[The Secret World] HEY! It's free to play (with purchase)!

2456799

Posts

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Pretty much, they're marked though so no worries. As for the AP... eh, it's not hard to make that back. Early on it -seems- slow but things pick up so much as you get into later zones, worrying over 3 AP will seem silly to you.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Screenshot round two!
    Ryfle_picture004.jpg
    My buddy on the left, me on the right.

    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Is there any endgame? I played the beta (thanks to a nice guy here giving me a code) and it is definitely interesting - I especially love the skill system - but am afraid there will be nothing to do once I hit max level, just like basically every MMO I've played since WoW launch. I just got TERA, loved the combat, had a blast leveling, and realized the end game is an insane grind fest with no point.

    I know the game has PvP of some sort, and I know they have "elite" dungeons I guess (are these like Heroic WoW dungeons?) but are there raids? Or what else does a person do at end game

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Well, for one there aren't any levels.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    What I mean by max level is maxing out a particular role, IE filling out hammer and Chaos and building a (theoretically) high end tank build. Obviously end game content couldn't possibly require a person to unlock every skill for every weapon, the only logical thing to do is make it doable for players with at least 2 weapons maxed out. Then the gear comes into play.

  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Actually I'd say it takes more than just filling out your two chosen weapons, there's a lot of thought to consider in passives more than anything.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So...I've been seriously eyeballing this. Are all three guilds pretty active currently?

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The cabals/guilds don't matter, in the end. We'll be communicating through the chat channel. You can group up and play with any faction, the only separation is for PvP.

    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: ArthilCwcuLUM.jpg
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    Well its only day 1, going into day 2. There were quite a few people on but yeah, guilds are mainly for pvp. I think we only chatted in guild chat once, the rest is in the PA channel.

    steam_sig.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I eagerly await coming across some Six Mouths or WANG dudes in PvP.

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Took the plunge. I'll be joining you gents in a couple hours

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    are the chat servers down?

    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    are the chat servers down?

    No, just /camp to the character select screen and log back in.

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The freaking skill system can be as easy or freakishly in depth as you want it to be.

    Building synergy between various Active and Passives is crazy. Especially when you begin to include "bridge" Passives which just makes my brain hurt.

    But in a good way. :P

    edit- Just looking at all the Active and Passive abilities at face value you can figure out some decent, workable builds. However that barely scratches the surface. Once you get a better understand of what is going on you can come up with all manner of insane combos.

    Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    I now have a suit, shirt and tie and dress shoes.

    Dapper British Gent up ins.

    Had to buy shirt and shoes with fun bucks. Do the different factions have different clothes in their hubs?

    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    I now have a suit, shirt and tie and dress shoes.

    Dapper British Gent up ins.

    Had to buy shirt and shoes with fun bucks. Do the different factions have different clothes in their hubs?

    I lied, turns out all the clothing stores are in london.

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Is it just Pangea?

    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    Is it just Pangea?

    Yeah, seems so.

    During the last beta event different shops were scattered between the 3 cities, but London still had the most (which were scattered about the area). Everything is a hell of a lot more convenient now.

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    yes Lou.

    Giving up on men in black vans, seems bugged.

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Just got home from bartending. Gonna get like 5 hours of sleep and wake up and keep burning through Kingsmouth.

  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    So how is it? I've been kind of interested in this game but not sure if I want to get it. How is the combat and quests? Are they interesting?

  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm only in the first real town, but I went in with a very pessimistic view, and I have been greatly surprised so far. The combat, which I initially thought was weak, has a lot more depth than I thought. The quests have yet to feel like typical fetch/kill quests, despite them being just that. I think the story really makes it feel less like a game mechanic and more like something your character needs to make happen in that crazy world. The voice acting is actually quite well done, and each character has lots of optional stuff to chitchat about and they help increase your knowledge about the world and increase the lore which, for me, is huge. I love fleshed-out worlds.

    The quests that are less straight forward require some brain power, some observational skills, and a few have stumped me initially because I have the worst memory and I overlook visual things often. But it has such a treat trying to figure some of those quests out. Feels very satisfying when completing them.

    It had a few annoying problems that every game seems to have on launch and that always boggle my mind that they have those problems. Chat bugs, friends list oddities, things like that. But unlike the last Funcom MMO launches, the problems (like mentioned) have all been small, not giant issues. And other than that, I've had no issues at all. No crashes, no lag, no trouble getting in game. It's been a very smooth release so far.

    vamen on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Anyone else stuck at login?

    Edit: NVM, just had to re-launch.

    Triple B on
    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    Off to the Pub but want to do polaris later. Get questing folks!

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Just an observation- if you do Pro-tip #2 it mostly negates the need for Pro-tip #1.

  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    An important point to make is that the Skill/Action point system is very intuitive and while difficult to describe is easy to pick up and works well in practice.

  • bones09bones09 Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    The quests that are less straight forward require some brain power, some observational skills, and a few have stumped me initially because I have the worst memory and I overlook visual things often. But it has such a treat trying to figure some of those quests out. Feels very satisfying when completing them.

    Some of these are nuts. I just completed one where I was given audio of a signal, recognized it as morse, then spent time looking at a morse alphabet and figuring out what it said. There was nothing to click to say "hey, I understand this message". Instead, I had to figure it out to know where to go next, and once I got there it completed that portion of the quest for me. It took a good amount of time, but gave a ton of experience.

  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    bones09 wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    The quests that are less straight forward require some brain power, some observational skills, and a few have stumped me initially because I have the worst memory and I overlook visual things often. But it has such a treat trying to figure some of those quests out. Feels very satisfying when completing them.

    Some of these are nuts. I just completed one where I was given audio of a signal, recognized it as morse, then spent time looking at a morse alphabet and figuring out what it said. There was nothing to click to say "hey, I understand this message". Instead, I had to figure it out to know where to go next, and once I got there it completed that portion of the quest for me. It took a good amount of time, but gave a ton of experience.

    Yeah I had to sample the audio file to translate that. Good stuff!

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    Guys, GUYS! I just used my mic to decode Morse Code! I've been loving this game all along but after that...man. Can you marry software?

    steam_sig.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    So...This game isn't terrible. Color me impressed.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Beezel wrote: »
    So...This game isn't terrible. Color me impressed.

    It is very not terrible; if you don't mind dropping dough on the box price, and monthly fee, and optional cosmetic microtransactions. This close to GW2's now confirmed release date and PS2's closed beta, I for one cannot justify it, which is sad because I very much enjoyed the refreshing lack of levels and more quest and skill variety. I think I would probably get into it if it only had a box purchase F2P model with microtransactions.

    If I was less invested in that other stuff, I'd probably do it anyway.

    Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • floodriptidefloodriptide Registered User regular
    Another Pro-Tip:
    Unless you are looking for spoilers, when doing google searches with the in-game browser for investigations include this in your search string:
    -"The Secret World"

    Pelloquin @ The Secret World-TSM
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Welp, I went ahead and purchased this. Is there any indication of any sort of faction imbalance at the moment? I know you can PvE with everyone and ever server or whatever they call it is basically combined into one, which is awesome, but if one faction is really hurting on players (DAoC was notoriously awful with this, as was SWToR) I'd like to get on their side.

    Karrmer on
  • Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    Karrmer wrote: »
    Welp, I went ahead and purchased this. Is there any indication of any sort of faction imbalance at the moment? I know you can PvE with everyone and ever server or whatever they call it is basically combined into one, which is awesome, but if one faction is really hurting on players (DAoC was notoriously awful with this, as was SWToR) I'd like to get on their side.

    It's hard to tell at this point of least for me. I'm still in kingsmouth. Maybe someone who's higher level and has done some pvp will know?

    Also Pro-Tip
    To loot items on the floor in the immediate vicinity, just hit V

  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    Dragon are underpop for sure on our server I reckon. But as for our guilds, probably Illuminati.

    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • bones09bones09 Registered User regular
    Pat_McRoch wrote: »
    Karrmer wrote: »
    Welp, I went ahead and purchased this. Is there any indication of any sort of faction imbalance at the moment? I know you can PvE with everyone and ever server or whatever they call it is basically combined into one, which is awesome, but if one faction is really hurting on players (DAoC was notoriously awful with this, as was SWToR) I'd like to get on their side.

    It's hard to tell at this point of least for me. I'm still in kingsmouth. Maybe someone who's higher level and has done some pvp will know?

    Also Pro-Tip
    To loot items on the floor in the immediate vicinity, just hit V

    Not sure about which has the smallest population, but it seems like Templars have the highest by a decent margin.

  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    Polaris group instance spoilers:
    44B2CDD1C41E1FB2C5C1ADE8147B2BD92E99878D


    AE57A0DA96F86279074D9868B0F555CEE9FBA7F4

    :D

    steam_sig.png XBL: FiveAgainst1
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    bones09 wrote: »
    Pat_McRoch wrote: »
    Karrmer wrote: »
    Welp, I went ahead and purchased this. Is there any indication of any sort of faction imbalance at the moment? I know you can PvE with everyone and ever server or whatever they call it is basically combined into one, which is awesome, but if one faction is really hurting on players (DAoC was notoriously awful with this, as was SWToR) I'd like to get on their side.

    It's hard to tell at this point of least for me. I'm still in kingsmouth. Maybe someone who's higher level and has done some pvp will know?

    Also Pro-Tip
    To loot items on the floor in the immediate vicinity, just hit V

    Not sure about which has the smallest population, but it seems like Templars have the highest by a decent margin.

    Yeah I was surprised by that. I thought for sure Illuminati would be the most popular. Usually the bad guys are the most popular in an MMO. Technically none of the three factions are good/bad. Some are just more altruistic than others.

    As for PvP, faction imbalance should only come in the play in the Fusong Warzone. That is the one with a never ending war (literally it never ends, you can pop in and out at any time) for the three facilities.

    The other two, El Dorado and Stonehenge, take there players from all of the dimensions combined and should have a fixed number for each side. Fusong has a max player cap of 225 per dimension reserving 75 players for each side. Since it rages on 24/7 each side may not hit their 75 player limit. Truth be told, in the last beta weekend anyway, I thought the Dragons were doing fairly well. My experience was that they'd let the Lumies and Templars duke it out while they snuck around and cap'd points, but that doesn't seem to be happening on our server now.

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    It is very not terrible; if you don't mind dropping dough on the box price, and monthly fee, and optional cosmetic microtransactions. This close to GW2's now confirmed release date and PS2's closed beta, I for one cannot justify it, which is sad because I very much enjoyed the refreshing lack of levels and more quest and skill variety. I think I would probably get into it if it only had a box purchase F2P model with microtransactions.

    If I was less invested in that other stuff, I'd probably do it anyway.

    I can't wait for GW2 and PS2.

    But this game is still absolutely fantastic because it does one thing that most MMO's haven't done in a while... engage my brain. Quests require some thought, picking skills has a billion options and not some single option that the devs min/maxed with pointless talent trees.

    The thing that I'm having the hardest time believing is that this is the same folks who shitted out that Age of Conan crap (after the first 20 or so level).

    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if I quit the installer partway through, will it restart where it left off on this 14 GB file or does it need to re-download the whole thing again?

This discussion has been closed.