get what I have in my head onto a piece of paper. Also, how much should one expect to pay? I'm planning to put away $500-700 over the year and getting it when I'm done with college.

That's very normal. You can bring in a picture, but they're going to need to tweak it so that it fits onto your body just perfectly.

Like Blake T said, if you post your location, someone might be able to recommend a shop.

Esh on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I'm at Denver Colorado.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, I'm at Denver Colorado.

Oh, there's bound to be some great artists there. Unfortunately I don't know of any.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Try on Facebook anyway.

You'd be surprised the number of people with subtle out of the way tattoos, or that you have overlooked. Even if you don't like their work you can google the studio and see what else the studio has done.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've only got one (at the moment) but the key for me was finding someone with a portfolio that matched what I was looking for. I asked friends/family and got a bunch of recommendations to narrow down my search, but then it was actually Facebook that finalized my hunt. In my case, I wanted something with very clean lines in a limited color pallet so when I saw one of my friend's recommendation's portfolio and his notes that he loves doing black and red tattoos it immediately clicked and the call/emails made me feel even more comfortable with my choice. Social media makes it insanely easy to check out a place's work - every place except I think one that was recommended to me had facebook pages where people were posting their work.

While I was there they were sketching things out for customers - non-regulars they were asking a deposit for the art work just to ensure they weren't wasting their time. I think he had about a 3 week waiting list at the time and it would have been longer but my work schedule was flexible so I could do mid-week. I didn't meet with him in person prior, we did a ton over email working on the design though. Next time when he adds to the design I have a general idea but will need more feedback from him on the design so I'll probably meet in person though.