As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War: Discussion] Total WAAAAAAAAGH WARHAMMER!

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    The recent humble bundle made me give Shogun 2 a shot.

I fucking hate it.

The game seems mechanically sound, the factions are interesting and varied, but even at reasonable difficulty levels I get absolutely drowned in war declarations. I tried out the Ikko Ikki, and within 30 turns a literal two thirds of the mainlands were at war with me, with five big factions bearing down on my cities with multiple full stacks of units while I could barely afford the upkeep for a single one. I figured that that particular start might be extra difficult and tried one of the island clans, but even then I was declared war on by every single faction I met, including one over the ocean that proceeded to land a full stack on my most distant, undefended city.

I know these games are called Total War, but I would at least like a little bit of agency about the factions I choose to fight!

The Ikko Ikki makes everyone hate them because they are a unique religion and them spreading (by existing) it causes riots and rebellions everywhere. Its why you start with two heavily fortified mountainous provinces.

Ikko Ikki is literally super-tough mod, to the point that even modding does not make the faction an easier playthrough.

By contrast, clans like the Shimazu (particularly them, since they basically start on the far end of Kyushu and only have neighbors in one direction, and sweet trade pacts in the other) will face none of those issues: other clans like or are generally neutral towards them, they have a normal military recruitment system (the Ikko Ikki don't). Realm divide is, by design, overly harsh (just to basically extend the endgame--to have reached realm divide successfully, you will have needed complete or near-complete domination over every other clan in the game).

The fact that you ran into issues with another clan is kind of surprising (there are some other pariah-like clans though). Which one is it?

This was kind of a while ago, but it was actually Shimazu. I didn't really get annihilated, just annoyed to the point that I didn't want to keep playing, as offshore clans began to drop full stacks along my undefended coastal towns. Almost every single clan I directly encountered declared war on me within 5-10 rounds of meeting me, the exception being one I shared a mutual enemy with (who waited until we had annihilated that rival and then promptly declared on me anyway).

I did eventually play a successful game as the Ikko Ikki by turning the difficulty down to normal and changing my tactics. It turns out that Ikko Ikki ashigaru archers are utterly useless, so replacing those with loan sword ashigary improved my armies combat prowess considerably. Once I got some archer monks rolling I was a force to be reckoned with. Bribing my way into an alliance with some of my more powerful neighbours was key as well.

Vic on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The funny thing about realm divide is that people complain about it being gamey but that's pretty much how it happened in real life when someone got too powerful. Tokugawa was just the first leader to actually win his realm divide war.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    The recent humble bundle made me give Shogun 2 a shot.

I fucking hate it.

The game seems mechanically sound, the factions are interesting and varied, but even at reasonable difficulty levels I get absolutely drowned in war declarations. I tried out the Ikko Ikki, and within 30 turns a literal two thirds of the mainlands were at war with me, with five big factions bearing down on my cities with multiple full stacks of units while I could barely afford the upkeep for a single one. I figured that that particular start might be extra difficult and tried one of the island clans, but even then I was declared war on by every single faction I met, including one over the ocean that proceeded to land a full stack on my most distant, undefended city.

I know these games are called Total War, but I would at least like a little bit of agency about the factions I choose to fight!

The Ikko Ikki makes everyone hate them because they are a unique religion and them spreading (by existing) it causes riots and rebellions everywhere. Its why you start with two heavily fortified mountainous provinces.

Ikko Ikki is literally super-tough mod, to the point that even modding does not make the faction an easier playthrough.

By contrast, clans like the Shimazu (particularly them, since they basically start on the far end of Kyushu and only have neighbors in one direction, and sweet trade pacts in the other) will face none of those issues: other clans like or are generally neutral towards them, they have a normal military recruitment system (the Ikko Ikki don't). Realm divide is, by design, overly harsh (just to basically extend the endgame--to have reached realm divide successfully, you will have needed complete or near-complete domination over every other clan in the game).

The fact that you ran into issues with another clan is kind of surprising (there are some other pariah-like clans though). Which one is it?

This was kind of a while ago, but it was actually Shimazu. I didn't really get annihilated, just annoyed to the point that I didn't want to keep playing, as offshore clans began to drop full stacks along my undefended coastal towns. Almost every single clan I directly encountered declared war on me within 5-10 rounds of meeting me, the exception being one I shared a mutual enemy with (who waited until we had annihilated that rival and then promptly declared on me anyway).

I did eventually play a successful game as the Ikko Ikki by turning the difficulty down to normal and changing my tactics. It turns out that Ikko Ikki ashigaru archers are utterly useless, so replacing those with loan sword ashigary improved my armies combat prowess considerably. Once I got some archer monks rolling I was a force to be reckoned with. Bribing my way into an alliance with some of my more powerful neighbours was key as well.

Total War games are a lot of bullshit on the harder difficulties. Like 'PC clans automatically generating full army stacks from nothing just outside of your view' levels of bullshit.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, after all this I'm not buying this game on release. I'll wait a year for the pack that has all the DLC and expansions and buy it then.

Hell, I might just not buy it for two years and wait for the inevitable "everything" pack that costs $30 on Steam Sale.

I'm doing the same for any Beyond Earth expansions, too. Gonna wait at least one more expansion before ever playing that game again. Sorry guys, but you lost my trust in your ability to deliver for me to be paying full retail price on the release date.

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Have pre-ordered this.

They've absolutely nailed the warhammer feel and since WFB no longer exists (don't even talk to me about the abomination that has replaced it), this is the ONLY way I am going to get a warhammer fix.

Here's hoping to a long and successful life with many epic expansions!

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    As a longtime Total War fan; it's to be expected from CA/SEGA that they'd pull off this preorder bonus gimmick. I'm going to wait for player reviews and more likely a sale before I buy it.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    What caused CA to do the Total War: X thing.

X: Total War sounded punchier

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    What caused CA to do the Total War: X thing.

X: Total War sounded punchier

It made them sound more like they were all part of the same series.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I know it's not a popular opinion, but I just don't give a shit about preorder bonuses. At all. If I want them, I'll preorder, if I don't, I won't. I always check out youtube playthroughs and other stuff before I preorder a game, and I really can't remember the last time I preordered a game I ended up not liking. I don't care if a game that's up my alley has a preorder bonus, or how gimmicky it is or isn't or how "fair" other people think it is. Then again, I'm not someone who looks at review numbers and lets that make up my mind about if I like a game or not, I just watch videos pre-release and see if I like the gameplay. I can't count the number of great games I'd have missed out on if I waited for review scores or whatever instead of watching youtube walkthroughs and stuff like that.

I know some companies can go really far with trying to nickel and dime players, but honestly most aren't as bad as they're made up to be, and games are becoming more expensive to produce and developers face more and more pressure from publishers in the process, and all the while game prices have been basically unchanged for decades. If they want to throw in a faction as a bit of incentive, I'm not going to fault them in most cases.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    http://wccftech.com/total-war-warhammer-interview-richard-aldridge/
    Will the encyclopedia of the game require Internet connection to access?

I believe so. There will be an encyclopedia to inform you about the different units, the different races. We understand that not everyone is a Warhammer player and some folks interested in the game might just be fantasy or Total War fans, so the encyclopedia will be there to help you. We also have the quests of the legendary lords, each lord has one; they’re optional, but it brings out the narrative and history of those characters and their races.
    Can you talk a little bit about the lack of modding support?

Well, we’re working with this IP and we want to be authentic and we need to respect it. There will be a number of DLCs and free DLCs for the community, adding content to the game over time,
    An example of the free ones is Wurrzag, a legendary lord for the Greenskin and everyone will get him for free. He obviously has his own quest to go on, a background story, something exciting for you to play with.

arrrrrgh

and no darthmod

Trace on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Mod thing is probably more on GW than the Total War guys, and I do wish the encyclopedia was offline but there might be a few reasons they went with online vs offline (for example, online means people not currently playing can access it, it takes up less space, draws on less of the game to provide, etc.)

Also, as a defense/explanation of why they made Chaos a DLC faction apparently they made some posts in their forums about it. They're a bit long, so I've spoilered them
    The internet debate over TW: Warhammer's DLC and pre-order bonus content has ranged from troubling to horrific. In the studio it's sparked off a huge "wtf do we do about it" debate. A good portion of us have been arguing that whatever we say in response will just fan the flames - that there is no possible response we can actually make that would make it better.

I don't think this is true. I think the nature of our games means our players are intelligent and rational thinkers, and if we share with them the problems that we face, maybe they can help guide us to the solution that brings maximum happiness to the most players. That solution may be exactly what we are planning, but if it's something better we wouldn't hesitate to execute it.

So, the first thing we need to agree on is what we're trying to achieve - I've stated it as the maximum happiness for the most players. Even if you're uber-cynical about our motives and think that we're only interested in money, we should still agree on this because maximum happiness for the most players equals good business for us. In the long run having lots of happy customers enjoying what we make is really the only thing that's important.

As it happens, for us money isn't our main objective, but just like income in a TW campaign, it's important because more money lets us do more stuff. We can invest more in supporting products in the past, make more varied and higher quality games in the present, and invest in technology for the future.

Also, just like a TW campaign, we have to figure out the best strategy for maximising the number of happy players. Our general approach is to make the games we want to play and hope players agree with us, rather than trying to second guess what players might want and doing that. In the case of Warhammer, we want it all. All the races. All the units . All the magic. As authentically as we can possibly make it. With the best possible TW gameplay in there too.
    When we were first planning the project, it was immediately obvious that this was a bit of a problem. All that lot was going to cost four times as much to build as the contents of the treasury. We were going to need more resources. Lots more resources.

To get that investment from SEGA (who are always supportive in backing us), we demonstrate that we can release a great game that results in a lot of happy players. But in order to do that with Warhammer content, it has to be split up into reasonable pieces in order to do all of it at a reasonable resource cost.

The only way we can have all the races, all the units, all the magic, all authentic and super high quality is by building it up in multiple products; and for each of them we have to give a plausible prediction of how many people will be happy to buy it, so we can justify the cost of making it.

Now I'm going to massively oversimplify this, but here's the problem…

A full game’s-worth of development resources (time, money, people) can only support a certain amount of content. In this case it works out as four playable races. There’s so much depth, breadth and variety in them, these races really are a huge investment to make above the factions of previous games.

DLCs also support a certain amount of content, less than a main game of course but big enough to add more playable races, or add extra stuff to existing races in the case of smaller DLCs.

Additionally, DLC's that come out in the first 6 months get even more resources (as they will sell a lot more), and a good value pre-order incentive increases sales of the main game, allowing yet more content to be added into the main game.
    And we try and over-deliver; because we’re making the game we want to play.
    To release DLC within that 6 months after release, we have to start on it well before the game is finished. It’s outside the scope and budget of the main game, but it’s developed in parallel. We hired a whole extra team to do this because in total it's almost as much work as the original game.

If we were to add this extra content to the main game, we’d be operating at a loss, which we wouldn’t do.

So in TW: Warhammer’s case, we had our four main playable races sorted, and we’ve planned for Chaos to have a big role to play later in the trilogy. But we really wanted Chaos Warriors in the main game, even without DLC – to give a big, bad end of game "boss" enemy Race for all players. But we couldn’t do that within the resources for the main game. So we added it as the pre-order incentive that also gets sold on day one – making Chaos Warriors fully playable but also giving us the extra resources to add them as an Ai race for everyone.

So is adding chaos as a pre-order incentive "cut content"? I think the opposite is true. If we didn't add it to the pre-order, it would have been DLC later on and not in the game at release.

We thought we'd done well. Maybe there is a better solution - we're listening to all suggestions for the future. Maybe pre-orders are becoming so toxic they will stop working altogether. You'd hope not though, as it quite simply means those incentives will end up just being paid DLC after launch.

Pre-orders create buzz, improve sales and give the whole studio confidence in what we’re doing. They genuinely let us give you something for nothing, and you can't lose – if you aren’t happy with the final game, you should explore your refund rights. Even if you don’t pre-order, you get Chaos as an Ai opponent.
    Without wanting to repeat too much of what Mike’s said, here’s a bit more on the nature of the pre-order, what we’re going to do about showing you more of the game, and independent press and community reviews.

Chaos Warriors in the Main Game
    Just to make it totally clear, as we saw some confusion, Chaos Warriors do make an appearance in the main game; you don’t need the DLC to see them, just to play as them.

***Light Spoilers Start***
    It might not be a big spoiler, especially if you’re a fan of the lore, but suffice to say that the endgame in TW: Warhammer revolves around massive armies of Chaos Warriors, led by Archaon the Everchosen, descending on your race from the Chaos Wastes.

As the machinations of a certain character are revealed, Archaon will arrive – just when you think your immediate worries are under control (in uniting the empire, righting your grudges or otherwise banging some ‘eads together). Your Legendary Lord will then have something epically serious to contend with.

So while not intended to be a fully-fleshed out playable faction, Chaos Warriors are in the main game as an important ‘big opposition’ to give you a hard challenge towards the end of your campaign game. They appear even if you don’t have the Chaos Warriors Race Pack DLC.

The Race Pack enables you start a Grand Campaign as the Chaos Warriors, with a much-expanded roster and extra Legendary Lords to choose from. The Ai will then also take advantage of this expanded roster if you play another race in opposition.
    *** Spoilers End***

Also to say, Chaos Warriors aren’t the same as Chaos Daemons; we are treating them as separate, just like the tabletop army books. Later on in the trilogy, you will be exposed to the full horrors of the Realm of Chaos.

About Pre-order Bonuses
    We know pre-ordering is a leap of faith, but as Mike says it’s a very helpful indicator of interest in the game.
    To help incentivise that and to say thanks for putting your faith in us early, we offer a pre-order bonus.

We try to make those as good as possible. Not just to convince you, but to add value as much as we can.

In the past we’ve done simple single units or factions as pre-order bonuses that were exclusive to certain retailers (see TW: Empire). We didn’t feel that was totally great as, even if you did pre-order, you never got all the available content because it was exclusive (either to a single retailer or it wasn’t available after launch).

So now we have a dedicated production budget to generate DLC in support of the main games, and we assign some of that cost to helping create a really great pre-order bonus. And what’s more we can make it available to buy from day one if you don’t want to pre-order. So the advantage is there if you do put your money down early, but you don’t miss out entirely if you decide not to.

And also you can wait for a sale after launch and still pick it all up, again because it’s not exclusive to a retailer.
    We think it’s better to take the opportunity of doing a pre-order bonus and make it the best value we can.

Finally, you can take advantage of Steam Refunds, or any refund programme offered by your favourite retailer (and please check with them what it is before pre-ordering). We absolutely want you to be happy with what you’re buying and we’re committed to offering a deep and satisfying game.

I don’t want to pre-order without seeing more of the game or a review!
    That’s entirely and absolutely reasonable. We haven’t even scratched the surface of the game yet and there’s plenty more to come. Soon, through the eyes of the Greenskins, we’ll be showing you campaign gameplay for the first time. Then there’s lots, lots more, including plenty of livestreams, Lets Plays and Youtuber and press coverage.

Also, for TW: Warhammer we are going to be doing the same thing we did with TW: Attila. Reviewers and Youtubers are going to get the final game before release and can make their own Lets Plays and publish their own reviews in advance of the game going on sale.

Before release day, you should be in a position where you can read reviews and see the impressions from your favourite Youtuber, and still have time to decide if you want to pre-order.

If for whatever reason we aren't in a position where we can send code out to review and give people enough time to review it before release, we will move the release date back until we can.

We know that at the end of the day it is on us to prove to you that the game we’re making is incredible. We hope to do that.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I would ask why the encyclopedia can't have both online and offline functionality. It's text and graphics, it shouldn't take much space compared to the rest of the game. GW does have a strict attitude to mods. In DOW, only mods that used the overall 40k universe were allowed. No Halo or Star Wars mods allowed, or other IPs.

Okay, I do understand the DLC now that they explained it. I'm still not happy with it, and I think "making the players happy" would involve having it in, but I understand.

Also I like the idea of Chaos being the new Mongols. I actually like Realm Divide a lot, and facing the same endboss sounds a little repetitive, but if they can do it right I'll be happy.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone was happy that we only get 4 races and Chaos was not included in that number.

But I understand why. While previous faction pacts were a little cash grabby, I hope that CA will make each faction feel as unique and exciting as the lore demands.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Just tell me when Skaven are added as a faction. I'll buy the game then :D

• Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    Just tell me when Skaven are added as a faction. I'll buy the game then :D

My guess: The next full standalone expansion.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Factions they might not include but I sure as hell hope they include are: Skaven, Beastmen, Chaos Dwarfs, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Kislev, Araby. And those are just the ones that have had army books! I'd love to see the hordes of the Hobgobla Khan or the forces of Ind or Cathay.

I also hope one of the DLC Leaders they add is a Goblin (Skarsnik or something) so I can play as a Goblin majority or Goblin lead force.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Goblins are acceptable to me as well as Skaven. As long as I can have those mushroom high duders with the ball and chain destroying everything nearby (including goblins).

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    In regards to modding, I understand locking down the assets due to IP... but unit stats tweaks? I wonder if all this means is that there won't be a "mod manager" button in the launcher and mods will just have to be installed manually and made without any official tools.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    The fact is that creating a new faction in this game is way more work than in most Total War games. Unit Rosters are 90% reusable assets in Rome 2 or Attila, but here you would need at least all new models for each unit per faction.

So yeah, I am fine with the DLC situation. I was fine with it before I read that, though, so I don't know how effective it'll be on the previously malcontented.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Wait, Keslev and Abray had books at one point?

Also @Lord_Asmodeus where are the elves?

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options

Also @Lord_Asmodeus where are the elves?

Knife-ears are pompous condescending bastards.

They deserve nothing but scorn.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    I've never seen these mythical "unplayable releases".
    Rome 2 worked just fine from day one. Sure, they've changed the game a lot since then, but it worked fine from the start.

Rome 2 had some pretty egregious bugs on siege ai (both your units and the enemy).

One that has survived in Attila is that if there is a broken wall, units will try to go through it even if you order them to attack a gate or climb a ladder somewhere else.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I also hope that they bring along Lizardmen and Beastmen at some point. I think that there's enough flavor there to give some good units and mechanics. Skaven would be fun, but they'd have to make them very individually weak so that they could make their armies just gigantic.

I also would love Tomb Kings, but doubling up with Vampires on undead might not be wise.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

Also Lord_Asmodeus where are the elves?

Apparently so, don't know how long it lasted but they did technically have some rules.

As for the Elves, I mentioned the Druchi, but I expect the other two breeds to be in regardless.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Bigity wrote: »
    Goblins are acceptable to me as well as Skaven. As long as I can have those mushroom high duders with the ball and chain destroying everything nearby (including goblins).

I'm having a seriously hard time figuring out what factions the next two games are going to include. At least I remember them talking about making three standalone games with maps that slot together, it's possible I completely dreamed that up.

The easiest way to make the next game would seem to be moving just a bit west, to include Bretonnia, Beastmen, Wood Elves and one more evil faction. Skaven would work, and possibly make the map more interesting by including an underground element (it would otherwise be tiny compared to the map of the first game).

The problem is that the beastmen lack the recognizability of orcs, vampires and dwarves. Ditto with the skaven, but they are still ten times more varied and politically complicated than the goat men.

And then you run completely out of reasonable regions to use! Like, would the next game be Dark Elves, High Elves, Lizardmen and Tomb Kings? That would multiply the size of the map by a factor of ten, with huge oceans between each of the factions.

Vic on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Apparently so, don't know how long it lasted but they did technically have some rules.

I think Kislev had a short pack-in for 6th edition that came with White Dwarf. I don't think Araby has ever had anything official.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

I think Kislev had a short pack-in for 6th edition that came with White Dwarf. I don't think Araby has ever had anything official.

Looking into it, they apparently had a full run as a Warmaster army, with a full array of models and rules alongside all the other nations.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I remember Kislev list, they had minis for winged lancers and everything. Tilea had a fun DOW based tilea list too.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Great time to pick up some TW content on the steam sale right now. I just grabbed all the culture packs for Attila for like ten bucks total.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Ouchies. Are they saying they are not providing mod tools, or that the game will be closed off from ANY modding?

Because it's not like I want tons of new models and textures, but some simple stat edits would be nice. Or edits to politics, city development, etc. Like all those mods that rebalance empire building and such.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    For anyone who still plays Rome 2 multiplayer, there's a multiplayer rebalance mod you might want to try. It's called the Blademaster Balance Mod. I gave it a try today and got my butt handed to me many times. Right now it seems like pikes might be a bit overbuffed, but it's at least trying to make more of the factions competitive.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Charlemagne expansion announced for Total War Attila, the new UI looks quite neat..

http://store.steampowered.com/news/19445/

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    For anyone interested in total warhammer they have a first look at the campaign map up and this week a walkthrough, or so I hear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Eheheheh ginger-headed stunties

edit: WOOOH! They fixed building lists and skill trees and the fightiness sounds awesome and there's more factions then I thought and though the cities are the Rome 2 kind I don't like and have that abstract look for buildings rather than nice art but they look gorgeous. I wonder if you can use Dorf bridges to travel quickly between karaks.

I'm curious how the expansions will look now. They put in more land than I thought they would. Maybe the first expansion will be expanding North and South where we could see the Elven parts of the North and Kislev and see Tilea or whatever not-Spain and not-Italy are called. Then maybe east and west where we could see Araby and that Elf home island and not-Americas where the Dark Elves and beastmen live.

Edit 2: I would be sooo happy if they introduced a mercenary system like in the Medieval 2 mod Rage of the Dark Gods where you buy a captain for a lump sum, and that gives you a little stack of 5 troops plus the captain, but it also allows you to recruit the mercs of that captain in specific building chain for mercs in general until that captain dies. I would love it if you could hire mercs from other nations and even really far away places like Cathay or Nippon. Even if it was just slightly reskinned Shogun 2 models I would love playing around with a group of samurai units in my army or outfitting my Empire force with Tilean mercenaries

Edit 3: guys, I think they separated the different parts of the empire rather than have it all just be one faction controlling all of it. I see different flahs for Middenland and Reikland and Talabacland. So either the hero you choose will decide what part of the Empire you control like in Rage of the Dark Gods, or maybe they did a really cool aesthetic thing where depending on where you spawn an army it will use that region's flag and general models. That would be rad as FUCK!

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    G9qE8u1.jpg
    World Map
    Spoiler'd for giant

Apparently Tilea and Estalia are in the game. We might be able to see the start of Araby.

I am excite-bike for Warhammer. I think I'm going to wait for a Game of the Year/Complete edition before buying though. Now that a lot of the main Old World map are in the game, I'm curious where the expansions will go. I asume they'll go to the Asur main isle and the not-Americas, and maybe east and slightly south to see Araby and East to see the other non-Norska Chaos tribes (and maybe Nippon and Cathay? Though those are a longshot)

Edit: There are about 51 provinces.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Maybe Naggaroth/Ulthuan and Lustria? Hard to say really. I would love to see Lustria.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    The history and lands in Warhammer Fantasy are so cheesy.

If you thought Ferrus Manus of the Iron Hands and Corvus Corax of the Ravenguard were on the nose meet Curious Gesar the First Citizen of Remas and Marco Columbo the explorer of the New World.

Edit: they seem to have futzed about with the map a bit. Estalia is supposed to be almost as big as Brettonia and Tilea is supposed to be half the size of the Empire.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    The history and lands in Warhammer Fantasy are so cheesy.

If you thought Ferrus Manus of the Iron Hands and Corvus Corax of the Ravenguard were on the nose meet Curious Gesar the First Citizen of Remas and Marco Columbo the explorer of the New World.

Edit: they seem to have futzed about with the map a bit. Estalia is supposed to be almost as big as Brettonia and Tilea is supposed to be half the size of the Empire.

How much futzing are they allowed to do, though

I thought Games Workshop was all about their stupid-ass lore and canon and whatnot

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    expansion wise Im thinking like everyone they'll make one to the West, add in the High and Dark Elves/Lustria, and one to the East/south, adding in the Tomb King/land past the worlds edge mountains (Chaos dwarves, Ogres etc) Probably work a way to get Skaven in that second expansion

This discussion has been closed.