As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    What mods (if any) are recommended for Shogun 2. All I have is one that adds more years to the campaigns.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    What mods (if any) are recommended for Shogun 2. All I have is one that adds more years to the campaigns.

Darthmod. If you're wondering what mod to get for any particular Total war game the answer is always Darthmod.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

Darthmod. If you're wondering what mod to get for any particular Total war game the answer is always Darthmod.

Please note that opinion on this varies wildly. Some people love it, some hate it. At the end of the day, Darthmod is a large mod compilation that allows some customization. It doesn't do anything for the AI in Shogun 2, despite the compiler's assertion. I always find compiling my own pack is the best way to go, especially since that way I don't end up with hacked up unit table "improvements", glitched blobs, and etc. Other than that, modding for Shogun 2 depends A LOT on your personal taste since there's a lot of mods to customize arrow trails, uniforms, graphics, units, etc. If you use a one size fits all thing like darthmod, you'll likely not like everything it changes and it doesn't really offer full customization. You're better off looking at the mod subsections at the Total War Center (and never, ever posting there) to pick up some mods you look at and like. The Steam workshop is also fairly robust by now I think. Installing mods is very easy so you don't need to worry about that.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Playing Shogun 2 for the first time in years

As in every Total War game, an enemy dropping a stack into my capital because I moved everyone halfway across the country and neglected my navy suuuuucks

Really need to get the expansions, though. And forgot how short the short campaign is--I never feel like I have nearly enough time!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Playing Shogun 2 for the first time in years

As in every Total War game, an enemy dropping a stack into my capital because I moved everyone halfway across the country and neglected my navy suuuuucks

Really need to get the expansions, though. And forgot how short the short campaign is--I never feel like I have nearly enough time!

Get Fall of the Samurai! unless you don't like guns. imo even though it's rather short and limited insofar as variety, it's probably the most fun TW game I've ever played, even though it's an expansion. The naval part is, surprisingly, a big part of that. taking your ironclads out to see, supporting your armies on the coast with support bombardments (hilarious on coastal castles), and even just plain ol' naval battles are fun. for a mechanic that they so often get wrong, they got it right in that one.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I also loved Rise of the Samurai, to be honest. Don't really remember much of it, but I remember that I loved it.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Rise was a neat concept. It almost felt like Total War Lite or something. It was pretty simplified and short, pretty much nothing going on, and for all the complaints about the vanilla game having "no variety" (unfounded really), Rise REALLY had none.

all in all though Shogun 2 with all it's expansions was such a great package thematically and gameplay wise.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    All I know about Shogun 2 is I suck at castle assaults and I really suck at using the kaisho guys. Maybe I'll figure it out this time around.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Oh, right

I hated Realm Divide

Thank goodness for Steam Workshop support!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I enjoy Shogun 2 mechanically well enough, but I honestly just can't seem to get into it as much because I'm not as familiar with the Shogunate era of Japanese history as I am with the Roman/Medieval Europe time periods. Just doesn't have that hook to get me pulled in.

Also, I know it was mentioned that they WOULD be, but the original Medieval: Total War and original Shogun: Total War are both out. $10 each, probably $5 this Christmas, and $2.50 next summer sale. I ABSOLUTELY intend to pick up the original Medieval (which is what got me into the series). I played that so much the CD actually started to physically deteriorate to the point I couldn't install off of it anymore.

• Options
    Holy crap, I am converting to Christianity this play through, which I don't think I've ever done.....holy crap the Nanban trade ship is really just nearly almighty. What can even get close? I guess if you had a lot of heavy ships to box it in, but still.

Going to be hard to not use it in any future games.

• Options
    Holy crap, I am converting to Christianity this play through, which I don't think I've ever done.....holy crap the Nanban trade ship is really just nearly almighty. What can even get close? I guess if you had a lot of heavy ships to box it in, but still.

Going to be hard to not use it in any future games.

if you like those, you should make an effort to capture the Portuguese Black Ship that shows up later. That thing can take on a whole fleet by itself.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Let me crush those dreams
    “This is Part One of the Trilogy,” explains Hall. “Each game will be a standalone game, but the map of the second one, for example, will slot into the first one like a jigsaw. So you can play it on its own, but if you have the first one then they’ll slot together to create a bigger map. The third one will do the same and by the end of it we’ll have the largest Total War campaign there’s ever been.”
    “They’re all totally different so you can imagine when - or if - we get to the Elves and the Skaven, it’ll be different again. So it’s more than just different colour armour, not to be disparaging to the history titles.”

Say it with me everyone.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

• Options
    Myeh.
    My experience with standalone expansiongames isn't terrible. On the other hand it's frequently "Pay again for work we've already done, so hand off another €10 more than you would have paid for the equivalent DLC"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Oh I really really doubt these will be ten dollar expansions.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

That's not what I said either.

• Options

No, I know.

It's just I'm expecting to have to pay full price for the same game three times now. Because that's the way this seems to be going now. Describing it as a "Trilogy"

• Options

No, I know.

It's just I'm expecting to have to pay full price for the same game three times now. Because that's the way this seems to be going now. Describing it as a "Trilogy"

Yup.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    They said "trilogy" in the original press release, back in April.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Let me crush those dreams
    “This is Part One of the Trilogy,” explains Hall. “Each game will be a standalone game, but the map of the second one, for example, will slot into the first one like a jigsaw. So you can play it on its own, but if you have the first one then they’ll slot together to create a bigger map. The third one will do the same and by the end of it we’ll have the largest Total War campaign there’s ever been.”
    “They’re all totally different so you can imagine when - or if - we get to the Elves and the Skaven, it’ll be different again. So it’s more than just different colour armour, not to be disparaging to the history titles.”

That actually sounds pretty awesome. The combination of maps from different games of the series is something I felt they should have done with Rome 2's DLCs, letting you slot Hannibal, Caesar in Gaul, and the Greek one together to make a better western europe/Mediterannean map. Yeah, it will probably be $60 for each "sequel" when they should be coming out as $15-$30 expansions, but I'm willing to wait for price drops (and patches). CA is usually good about putting their games on sale a year after release.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »
    They said "trilogy" in the original press release, back in April.

It's not even a trilogy. It's just three releases of the same game. They're literally just cutting the game into thirds and selling each third as it's own game game.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I'm also skeptical of CA after Rome 2, to the point where I didn't buy Atilla because it looks just like Rome 2. I do think we need to wait and see what the actual campaign and content looks like before we come to any conclusion of splitting the game yet.

Do I expect DLC-whoring to the extreme like in Rome 2? Orcs, Dorfs, Empire, and Vampire Counts are playable with AI Chaos it seems. If they find a way of making each of these factions actually unique to play and fight against, and then in the next game we get equally unique Asur/High Elves, Dark Elves, Brettonia, Skaven, and playable Chaos, then that's fine by me.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I'm also skeptical of CA after Rome 2, to the point where I didn't buy Atilla because it looks just like Rome 2. I do think we need to wait and see what the actual campaign and content looks like before we come to any conclusion of splitting the game yet.

Do I expect DLC-whoring to the extreme like in Rome 2? Orcs, Dorfs, Empire, and Vampire Counts are playable with AI Chaos it seems. If they find a way of making each of these factions actually unique to play and fight against, and then in the next game we get equally unique Asur/High Elves, Dark Elves, Brettonia, Skaven, and playable Chaos, then that's fine by me.

Given how big any given Total War game gets, I'm not too worried right now. Even Shogun 2's much smaller map compared to Rome or Medieval was pretty damn meaty.

Mind you I'm firmly in the "you have HOW much Crusader Kings 2 DLC!?!??" set so my opinion of how much you can keep buying a grand strategy game may be a tad skewed.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I give them more credit. The Warhammer map is HUGE. There are so many god damn factions too. This is the only way to do it reasonably, IMO.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I'm okay with this. All the Factions in Warhammer should feel very different from each other.

It will be the implementation, and not the idea itself, that makes or breaks this for me.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I give them more credit. The Warhammer map is HUGE. There are so many god damn factions too. This is the only way to do it reasonably, IMO.

I'd give them more credit if they didn't blatantly go for a money grab with all the Rome 2 DLC even though the game after release was clearly just broken and terrible (and largely still is, frankly).

• Options
    Which game will have the master race - and kill-kill the manthings!

• Options

I just want space marines :-x

• Options
    Kashaar wrote: »

I just want space marines :-x

Wait until the Age of Sigmar sequel trilogy!

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    This seems pretty on par with how games are monetised these days. If we get four new factions per game I'll probably be satisfied, especially considering how much effort they seem to be putting into unit variety for each one. Two good and two evil factions seems like the lowest reasonable number.

It does beg the question where the game will expand next. Perhaps the most logical direction would be west, to include Bretonnia, Wood Elves, Beastmen and maybe Skaven. Then further west across the sea, to include High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and... I dunno. Chaos seems like something that will either be a part of the first installment, or added as DLC.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »
    This seems pretty on par with how games are monetised these days. If we get four new factions per game I'll probably be satisfied, especially considering how much effort they seem to be putting into unit variety for each one. Two good and two evil factions seems like the lowest reasonable number.

It does beg the question where the game will expand next. Perhaps the most logical direction would be west, to include Bretonnia, Wood Elves, Beastmen and maybe Skaven. Then further west across the sea, to include High Elves, Dark Elves, Lizardmen and... I dunno. Chaos seems like something that will either be a part of the first installment, or added as DLC.

Down-Loadable Chaos?

• Options
    Uh yeah this sounds like a pretty trademark "user jumps to conclusion to try to confirm own bias." if this installment were more modular it would make a lot of sense.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I just hope they fix character family trees. In attilla you will have generals and children that are not on the tree. Just hope you don't have to assassinate him I suppose.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    I just hope they fix character family trees. In attilla you will have generals and children that are not on the tree. Just hope you don't have to assassinate him I suppose.

In terms of the leaders of your faction, there are no family trees.

Karl Franz/Carlstein/Dorf king/Ork Boss can't have a wife or children or truly die I don't think.

I don't know if other generals have family trees. It would be nice to see a family tree for them, even a streamlined functional tree like in Shogun 2 (or Atilla I think).

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Trailer for dwarfs and a peek at underground combat out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL7pBMxdX6o

It'd be neat to fight outside, and hopefully inside, big underground dwarven cities.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    They took so much substance out of the franchise, that I knew it would eventually devolve into some fantasy crap. It used to be a great franchise, the game concept is still amazing... but it has been each time shallower since Empire TW. I just hope they go back to historical events, and campaigns filled with tips and trivia of the time period, and how they affect the world you are playing in. Even Rome II felt really devoid of "spirit", compared to Rome I.... I havent had the courage to pick up Shogun II yet, since Shogun I was the first TW game I played, my heart would not survive if I see they turned it into shiny garbage.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    They took so much substance out of the franchise, that I knew it would eventually devolve into some fantasy crap. It used to be a great franchise, the game concept is still amazing... but it has been each time shallower since Empire TW. I just hope they go back to historical events, and campaigns filled with tips and trivia of the time period, and how they affect the world you are playing in. Even Rome II felt really devoid of "spirit", compared to Rome I.... I havent had the courage to pick up Shogun II yet, since Shogun I was the first TW game I played, my heart would not survive if I see they turned it into shiny garbage.

I don't know. I Rome 1 was my first TW game, but it never really grabbed me. Next I played Empire, and holy hell did I love it. I also really liked Rome 2, and then came to love it after some patches (and sweet, sweet mods). I'm also in love with TW Attila - which was a return to form with familiy trees and jazz.

Oh I also enjoyed Shogun 2, but not as much as R2 or Attila.

Although Fall of the Samurai was ridiculously good.

• Options
    Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai are awesome.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Shogun 2 is much game better compared to Rome II, and is a significant improvement over the original title.

With regards to Rome II; it's like CA took 1 step forward, and 10 steps back with its game design. If it retained the UI design and gameplay mechanics from Shogun II, it would've been a vastly superior game.

Prisca on
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

What are you talking about Warhammer is awesome.

You haven't even played Shogun II or fall of the Samurai and yet here you are despairing?

Come on man have an open mind about stuff!

This discussion has been closed.